2016 oral boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here! I'm out of the country on vacation but never felt relaxed until now. I saw the website was "under maintenance" and knew they were updating the scores. Kept pressing refresh nonstop for 30 min straight until it went away. What a relief indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had failed last year even though I studied for boards during residency
Last year I walked in all confident and thought I answered well - but failed. I was crushed and it took me months to recover because it truly was a shock. I had worked so hard throughout.
I was hoping to pass because I was a pain medicine fellow last year - and had an amazing pain job contract in Dallas, but needed to pass the boards to get a Texas license - it didnt happen.

This past year sucked...esp. because i wasnt doing any OR anesthesia...last time I was in OR was June 2014
I took it again this year after doing all of Dr Hos multimodal plan (4 day course also) and Just oral boards - 26 online mocks. I found a study buddy from Dr Ho's email list and we literally did >200 hrs of studying on skype...we did all ABA cases other mocks, and all grab bags from board stiff...made cue cards and for the past 8 months made oral boards the center of my existence. This year just sucked, and my wife actually checked the score for me yesterday for me because all I could think what would I do if I failed again. I passed...I took today off from clinic, and I feel this heavy weight lifted off my shoulder.

My exam material was not too out there, except for a few things they pushed me on. There were only a few things where knowledge was an issue...I remember they asked me fetal heart tracing and i just couldnt recall at that time so I know I said that wrong. I kinda missed the ddx when it was DKA and just said lactic acidosis...its fine I suppose...I blurted the first sign of increase ICP is vomiting in a child...which is ridiculous (it may be, but its not diagnostic by any means)...overall, when I had left the exam room, I didnt know what had hit me. I didnt know what I did.
I dont know what it is, its a different experience than the mocks you take with friends or sitting at home over skype.
I DO know that I was far more composed this time and as opposed to last year when I proudly said "I dont know" because people said "you can say I dont know many times and still pass". This time I knew I had to act like I am representing the ABA, and said something like "well, I know that Bezold Jarisch reflex is a neuro-endocrine reflex and it involves changes in cardiac output, but I cannot recall the specifics", so atleast I got some points for form and composure. There is a world of difference between "I dont know" and that answer.
This time I did not get intimidated - perhaps practicing solo as a pain physician does that to you. Everyday I see difficult patients so I negotiate everyday. In fact I remember an instance where the examiner said something ridiculous and I almost laughed at him with a "like are you serious?" look. I definitely smirked.

Compared to mocks, the real exam is very fast paced - they do not let you finish all your thoughts. You do not have time to gather your thoughts or waste time. The answers have to be framed and rehearsed. For instance, case 1 they asked me the classic oliguria question and its not like they gave a hint as to why this patient is oliguric. So I started with "well, the causes of oliguria are pre renal, post renal, and intrarenal" Then they cut me off and said, why in this patient...I said it could be many things - ill need to check the history and records, then they said how will you differentiate between intra-renal and pre renal...i said get a FeNa and check BUN/Cr...
It seems very easy to write this now, but when it is happening, its a different ball game.

Whatever, I am just glad that this is over.

*I understand that the ABA prohibits sharing of material, but the above post is meant to not share ABA's proprietory information, since the above stated topics are known to be high yield for this exam, and any candidate will surely come across most of them during their study. I wanted to share the above after going through the exam twice and truly learn from this experience.

I would also like to say that of the courses I took I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Ho, simply because he is far more genuine and interested in your success compared to *some* of the faculty from just oral boards (majority are outstanding, Dr. Tran including - but there are one or two who dont really seem interested and have vested interests and on care about selling this as a business. Like I had a few exams with this one particular examiner and he would barely spend 15 minutes going over the exam - and they charge $200 for it). Dr. Ho is very knowledgeable, he has a good set up on adobe for live chats, his lectures are really good and he is available by text whenever you want.

I am very impartial as a person and do not care, so I am not advertising for him. I do not need to - he has been doing this for > 20 years, so me saying a few things on sdn is not going to make a difference. This is just my impression after going through this difficult part of my life.
Dr. Ho's business model is far more ethical, better, and has better value than JOB IMO.

Good luck to all the candidates and congrats to those who passed.

I am going to take a few weeks off and study for pain boards.

Reactions: 1 users
I had failed last year even though I studied for boards during residency
Last year I walked in all confident and thought I answered well - but failed. I was crushed and it took me months to recover because it truly was a shock. I had worked so hard throughout.
I was hoping to pass because I was a pain medicine fellow last year - and had an amazing pain job contract in Dallas, but needed to pass the boards to get a Texas license - it didnt happen.

This past year sucked...esp. because i wasnt doing any OR anesthesia...last time I was in OR was June 2014
I took it again this year after doing all of Dr Hos multimodal plan (4 day course also) and Just oral boards - 26 online mocks. I found a study buddy from Dr Ho's email list and we literally did >200 hrs of studying on skype...we did all ABA cases other mocks, and all grab bags from board stiff...made cue cards and for the past 8 months made oral boards the center of my existence. This year just sucked, and my wife actually checked the score for me yesterday for me because all I could think what would I do if I failed again. I passed...I took today off from clinic, and I feel this heavy weight lifted off my shoulder.

My exam material was not too out there, except for a few things they pushed me on. There were only a few things where knowledge was an issue...I remember they asked me fetal heart tracing and i just couldnt recall at that time so I know I said that wrong. I kinda missed the ddx when it was DKA and just said lactic acidosis...its fine I suppose...I blurted the first sign of increase ICP is vomiting in a child...which is ridiculous (it may be, but its not diagnostic by any means)...overall, when I had left the exam room, I didnt know what had hit me. I didnt know what I did.
I dont know what it is, its a different experience than the mocks you take with friends or sitting at home over skype.
I DO know that I was far more composed this time and as opposed to last year when I proudly said "I dont know" because people said "you can say I dont know many times and still pass". This time I knew I had to act like I am representing the ABA, and said something like "well, I know that Bezold Jarisch reflex is a neuro-endocrine reflex and it involves changes in cardiac output, but I cannot recall the specifics", so atleast I got some points for form and composure. There is a world of difference between "I dont know" and that answer.
This time I did not get intimidated - perhaps practicing solo as a pain physician does that to you. Everyday I see difficult patients so I negotiate everyday. In fact I remember an instance where the examiner said something ridiculous and I almost laughed at him with a "like are you serious?" look. I definitely smirked.

Compared to mocks, the real exam is very fast paced - they do not let you finish all your thoughts. You do not have time to gather your thoughts or waste time. The answers have to be framed and rehearsed. For instance, case 1 they asked me the classic oliguria question and its not like they gave a hint as to why this patient is oliguric. So I started with "well, the causes of oliguria are pre renal, post renal, and intrarenal" Then they cut me off and said, why in this patient...I said it could be many things - ill need to check the history and records, then they said how will you differentiate between intra-renal and pre renal...i said get a FeNa and check BUN/Cr...
It seems very easy to write this now, but when it is happening, its a different ball game.

Whatever, I am just glad that this is over.

*I understand that the ABA prohibits sharing of material, but the above post is meant to not share ABA's proprietory information, since the above stated topics are known to be high yield for this exam, and any candidate will surely come across most of them during their study. I wanted to share the above after going through the exam twice and truly learn from this experience.

I would also like to say that of the courses I took I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Ho, simply because he is far more genuine and interested in your success compared to *some* of the faculty from just oral boards (majority are outstanding, Dr. Tran including - but there are one or two who dont really seem interested and have vested interests and on care about selling this as a business. Like I had a few exams with this one particular examiner and he would barely spend 15 minutes going over the exam - and they charge $200 for it). Dr. Ho is very knowledgeable, he has a good set up on adobe for live chats, his lectures are really good and he is available by text whenever you want.

I am very impartial as a person and do not care, so I am not advertising for him. I do not need to - he has been doing this for > 20 years, so me saying a few things on sdn is not going to make a difference. This is just my impression after going through this difficult part of my life.
Dr. Ho's business model is far more ethical, better, and has better value than JOB IMO.

Good luck to all the candidates and congrats to those who passed.

I am going to take a few weeks off and study for pain boards.

Strong work!

Passed my exam on first try-feels so great to see " certified " next to my name on the ABA portal. I personally did Just Oral Boards. In my opinion, the course is worth it because it has a systematic format in how to address management questions . It's really about practice, practice, practice. I think if people have trouble on the oral exam-it's because they haven't established a routine to begin answering the questions without fumbling / wasting time before getting to the point.

Just Oral Boards prepared me to the point where I felt the actual exam stems-including the additional topics were easy. In fact, I was concerned that the stems were so easy -that I worried that maybe I had completely missed the mark.

The examiners rarely interrupted me-again I was worried because the general consensus is that if you are doing well-they tend to cut you off.

I did a total of 28 mock exams with Just Oral Boards.