2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students/matriculating students doing MD-MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I crazy or are there no attached health forms? I just see names of forms but nothing corresponding to it. I might be missing something really obvious :|

You will get an email soon with a link to an accepted students page. You can access the health forms through there. I was accepted back in March and I just finally got the link for the health forms a couple days ago. Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I crazy or are there no attached health forms? I just see names of forms but nothing corresponding to it. I might be missing something really obvious :|
You can access them here: Health Forms. Then you send them all as one PDF to the student health email.

I'm most probably going to downstate. Sending in my deposit now. If my two options were Downstate or NYMC which schools would you guys choose and why? Thanks, just thinking about some stuff.

I had to choose between the same two options and obviously chose downstate. Did this for many reasons. 1. Pass fail curriculum 2. Integrated curriculum > old school curriculum. 3. Being closer to the city and not in the middle of nowhere. 4. Clinical affiliations. 5. Overall vibe. Not once did I regret this decision. I know people at nymc and their morale is way lower than ours is at downstate. I can't stress enough how balanced students here remain.

Would any current Downstate students be available for me to PM some questions? Recently accepted as OOS student and want to ask some questions about moving to Brooklyn, IS tuition transition, etc. I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :)

Would any current Downstate students be available for me to PM some questions? Recently accepted as OOS student and want to ask some questions about moving to Brooklyn, IS tuition transition, etc. I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :)

Gladly. Though as an in-state/on campus student I am not entirely sure how I can help!

Struggling to figure out how to claim IS because I've been at NYU for 4 years and had an apartment for 2 years but I filed taxes as a CA person. Anyone have advice for me :/ not sure who to contact because financial aid will probably prefer me to be OOS for the $$$

Reactions: 1 users
Got off the waitlist 2 days ago :) I interviewed in December, LM=69. Absolutely thrilled!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
How do I pay the deposit?? I haven't received a username or password yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Struggling to figure out how to claim IS because I've been at NYU for 4 years and had an apartment for 2 years but I filed taxes as a CA person. Anyone have advice for me :/ not sure who to contact because financial aid will probably prefer me to be OOS for the $$$

Are you registered to vote or have a NYS drivers lisense? You can prove NYS residency using those as opposed to your taxes. There are other ways too (bills for 12 months etc). The alternatives are listed on the application!

Are you registered to vote or have a NYS drivers lisense? You can prove NYS residency using those as opposed to your taxes. There are other ways too (bills for 12 months etc). The alternatives are listed on the application!
Thanks! No I didn't because I didn't see the point... I was voting from CA and didn't change my ID. But bills would work! I can't remember if the original secondary asked for us to specify if we were an NY resident because I wouldn't have identified as one. Which app are you talking about?? You were a huge help!

Thanks! No I didn't because I didn't see the point... I was voting from CA and didn't change my ID. But bills would work! I can't remember if the original secondary asked for us to specify if we were an NY resident because I wouldn't have identified as one. Which app are you talking about?? You were a huge help!
I'm switching my license this week but they may find that sketchy

I remember in my acceptance letter, it says if you attend a nys undergraduate institution and graduating this year, they will automatically bill you as in state student, only if you have had gap years, you would have to send them documents to prove that you've been living in ny in the past year. You should probably let the admissions know that you attend nyu, an official transcript will do. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone contact Dr. Gerber directly, or is it the most appropriate to email all letters to the main medadmissions email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do we need to pay the deposit before we send in our acceptance form? I'm still in the decision making process and just received an email saying that the deposit is due now

How did you guys send transcripts in? My school can do it electronically, but I am unsure of what address to put.

If you have proof of 12 months rents in NY, a NY voter's card, a NY ID, and 12 months of bank statements with a NY address, you meet the points.

Did you work in NY? Then you would need to have filed a NY state income tax form, which would get you 2 of the 4 points you need for proof.

Otherwise, you won't be considered a resident yet. There are students in our class who went to college in NY who are not considered residents this year.

Edit: sorry, didn't see that other people already responded, but here is the info again

Withdrew from SUNY Downstate today, I hope my spot goes out to one of you!! <3 :)

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know the protocol for submitting the stuff on the Admissions Checklist? Do we just mail it all to the office of admissions address (Office of Student Admissions, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Avenue, MSC 60, Brooklyn, NY 11203-2098) or can we email the smaller stuff, like vaccine records and passport photocopy, to [email protected]?

Also, why do they not have my transcripts or Certiphi background check from AAMC? Does AAMC not release this to them? So we have to get copies and mail them ourselves?

Sorry if these are redundant questions, I got accepted via email but I haven't gotten an acceptance package in the mail yet so maybe the instructions are in there.

Seriously agonized over the decision because I would have loved to go here but ultimately turned down my spot for another acceptance. Hope this helps out people still on the alternate list! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Seriously agonized over the decision because I would have loved to go here but ultimately turned down my spot for another acceptance. Hope this helps out people still on the alternate list! Good luck everyone!
I felt the same way, man.

Does anyone know the protocol for submitting the stuff on the Admissions Checklist? Do we just mail it all to the office of admissions address (Office of Student Admissions, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Avenue, MSC 60, Brooklyn, NY 11203-2098) or can we email the smaller stuff, like vaccine records and passport photocopy, to [email protected]?

Also, why do they not have my transcripts or Certiphi background check from AAMC? Does AAMC not release this to them? So we have to get copies and mail them ourselves?

Sorry if these are redundant questions, I got accepted via email but I haven't gotten an acceptance package in the mail yet so maybe the instructions are in there.

You can email all of the documents directly to the admissions email except for the health forms, those go to [email protected]

As for the background check, they more than likely have it if you completed it, but probably didn't update your checklist yet. I would suggest calling to make sure they update it! AAMC doesnt send the prospective schools the official transcript, so yes you have to get additional copies sent directly from your school to Downstate's office of admissions (to address you listed above).

Hope that helps!

Hi everyone,
I am writing this message in hopes that someone please gives up their spot on the Downstate waitlist. At this point in the cycle, I am absolutely devastated. I cannot sleep, cannot go a waking moment without thinking about whether I will get into medical school. For such a long time, I wanted to go to Downstate and I felt that I was a perfect fit there after interview day. In short, my time as a waitlisted candidate has been purely hell. While I know that someone giving up a spot on the waitlist does not guarantee me a spot in the class, it does increase my chances. So, please, I implore you...give up your spot if you know you are not going to Downstate. I really appreciate your time for reading this.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone,
I am writing this message in hopes that someone please gives up their spot on the Downstate waitlist. At this point in the cycle, I am absolutely devastated. I cannot sleep, cannot go a waking moment without thinking about whether I will get into medical school. For such a long time, I wanted to go to Downstate and I felt that I was a perfect fit there after interview day. In short, my time as a waitlisted candidate has been purely hell. While I know that someone giving up a spot on the waitlist does not guarantee me a spot in the class, it does increase my chances. So, please, I implore you...give up your spot if you know you are not going to Downstate. I really appreciate your time for reading this.

THIS! I am a reapplicant and it is my second time getting waitlisted here. Registered just so I could bump this important, beautiful message!

THIS! I am a reapplicant and it is my second time getting waitlisted here. Registered just so I could bump this important, beautiful message!
What happened the first time?

just withdrew my acceptance here
good luck to those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
You can email all of the documents directly to the admissions email except for the health forms, those go to [email protected]

As for the background check, they more than likely have it if you completed it, but probably didn't update your checklist yet. I would suggest calling to make sure they update it! AAMC doesnt send the prospective schools the official transcript, so yes you have to get additional copies sent directly from your school to Downstate's office of admissions (to address you listed above).

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much!!!! This is super helpful!

Accepted off of Alt list on 5/9...so excited!

Hi everyone,
yes, this sums up exactly how I have felt since interviewing in september and being passed over since :(

Did anyone on the alternate list just get an email just now about outstanding requirements and a PDF of what's missing in their file?

Did anyone on the alternate list just get an email just now about outstanding requirements and a PDF of what's missing in their file?

Yes. My heart skipped a beat getting that email, then I realized it was just about the requirements.

Did anyone also get a call about completing this checklist? I thought it was a call about acceptance. They are really testing me....!

Did anyone also get a call about completing this checklist? I thought it was a call about acceptance. They are really testing me....!

Did you get the call today? I'd probably see it as a good sign!

Did you get the call today? I'd probably see it as a good sign!
I think it may have been a hack. Look at the email address: it spelled 'admissions' incorrectly even though it is still Downstate.edu. Very weird