2016-2017 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, PDF form)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They want a 2 page PDF as a secondary essay? That's unique lol

hey folks. i'm writing my g-town secondary and I need some help. What are some characteristics of the school I can write about? is it true pass/fail? I tried to glean info from the website but i'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
right. got that down. but concretely: what's special about their curriculum? is it true pass/fail? the website was ambiguous. anything awesome abotu the DC health system?

It is P/F for first 2 years and and H/HP/P/LP after that

Reactions: 1 user
So when they say 1,000 characters is that with or without spaces?

^was wondering the same thing for some of my other secondary essays.

Last edited:
(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
I guess I'll go on the watch, since a thorough perusal of my inbox unveiled nothing.

Would you mind sharing the questions?

Last edited:
(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they screen? I was verified in time to go to schools yesterday but haven't gotten their secondary yet (checked spam)

According to MSAR the secondary is sent to all applicants. We probably just need to keep our eyes out for the secondary while being patient for its arrival...and I'm not doing so well at the latter.

Hey! You are an incoming MS1 at Georgetown! Can you tell me what made you choose Georgetown?

I went to a Jesuit school for high school and college and have grown greatly with the Jesuit ideal of cura personalis, so it was a place that I felt at home. Also, I liked that the curriculum (for my year at least) is mostly lecture based with some small group. Everyone that I know at Georgetown only has great things to say about it, and the faculty seem super approachable! The area is very nice also!

Could be an obvious question...but would writing about my gap year job be an appropriate response for prompt #2? (the additional info one)

Didn't you write about that on AMCAS work/activities

No, I figured I would save discussion of future activities for the secondaries and focus on the things I had already completed during undergrad. Plus it gives me something interesting to discuss so I'm not redundant.

If you haven't started it, I suggest not talking about it.

No I have! I started my job June 1st so when I submitted my app June 7th (and had only completed 40 hours) I figured it would be something better to discuss once I had a longer experience in it (now one month in).

Hoping for some love since I live in the DC metro area (VA resident). Longshot with 3.66/508!

Applying here, verified last week. No secondary yet.

checked the website and this is what they said about secondaries:
"Our Secondary Application is emailed to all applicants, beginning in July. We do not pre-screen applicants. Applicants with AMCAS applications verified before July will receive their Secondary Application invitation within the first 5-7 business days of July and applicants with AMCAS applications verified on or after July 1 will receive their invitation within 5-7 business days of the date of verification. The email is sent from [email protected] with the subject line: Secondary Application Invitation. If you do not receive the invitation email please check your spam, junk or bulk mail folders before contacting the Office of Admissions."

Not too worried for now :)

Last edited:
Also received and submitted my secondary!

Edit: complete 6/29

Last edited:
It is seriously cruel that they do not screen for this huge secondary. :arghh:

Reactions: 2 users
Received this morning! Dang, they don't mess around!

Are you all putting anything in the "further information" category? I feel like I don't have anything else to elaborate on, but I don't want to leave it blank either!

Are you all putting anything in the "further information" category? I feel like I don't have anything else to elaborate on, but I don't want to leave it blank either!

Probably not... because the one prompt is already a "diversity" type of essay and the other is a "Why Georgetown?" and those are probably the only two things I would ever add in as additional information (i.e. Why you should like/choose me and why I want to go to your school).

I feel the same way

So I just want to make sure , the first prompt is a typical diversity essay right ?

Received, submitted, and ready to rumble.

Do they really expect us to write a full two pages on how amazingtastic Georgetown is? I heard they had a reputation for being full of themselves but this is ridiculous...

Reactions: 1 users
Do they really expect us to write a full two pages on how amazingtastic Georgetown is? I heard they had a reputation for being full of themselves but this is ridiculous...

Good thing is they say... "formatting at your discretion".... do you can do a bit of spacing and make it look aesthetically pleasing. I personally am going to focus more on saying what I want to say and making sure its at least a page, then that's it lol I think when I feel like I should add more, I just start rambling and it just ends up silly.

For the additional info essay, would it be ok to talk about a very meaningful experience from one of my ECs that I could not talk about in the primary due to lack of space .

For the additional information essay, would it be good to update them on what I'm doing this summer (public health research with a policy publication in August)?

Same as last year's prompts.

The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1-2 pages, PDF form)

What is there isn't any further information that we would like the committee to know? Should we always write something?

I've been looking through their website/MSAR but can't find hardly anything about GUSOM. Are there any current students -- undergrad or M1-4's -- that can explain what sets GUSOM apart? All I could find it talking about was Cura Personalis. It just doesn't say much. I'm sure it's a great school, and I'm Catholic so I'm sure it fits what I'm looking for very well. They're just secretive on the internet for some reason. Thanks!

I thought they had an enormous amount of information on their website. If you can't find anything on there then I don't know what to tell you, there is a boat load of stuff
I found the modules for the curriculums and different student programs, finally. Not sure why I couldn't the first time. Computers are hard I guess.