2016 NHSC loan repayment cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blacklisted

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread that folks can use to update one another on what they're hearing (if anything) from NHSC re: loan repayment applications. I'm a scholar wrapping up my 4 years of service, and am hoping to transition to loan repayment to pay off my remaining debt. A lot of my colleagues applied last year, but none got an award...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to start a thread that folks can use to update one another on what they're hearing (if anything) from NHSC re: loan repayment applications. I'm a scholar wrapping up my 4 years of service, and am hoping to transition to loan repayment to pay off my remaining debt. A lot of my colleagues applied last year, but none got an award...
I am a two year scholar applying to transition to LRP at a site with a HPSA of 22. Oddly enough our hygienist who just applied for half-time mentioned she got an email last week saying she was a finalist and asking her to confirm her interest. I thought I was a given with our HPSA and being a scholar which are supposed to be reviewed non-competitively, but this got me a little worried. My application still says under review.

Still seems early though, so I was surprised she was contacted. I did state in my application that I wasn't planning on staying at the site after loan repayment on my application because I was just being honest, and at this point we think we may relocate. Not sure how that plays into their decision for scholars.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd think by now I would be used to waiting long periods of time for somebody to inform me of my fate. Being at the end of my scholarship obligation seems to make it extra excruciating. I heard people have started to hear back too, but nobody I know.

You'd think by now I would be used to waiting long periods of time for somebody to inform me of my fate. Being at the end of my scholarship obligation seems to make it extra excruciating. I heard people have started to hear back too, but nobody I know.
Good to know I'm not alone. I called yesterday to try to get any info. The representative just told me that scholars are evaluated in a separate process from others. So maybe they just haven't gotten to scholars? However, it still seems odd that scholar applicants are reviewed on a non-competitive basis, but aren't reviewed before other applications. I'm thinking "non-competitive" has a different meaning than what I thought, and the representative seemed to support that. She said that for competitive applications they due a credit check but for scholars they don't. Anyway, at least it is still early and it seems like not too many have heard back yet.

Yikes. I had interpreted "non-competitive" in the same way. My credit got checked (by CREDCO, according to CreditKarma) on 4/11/16. I suppose somebody else could be responsible, though nothing comes to mind.

Anyone heard anything?

Blacklisted, what is your HPSA? And are you applying for LRP full time? Did you put on your application that you were planning on staying at your site after LRP?

Oh, and I just noticed my credit got checked the same day, FYI.

I haven't heard a peep. My score is 17, I applied for full time, and yes I'm staying on at my current site. Assuming I get loan repayment. Seems like people were hearing back by this time last year.

One other consideration for me is that my scholarship obligation doesn't end until mid August. I would assume they're not really going to be hot to extend a loan repayment offer to me before that's completed.

I broke down and called today, for the first time. I spoke with a pleasant girl who sounded young and had no information other than to say that she thought they had started making offers and that some had been denied but that "a lot" of people were still under review. Has anybody heard anything? I need to take up knitting or something.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Still nothing here. Says "Under Review" on the website. I imagine we should hear soon.

I don't think that your scholarship end date will affect when they give you an offer. Mine doesn't end until Sep 1 of this year, but the program guidance says that as long as it ends by the end of September, you are eligible for that cycle since you are a scholar transitioning, rather than the deadline to start working (by July 1, 2016) if you are a new applicant. Although, this somewhat worries me, because when we applied, there was that one question that asked if you would be done with all obligations by the application deadline or something, and it sounded like you wouldn't be eligible if you answered "No." But I called and confirmed that I was supposed to answer "No" for that, although you know how that goes with trying to get a straight answer from BHW as an applicant...

Hopefully we'll hear soon.

I replied "No" as well, and also found it kind of terrifying. fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received approval of my loan repayment application 2-3 days ago. I applied for part time x 2 years ($25K). No notice was received until I had finished AND was confirmed complete for my NHSC scholarship service obligation. Technically my file says under final review but most of the language in e-mails I received a few days ago stated I was being offered the reward. I'm actually full time but only had 27K left in debt so played it safe with the part time request thinking they would be more likely to approve.

Glad to hear that for the scholarship applicants. I remember how exciting it was to get the news. Though in my day it came via fedex, not email. Hard to believe 11 years have passed.

It makes sense that you'd have to complete the scholarship first before being awarded loan repayment. Here's hoping they don't run out of money in the next 3 weeks...

Thanks for the info simpler2. How did you know it was pending your completion? Or did it just happen days after you finished your obligation?

I don't know if I should be concerned. I don't finish until Sep 1. That's pretty late in the game, and I imagine most everything will be squared away by then. However, I guess technically these are all finalist emails, not recipient emails (though they usually mean the same thing). So, since I'm going to be viewed non competitively and have a HPSA score of 22, once they verify that I'm done with my service, will they send me a finalist email and knock off some poor finalist at the bottom of the food chain?

I'll do some digging. I know if I call, they won't know anything. But maybe if I email the contact that has overseen my service these 2 years, hopefully she can find some answers. Agh!

Thanks for the info simpler2. How did you know it was pending your completion? Or did it just happen days after you finished your obligation?

They started to send me multiple messages in the service portal about wanting to finalize my application and recommend me for reward in the week prior to my service completion date. I did not hear anything from them prior to that. The day after my service obligation was finalized in the portal, I received a message asking to accept the reward. Now my profile says "under final review".

Thanks for that info, it gives me some hope. My completion date is 8/19. I'll report back if I have a similar experience.

They started to send me multiple messages in the service portal about wanting to finalize my application and recommend me for reward in the week prior to my service completion date. I did not hear anything from them prior to that. The day after my service obligation was finalized in the portal, I received a message asking to accept the reward. Now my profile says "under final review".
Interesting. I guess it's good that I don't have to be sweating it come end of August when I haven't heard anything, but I still am leery about how they divide up the funds. It will be interesting to see what "non-competitive" really means. Thanks! Keep me posted blacklisted.

Well, I tried emailing the NHSC public health analyst that was worked with me through my service obligation. I gave a bit of background and asked two questions:

1) "Are scholars transitioning to LRP not considered for finalist status until their service obligation is verified as complete?"​

and

2) "I know scholars' applications are viewed on a non-competitive basis, but how does that work with my end date being so late? My service obligation will be complete Sep 1st. Will that have any bearing on my chances of getting the loan repayment? In other words, will I only receive the loan repayment if there are still funds available on Sep 1st? Or is the finalist pool actually fluid until Oct 1st, and as long as my obligation is complete before the end of September, I will be viewed as any other scholar applying at a site with a HPSA of 22?"​

The analyst responded back and answered #1, but made no mention of #2:

"Yes you must complete your NHSC Scholar service obligation before you can receive an award. Please note on page 8 in the attached NHSC LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM 2016 APPLICATION AND GUIDANCE that a scholar must complete their obligation by September 29, 2016. You are within that time period."​

I then responded back and asked #2 again:

"Do you know whether finishing so late in the cycle versus finishing earlier has any bearing on one's chances to receive an award? Or does that date not matter because nothing is finalized until September 29th, and the chances for receiving an award just depend on HPSA score and other factors?"​

I received the following:

"The Loan Repayment program gave the date September 29, 2016 as the deadline for NHSC Scholar end date, and from that you understand that the decision is based on that date, HPSAs and other factors."​

So, it's confirmed you won't get a finalist email until your service obligation is done. However, I'm not sure my exchange shed any light on how funds are allocated. When I had previously contacted this analyst in January asking about what "non-competitive" meant, this was the response:

""non-competitive" basis means YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REVIEWED FIRST COME FIRST SERVED based on the eligibility of educational loans. You will be provided a priority as you are a Scholar in Service and you plan to remain at the facility where you started your obligation."
I'm not sure what the answer to question #2 is. As I explained in my email, it would be nice to know now how things are determined (and would have been nice to know before applying that you aren't considered for finalist status until your obligation is done), because I have another job offer at a different FQHC that is $10k more in salary with a $25k signing bonus. But, I didn't seriously consider it, because the only way I would be able to do the LRP this cycle was to stay at my site, and it seemed from the program guidance that it would be all-but-guaranteed as a scholar transitioning in a high HPSA score site.

But, who knows. I like my job, and I still have hope that things will work out. Technically nothing is set in stone until September 30th, so I'll hold out hope. Congratulations to simpler2 and everyone else who has heard back, and best of luck blacklisted. I've loved my experience with the NHSC (aside from it being a little difficult to get answers to questions) and hope to have 2 more years of experiences. I also submitted a Portal question to try to get #2 answered, so I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Don't lose hope. Seems like it would be a no-brainer for them to try to retain as many scholars as possible.

""non-competitive" basis means YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REVIEWED FIRST COME FIRST SERVED based on the eligibility of educational loans. You will be provided a priority as you are a Scholar in Service and you plan to remain at the facility where you started your obligation."

Almost sounds like they simply review them based on when they were submitted. That may make sense as I have not heard of many others getting word on their apps. I was hyper vigilant about completing the application as soon as it was available online. GOod luck all.​

Good news for us scholars transitioning to LRP who are still completing their service! Not great, but at least good.

As I stated earlier, after an unsatisfactory answer to my email, I asked a question through the portal to get a better insight on how it works for us scholars still working through our service. I got a voicemail today from a very helpful NHSC representative that stated the following:

"Basically what I found out is once you complete your last in-service verification or in-school-service verification (I imagine she just meant in-service verification) and your status will be bumped up to complete, I think that happens within 48 hours, then your application for loan repayment will go into a "recommended for award" status, not guaranteeing an award, but meaning it will be recommended for an award."
I tried to call her back to just verify, but didn't reach anyone. So, I'll try again. However, it does look like non-competitive seems to mean non-competitive and that end date may not have a bearing on our chances. So, hope that helps you rest a little easier in these last few weeks. It helps me, though I won't count on anything till I get an email confirming I got it.

I'll let you know if I reach her. Keep me posted on your end.

This is the most helpful information I've seen in months - thanks for sharing. I haven't heard anything but will post if I do. What a long wait!

Update: So now all providers in my clinic system have received notice of reward finalization. There is a request to confirm interest in reward, you sign a contract and then your status goes into "under final review". I did call HRSA folks and got as close as I could a confirmation that this means the award is basically being offered (minus the government finding out you are a soviet spy or have some other severe problem in your past that would prevent your getting the award).

No, I believe it is the same thing as finalist status. I wish they were more clear with acceptance but based on my conversations with HRSA and past experience as a scholar, the finalist status seems to be as good as saying you have been awarded (though they wont say this). Per conversation with one of our system midwifes who was awarded last year, they will give you final notice and your "start date" by the September deadline and then you wait 90 days from that start date to receive funds.

Yeah, my understanding as well is that finalist status is as good as getting it. However, I would imagine that finalists at the very lowest HPSA scoring sites might get bumped when scholars have their status changed to "Recommended for Award" unless they account for this and don't overextend themselves? Not sure, much of this seems like a black box.

I still haven't heard anything - definitely no friendly portal reminders to complete my service verification. I'm excited to finish my scholarship obligation but am starting to feel a bit disillusioned. My future plans have kind of been hijacked by this waiting and I'll be glad to get some sort of info.

Okay, update: I got my NHSC scholar service verification email early Friday. My employer had some difficulty submitting it on her end but was finally able to do so on Monday. My scholar portal status went from "in service" to "closeout pending". Then yesterday morning it changed again to "Completed" and I got an email directing me to a little certificate of completion with a congratulatory "thanks for your service" message. Then this morning I got the email asking me to confirm interest in loan repayment, to which I replied "hell yes." Fingers crossed, and good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Awesome! What exactly did the email say? Sound like a regular finalist email?

I'm just hoping I can get my site to move on the verification when the time comes. In the past it has taken them 2-3 weeks to get it submitted!

I had similar concerns and politely asked my HR department to please watch out for the verification email. She was all over it.

The email looked pretty standard:

"Dear Applicant,
Your 2016 National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program application has been reviewed and meets our program requirements. Please log into your Application Portal Account to confirm your continued interest in receiving an award and accept the offer..."

Nice. Yeah, I sent a similar email, and didn't get a response... Congrats!

Update: I received notification of award and my portal changed from applicant to participant yesterday. This is after the "finalist notification" was in place for 2-3 weeks. Good luck everyone.

Hi, I just received NHSC email notifying acceptance at 12AM 8/25/16. I'm a new applicant to NHSC loan repayment serving as a dentist and my site score is 16. Was getting real doubtful this late in the game with my low site score but a miracle happened. Good luck everyone!

Hi, I just received NHSC email notifying acceptance at 12AM 8/25/16. I'm a new applicant to NHSC loan repayment serving as a dentist and my site score is 16. Was getting real doubtful this late in the game with my low site score but a miracle happened. Good luck everyone!
Congrats! It's always helpful information to know how far down sites are funded in terms of HPSA scores. Was this a finalist email you got?

Congrats! It's always helpful information to know how far down sites are funded in terms of HPSA scores. Was this a finalist email you got?

Thanks! This is what the email says so I don't think its the final one but I'm just happy I got up to the next round.

Dear Applicant,

Your 2016 National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program application has been reviewed and meets our program requirements. Please log into your Application Portal Account to confirm your continued interest in receiving an award and accept the offer. https://programportal.hrsa.gov:443/extranet/application/nhsclrp/. (If the link does not work, please copy the link and enter it into your internet browser.)

The offer of participation is active until 08/29/2016. If the offer expires, the offer will be deactivated and your application will not be considered for an award. If you elect to apply in the future, you must submit an application during our next application cycle for new participants and compete with other providers who meet our program requirements.

Just submitted my final in-service verification. Sent a friendly but clear email to the NHSC contact at my site asking that they get the employer side done ASAP. Fingers crossed.

Any update blacklisted? Its funny how large of an award hangs in the balance and is at the mercy of if others. If nothing else, it feels good to be finished those two years.

Just had my site verify my in-service verification and my portal says "Closeout Pending." But a couple hours before, I got a message stating "Good day. Please have your site complete your 6-month ISV. It is holding up your award with the NHSC LRP." So, I guess it's a good sign that they referred to it as an award.

I'll keep you posted, but I'm sure it will go down like yours, blacklisted.

Alright, got my little trophy and certificate on the portal for closing out my scholar obligation. Then got the finalist notification, put my bank info in, signed the contract. Sounds like where you are at blacklisted. It really does look like we've all but got it, so hopefully the finalist status is just a formality. It'd be nice to know before Sep 30th, but that's not too far off.

One thing that did stand out to me was that they said funds wouldn't be disbursed until you had done 90 days of service at your site. Now, a normal applicant has their service start July 1st I believe, but scholars would start after they finish the obligation. So does that mean we have to wait 90 days after we finished? Or are they just making sure you have been at the site for 90 days to make sure you aren't leaving... I'm not sure.

Well, I just called and talked to someone who told me that the contract start date happens when the contract is countersigned by the Secretary of Health and Human Services. I thought that things were backdated and that the contract started back in July or something. But the person I talked to told me that it is when it is signed, and the 90 days are counted from then. So, I guess we wouldn't get paid until 3 months out? Not sure, but I guess the more important thing is whether or not we get it.

Yeah, that would be nice but I think your conclusions are accurate. Fingers remain crossed.

Hi I got the final award notice today. Says that my contract start date is 9/6/16 to 9/5/18 and funds will be disbursed in approximately 90 days. Last time NHSC sent me an email was to ask me to E-sign and confirm interest but not guaranteed an award. Today it just said that I have been awarded but didn't ask me to sign anything else. Was a step skipped in the process because I thought they gave you some more time to think about it before officially signing and begin the contract. I'm so happy I got the award but it seems like they sprung that start date on me without me finalizing it. My friends who got the award last year had 30 days to officially sign or back out before contract started. Did that happen to anyone else?

Congrats! When you e-sign, you are signing the contract.

Technically you probably would be able to back out. The end of the contract states:
The Secretary may terminate this Contract if, within sixty (60) days following the execution of the Contract (i.e., signature of both parties), the applicant:
  1. submits a written request to terminate this Contract and
  2. repays all amounts paid to, or on behalf of, the applicant under Paragraph 2 of Section A of this Contract.

Thanks for the clarification! I guess in my excitement to hear from Nhsc , I didn't realize that it was the final contract at the time and just signed it. I'm definitely not backing out esp after that stressful waiting period we had to go through to get this award. It's just that I took some personal days off next week but will have to change that now since these days off are precious now once the contract starts.

Still nothing over here. My contract appears to have countersigned over a week ago but my status is still under final review. The silence is deafening...

How did you see that it was countersigned? That seems like a done deal to me...