2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fair enough. It just feels like waitlist acceptances are trickling and that the expected bulk movement hasn't occurred yet. Though, I could be wrong, since I'm sure posts on here are not fully representative of the movement occurring.

From my own analysis of the FB Group, they are mainly accepting OOS students who have no acceptances to other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

From my own analysis of the FB Group, they are mainly accepting OOS students who have no acceptances to other schools.
The big movement could still be coming, you never know. I heard from some staff today that there are students with multiple acceptances who are arguing that the actual deadline is June 7. Wayne is now pressing them to get a decision. It would also make sense to take more IS students this late in the game.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I promise this is partially due to a lot of accepted Canadian OOS people dropping. The Canadian cycle is later, with fewer schools,and many apply to Wayne, thus, freeing spots for other OOS. Good luck.

I promise this is partially due to a lot of accepted Canadian OOS people dropping. The Canadian cycle is later, with fewer schools,and many apply to Wayne, thus, freeing spots for other OOS. Good luck.
Whatever's happening, it seems like something strange is going on. Why would such a drastic change in their acceptance pattern happen in only a year?

Whatever's happening, it seems like something strange is going on. Why would such a drastic change in their acceptance pattern happen in only a year?
Could be post- LCME changes taking effect and leading to other changes. Just speculating though.

not to throw a monkey wrench in all this speculation- but are we seriously basing this on facebook? whomever deserves an acceptance, will receive one as one becomes available-oos or is.

not that you in particular are doing this, but those who are sniping at OOS applicants and how "wayne must be trying to make their tuition money" are being really petty. don't risk alienating your potential future classmates by stooping, y'all.

In a sucky way it makes a lot of sense. Wayne is trying to make sure the OOS students they take aren't receiving tons of acceptances because it makes you look bad when a large percentage of acceptances are turned down. OOS students that don't take themselves off the wait list are generally hanging on because they don't have any other offers.

In a sucky way it makes a lot of sense. Wayne is trying to make sure the OOS students they take aren't receiving tons of acceptances because it makes you look bad when a large percentage of acceptances are turned down. OOS students that don't take themselves off the wait list are generally hanging on because they don't have any other offers.
Have you gotten in anywhere else?

It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to suddenly want a lot more OOS people, though let's hope the big wave for IS people is still coming (even though it probably isn't).

not to throw a monkey wrench in all this speculation- but are we seriously basing this on facebook? whomever deserves an acceptance, will receive one as one becomes available-oos or is.

not that you in particular are doing this, but those who are sniping at OOS applicants and how "wayne must be trying to make their tuition money" are being really petty. don't risk alienating your potential future classmates by stooping, y'all.

^^^^^ Overreacting. Take it easy, people are just talking

Members don't see this ad :)
Throw away account, I only check SDN periodically anyways and never really post (like plenty of other people....). Just thought it'd might be helpful to let people know that IS applicants on the waitlist are getting accepted.

I'm OOS and got accepted last Friday, and an IS friend of mine also got accepted off the waitlist that day as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I would have to agree with Visible Ghost. I'm not sitting here saying I hate OOS or don't want them. Its more of trying to figure out what Wayne is doing because they don't even give us a tier wait list or any info. Plus you have like 20-30 IS people on this thread all waiting for a while to hear something.
Whatever, dude. I'm not going to kick you or that other guy while you're down by giving it to you straight. So, cool. Good luck

Last edited:
Whatever, dude. I'm not going to kick you or that other guy while you're down by giving it to you straight. So, cool. Good luck

^^^^ Thin skinned guy right here!! You read peoples minds now! Im sure you will end up doing psychiatry !

lol people are just talking. Chill out

^^^^ Thin skinned guy right here!! You read peoples minds now! Im sure you will end up doing psychiatry !

lol people are just talking. Chill out
Lol there has to be something wrong with you. Good luck getting an interview, dude. And good luck with CARS, with these really great comprehension skills you have:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Lol there has to be something wrong with you. Good luck getting an interview, dude. And good luck with CARS, with these really great comprehension skills you have:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.
C'mon man theres no need for such hostility. We're all here just trying to get information and get accepted. You already got yours so congrats. If you read something in a certain way it doesn't mean the person meant it that way.

C'mon man theres no need for such hostility. We're all here just trying to get information and get accepted. You already got yours so congrats. If you read something in a certain way it doesn't mean the person meant it that way.
Yeah. Not doing this. But good job defending the guy whose insulting random people on a thread for a school he hasn't even applied to yet.

Congrats! This is not directed at you and I didn't apply this year, but as a Michigan resident I have a serious issue with Wayne taking out of state students (which from the past few pages seems to have happened today) especially California since NEARLY every single California school takes almost 96% CA residents
Those lucky enough to be from MI enjoy a 32% IS matriculation.
CA IS matriculation is less than half that (15%).
CA has the third lowest medical school enrollment per capita in the nation.
Only UCD and UCR have a stated preference for CA applicants.
Of the rest, Loma Linda and Stanford actually matriculate more OOS than IS.
The breakdowns for the others (IS/OOS) are:
UCSF: 134/31
UCSD: 112/22
UCLA: 127/46
USC: 143/41
UCI: 97/7
The only school in CA that approximates your assertion is UCI (93%).
You will notice that UCLA matriculates a higher percentage of OOS applicants than Wayne does.

California has approximately 18.4 students per 100,000 population enrolled at MD/DO medical schools, while the US median is 30.4 per 100,000

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users

Listen to yourself! You are lecturing people online telling them to not discuss something simply because you don't agree with their opinions!!! We do not live under some Putin style dictatorship, at least not yet! People are free to express their opinions, comprende?

Good luck in life in general! Don't worry about me.

Let's keep the animosity down, please.
You can see his posts! He has been getting angry at people simply for having a discussion! I don't partake in much discussion here,but this is a little ridiculous. The subject is on topic and it was an opinion I voiced pages ago. I mean Lol @ it all. Guy can't let it go :/

Those lucky enough to be from MI enjoy a 32% IS matriculation.
CA IS matriculation is less than half that (15%).
CA has the third lowest medical school enrollment per capita in the nation.
Only UCD and UCR have a stated preference for CA applicants.
Of the rest, Loma Linda and Stanford actually matriculate more OOS than IS.
The breakdowns for the others (IS/OOS) are:
UCSF: 134/31
UCSD: 112/22
UCLA: 127/46
USC: 143/41
UCI: 97/7
The only school in CA that approximates your assertion is UCI (93%).
You will notice that UCLA matriculates a higher percentage of OOS applicants than Wayne does.

California has approximately 18.4 students per 100,000 population enrolled at MD/DO medical schools, while the US median is 30.4 per 100,000
Thank you for the clarification and explanation. Stanford and Loma Linda are private institutions unlike say U of M, Wayne, MSU, UCLA, UCSF.

I didn't specifically explain my point pertaining to California and New York public medical schools and their policy or non-policy to applicants from Michigan. I see it as not evenly balanced. That is all, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Listen to yourself! You are lecturing people online telling them to not discuss something simply because you don't agree with their opinions!!! We do not live under some Putin style dictatorship, at least not yet! People are free to express their opinions, comprende?

Good luck in life in general! Don't worry about me.
LOL. You haven't even applied yet, dude. Why are you being so hostile? And how are you really missing the irony in your tantrums since you're the one jumping down my throat for disagreeing with you?

But now you're just asking for it so here's some constructive criticism for you. You've taken the MCAT three times-- scoring between 27-29. I understand why you feel inadequate and how that could make you lash out at others who've worked hard, are more accomplished than you and have already earned their place in medical school, but don't. Find a way to have an application that is competitive so you don't have to knock others to make yourself feel better. How can you do that? Well, don't take the MCAT again; that's probably a waste. But focus on keeping/getting your grades high and get good experiences that you're dedicated to and round out your application. Make sure you apply to some d.o. schools because that mcat is tough for md schools.

This is my constructive advice to you. Perhaps take it and stay off forums that will only make you feel worse than you already do about your own chances of getting in. Focus on you--clearly a difficult thing for someone who blames "oos-ers taking [your] spot."

ETA: lol at the people who are jumping in because of this CONSTRUCTIVE post but have no issue with that non-applicant's inability to post WITHOUT personally insulting me. Y'all are heroes. I'm out. Good luck to those still waiting to hear....

Last edited:
LOL. You haven't even applied yet, dude. Why are you being so hostile? And how are you really missing the irony in your tantrums since you're the one jumping down my throat for disagreeing with you?

But now you're just asking for it so here's some constructive criticism for you. You've taken the MCAT three times-- scoring between 27-29. I understand why you feel inadequate and how that could make you lash out at others who've worked hard, are more accomplished than you and have already earned their place in medical school, but don't. Find a way to have an application that is competitive so you don't have to knock others to make yourself feel better. How can you do that? Well, don't take the MCAT again; that's probably a waste. But focus on keeping/getting your grades high and get good experiences that you're dedicated to and round out your application. Make sure you apply to some d.o. schools because that mcat is tough for md schools.

This is my constructive advice to you. Perhaps take it and stay off forums that will only make you feel worse than you already do about your own chances of getting in. Focus on you--clearly a difficult thing for someone who blames "oos-ers taking [your] spot."

Bringing up MCAT scores and their application in this way is low AF.

Reactions: 4 users
So how about those Red Wings, huh? They sure did let us down this year.

Right?

Reactions: 6 users
If we want some extra training on how to treat heart attacks we can always go visit comerica park in the 9th inning.

Visit Ford Field for some training on MDD w/ seasonal pattern.

Detroit sports: what doesn't kill you only makes you wish it did.

Last edited:
To those that were accepted off the waitlist, how did you first hear? Did you receive a call or email first, and when was there a change on the online portal?

Also, does anyone know how much BMS students have gotten off the waitlist lately?

Thanks in advance! Eagerly waiting, with fingers crossed, for all of us on the wait list to get our offers!

They called me in the morning, and I received an e-mail later that day.

Hey guys--- I was recently accepted to another school that starts in roughly two weeks (pulled off alternate list), however I am on the alternate list at wayne and would much rather go there. I called and of course they cannot tell me anything about where I am on the wait list. Im not worried about losing my seat deposit, but I would hate to start and then switch mid semester.... anything I could upload for the adcom?

Hey guys--- I was recently accepted to another school that starts in roughly two weeks (pulled off alternate list), however I am on the alternate list at wayne and would much rather go there. I called and of course they cannot tell me anything about where I am on the wait list. Im not worried about losing my seat deposit, but I would hate to start and then switch mid semester.... anything I could upload for the adcom?
Congrats!!! But, join the boat..

Im not worried about losing my seat deposit, but I would hate to start and then switch mid semester.... anything I could upload for the adcom?
From my understanding, if you attend orientation at another MD or DO school then you will be automatically removed from the wait list at Wayne State. I could be wrong but I don't think a mid-semester switch is possible...

I'm pretty sure Asiago is right about this. Wayne updated their guidelines for this kind of stuff. Read the email you got for your interview, it has a bunch of rules. They now say any matriculation is grounds for giving up your spot on the waitlist.

I'm pretty sure Asiago is right about this. Wayne updated their guidelines for this kind of stuff. Read the email you got for your interview, it has a bunch of rules. They now say any matriculation is grounds for giving up your spot on the waitlist.

yeah...just saw that. Is there any way to beg and plead with the adcom??

yeah...just saw that. Is there any way to beg and plead with the adcom??
for what? For them to tell you you're on the waitlist? Right now you don't have a seat there it's as simple as that unfortunately. Until your seat opens up I don't think there's anything they can do for you or tell you. The game sucks man. Hang in there.

Last edited:
You could try a passionate letter of intent that says you have an offer but would much rather go to Wayne. I doubt this will do anything, but what does it hurt to try; I mean you already have an offer somewhere else.

I was reading in pervious posts that the committee meets every two weeks. Is that and accurate statement? and if true would that mean Thu or Friday we should be seeing another round of decisions.

Just withdrew my acceptance - best of luck to anyone still waiting to hear good news!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! And you have two weeks to make a decision?
I accepted immediately. I had been praying every day, for God to bless me with an acceptance there, so when I got the call, I was ecstatic. I said yes right away. Well that was after I realized I was talking to admissions from WSUSOM....I was trying to get Krispy Kreme donuts to deliver a dozen donuts that I had purchased, which they had left out of my order of over 70 donuts, which I needed for the donut party I was throwing for my sweet munchkins. I didn't notice the missing donuts until I was already in my classroom, so honestly when admissions called, I thought she was the area manager from Krispy Kreme calling to me they'd deliver the donuts or ???...Krispy Kreme delivered, and I got into med school all on the same day. So all around it was a good day =)

Reactions: 6 users
Good luck, guys. Hopefully more of us will get in tomorrow! Best of luck. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! This might already be posted somewhere in this thread but what are some good apartment complexes in midtown Detroit that Wayne SOM students live in? My range is somewhat on the upper end- I have already tried applying to studio one and have spoken to people at strathmore but it seems like most places have a waitlist by now. Thanks!

So I caved and called admissions just now...conflicting information which is SO FRUSTRATING!

This person said: waitlist is ranked and there are a "couple hundred" people on it. He said there is no schedule for when offers are given and none have gone out today as of 2:00 CST.

I called a few weeks ago and was told there were fewer than 100 people and that it was not ranked.

I don't know what to make of that info. I find that almost more stressful than the waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I caved and called admissions just now...conflicting information which is SO FRUSTRATING!

This person said: waitlist is ranked and there are a "couple hundred" people on it. He said there is no schedule for when offers are given and none have gone out today as of 2:00 CST.

I called a few weeks ago and was told there were fewer than 100 people and that it was not ranked.

I don't know what to make of that info. I find that almost more stressful than the waiting!

It's definitely ranked. I'm not sure why they would tell you otherwise. I was waitlisted in December and people who got waitlisted in February and March have since been accepted, but I still haven't. There's no way the waitlist is unranked.

I called today too but earlier this morning. I was told that they met yesterday and that offers will go out in the next few days.

I accepted immediately. I had been praying every day, for God to bless me with an acceptance there, so when I got the call, I was ecstatic. I said yes right away. Well that was after I realized I was talking to admissions from WSUSOM....I was trying to get Krispy Kreme donuts to deliver a dozen donuts that I had purchased, which they had left out of my order of over 70 donuts, which I needed for the donut party I was throwing for my sweet munchkins. I didn't notice the missing donuts until I was already in my classroom, so honestly when admissions called, I thought she was the area manager from Krispy Kreme calling to me they'd deliver the donuts or ???...Krispy Kreme delivered, and I got into med school all on the same day. So all around it was a good day =)
haha this is a great story! It gives some hope (and made me crave Krispy Kreme), so thanks for sharing! I constantly wish for the same. I, of course, meant two weeks in general, but that was probably an unnecessary question since I would likely say yes immediately also. Congrats again on getting in!

haha this is a great story! It gives some hope (and made me crave Krispy Kreme), so thanks for sharing! I constantly wish for the same. I, of course, meant two weeks in general, but that was probably an unnecessary question since I would likely say yes immediately also. Congrats again on getting in!
Thank you!