2017-2018 LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I post this every year since there tend to be a lot of questions on rotations.

I'm a fourth year now so my time is going to be limited with Step 2 and residency applications, but I'm happy to answer questions about life at LECOM. I can't answer questions about your chances of getting in or when you'll hear anything about your application or interview outcome.

Edit to add: tag me or quote me if you're asking me something-- I'm not going to be checking this thread regularly but I'm happy to help when and if I can.

LECOM-Erie/Seton Hill
THIS HAS BEEN EDITED SINCE THE ORIGINAL POST

Length at each site: all of 3rd year, 4th year depends on site

How is site determined?: match “lottery” organized by class government. One site reserved for GPA >3.0. GPA <2.5 are "alpha" and generally go to Elmira or Erie, although as of Class of 2019 there are additional sites with "alpha" spots. I've heard rumors that the alpha cutoff is going up to 2.8, but as of now this is not confirmed.

Do students have to set up their own rotations?: For electives, selectives and family medicine but not other cores.

Freedom to do rotations outside of designated site?: Yes for electives and family medicine. I'm not sure about selectives. Not for cores unless you're military (HPSP).

States/Sites:

Home Hospital: Millcreek Hospital/LECOM Health in Erie, PA

Residencies offered Many sites have some AOA and/or ACGME residencies associated with them-- number of residencies and which specialties is highly variable.

True Academic University Sites (Residencies): I guess-- Millcreek Hospital/LECOM Health in Erie, PA

Community Sites (Residencies): (a lot of these have residencies but I don't have details offhand)

Pennsylvania:
Allegheny Health Network - Pittsburgh
Aria Health - Philadelphia
Butler Health System - Butler
Clarion Hospital - Clarion
Conemaugh Memorial -Johnstown
Guthrie/Robert Packer - Sayer
Indiana Regional MC- Indiana
Meadville MC - MEadville
Memorial Hospital - York
Millcreek Community - Erie
Penn Highlands - Dubois
Pinnacle Health- Harrisburg
Saint Vincent HC - Erie
Uniontown Hospital - Uniontown
UPMC Horizon - Farrell
Washington HS - Washington

Ohio:
Adena Health System - Chillicothe
East Liverpool - East Liverpool
St. Elizabeth - Youngstown
UHS Cleveland East - Cleveland
UHS Cleveland West - Cleveland

New York:
Arnot Ogden- Elmira
Niagara Falls MMC-- Niagara Falls
Our Lady of Lourdes- Binghampton
Samaritan MC - Watertown
Sisters of Charity - Buffalo
St. John's Episcopal - Far Rockaway
St. John's Riverside - Yonkers
United Memorial MC- Batavia
WCA Hospital - Jamestown

California:
San Diego Regional - San Diego

Michigan:
Beaumont- Trenton

3rd year rotations: 3 internal medicine, 2 surgery, 1 family medicine, 1 geriatrics, 1 psych, 1 peds, 1 OB/GYN, 2 electives, 1 vacation
4th year rotation: 1 "clinical development", 3 electives, 1 surgery selective, 1 medical selective, 1 primary care selective, 2 emergency medicine, 2 ambulatory medicine, 1 rural/underserved, 1 vacation

Notables:
--most sites have a mix of hospital-based and outpatient rotations
--Many, but not all of these sites, are associated with residency programs. I'm not going into details by site because I don't know all of the details and don't want to spread misinformation.
--you rank your top six programs and top four schedules (out of 13 options) and student government attempts to balance student happiness with meeting clin ed's requirements. Some years this goes better than other years.
--if your site doesn't have a certain rotation (e.g. several locations don't have psych) you usually go to Millcreek for that month. Housing is provided.
--our schedules have been organized to have (pro) multiple elective months in the fall of 4th year for audition rotations and (con) a mandatory month in Erie for a geriatrics rotation 3rd year
--You can make limited changes to your schedule in fourth year to allow for extra auditions.

Edited: added some additional information 6/13/2017

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really? still waiting for mine :(

Reactions: 1 user
Does LECOM accept fee waiver?

Yeah they do. After submitting the secondary do not go on to the payment section. Send their admissions office an email with your forwarded FAP email and they will waive the fee.

GOT MY SECONDARY IM SO HAPPY!

Secondary received and submitted. Good luck y'all!

This school puts Canadians "under review" before sending out secondaries. Just FYI for Canadians out there!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In their email it says "If you are selected for an interview, you will need to submit letters of recommendation." Do they not get these from AACOMAS, or do I need my school to directly send them the letters later on. Obvious I'm getting ahead of myself, but I was just curious.

In their email it says "If you are selected for an interview, you will need to submit letters of recommendation." Do they not get these from AACOMAS, or do I need my school to directly send them the letters later on. Obvious I'm getting ahead of myself, but I was just curious.

They can get them from AACOMAS. Alot of other applicants like myself still have not had our letters added. It mostly pertains to us. We need to get our letters in chop chop if we get invited for an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
They can get them from AACOMAS. Alot of other applicants like myself still have not had our letters added. It mostly pertains to us. We need to get our letters in chop chop if we get invited for an interview.
Is it possible to get invited for an interview without letters?

just got an interview offer today for july... anyone else?

Reactions: 4 users
After how long from your verification date did you guys get ur secondary? I haven't received mine yet. Verification date June 21st

Been refreshing often, last year they started on the 28...here is to hoping.

I also just got an interview invite for July. Any advice on how to go about preparing for it?

I also just got an interview invite for July. Any advice on how to go about preparing for it?

I heard it is very chill and group interview style. I think its a great format for a starter interview since it is so relaxed. Be sure to speak out though!

Did the invite come via email or the portal?

Congrats by the way!

Congrats y'all! Was this for early acceptance or regular admissions?

Anyone know the format of the group interview at leecom? Do they ask a question and its a free for all for who gets to answer, or does everyone get a chance to answer the same question? Are there MMIs at leecom?

For people with interview invites, when did you get "Under Review" Email from LECOM?

When did AACOMAS open up and how soon does Erie send interviews?

GOT MY SECONDARY IM SO HAPPY!

When did you send your primary? I sent my primary last week and haven't heard from this school. They're one of my top choices but I don't know how fast they move :unsure:

When did you send your primary? I sent my primary last week and haven't heard from this school. They're one of my top choices but I don't know how fast they move :unsure:

I submitted on the very first day that AACOMAS opened.

II!!!!

Scheduled for 7/14 holy moly that's so soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I post this every year since there tend to be a lot of questions on rotations.

I'm a fourth year now so my time is going to be limited with Step 2 and residency applications, but I'm happy to answer questions about life at LECOM. I can't answer questions about your chances of getting in or when you'll hear anything about your application or interview outcome.

Can you post some tips on the interview day? What kinds of questions will we be asked? This will be the first school I'll interview at

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile