2016-2017 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if for the program selection we are supposed to fill in responses to the questions "please describe your interest in public health" and the one about Bioethics if we're just selecting the MD program only?
The text box disappears when you select 'MD Only' for the second question under the "Program Select" tab.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if for the program selection we are supposed to fill in responses to the questions "please describe your interest in public health" and the one about Bioethics if we're just selecting the MD program only?
If I remember correctly, the text boxes to answer those questions only appeared upon selection of that particular program. So if you select MD only as the program you're interested, there shouldn't even be the option to describe interest in public health or bioethics

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences. (200 Words)"

For this one, do we just list the experiences? Didn't we already put everything on Work/Activities?
I did mine in narrative form.

Ex. From (start month) to (end month) 20xx, I volunteered/worked at X hospital as (position name). My duties included (very brief description of duties).

I then went onto the next clinical activities. Yes it is basically a rehashing of the clinical experiences in the work and activities section of AMCAS, but try to use different wording.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

For the health-related experiences question, did you guys include research?

For the health-related experiences question, did you guys include research?
If it's clinical research you could probably include it, but mine was basic science research (in cancer), so I didn't

If it's clinical research you could probably include it, but mine was basic science research (in cancer), so I didn't

I did not look at it like a rehash or a list of dates of activities and duties. I looked at it as more of a descriptive summary of all health related activities.

Does anyone know if they screen for secondaries?

They do. If you scored less than a 27 overall or less than a 7 in any section of the old MCAT you will not receive a secondary. For the new MCAT if you scored less than a 500 or less than a 123 in any section you are screened out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
For shadowing experiences, did you guys write about what you did necessarily, or what you learned? Because I feel that most duties that surround shadowing are pretty similar, but what everyone takes away from those experiences can be rather unique

For shadowing experiences, did you guys write about what you did necessarily, or what you learned? Because I feel that most duties that surround shadowing are pretty similar, but what everyone takes away from those experiences can be rather unique

I specified that I had shadowed in OR and clinic and then briefly talked about what I learned about the doctor-patient interaction and about the workday of a physician

calling MSTP applicants - when they ask for a description in our list of significant research experiences, do I need to craft new responses? Or can I more or less take my descriptions from the research essay for the primary

I see on their site that they want three letters. I'm wondering if I should submit a fourth letter that I have or hold out and only submit the three. Thoughts?

I see on their site that they want three letters. I'm wondering if I should submit a fourth letter that I have or hold out and only submit the three. Thoughts?

You can submit up to 8.

Are you sure? On the admissions site it says, "Applicants are not encouraged to send additional letters of recommendation; however, all letters submitted to the AMCAS Letter Service and released to Emory School of Medicine by the applicant will be received by the Office of Admissions."

So I'm guessing they don't want any more than three? But they'll still take and read all of them? Kinda strange.

I submitted four letters because I am a graduate student (one letter is from my academic and thesis advisor).

Are you sure? On the admissions site it says, "Applicants are not encouraged to send additional letters of recommendation; however, all letters submitted to the AMCAS Letter Service and released to Emory School of Medicine by the applicant will be received by the Office of Admissions."

So I'm guessing they don't want any more than three? But they'll still take and read all of them? Kinda strange.

Not encouraged =/= discouraged. They're just saying they're not encouraging more than 3 as it wouldn't give you an advantage over those with 3, but you can still send them.

That figure is from the most recent MSAR data. But I found on their website:

"May I send additional letters of recommendation?

You may submit additional letters of recommendation, but keep in mind that the Admissions Committee may not be able to read an excessive amount of letters. Please limit additional letters to just a few."

I think that means you're fine if you send more than 3. Just don't inundate them.

For people who received secondaries: how long after your primary was processed did you receive the emory secondary?

For people who received secondaries: how long after your primary was processed did you receive the emory secondary?

AMCAS verified 6/24, secondary invitation 6/28.
Secondary submitted 7/1 - I think it was pretty strong (LizzyM 77-78, good essays.. I think), but still waiting for a response.:whistle:

AMCAS verified 6/24, secondary invitation 6/28.
Secondary submitted 7/1 - I think it was pretty strong (LizzyM 77-78, good essays.. I think), but still waiting for a response.:whistle:
It looks like Emory takes a while before they start sending out IIs. Last year it was mid-late August.

Just submitted the secondary, after about 2.5 weeks, eek. I got behind.
OOS LizzyM 79 with two parent alums of the SOM, we'll see what happens!

Emory does not start reviewing applications until after M1 orientation. So, it will be a few weeks until II go out.

Reactions: 6 users
For the last question on the secondary that asks about new information or updates since the primary, do you think it would be appropriate to talk about the upward trend in my GPA? I'd like to talk about that somewhere, but maybe should leave it blank if it's not like a new application update?

For the last question on the secondary that asks about new information or updates since the primary, do you think it would be appropriate to talk about the upward trend in my GPA? I'd like to talk about that somewhere, but maybe should leave it blank if it's not like a new application update?
Because your gpa is already on your primary I wouldn't mention it there. I think it's best to just keep any answers to strictly what the prompt is asking and not risk annoying whoever is reading your app

UGH!

I finished this entire secondary on July 6th. I only just now realized I never actually hit the final submit button. Ugh this sucks so much. One of my top choices. :(

@ChrisMack390 Don't worry.. this happened to me too last year. I didn't actually click "submit" until August 4th. It worked out okay. ;)

UGH!

I finished this entire secondary on July 6th. I only just now realized I never actually hit the final submit button. Ugh this sucks so much. One of my top choices. :(

@ChrisMack390 Don't worry.. this happened to me too last year. I didn't actually click "submit" until August 4th. It worked out okay. ;)

does submitting the secondary earlier really affect the order they review apps? I know Emory adcoms haven't even started reviewing apps yet but when they do, do they review them in order of file complete date?

UGH!

Thank you for posting that because it wasn't until I saw your post that I decided to check the portal and see that I did the exact same thing.:rolleyes::(
I would have spent $160 to wait and hear back from a school that I technically didn't even apply to.

Thank you for posting that because it wasn't until I saw your post that I decided to check the portal and see that I did the exact same thing.:rolleyes::(
I would have spent $160 to wait and hear back from a school that I technically didn't even apply to.
You already have 6 II's? That's awesome, congrats.

Yup, that's why I try to post about app progress on here!

I have a feeling IIs are coming this week

I have a feeling IIs are coming this week

Idk last year they started sending them in September I think according to last year's thread.
That'd be nice though if they started sooner!

Idk last year they started sending them in September I think according to last year's thread.
That'd be nice though if they started sooner!

Ohh I think that was abnormal? I spoke to one of the deans who sits on admissions and he said they should start reviewing next week. I'm hoping starts reviewing = starts sending IIs.

Ohh I think that was abnormal? I spoke to one of the deans who sits on admissions and he said they should start reviewing next week. I'm hoping starts reviewing = starts sending IIs.

Wait really? Omg that'd be awesome.

Wait really? Omg that'd be awesome.

2014 they started II late August so I'm thinking September was definitely an anomaly. Either way it's good to know that they will be physically starting the review process!

Thats interesting. I looked at the school-specific threads for the 3 cycles before this one, and it looks like IIs came late august/early september. A few schools have sent out IIs earlier than usual this year, so you never know. I still think that it will be late august this year (based on my completely unfounded opinion).

Anyone know how Emory handles applicants who are missing course requirements? My undergrad, for example, did not offer an Orgo I lab... so I only have 7 hours of Organic. Would I have to take the lab somewhere else if accepted?