2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From my conversation with the Dean of Admissions, she mentioned that all U.S medical schools at this time of the cycle should have a full class. Thus, many applicants might have interviewed for a spot on the waitlist (even at other schools) without even knowing it. However, the waitlist is not a death sentence mainly because Downstate takes a big chunk of students from it to fill up their class. It is also worth noting that she also mentioned that the waitlist is ranked. However, because some applicants might have the same ranking, the committee is flexible with the ranking and might look at other variables to make acceptance decisions. Lastly, she said that they know which applicants have multiple acceptances since mid-February. Hence, the committee has started contacting some of them to determine who is really committed to Downstate or who is still gauging his/her options. Overall, do not lose hope quite yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From my conversation with the Dean of Admissions, she mentioned that all U.S medical schools at this time of the cycle should have a full class. Thus, many applicants might have interviewed for a spot on the waitlist (even at other schools) without even knowing it. However, the waitlist is not a death sentence mainly because Downstate takes a big chunk of students from it to fill up their class. It is also worth noting that she also mentioned that the waitlist is ranked. However, because some applicants might have the same ranking, the committee is flexible with the ranking and might look at other variables to make acceptance decisions. Lastly, she said that they know which applicants have multiple acceptances since mid-February. Hence, the committee has started contacting some of them to determine who is really committed to Downstate or who is still gauging his/her options. Overall, do not lose hope quite yet.

Do you know when the last acceptances went out for non alternate list? I interviewed on 02/22 and haven't heard anything.. I'm starting to get worried since traffic day starts in 4 days.

Do you know when the last acceptances went out for non alternate list? I interviewed on 02/22 and haven't heard anything.. I'm starting to get worried since traffic day starts in 4 days.
I have no idea but seems like the class has been filled for a couple of months already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am withdrawing for sure. I hope waitlist moves soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew here post acceptance, good luck everyone waiting!!

Reactions: 4 users
Next two weeks should be interesting...

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed on 4/12, has anyone from that day or later heard back yet? Do we know if we'll hear back before the waitlist begins to move? I'm planning on calling admissions tomorrow so I'll update if I get any info from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year traffic day was Monday may 2 and acceptances went out on Friday may 6. This year traffic day was today may 1 so they will prob send some out on Friday may 5.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the helpful info! Praying for all the good people still waiting to hear some good news soon

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on 4/12, has anyone from that day or later heard back yet? Do we know if we'll hear back before the waitlist begins to move? I'm planning on calling admissions tomorrow so I'll update if I get any info from them.

Were you able to contact admissions? I interviewed 02/22 and haven't heard back. Let me know :) thank you

Any accepted NYS applicant have to still submit a NYS residency application for tuition purposes? (Via the incomplete on the portal). I find that to be so odd.

I don't see that as a requirement on my checklist, and am a NYS resident

If you will be graduating this year from an NYS undergraduate institution, you don't have to submit the in state application. But if you had gap years then you have to send them documents to prove that you've been living in NYS in the past year.

Just got the alternate list email- still says the class is full. I'd think that if they waited until 5/2 that wouldn't be the case, but also wouldn't be surprised if they just recycled the email. Interviewed 3/20

If you will be graduating this year from an NYS undergraduate institution, you don't have to submit the in state application. But if you had gap years then you have to send them documents to prove that you've been living in NYS in the past year.

Thank you!

Hey so just to clarify:

I went to school is NYS for the past 4 years and lived here all 4 years. I also worked some jobs etc but I never changed my drivers license. I also filed my taxes in NYS

But on AMCAS I listed my original residence (nj) as my home address and my current residence (nyc) as my current address.

You're saying I do not need to do the residency application for IS tuition?

Just got the alternate list email- still says the class is full. I'd think that if they waited until 5/2 that wouldn't be the case, but also wouldn't be surprised if they just recycled the email. Interviewed 3/20

I just got the same email, interviewed 3/23.

Hey so just to clarify:

I went to school is NYS for the past 4 years and lived here all 4 years. I also worked some jobs etc but I never changed my drivers license. I also filed my taxes in NYS

But on AMCAS I listed my original residence (nj) as my home address and my current residence (nyc) as my current address.

You're saying I do not need to do the residency application for IS tuition?
That's what I was told in my acceptance letter, but you better confirm with the admissions.

Did anyone else get the alternate checklist username & password email?

Reactions: 3 users
I used the login they sent me and selected fall 2017 and it worked.

Did anyone else get the alternate checklist username & password email?
I did also! I was actually wondering which of the tasks from the checklist we are expected to complete as we wait for a decision. Does anyone have insight on this?

Should I be worried one of my letters called them the "school of medicine" and I called it the "alternative" list :(

-a very anxious lady

Should I be worried one of my letters called them the "school of medicine" and I called it the "alternative" list :(

-a very anxious lady
Yeah pack your bags you're headed to the Caribbean.

I wonder if there will be a lot of movement this year since there class was still full yesterday

Hey, I have two questions about the items on the checklists.
Number one, where do we submit the Signed Technical Standards Form?
And number two, does it say complete for you guys for the college transcript part? I dont have a check mark but in the comment section it says my university, however without a date.

Any of you guys have an answer for this?

And number two, does it say complete for you guys for the college transcript part? I dont have a check mark but in the comment section it says my university, however without a date.

It says submit to admissions and even has a link to how to contact them lol. I'm just going to do what I did with the alternate response form and email it.

I think we are supposed to send a copy of the transcript directly to the school unlike before when we sent it to AMCAS...

It says submit to admissions and even has a link to how to contact them lol. I'm just going to do what I did with the alternate response form and email it.
It says if you have any questions contact them. Just wanted to make sure I didnt miss any sort of upload link

I think we are supposed to send a copy of the transcript directly to the school unlike before when we sent it to AMCAS...
You think so? Thats odd. Dont they already have our transcript?

On the information page it says this:

"This form should be submitted directly to the Office of Student Admissions"
"The Office of Student admissions may be reached via email: [email protected]"

So I'm assuming it applies to other forms as well. I asked about the transcript thing in the email.

If I interviewed on 3/23, should I expect to hear back this week?