2017-2018 heme/onc cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Maybe this is just peri-match freaking out but thought I would get your opinions. I just took step 3 a week ago and won’t have the results likely until after Match. I did well on steps 1/2 and not taking step 3 yet never came up around during my interviews. But I’m worried that as programs ranked, they may have taken my lack of a step 3 score as a big negative
I wouldn’t even think about it. No one cares about that score as long as you pass

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. Maybe this is just peri-match freaking out but thought I would get your opinions. I just took step 3 a week ago and won’t have the results likely until after Match. I did well on steps 1/2 and not taking step 3 yet never came up around during my interviews. But I’m worried that as programs ranked, they may have taken my lack of a step 3 score as a big negative
As someone who also has had his share of peri-match freaking out ... don't worry about it. They interviewed you without it, and programs don't really have the resources nor desire to interview people that they wouldn't honestly consider having as fellows -- so why would they suddenly care? I say this in the kindest, sincerest, most supportive way possible: literally spend zero more time worrying about this.

Cheers and good luck to all =)

We'll all be fine no matter what...right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your NRMP status still say Certified or did it change to something else? Just checking that mine is ok :)

Wanted to find out how does the scramble work? Incase no match anyone knows?

wow MdAnderson,northwestern(2),Mayo (2)have unfilled spot.

As someone who almost ranked one of these programs #1 ... wow, surprising (though maybe it shouldn't be, given how small the numbers of interviewees are at some places and how all it would take are another dozen or so people to prefer another place to have one or two of your spots unfilled)

Last edited:
Congrats to folks who matched in their desired program.

Just a couple of words for people out there whom we all know exist and are reading this:

1- Folks who are upset about dropping down their list: first, you guys matched and you're in a better position already than the folks in #2 below. It can be frustrating that you did not get what you expected and now maybe your whole plans have changed. Moving to a different city and now spouses have to look for new jobs or do long distance for 3 years...etc. Just take a deep breath and move on. It'll be fine. It's only 3 years and they'll fly by. No matter what program you go to, you'll be just fine. The differences between the programs you interviewed at are likely smaller than what you think. Most likely you will end up liking the program and your new co-fellows. And if you don't, you can spend those 3 years and get the **** out of there.

2- Folks who did not match: I'm really sorry. It sucks. But at least you can still easily have a job (kind of anywhere) and make good cash. If hem/onc is the love of your life, do a little something extra and re-apply. maybe some research or find a hospitalist job on a hematology/BMT floor where you can get to know people and make some connections. If you're not that committed to the specialty or if you think there might be a major flaw in you application that will make your chances of matching very slim, just pass. don't look back. find a nice job that pays well and take care of your family.

Copying forward this quote from last year's thread. Congrats and good luck in all your future endeavors, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't match. I am really torn and any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

Lol I ranked one of those programs higher than the program I matched at, which means they just didn't rank me at all on their list

Lol I ranked one of those programs higher than the program I matched at, which means they just didn't rank me at all on their list
Man, I feel like when applicants ask whether they should rank all the programs they interview at, the response is "well would you rather not match than end up at the bottom ranked program on your list?"

You'd think programs would think the same and rank everyone they interview

Congrats to those who matched!

Kind of crazy that some of those aforementioned places didn't fill - almost sounds like there was a bug in the algorithm or they were way too picky.

...or they were way too picky.
This.

Although some of these places seem to have enough funding and support staff that they don't necessarily need the fellows as a pure source of cheap labor, so perhaps they can literally afford to be picky in that regard.

This.

Although some of these places seem to have enough funding and support staff that they don't necessarily need the fellows as a pure source of cheap labor, so perhaps they can literally afford to be picky in that regard.
I have been contacting programs to scramble and the places mentioned are now filled.

This.

Yeah I know, but still it seems a bit crazy, especially now that it sounds like they had spots filled up through the scramble

Yeah I know, but still it seems a bit crazy, especially now that it sounds like they had spots filled up through the scramble
Yeah, if they scrambled immediately for their spots then I take it back

how do you guys think was haem onc this year overall;?

I haven't heard from the program I matched at yet via e-mail or otherwise. Not sure if that is the norm? After residency match, the program e-mail me right away with a congrats and next steps. Just wondering what others experience has been

It's normal, I don't think I formally heard from my program for at least a few days

Man, I feel like when applicants ask whether they should rank all the programs they interview at, the response is "well would you rather not match than end up at the bottom ranked program on your list?"

You'd think programs would think the same and rank everyone they interview

Actually, if programs thought the same then those that didn't fill are thinking that they'd rather go unfilled than rank a particular applicant, which unfortunately doesn't feel good for said applicant. I know at my program they rank maybe half of interviewees. The fact is that people can look really good on paper but just not hold up in person. Some programs only care about what's on paper, but others care about everything.

Last edited:
Actually, if programs thought the same then those that didn't fill are thinking that they'd rather go unfilled than rank a particular applicant, which unfortunately doesn't feel good for said applicant.
Right, exactly.

I'm obviously not a program director or involved in the process of matching applicants at all, so maybe going unfilled (at least in a competitive specialty) isn't so bad? Clearly the aforementioned programs didn't have an issue filling their spots in a matter of hours.

I know at my program they rank maybe half of interviewees.
Yeah, and I'm sure your program, like most, still fills up their quota of spots always or almost always. I'm making these numbers up, but if ranking ~70 people usually is way more than necessary to fill the few spots each year, then sure, why would you rank 140?

The fact is that people can look really good on paper but just not hold up in person. Some programs only care about what's on paper, but others care about everything.
Just for argument's sake, though: In the off chance that there's a crazy year and the program goes unfilled (since I can't imagine the aforementioned programs thought they were going to go unfilled), how much of a thorough, beyond-the-paper, evaluation are you getting in an hour or so on match day when you're scrambling to fill your spot?

I guess I subscribe to the "better the devil you know" school of thought, but to each their own.

Actually, if programs thought the same then those that didn't fill are thinking that they'd rather go unfilled than rank a particular applicant, which unfortunately doesn't feel good for said applicant. I know at my program they rank maybe half of interviewees. The fact is that people can look really good on paper but just not hold up in person. Some programs only care about what's on paper, but others care about everything.

Some programs would prefer to have the bragging right to boast "we have filled our five spots with first six preferred applicants". Also,with almost required post interview communications and feigned interests from both-sides,made the perfectly designed algorithm lose its purpose. The article : Fixing the "match": How to Play the Game. J Grad Med Educ.v.4(2);2012 Jun,sums it all up!

Some programs would prefer to have the bragging right to boast "we have filled our five spots with first six preferred applicants". Also,with almost required post interview communications and feigned interests from both-sides,made the perfectly designed algorithm lose its purpose. The article : Fixing the "match": How to Play the Game. J Grad Med Educ.v.4(2);2012 Jun,sums it all up!

In another specialty, one of the top programs only ranks people who tell them they're their #1, essentially handpicking their incoming class and have bragging rights about their match success. My friend interviewed there a few years ago, the PD told him immediately during the interview that they're ranking him highly. Either the PD was telling the truth, in which case they don't really care about the interview and only what's on paper (I've met strong applicants with crappy personalities). Or they're lying and saying that to get my friend (and presumably other applicants they're saying this to) to get him to rank the program highly. Pretty arrogant of the program and other programs that do similar things to game the match.

There should be some sort of penalty if programs lie to applicants regarding their place on the rank list. Or the ACGME should simply prohibit any communication from the program about how they plan to rank applicants. But even if rules aren’t changed, these programs are playing a short-sighted game by causing damage to their credibility and reputation

Just a comment on “top programs not filling their spots”:

This is not the first time it happens. It is actually not all that uncommon in both IM and specialty matches. I remember when I was interviewing for IM that a couple of the top 10 (or whatever) programs had a few unfilled spots. A few reasons why that might happen:

1- Programs get unlucky: let’s say a top program interviews 30 people for 5 spots each year and they don’t go down below 20 historically. They get unlucky one year and not enough people rank them high. They either learn the lesson and invite more people the following year or accept the small risk of going unfilled.
2- Programs overestimate their popularity: a top program interviews 30 people for 5 spots and they don’t usually go below 15. They get cocky and decide to only invite 20 people one year and they get screwed and end up unfilled. Or they get cocky and decide to interview 30 people but only rank 20 of them with the same outcome.
3- Programs overestimate their popularity among internal candidates: a top program interviews 25 people for 5 spots because historically 2-3/5 spots are filled internally. One year all the internal candidates decide to go somewhere else and they end up with unfilled spots.
4- Programs invite the wrong candidates: usually has to do with new/amateur leadership. A program that usually fills with a mix of top and near top US grad candidates/internal candidates/top foreign grads decides one year to only invite top US grad candidates from top IM residencies. Reality hits and they go unfilled.

a lot of other program-specific reasons. but you get the point.

And you’d be wrong to think that top programs don’t actually need fellows and they don’t mind going unfilled. There are inpatient services to be run and pagers to be held and night calls to be answered everywhere.

congrats to all who matched ! I am a MS4 looking at internal medicine programs with an interesting in heme onc fellowship. One of the programs I'm considering is UT-Houston, which traditionally match at least one person into MD Anderson but did not this year. Just wondering if anyone knows whether this is due to individual circumstances or changes in program affiliations -- for instances Baylor started sending residents to rotate at MD Anderson.

congrats to all who matched ! I am a MS4 looking at internal medicine programs with an interesting in heme onc fellowship. One of the programs I'm considering is UT-Houston, which traditionally match at least one person into MD Anderson but did not this year. Just wondering if anyone knows whether this is due to individual circumstances or changes in program affiliations -- for instances Baylor started sending residents to rotate at MD Anderson.

Very unlikely it's due to any of those reasons. Maybe there just weren't any good applicants from UT or no one from UT was interested in MDA, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Very unlikely it's due to any of those reasons. Maybe there just weren't any good applicants from UT or no one from UT was interested in MDA, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Baylor sent a resident to MDA for heme/onc this year.

Baylor has largely displaced UT Houston at MDA on a medicine resident level.

All fellows remain UT Houston.

Baylor sent a resident to MDA for heme/onc this year.

Baylor has largely displaced UT Houston at MDA on a medicine resident level.

All fellows remain UT Houston.

But is that why no one from UT matched there? Who knows. Whatever the case, choosing a residency based on speculation and deciphering of match lists (especially a single year) and perceived 'pathways' between programs is probably the wrong approach and may end up in disappointment.

But is that why no one from UT matched there? Who knows. Whatever the case, choosing a residency based on speculation and deciphering of match lists (especially a single year) and perceived 'pathways' between programs is probably definitely the wrong approach and may will end up in disappointment.
Fixed that for you.

Are you an MS4 interesting in heme onc or an MS4 interesting in heme onc specifically at MDACC?

Thank you for all the responses. I am interested in heme onc in general but MD Anderson would be a top choice. Just wondering if there is still good access to MDACC faculty and research opportunities at UT-Houston, which can be reflected by fellowship match.

Thank you for all the responses. I am interested in heme onc in general but MD Anderson would be a top choice. Just wondering if there is still good access to MDACC faculty and research opportunities at UT-Houston, which can be reflected by fellowship match.

I'd be a little wary of ranking a residency program solely for a perceived connection to a specific fellowship program. There are a lot of downstream uncertainties that come into play. One is that you may change your mind about subspecialty in residency - in which case the connection doesn't matter at all anymore. In fact, the majority of the people I know who started IM residency interested in oncology ultimately chose to apply for something else. Secondly, there's variation every year in the applicant pool and competitiveness. It is entirely possible during your year, twenty people from UCSF/MGH/Hopkins will want to go to MDACC which could very well squeeze out the majority of the local candidates from less "prestigious" programs. My best advice for a med student would be to choose the program that's the best fit and offers well-rounded clinical training. Generic, I know.

Reactions: 1 users
do we have nrmp data for fellowship? Was wondering about competitiveness.

So will anyone else share where they matched? This thread is weird this year.

So will anyone else share where they matched? This thread is weird this year.
It's ridiculous. It's gotten worse year by year. That's why I didn't even bother to create the application cycle threads this year. I knew they'd suck.

Reactions: 1 users
Harbor-UCLA!

Also NRMP data attached

Attachments

• MSMP 366 MRS.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 276
Reactions: 2 users
I'd be a little wary of ranking a residency program solely for a perceived connection to a specific fellowship program. There are a lot of downstream uncertainties that come into play. One is that you may change your mind about subspecialty in residency - in which case the connection doesn't matter at all anymore. In fact, the majority of the people I know who started IM residency interested in oncology ultimately chose to apply for something else. Secondly, there's variation every year in the applicant pool and competitiveness. It is entirely possible during your year, twenty people from UCSF/MGH/Hopkins will want to go to MDACC which could very well squeeze out the majority of the local candidates from less "prestigious" programs. My best advice for a med student would be to choose the program that's the best fit and offers well-rounded clinical training. Generic, I know.

Yes generic but also true. for an MS to say that they want to do hem/onc at MDACC is very naive. This is a typical MS mentality and most people will shake it off as they become more mature in their careers. So to remind them not to base important decisions now on certain fellowship aspirations at a certain program is the best advice you can give them.

Status
Not open for further replies.