2017-2018 APPIC INTERNSHIP APPLICATION THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if sites get applications immediately after submission? I submitted all mine yesterday (and similarly noticed a decided lack of anxiety relief after hitting submit), and am wonder what the lag time might be for hearing back.

I was cool as ice until yesterday morning. I'm officially a nervous wreck now.

We get them immediately, but aren't reviewing them immediately. Many sites have multiple people reviewing applications and so they may get reviewed at different times among the different reviewers. Every site has a different process, but you should hear back by the recommended date (Dec 15) unless a site states otherwise. A few sites will respond quickly, but tha majority don't offer interviews until after Thanksgiving. So, you're going to have a bit of a wait, which is the hardest part for many. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Quick question - some sites specifically list "program director endorsement" as part of the application material that should be submitted. Are they referring to the AAPI verification that is completed by my DCT? Or do you think this is a separate letter that should be uploaded as a fourth letter of recommendation? I assume it means the DCT verification and readiness for internship training done through the AAPI. Any thoughts?

Hi everyone! Quick question - some sites specifically list "program director endorsement" as part of the application material that should be submitted. Are they referring to the AAPI verification that is completed by my DCT? Or do you think this is a separate letter that should be uploaded as a fourth letter of recommendation? I assume it means the DCT verification and readiness for internship training done through the AAPI. Any thoughts?
Most of my sites require this and I agree with your interpretation that it means the DCT verification/readiness for internship. I don't think a 4th letter is needed/desired. But that is just my $.02.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of my sites require this and I agree with your interpretation that it means the DCT verification/readiness for internship. I don't think a 4th letter is needed/desired. But that is just my $.02.
Agreed.

Question about APPIC:

I sent in an application a week ago and subsequently received a confirmation email from APPIC stating that it had been received.

However, I sent in several applications in bulk yesterday but did not receive any such confirmation. Although the sites are showing up as "complete" under Designations, I'm concerned that something went wrong.

Did anyone else experience the same issue? Am I overthinking it?

Question about APPIC:

I sent in an application a week ago and subsequently received a confirmation email from APPIC stating that it had been received.

However, I sent in several applications in bulk yesterday but did not receive any such confirmation. Although the sites are showing up as "complete" under Designations, I'm concerned the saat something went wrong.

The same thing happened to me and I was Freaking out too!

We get them immediately, but aren't reviewing them immediately. Many sites have multiple people reviewing applications and so they may get reviewed at different times among the different reviewers. Every site has a different process, but you should hear back by the recommended date (Dec 15) unless a site states otherwise. A few sites will respond quickly, but tha majority don't offer interviews until after Thanksgiving. So, you're going to have a bit of a wait, which is the hardest part for many. Good luck!
I'm worried that applying too early may work against me in that they will forget about my application because the bulk come in closer to application due date. Am I just being an anxious/paranoid mess?

Another submission question: When you designate, does the portal automatically submit both your DCT verification and your transcript? I don't see any info about attaching/sending these in any way. Just being extra cautious. Thanks.

I'm worried that applying too early may work against me in that they will forget about my application because the bulk come in closer to application due date. Am I just being an anxious/paranoid mess?

I think it may be your anxiety. As long as your application was received before the deadline, they should consider it.

Another submission question: When you designate, does the portal automatically submit both your DCT verification and your transcript? I don't see any info about attaching/sending these in any way. Just being extra cautious. Thanks.

I believe so.

I have a bunch for sites that want supplemental materials , especially psychological evaluations . One site specifically asked for a signed psych report and for the names to be blacked out. For the sites that do not specify , do you think it would be ok to submit one that isn't signed ? I wanted to go in word and deidentify by replacing names with XXXX because it's much faster than blacking out with a pen and scanning in

I have a bunch for sites that want supplemental materials , especially psychological evaluations . One site specifically asked for a signed psych report and for the names to be blacked out. For the sites that do not specify , do you think it would be ok to submit one that isn't signed ? I wanted to go in word and deidentify by replacing names with XXXX because it's much faster than blacking out with a pen and scanning in
The only way to know for certain is to contact them and ask if they require a signed report, but I do know people who are planning to submit unsigned reports to sites that did not specifically ask for a signed version.

Found this information under APPIC General Instructions:

Graduate Transcripts:
Includes transcripts from all GRADUATE institutions that you have attended, whether a degree was obtained or not. You are required to submit one official copy of each graduate transcript to the AAPI Online service, which will be scanned and attached to each application. Most sites do not request undergraduate transcripts; for those who do, you will have to arrange to have a copy sent directly to the site.

Verification by Your Doctoral Program:
Your doctoral program’s Director of Clinical Training is required to review certain elements of your application (e.g., doctoral practicum hours) to verify their accuracy and to certify that you are authorized to apply for internship. When you have completed the portions of the application that require verification, you may submit them electronically to your DCT for review. You will not be permitted to submit any applications to internship sites until this review and verification process is completed by your DCT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I was going to re-read all of the instructions later, so I greatly appreciate the assist! :)

Thank you! I was going to re-read all of the instructions later, so I greatly appreciate the assist! :)
No problem ;). It helped me too, because after I read your question I realized I wasn't sure of the answer and started to worry that I had sent my sites applications without transcripts.

I was just talking to the folks at my prac site about this... they aren't planning on even looking at submissions until about a week after their deadline. I think this is an overwhelming time for them as well and they seem to be actively practicing some good ol' fashioned avoidance.

I was just talking to the folks at my prac site about this... they aren't planning on even looking at submissions until about a week after their deadline. I think this is an overwhelming time for them as well and they seem to be actively practicing some good ol' fashioned avoidance.

This TD agrees.

Reactions: 1 user
So a lot of the sites will say something like "we encourage diverse clients to apply" but, unless I am overlooking it, the APPI doesn't ask about race/ethnicity. Where would you put on your application or application materials that you are a minority?

So a lot of the sites will say something like "we encourage diverse clients to apply" but, unless I am overlooking it, the APPI doesn't ask about race/ethnicity. Where would you put on your application or application materials that you are a minority?
I've seen brochures that say to mention it in your cover letter... maybe something coy like, "...as a member of a minority group (BLAHITYBLAHBLAH), I am especially aware of...blahityblahblah."

While I didn't think about it when I started the essays, I discuss my minority status on Essay 1 (went on to talk about how minority status impacted self exploration, etc.). I also had a site with an Asian-Pacific Islander rotation, and my DCT encouraged me to self-disclose this on the cover letter.

I wrote a lot about this in essay 3 last year for VA's. For counseling centers, I wrote about it in my cover letter, Essay 1, and Essay 3. This could also be because multiculturalism is a large part of my clinical/professional identity. I think it's great to talk about not only your understanding/experiences with clients' intersecting identities, but to show you have an understanding of your own as well.

How soon before we get an interview thread going? I know it's way too early right now but I'm always in the market for a new page to obsessively refresh.

Reactions: 2 users
How soon before we get an interview thread going? I know it's way too early right now but I'm always in the market for a new page to obsessively refresh.
Hahaha. On one hand I'm all for this and on the other hand I think we're feeding our own rumination

OK, now I'm just panicking about dumb things right before submitting my first application.

Does it look bad if an essay is less than 500 words? I have one that I got down to 475 just through refining my language, not by cutting any important themes. Will readers wonder if I was just lazy and could have said more? Or will they be grateful to read 25 less words? ;)

OK, now I'm just panicking about dumb things right before submitting my first application.

Does it look bad if an essay is less than 500 words? I have one that I got down to 475 just through refining my language, not by cutting any important themes. Will readers wonder if I was just lazy and could have said more? Or will they be grateful to read 25 less words? ;)

You are probably the only person that reads your essay that will do an actual word count. Don't worry about it.

The same thing happened to me and I was Freaking out too!

I called AAPI today and asked them about this, as I had the same issue. They said that as long as it is shown as "Submitted" under your Submitted Program Designations list, you are fine and the application has been submitted!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone having problems uploading materials? I had everything uploaded then noticed an error in two cover letters, and now I can't upload the edited versions. Just stalls.

Can't tell whether I should just submit the others now and hope it resolves soon so I can submit the others, or wait a bit.

I successfully submitted the others I had all the materials uploaded for, so the site isn't completely a mess. Still can't upload new documents though.

*sigh* Yup, one of my letter writers can't upload their document. Has been stuck on "Please wait while the file is uploaded and converted to PDF" error for over an hour. The deadline's officially passed. Sent an email to APPIC, hopefully there's an extension of some sort...:lame:

*sigh* Yup, one of my letter writers can't upload their document. Has been stuck on "Please wait while the file is uploaded and converted to PDF" error for over an hour. The deadline's officially passed. Sent an email to APPIC, hopefully there's an extension of some sort...:lame:
Send an email to the TD, too. Many sites accept materials beyond the deadline for this very reason. Briefly explain the issue and that you're working with APPIC. Ask if they would be willing to still review the materials once the issue is fixed with APPIC, and promise to contact them once you are aware the issue is fixed. They will most likely say that's fine.

Has anyone been able to load documents into the website this morning?

Edit with update: I called the support line - they are not aware of the system being down or having issues. They just suggested to try and upload from a different browser (Chrome or Firefox).

Last edited:
I did earlier (around 6am) but it's been down for most of the morning

Sent from my LGLS992 using SDN mobile
I actually was able to upload documents to the portal from my phone. No idea why the browsers aren't working for me. And I'm at the VA today so it's not like I can just download a new web browser.

Sent from my LGLS992 using SDN mobile

Out of curiosity, how many sites is everyone applying to? I submitted 16, but it is hard to step away and say I'm done!

I agree..I submitted 17 but still contemplating one more :wideyed:

I'm doing 17 too. Waiting on accreditation info for one more site, but it doesn't look good for them at this point so they will likely get the chop.
PS I just uploaded 2 new cover letters and submitted so the site appears to be up and running.

Similarly to what MiaWallace has stated, your recommender probably does not have the necessary system requirements. I know that was my issue this morning at my practicum site. Above where we upload documents it states
"Note: If you are having problems uploading your C/V please make sure you are using one of the following browsers.
  • Internet Explorer 9.0 and above
  • Safari 5.1 and above
  • Current and prior major versions of Mozilla Firefox
  • Current and prior major versions of Google Chrome"

Out of curiosity, how many sites is everyone applying to? I submitted 16, but it is hard to step away and say I'm done!
I had similar urges when narrowing my sites down. The national average appears to be about 16. However, the match stats from the past few years don't really show any real significant increase in chance of matching after 12-13 apps. Therefore, I've limited mine to that number. Cost-benefit analysis also played into this, especially considering travel costs to sites for interviews.

Has anyone been able to load documents into the website this morning?

Edit with update: I called the support line - they are not aware of the system being down or having issues. They just suggested to try and upload from a different browser (Chrome or Firefox).

I had issues uploading letters on Chrome last night even though that's what I've been using to upload all my documents, so I'm thinking it was a legitimate issue with the portal. It is working for me now, though!

Question about APPIC:

However, I sent in several applications in bulk yesterday but did not receive any such confirmation. Although the sites are showing up as "complete" under Designations, I'm concerned that something went wrong.

I had this same issue when I submitted multiple (9) applications yesterday, although I did receive the email when I submitted 3 on Sunday. I was also nervous when I did not receive the confirmation email; however, I did get an email from one of the Monday (yesterday) sites saying that they received my complete application. Given this, I'm assuming that they all went through. Just not sure why the bulk confirmation email was never sent...

I had this same issue when I submitted multiple (9) applications yesterday, although I did receive the email when I submitted 3 on Sunday. I was also nervous when I did not receive the confirmation email; however, I did get an email from one of the Monday (yesterday) sites saying that they received my complete application. Given this, I'm assuming that they all went through. Just not sure why the bulk confirmation email was never sent...

I think perhaps it only sends a confirmation once you submit for the first time (however many that is in that batch). That's what happened to me and would explain things.

I had similar urges when narrowing my sites down. The national average appears to be about 16. However, the match stats from the past few years don't really show any real significant increase in chance of matching after 12-13 apps. Therefore, I've limited mine to that number. Cost-benefit analysis also played into this, especially considering travel costs to sites for interviews.

Exactly. I will be applying to 15 MAX, since the cost rises so much after that.

Send an email to the TD, too. Many sites accept materials beyond the deadline for this very reason. Briefly explain the issue and that you're working with APPIC. Ask if they would be willing to still review the materials once the issue is fixed with APPIC, and promise to contact them once you are aware the issue is fixed. They will most likely say that's fine.

For some reason this makes me nervous. Will it read as desperate? Their APPIC directory page said 10/31, 11:59PM but their website materials say "The deadline for receipt of completed applications for the 2017-18 training year is November 1, 2016." I'm not even sure if I was late then? My letter writer was able to upload early this morning, everything is in.

I was able to upload my last two cover letters this morning around 9am and submit them. I have three more to submit with later deadlines, and am going to wait a few days until the rush dies down. I'm applying to 14 total.

I was able to upload my last two cover letters this morning around 9am and submit them. I have three more to submit with later deadlines, and am going to wait a few days until the rush dies down. I'm applying to 14 total.

It's up to you. I think you can word it in a way that isn't desperate.