2017-2018 heme/onc cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Applied today ~40 programs, Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I only have 1/4 of my letters uploaded and available in ERAS. I remember for residency, we were able to submit even if our letters were not 'available and uploaded'. However, it won't even let me select a letter to apply now and the processing time is ~ 7 days.

Can someone please tell me if we can submit the application but send the letters in later? Thank you

no harm in sending 4th!!

I'm not going for Heme/onc but for programs that specifically requested 3, I gave them 3. I was worried that if I gave them 4, they would just pick 3 of them at random (maybe overthinking it, but who knows). I knew for sure I had one particularly strong letter so I wanted to make sure that one didn't need get dropped.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can submit application and send letters later . I have one that was uploaded last Friday and still is not verified yet.

Thank you. And given the competitive nature of HemOnc, is anyone applying for a 'backup' specialty? I feel like the hardest thing to do in that situation would be to justify your interest in both specialties and not be blatantly obvious.

Thank you. And given the competitive nature of HemOnc, is anyone applying for a 'backup' specialty? I feel like the hardest thing to do in that situation would be to justify your interest in both specialties and not be blatantly obvious.
Don't do that.

If you don't match, do PC or hospitalist medicine (preferably as a locums so you can make the phat dollaz) and reapply next year.

Reactions: 1 users
My LORs are not available to be assigned but I applied. Will it negatively impact my application or chances of early rejection due to incomplete application?

A "backup" specialty that you're gonna be stuck with for the rest of your life? that makes no sense whatsoever.

The real question is: do you want to do hem/onc or do you really hate general IM that you're looking to do any fellowship? if it's the later, there're shorter fellowships with easier schedules than hem/onc to go after (like rheum, allergy, endo)

My LORs are not available to be assigned but I applied. Will it negatively impact my application or chances of early rejection due to incomplete application?
I also had a similar question. Can someone please shed some light on this ? Thanks

I also had a similar question. Can someone please shed some light on this ? Thanks
Its very unlikely .. Programs likely start reviewing applications sometimes next week and they all know from last years that some LoRs would not be ready by July 15th

Has Anybody`s application been downloaded?

What already ....i thought i had another week before heartbreaking started

Members don't see this ad :)

This is precisely my worry as well. What I don't want to do is to hit submit with the 1-2 letters that are uploaded and available and get lockec in where I will be unable to send the rest of my letters in later.

Can someone please confirm that we can indeed send more letters in (as long as it's < 4) even after submitting the application?

This is precisely my worry as well. What I don't want to do is to hit submit with the 1-2 letters that are uploaded and available and get lockec in where I will be unable to send the rest of my letters in later.

Can someone please confirm that we can indeed send more letters in (as long as it's < 4) even after submitting the application?

I can confirm for you. I applied on Friday and I added one more LOR today.

Don't mind me, I'll just be neurotically checking my email for the next two months. :nailbiting: My friend who is doing A/I already got an interview. I'm surprised things move so quickly.

Acknowledgement from University of Michigan

Also got uni of michigan acknowledgement

Interview Invitations/Rejections
(Please bold the new IVs added to keep track of changes)

Invitations

Rejections

University of North Carolina: 7/18***

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Rejection from University of North Carolina 7/18

Last edited:
Any ideas how important USMLE exams are? I had to retake STEP 2 CK for Missouri Licensing requirements. I passed both tests on first attempt with high scores (245/265), but I am afraid that the PDs will read it as a second attempt. Any suggestions??

Email or call programs and let them know. They can put a note in your file. I did it when i didnt have letter from PD due to changes at program level and they were ok with that.

Acknowledgement from Duke
I am sorry if I posted in wrong place. In the past, we could see in ERAS if the program downloaded the application. But now, it shows that the application is "available" to the program but it does not say if it is downloaded by the program. Is it the case or I am missing something? Thanks for your response.

I am sorry if I posted in wrong place. In the past, we could see in ERAS if the program downloaded the application. But now, it shows that the application is "available" to the program but it does not say if it is downloaded by the program. Is it the case or I am missing something? Thanks for your response.

I don't know it was last yr or year prior but you no longer see when a program downloads the app and the whole system is actually different so that each time they log in everything that's updated (i.e. A new letter) is automatically available

Invitations
Texas Tech Univ Hlth Sci Pgm: 7/18*

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Invitations
Texas Tech Univ Hlth Sci Pgm: 7/18*,7/19*

Rejections
Medical College of Georgia (Augusta) 7/17

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Invitations
Texas Tech Univ Hlth Sci Pgm: 7/18*,7/19*

Rejections
Medical College of Georgia (Augusta) 7/17

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
**# IMG needs H1
*** USMD

Applied to 25 programs:

Invitations

None

Rejections
University of North Carolina: 7/18

I think I'm going to throw up...I just realized that under the "training" category, I didn't list my residency program. I misread it only as "prior training" so I left it blank since I'd never been at any other residency program. I proofread my application several times and can't believe I missed that. Please tell me I'm not doomed (even though I probably am T_T).

Invitations
Texas Tech Univ Hlth Sci Pgm: 7/18* 7/19*
Yale 7/20***
UT Southwestern 7/20***

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Last edited:
I think I'm going to throw up...I just realized that under the "training" category, I didn't list my residency program. I misread it only as "prior training" so I left it blank since I'd never been at any other residency program. I proofread my application several times and can't believe I missed that. Please tell me I'm not doomed (even though I probably am T_T).

Did you list your residency anywhere on the application... could be still okay.

Surely they could deduce from your recommendation letter from your program director that you are in residency.

When the program asks for letter from current PD, that is my internal medicine PD???? I have graduated 3 weeks ago and currently enrolled in a year fellowship program. Do I need to ask my new PD (fellowship) as well for a letter??? Any comments please?

When the program asks for letter from current PD, that is my internal medicine PD???? I have graduated 3 weeks ago and currently enrolled in a year fellowship program. Do I need to ask my new PD (fellowship) as well for a letter??? Any comments please?
I think they are referring to the IM residency PD. But getting one from your current PD would not hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.