2016-2017 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you fine folk =)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm makes me think that these update waitlist emails are just automated and not a true reflection of the seats available

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if this includes grants/institutional loans?
good question. i thought both, though loans could change yearly depending on the cost of attendance, since for some people total loans = COA - grants.

Mind sharing your stats, when you interview and waitlisted, and how many letter of intent you sent in?

UG: 3.3 (Ivy league)
Post-bacc: 4.0
Master's degree: 4.0
MCAT: 514
LizzyM score of 65
I interviewed in December, I was waitlisted in February.
I relied heavily on that wedge applicant scoring system when I put my applications in...
Currently working full-time as a scribe/MA/doctor's assistant and completing a full-time masters
A crap ton of community service like thousands of hours (Americorps, rocking babies, feeding homeless, tutoring refugees etc) a lot of which were in the DC area (first place I ever officially volunteered was GUH as a teenager)
A crap ton of extracurriculars throughout my life (performed abroad, etc)
Shadowed like 12 doctors in different specialties over the past 10 years
I sent in 4 letters of intent (one every month after my interview), but I had already sent in 3 or 4 update letters, and had 5 local MDs send in additional letters of rec after I was waitlisted
Can you tell I wanted to go here BADLY? lol I've known since I was probably 5 years old that I wanted to be a doctor and go to georgetown for undergrad and/or medical school. I used VERY strong language that I wanted to go here, I wanted to be a doctor in the DC area and give back to my community.

Don't give up hope btw! A girl I know just got off the waitlist yesterday so its not impossible. If you really want to go somewhere, tell them and tell them a lot. My letters were sometimes like "in response to the new US government and its actions towards healthcare, I think its increasingly prudent to serve those people who need us the most. we have a duty to our fellow citizens and those living in our country and I want to help them no matter what it takes" or something like that....I don't remember exactly. Other times I was just updating them on my grades and continued desire to go to georgetown and that if accepted I would go. Good luck to all who are still waiting!

How do you become a part of the Facebook group?

To those who applied last year, for the "why Georgetown" long essay question, is it 1-2 pages with double space? Or single space? Thank you!

To those who applied last year, for the "why Georgetown" long essay question, is it 1-2 pages with double space? Or single space? Thank you!

Single space, but they changed it to 1 page in August I think? Just double check with admissions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi,
I know this post may be a little random but I'm going to be an M1 at Howard university this coming fall. I just got a two bedroom condo in D.C. and I'm looking for a roommate. I understand that there might be students still looking for places, so I wanted to extend the offer to students who are from other medical schools in the D.C. area. If anyone in this forum has been accepted and is interested in being roommates, please message me. If you guys have a Facebook page, feel free to share this info with your classmates. Good luck everyone, sorry for the disruption!

Any kind hearted matriculants/current students available to provide comments on the secondary draft I pre-wrote?

Parking permit question: If you are going to be living in an Advisory Neighborhood Commission that does not allow Reciprocity Permits for University students, does this only apply to undergraduate students? Can med students get reciprocity permits in the surrounding Georgetown area even in Advisory Neighborhood Commissions that don't normally allow student parking? My hope is to no have to switch my license and vehicle registration to D.C.

Thank you!

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Masters in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology or
Physiology (regular MS or SMP) programs? I'm just looking for some insight into these programs and which would be best for me to improve my application as well as prepare me better for medical school. Also if you know anyone in these programs please do help me get into contact with them, I'm looking for info about class size, linkage etc. Thanks y'all!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

Any information on this program would be greatly appreciated! I would post a new thread but unfortunately I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do so....=/

Parking permit question: If you are going to be living in an Advisory Neighborhood Commission that does not allow Reciprocity Permits for University students, does this only apply to undergraduate students? Can med students get reciprocity permits in the surrounding Georgetown area even in Advisory Neighborhood Commissions that don't normally allow student parking? My hope is to no have to switch my license and vehicle registration to D.C.

Thank you!

Not a current student but attended in undergrad. But ANYONE undergrad or not has to switch their plates when living in DC. I lived in Gtown for six years, if you park on the street in a residential area you will get ticketed. And they will track the length of time that you have been "residential" and after 30 days those fines skyrocket in the 100s, per day that you have been there.
There is also no student parking on campus, there is a public garage that is about $25 a day. Most people who need to drive to campus rent a parking spot from people in the neighborhood, in which case it should be off street, if it's on street you need the correct residential zone pass.
Public street parking in the area are all metered with 2hr maxes, and yes they check. Like every 30 mins.

DC parking enforcement is a big revenue stream and they police it very harshly.

Not a current student but attended in undergrad. But ANYONE undergrad or not has to switch their plates when living in DC. I lived in Gtown for six years, if you park on the street in a residential area you will get ticketed. And they will track the length of time that you have been "residential" and after 30 days those fines skyrocket in the 100s, per day that you have been there.
There is also no student parking on campus, there is a public garage that is about $25 a day. Most people who need to drive to campus rent a parking spot from people in the neighborhood, in which case it should be off street, if it's on street you need the correct residential zone pass.
Public street parking in the area are all metered with 2hr maxes, and yes they check. Like every 30 mins.

DC parking enforcement is a big revenue stream and they police it very harshly.

Thank you for the in depth advice!