2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my application from here-a very hard decision. Good luck to anyone still in the running!

Reactions: 6 users
Admissions tracker was updated to 503 admissions offers, which means there are ~30 more to go out, or this year is a departure from the normal.

I don't understand this rationale...isn't the class size 290?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't understand this rationale...isn't the class size 290?

People gave up their spots so more offers were made than 290. Happens at every school that more offers are made than seats available for this reason.

People gave up their spots so more offers were made than 290. Happens at every school that more offers are made than seats available for this reason.

I understand that; I didn't understand the ~30 more part...

Admissions tracker was updated to 503 admissions offers, which means there are ~30 more to go out, or this year is a departure from the normal.
How did you get the number of admissions offers from last year?

Looking at last year's thread.

I think the real amount accepted last year is actually a little more than 526 (which was the last number updated on the tracker) because people were still coming in to the thread afterwards saying they got accepted.

At least that's my hope.
I'm not sure what's going on then because the counselor wasn't afraid to say that it was highly unlikely I would see an offer due to the class size being full. I guess crazier things have happened though.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure what's going on then because the counselor wasn't afraid to say that it was highly unlikely I would see an offer due to the class size being full. I guess crazier things have happened though.
When did he/she say that to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news for anyone?

Not a word from anyone. App portal still says waitlist and never received a rejection. I've moved on to the new application with 10 days left but still really salty about how the waitlist was handled.

Honestly, it it ridiculous. The admissions comm should really fix consider their process...

I never get hopeful on Thursdays, it seems like Fridays are the most common days for acceptances.

It's over I think. Class was full for two weeks now.
I called them today and they said they just sent out more acceptances "in the past day" and that they will probably be sending out more acceptances before orientation starts. So there's still hope.

Reactions: 2 users
I called them today and they said they just sent out more acceptances "in the past day" and that they will probably be sending out more acceptances before orientation starts. So there's still hope.
Yeah, the issue is that if you call tomorrow you're just as likely to get someone who says that there has been no movement and the class is full. I'm still hopeful but trying to get accurate info about the waitlist is a total crap shoot.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, the issue is that if you call tomorrow you're just as likely to get someone who says that there has been no movement and the class is full. I'm still hopeful but trying to get accurate info about the waitlist is a total crap shoot.
You couldn't be more accurate.

I imagine that the admissions team has a gigantic spin wheel with random responses and give it a big ole spin whenever someone calls and asks about the wait list.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Called (couldn't resist)...same old same old..."yes offers have and will go out, yes class is full, but they really don't know, no I can't tell you anything...". It's not over till it's over!

Got a call today- accepted of waitlist!

OOS

Declined for another school. So offers are still going out!

Reactions: 5 users
Got a call today- accepted of waitlist!

OOS

Declined for another school. So offers are still going out!
Holy ****. Never has one post elicited such a roller coaster of emotions.

If you were recently accepted join the FB group. Also if you need a place to stay PM me I'm looking for a male roommate in my midtown town home

I think I hold the record for being on the waitlist the longest (7 months). Has anyone on Wayne's WL topped that, or any other med school for that matter?

I think I hold the record for being on the waitlist the longest (7 months). Has anyone on Wayne's WL topped that, or any other med school for that matter?
Interviewed November 7. Waitlist December something.

Interviewed in October, waitlisted in November. :/

Alas, this is the last week for us to get in off the waitlist since orientation starts Monday the 17th. This Friday is the last day anyone can get in, assuming they will have any more offers to send out. It's been a hell of a run, guys. Best of luck to all of you.

Last edited:
Alas, this is the last week for us to get in off the waitlist since orientation starts Monday the 17th. This Friday is the last day anyone can get in, assuming they will have any more offers to send out. It's been a hell of a run, guys.
Not to give anyone false hope but Wayne actually accepts people 2-3 weeks after the start of the semester at the end of July. I've spoken with residents and current med students and most Wayne classes in recent years have people who get called around the 2 week mark to start right away. There are students holding multiple acceptances that can't decide and wait until their school of choice finally starts to decline other schools. Wayne starts earlier than most other schools in the area.

Interviewed in August, waitlisted in October lol

Reactions: 1 user
Not to give anyone false hope but Wayne actually accepts people 2-3 weeks after the start of the semester at the end of July. I've spoken with residents and current med students and most Wayne classes in recent years have people who get called around the 2 week mark to start right away. There are students holding multiple acceptances that can't decide and wait until their school of choice finally starts to decline other schools. Wayne starts earlier than most other schools in the area.
No way. 2 weeks after classes start? Or 2 weeks after orientation (which is 2 weeks long)?

Plus I thought everyone who doesn't get an acceptance by orientation date (the 17th) will receive a rejection letter. Do they not send rejections to people on the waitlist when it's all over?

Last edited:
I received a phone call and email earlier today that I was accepted off the waitlist- my first acceptance! Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah I really don't think that's a thing. I've called them multiple times about when their deadline to offer places is and I've had multiple people tell me that they never accept people after orientation has started. Even if someone withdraws at the last minute then they just won't have a full class.

Yeah I really don't think that's a thing. I've called them multiple times about when their deadline to offer places is and I've had multiple people tell me that they never accept people after orientation has started. Even if someone withdraws at the last minute then they just won't have a full class.
Did they say that they'll send rejections to everyone on the waitlist that isn't accepted by orientation?

Trust me its a thing because I know people its personally happened to, 2 weeks after the semester started. There are instances where people just don't show up to orientation and Wayne tries to fill the spots. Others end up dropping for many different reasons and an accepted student told me today that even Wayne doesn't know an exact class size number yet.

Trust me its a thing because I know people its personally happened to, 2 weeks after the semester started. There are instances where people just don't show up to orientation and Wayne tries to fill the spots. Others end up dropping for many different reasons and an accepted student told me today that even Wayne doesn't know an exact class size number yet.
How do they catch up on 2 weeks of missed coursework? Not to mention the entire orientation that they missed.

I thought not accepting students after 1st day of orientation was a blanket AAMC rule for all the schools?