2017-2018 APPIC INTERNSHIP APPLICATION THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure this has been addressed in past internship application threads, but I figured I'd push it up to this one and get more updated opinions. I'm a PhD student in Counseling Psych, which feels like a very small pond as I apply compared to the ocean that clinical psych seems to be. Most of my sites of interest have "Acceptable" next to Counseling in their APPIC profile, which is better than "None," but certainly not as exciting as the "Preferred" next to Clinical.

It worries me. Question is... how rational is my worry? For those that have been through it, any indication that it was an "undesirable?" For those that have been on training committees at sites... how much weight do/did you and your staff put into it?

As always, best of luck to everyone in this stressful time!
If it says "acceptable" you are considered if you have a good fit. I interviewed at top tier academy sites that were listed like that and I'm counseling psych. Find a place that fits.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question: I logged in today because the site designations are finally up, but when I search for mine, a ton of them say "Closed" in red. There's no explanation in the help section. Does this simply mean that they aren't accepting applications yet? It's making me nervous.

99.9% sure that you're correct. There's no way their deadlines have already passed for accepting applications. They probably just haven't opened it up yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Counseling psych student on internship currently. Obviously I am unaware if being from a counseling program "hurt" my application or prevented me from getting certain interviews, but I will say literally no one on interviews asked or seemed to care who was counseling and who was clinical. Also, all 4 of my cohort-mates matched at VA's, which likely match more clinical students historically.

I would venture to guess that your previous experiences and your goals for internship are weighed much more heavily than whether you're a clinical or counseling psych student.

Thank you for the reply! I'm curious... did you and/or your cohort-mates have VA experience going into internship?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like that faculty members give this advice. I'm the internship director at an AMC and I much prefer that this essay has personal information. I view the purpose of it as to get to know the applicant outside of their CV and cover letter - it is in these places I can see how your interests develop. Although I'll still consider applicants with more generic autobiographical essays, this does typically mean the applicant does not set themselves apart as well. Good luck to you!

Thank you for your response, and sorry to bug you with another question. I currently have two different versions of my autobiographical essay. One is more personal and talks about a significant experience that increased my empathy and ability to build relationships, then a clinical experience where I applied that ability (nothing on my specific interests). The other starts off with one personal paragraph then focuses on my professional development, which provides an explanation of how my interests shifted from neuro to health psych throughout my training. The latter is largely to avoid looking wishy-washy in terms of my interests. Would your recommendation still be to submit the personal one?

Thank you for the reply! I'm curious... did you and/or your cohort-mates have VA experience going into internship?

I and one other one did. Three of them did not. In fact at one VA site I interviewed with, none of the interns had prior VA experience.

When a site is APA-accredited on contingency, is this a risky site to apply to, or is it just a normal part of the accreditation process? In other words, do the vast majority of these sites go on to gain full accreditation, or is it less than that? Thanks.

Thank you for your response, and sorry to bug you with another question. I currently have two different versions of my autobiographical essay. One is more personal and talks about a significant experience that increased my empathy and ability to build relationships, then a clinical experience where I applied that ability (nothing on my specific interests). The other starts off with one personal paragraph then focuses on my professional development, which provides an explanation of how my interests shifted from neuro to health psych throughout my training. The latter is largely to avoid looking wishy-washy in terms of my interests. Would your recommendation still be to submit the personal one?

Is it possible to merge the two? I think it's helpful to include something personal and why that led to your current interests. If you don't talk about your interests at all in this essay, I might be confused what the point of the essay was. So perhaps mentioning that specific personal experience, how it led to empathy/building relationships, and then moving into your current interests. Good luck to you!

Hi All,

What have you been told about the length of your cover letters? I've been trying to keep mine to about a page, but all the samples I've received from people ahead of me in my program are two full pages, single-spaced! Not sure if that's regional (I'm in NYC) or what, but would love to hear how others have been thinking about this.

Thanks!

Hi All,

What have you been told about the length of your cover letters? I've been trying to keep mine to about a page, but all the samples I've received from people ahead of me in my program are two full pages, single-spaced! Not sure if that's regional (I'm in NYC) or what, but would love to hear how others have been thinking about this.

Thanks!

Same here (in Denver). The examples for past applicants in my program are all about 1.5-2 pages. Our training director has also said 1-2 pages is considered standard (though definitely don't go beyond that).

Last edited:
Does anyone know the difference between Child Guidance Clinic and Community Mental Health Centers. Just trying to fill out the APPI and decide which hours go where.

Same here (in Denver). The examples for past applicants in my program are all about 1.5-2 pages. Our training director has also said 1-2 pages is considered standard (though definitely don't go beyond that).
Thanks, ForeverJung!

When a site is APA-accredited on contingency, is this a risky site to apply to, or is it just a normal part of the accreditation process? In other words, do the vast majority of these sites go on to gain full accreditation, or is it less than that? Thanks.

From the APA website:

"APA-Accredited on Contingency" =

Accredited.
If you complete a program that is recognized as “accredited, on contingency” at time of completion effective before your completion date, you will have completed an APA accredited program. Accreditation is effective the last date of the site visit."

As for what that designation actually means: "Accredited, on contingency” designates an internship/residency program that, in the professional judgment of the CoA, is consistent, substantively and procedurally, with the G&P with the exception of the provision of adequate and appropriate proximal and distal outcome data. A program that is “accredited, on contingency” must provide outcome data for trainees in the program and program graduates by the time two cohorts have completed the program. At a maximum this will be 2 years for full-time internships and 4 years for full-time residency programs that are more than 1 year in duration. Failure to do so will lead to a loss of accreditation following completion of the program by the interns/residents currently on-site at the program. Programs that are “accredited, on contingency” may be eligible for a second term of “accredited, on contingency” only under extenuating circumstances. The maximum amount of time a program can be “accredited, on contingency” is 4 years in total. Please note that programs are not required to apply for “accredited, on contingency” prior to applying for full accreditation."

So it sounds like the internship program may just be very new.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Take this with a grain of salt, in that I only ever sat in on the initial selection process during my fellowship year, but...there's always something to be said for concise relevance. Try to keep in mind that these directors are reading hundreds of these things.

Take this with a grain of salt, in that I only ever sat in on the initial selection process during my fellowship year, but...there's always something to be said for concise relevance. Try to keep in mind that these directors are reading hundreds of these things.

I'm not a TD, but always involved in application review. I essentially glance over the cover letter to make sure they didn't make any egregious errors. I honestly can't remember a single time in a selection meeting where we really discussed a cover letter unless there was a major screwup.

I'm not a TD, but always involved in application review. I essentially glance over the cover letter to make sure they didn't make any egregious errors. I honestly can't remember a single time in a selection meeting where we really discussed a cover letter unless there was a major screwup.

This is oddly comforting.

Does anyone know what specific application materials are required of the univ of miami Mailman Center? I can't seem to find much application info on their website (re: number of ref letters, supplementals) and I haven't gotten a response from my email to the DCT

What kind of egregious errors have you seen? I imagine things like using the wrong location/ names... leaving edited sections in... etc.

What kind of egregious errors have you seen? I imagine things like using the wrong location/ names... leaving edited sections in... etc.

It's usually people not correctly proofreading and sending us a cover letter that was obviously meant for another site. Such as mentioning rotations or locations that we do not have. Or, obvious and numerous typos. We're gladly willing to overlook a typo or two, we all do it sometimes, but sometimes people send us materials that are just riddled with errors.

When did/ does everyone expect to have their letters of rec turned in? i.e., when should I freak out?

I'm not sure, but I will say only 1/3 of mine are in if it helps.

I asked for them initially by 10/25, and currently trying to figure out when and how to remind them. For instance, whether to send a personal email or submit another request through the system (and when to do so?) I appreciate that people are busy but also want to stay on top of it. What are your thoughts?

I asked for them initially by 10/25, and currently trying to figure out when and how to remind them. For instance, whether to send a personal email or submit another request through the system (and when to do so?) I appreciate that people are busy but also want to stay on top of it. What are your thoughts?
I asked for them by the end of last week. Sent them reminders via email but haven't gotten them back yet... I know (hope) they'll come, just getting antsy. I don't think a gentle reminder is a bad idea. Perhaps the Friday before (tomorrow)?

By god, am I feeling fed up with revising my autobiographical essay. :unsure: I've gotten consistent feedback from others to make it "more personal" (I'm applying to all U/CCCs), but I'm just a private person and cringe at the idea of sharing details of personal experiences with an unknown audience. I'm fine with referring to the experience and sharing my internal reflection ("It was frustrating, challenging, here's how I got through it", etc.), but I really don't want to bleed on the page.

I don't think there's necessarily an answer to all this, I'm just venting, really. But I'm curious, how did you all find that "line"?

I had the opposite experience of sharing too much, realizing how uncomfortable it was, and pulling way back. I think "the line" is relatively personal and is likely a little bit different for each of us. I ended up going with a somewhat personal story of events which led me to study psychology and shared some of my other interests along the way. I think it's like a "hey, I'm real, live, genuine, person" but "I can also be professional" kind of thing. Perhaps answer the question, what would you be willing to share in group supervision?

This is the woooooooooorst

Sent from my LGLS992 using SDN mobile

Here, here. This whole process feels exactly engineered to play to all to my perfectionistic tendencies. I'm feeling paralyzed a lot of the time, even when there are "clear" next steps to take.

Wow, this process is exciting and draining at the same time! So glad to have the SDN support.

I saw in at least one application brochure (VA) that the interview may contain a group "activity." I am wondering if anyone who has been through the process knows what this might be alluding to?

Yay for life on this thread!

@IWillSurvive - good for you for retaining your excitement. I'm hoping to get that back once these apps are in, haha. I know sometimes sites have group interviews, but that doesn't sound like what they're referring to. What kind of site is it?

Quick question: Have you guys found that your sites are asking for supplemental materials (e.g., psychological assessment reports)?

I'm wading through each site's application requirements as I'm writing my cover letters and I haven't seen any requests for additional materials yet. I 100% admit I haven't gone through everything. Or perhaps I'm missing the request somehow... I am so very tired.

Quick question: Have you guys found that your sites are asking for supplemental materials (e.g., psychological assessment reports)?

I'm wading through each site's application requirements as I'm writing my cover letters and I haven't seen any requests for additional materials yet. I 100% admit I haven't gone through everything. Or perhaps I'm missing the request somehow... I am so very tired.
It likely depends on the types of site to which you're applying. Sites where I'd be doing a lot of assessment or writing a lot of reports wanted to see a sample report. Other sites that were very therapy-focused or stringently adhered to a particular theoretical orientation sometimes asked for a therapy summary or description of how I applied that particular orientation. I could see UCCs and community mental health centers not really asking for supplemental materials, but you're quite wise to double check brochures/websites just to be sure of the requirements.

About 4 or 5 of my sites require something supplemental - sometimes the info was a little buried on one of the "how to apply" pages.

I saw in at least one application brochure (VA) that the interview may contain a group "activity." I am wondering if anyone who has been through the process knows what this might be alluding to?

I didn’t interview anywhere that had this, but here are two examples from my friends’ interviews in last year’s circuit. At one site there was a “group supervision” exercise where they actually brought in the interviewer’s current resident and had a supervision meeting in front of the interviewees – the reason given was that this way the interviewees could get a practical sense of what supervision would look like, but they were also all invited (/required) to give feedback and thoughts to the resident as well, so also a bit of a clinical test. The second example was during the group orientation where they went around the room for the typical introductions, but then everybody was invited to talk about an interesting psych-related book or non-academic article they’d read recently. I’m sure there are lots of other possible “group activities” but these are two I heard about!

A VA I'm applying to asked for a condensed (3-page) case report with assessment data to illustrate our case conceptualization abilities and theoretical orientation. It was very tough getting it down to 3-pages, but do-able. The requirement was listed in the "application instructions" section of their brochure.

Just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you guys and sending out good vibes. I still remember how much this process sucks. Best of luck and hang in there!

Reactions: 6 users
Question about addressing cover letters: If a program has an overarching training director + directors for specific tracks, which one would you address the cover letter to? Or, address to both? Thoughts? I looked through the brochure and they don't specify who to address the letters to.

When writing a cover letter for a Consortium and your applying for all the sites, are you all doing individual cover letters for each site or an overall one for the Consortium?

When writing a cover letter for a Consortium and your applying for all the sites, are you all doing individual cover letters for each site or an overall one for the Consortium?

FWIW, the only consortium I applied to last cycle (Vanderbilt) I wrote one cover letter for the entire site. I can't recall if they specifically asked for that, though.

edit: I do recall them asking for applicants to choose 2 of the 4 available programs. I'm not sure when you're applying to more than that within one consortium.

Question about addressing cover letters: If a program has an overarching training director + directors for specific tracks, which one would you address the cover letter to? Or, address to both? Thoughts? I looked through the brochure and they don't specify who to address the letters to.

Last year I addressed the TD and the director for the track I wanted. Alternatively, you could phrase it as "Dear Dr. XXXX and members of the internship selection committee," for multiple track directors.

Reactions: 1 users
This is just one person's anecdotal information BUT I was at a practicum that was part of an internship consortium, and the TDs at that site were put off when someone would apply without a cover letter tailored specifically to their site. They did not feel like an applicant really cared about their site if they sent a generic letter to the consortium as a whole, or clearly wanted a different type of site in the consortium and was just settling for them. If there is enough info about the individual sites' programs, I would recommend tailoring cover letters for an optimum first impression.

Just submitted most of mine. Assumed it would make me feel less anxious. It didn't :(

Good for you! I don't think our anxiety is going to get a whole lot better any time soon, but I hope it feels nice to get off your plate.

Just submitted most of mine. Assumed it would make me feel less anxious. It didn't :(
I just submitted my first yesterday and it was a nice anxiety provoking experience. I especially liked all the warnings and "are you sure?" prompts the AAPI puts you through. SO. MUCH. FUN. I must say, I'm really excited to get into the wait-to-hear phase.

haha, i know. isn't it terrible that we are genuinely excited to enter the next anxiety-riddled phase of this? true life.

Does anyone know if sites get applications immediately after submission? I submitted all mine yesterday (and similarly noticed a decided lack of anxiety relief after hitting submit), and am wonder what the lag time might be for hearing back.

I was cool as ice until yesterday morning. I'm officially a nervous wreck now.

Does anyone know if sites get applications immediately after submission? I submitted all mine yesterday (and similarly noticed a decided lack of anxiety relief after hitting submit), and am wonder what the lag time might be for hearing back.

I've heard anywhere between 1 week up until Dec. 15th. Looking at the old interview invite send out dates indicates between Nov 15th-Dec 15th as the most high volume time

Fingers crossed.

As some person said- I'm not competing with anyone, I hope we all make it :)

I've heard anywhere between 1 week up until Dec. 15th. Looking at the old interview invite send out dates indicates between Nov 15th-Dec 15th as the most high volume time

Fingers crossed.

As some person said- I'm not competing with anyone, I hope we all make it :)

Agreed. I have a few sites that match my family life better than others. Hoping for the best!

My understanding is that (at least for my site) the APPI's come in immediately or at least very quickly, and our TD usually waits until a self-prescribed date to begin review and later offer interviews.

My understanding is that (at least for my site) the APPI's come in immediately or at least very quickly, and our TD usually waits until a self-prescribed date to begin review and later offer interviews.

We are usually way too busy to be checking this thing constantly. It'd be something that gets checked on a weekly basis, and interview offers usually won't come for some time after we've gotten everything and at least done a couple passes to weed out the basket of deplorables.