2016-2017 Underdogs thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start:
Indian male, 520 MCAT, 3.47 GPA
Applying to 37 schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you genuinely believe you are an underdog with a 520 MCAT? Is this real right now...

Reactions: 31 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are an underdog....for HMS.

But not for med admissions in general.

Reactions: 1 user
jesus christ your threads are dumb.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've done played the underdog my whole career
512 Mcat - 3.66 cgpa - 3.54 sgpa

Last edited:
dude I dream of having your kind of application cycle

Much appreciated! You'll probably do better than I did.

But I wouldn't call myself an underdog and neither are you lol

I know it's super easy to freak out and start thinking whatever your stats are aren't gonna cut it, but in reality you're fine. Around 40% of all applicants get accepted somewhere, and Imo that number is actually pretty high when you think about it.

I've done played the underdog my whole career
512 Mcat - 3.66 cgpa - 3.54 sgpa

You're not an underdog either. You have the stats of an average med school matriculant.

Reactions: 4 users
My stats/EC's/etc are good, but my PS and activity descriptions are garbage. Woe is me :oops: +pity+

It always blows my mind how people so dumb can get 520s on the MCAT haha

Reactions: 1 users
It always blows my mind how people so dumb can get 520s on the MCAT haha
eyy boss, can I habe da acceptance pls

Also I genuinely feel like the MCAT is the easiest part of the application process

Last edited:
Hey OP... as you are well aware... 520 score is like, in the 98th%.

Besides the fact that you scored higher than 98% of test takers, what makes you think you're an underdog? If anything you're the favorite.

:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

Hey OP... as you are well aware... 520 score is like, in the 98th%.

Besides the fact that you scored higher than 98% of test takers, what makes you think you're an underdog? If anything you're the favorite.

:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:
mediocre GPA and ORM status

You have no business making this thread.

When real underdogs come in here, how are they going to feel when they see that people with 520 MCATs are underdogs? This is seen as incredibly discouraging to real underdogs and perpetuates the stereotype that you need a 4.0/36 MCAT to get into medical school, which isn't true at all. OP you are not a underdog, but you do have an inferiority complex of some sort, and need to get that checked before entering medical school for real.

Reactions: 28 users

When real underdogs come in here, how are they going to feel when they see that people with 520 MCATs are underdogs? This is seen as incredibly discouraging to real underdogs and perpetuates the stereotype that you need a 4.0/36 MCAT to get into medical school, which isn't true at all. OP you are not a underdog, but you do have an inferiority complex of some sort, and need to get that checked before entering medical school for real.
Idk it really feels that way, especially when I see that these acceptance rates are all 1-2%

This thread feels like a microcosm of SDN as a whole

"Guys I have a 3.7 and a 518, which Carribean school should I shoot for???"

Reactions: 16 users

IMO I think his reason for making this thread is more of the classic pretty girl saying "look how ugly I am" so that everyone immediately goes "no you're not you're beautiful, yada yada" which makes her feel good. Also known as a "humblebrag." "Oh no, I only got interviews with Harvard and duke but Johns Hopkins rejected me, I'm so stupid right guys?"

Reactions: 13 users
IMO I think his reason for making this thread is more of the classic pretty girl saying "look how ugly I am" so that everyone immediately goes "no you're not you're beautiful, yada yada" which makes her feel good. Also known as a "humblebrag." "Oh no, I only got interviews with Harvard and duke but Johns Hopkins rejected me, I'm so stupid right guys?"
kek
as if I would expect that from SDN
also i'm used to my ego getting battered, no reason for me to get it inflated online
but in general this thread is 50% humorous 50% real

stannis the mannis strikes again

kek
as if I would expect that from SDN
also i'm used to my ego getting battered, no reason for me to get it inflated online
but in general this thread is 50% humorous 50% real

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
3.49 cGPA
~3.4 sGPA
512:128/124/129/131 MCAT

(actually applying for the 2018 cycle since I need more ECs and doing an informal post bacc).. lol

Posts like these make me wonder why I get on SDN.

Reactions: 13 users
This thread feels like a microcosm of SDN as a whole

"Guys I have a 3.7 and a 518, which Carribean school should I shoot for???"
Classic SDNer seeking validation thread. Feed my ego guys I'm an insecure ORM!!

521 MCAT
3.98 gpa
Should I do an SMP to show adcoms that my A- in quantum physics III doesn't reflect my academic potential?

Reactions: 9 users
4.0 GPA, 527 MCAT. Guys help I don't think I can get into Med School. Maybe CNU will accept me?? Would love some fellow underdog advice

521 MCAT
3.98 gpa
Should I do an SMP to show adcoms that my A- in quantum physics III doesn't reflect my academic potential?

I'd highly recommend doing that! Do you think I should retake my 526?? I got a 130 on CARS and I don't want adcoms to see that as unbalanced!

Guysss my A- in Creative Writing and my 129 CARS are going to sink my app. I'm practically illiterate. :p

Uh, I didn't. You said you thought you were an underdog because you were ORM.

"what makes you think you're an underdog?"

Insecure: not confident or assured; uncertain and anxious.

Do I really need to explain this?
Yeah, being ORM does affect my chances
It doesn't mean I'm automatically insecure
Idk why you have to go after my race, I've been a pretty good sport throughout this thread but this is too far

Yeah, being ORM does affect my chances
It doesn't mean I'm automatically insecure
Idk why you have to go after my race, I've been a pretty good sport throughout this thread but this is too far

I apologize, that wasn't my intention. I'm the same ORM as you and I'm sensitive to people using it as a scapegoat for thinking they won't get in. Just be the best applicant you can be, your stats are great and you have nothing to worry about :)

ORM female, c3.5/s3.3 gpa and 502 => 508 mcat :) I've been reading these underdog threads for years, finally applying this cycle. let's do this!

I apologize, that wasn't my intention. I'm the same ORM as you and I'm sensitive to people using it as a scapegoat for thinking they won't get in. Just be the best applicant you can be, your stats are great and you have nothing to worry about :)
thanks bro it's all good