2017 cycle advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure there was a similar thread like this but i cant find it anymore.

Anyway, Im applying this cycle and I think it'd be cool to have anyone who's applied and gotten in give us ANY advice or insight that they'd like to give about the process, PS, interviews, etc..
You guys are an invaluable source and your advice is always appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Apply early
2. Be yourself during interviews
3. Do NOT freak out when it is October and you have not heard any news. This process takes a very long time
4. Know why you want to go to a certain school (every school asks this)
5. Have fun

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1- girls: bring extra stockings with you to your interview...

2- guys: try white shirt and conservative tie. Don't try to be flashy.

3- APPLY EARLY! Submit your app by June 10-15.

4- prepare your LOR and personal statements by June 1st.

5- be as relaxed as possible on your interview day. You're already in if you don't do or say something to blow it up. Try to ask as many questions as possible on ur interview day. Tour the facilities after your interview and take pictures to review after receiving multiple admission offers. Write your review of the school right after the interview day. Score your experince and have recorods of your thoughts. You'll thank yourself later.

7- research SDN about schools to have a foundation about better programs to apply to, BUT don't make decisions ONLY on what is being recommended here! Talk to current students. Facebook groups is a good start.

8- write a unique personal statement. It's about you and your story. make it as intresting as possible to read.

9- pay attention to detailed instructions about each program requirements. Yes, you might have just missed the fact that I skipped number 6 on this list! Pay attention to deadlines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
One major thing I forgot: USE SDN'S INTERVIEW FEEDBACK. If you don't know what I'm talking about Google it. Reading about other peoples' interview experience, including specific questions asked, is really helpful. Write down responses to unique questions that many people state they had, you'll be glad you did.

Reactions: 1 user
This one might be a little silly...but gentlemen, learn how to properly wear a suit.

-Learn what buttons to button/unbutton
-learn what colors to wear.
-put on a decent pair of shoes.
-familiarize yourself with an iron.

If you are smart enough to get yourself invited to an interview, you are smart enough to prepare to present yourself professionally.

I swear, during one of my interviews we had a bunch of dudes dressed like they were getting ready for a funeral. One dude looked like he stuffed his suit in a garbage bag and pulled it out right before the interview. He also wore black workboots with it and slouched so hard that his back was parallel to the ground.

This was just a few people though. The majority of my interview groups were dressed very sharp.

Reactions: 2 users
Limited your checking of SDN/your email to once or twice a day after you've submitted your application. Seriously, try not to think about it. You won't like seeing an empty inbox (well, empty of an interview invite) and you sure are hell won't like seeing people on this website posting about interviews you're waiting to receive.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Have all your personal statements and LORs ready before June --- SERIOUSLY! It will allow you to apply earlier.

2. Try to get started on the secondaries ASAP. Some schools will request them, and if you havealready done the questions, your turnaround will be quick! You can usually google the secondaries for each school. Also, some schools will not ask you and you have to do it on your own (i.e. Creighton). Some are also super long, like U of Minnesota (3 essays).

3. Don't get all caught up on receiving rejections. Admissions is about finding the right fit for the school and for you. A rejection should be looked as "not the right fit" and not as a "i am not good enough."

4. Do not check SDN until you receive interview invites. Reading up on everyone's invites, stats, mail-out dates, and that stuff really dampens your confidence and self-worth (unless you like the pain or misery-loves-company type of situation).

5. Not having any pre-dec interviews is not an end-of-the-world type of situation (even tho it might feel like it). From someone who got all post-dec interviews, as long as you be yourself, you will be fine (I even ended up not going to one). Pre-Dec interviews only increase the chances of getting an acceptance. It surely does not guarantee an acceptance!

I know the advice is to apply as early as possible, but I am taking Summer classes that I would like to include. Should I say "screw it" and apply early anyway? Stats below without DAT:

Apply Early:
Undergrad GPA: 3.1 sGPA 3.3 oGPA
One semester post bacc: 4.0
One semester SMP: 4.0
Shadowing: 250
Volunteering: 150
Research: 150

Apply August:
two semesters SMP: Hopefully 4.0
Shadowing: 300-350
Volunteering: 200

I'll be taking the DAT in May. Aiming for a 20 TS/AA minimum. Thanks in advance!!!

I swear to God there was a kid at one of my interviews wearing white ankle socks with his black suit. When he sat down you could see both the socks and the skin above. It was painful to watch.
I don't even understand why people wore black in the first place? I understand that black is universal, but it's really not.
And there are those who try to look all trendy and crap.
You've worked too hard to ruin it by looking ridiculous by making a fashion statement.
As dudes, we have it easy as far as what to wear to these things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I swear to God there was a kid at one of my interviews wearing white ankle socks with his black suit. When he sat down you could see both the socks and the skin above. It was painful to watch.
I would fight my friends if they ever allowed me to wear ankle socks

Reactions: 2 users
I know the advice is to apply as early as possible, but I am taking Summer classes that I would like to include. Should I say "screw it" and apply early anyway? Stats below without DAT:

Apply Early:
One semester SMP: 4.0
Shadowing: 250
Volunteering: 150

Apply August:
two semesters SMP: Hopefully 4.0
Shadowing: 300-350
Volunteering: 200

I'll be taking the DAT in May. Aiming for a 20 TS/AA minimum. Thanks in advance!!!

I'm in the same situation too.... debating whether I should just apply early in mid-June with the grades from just the first semester of my Master's (projecting a 4.0, as the end of semester is coming near), OR take like 3 classes over summer and get all A's (assuming I do) and then apply early August.
I'm still contemplating about this, because I have almost the same GPA's as the poster, and was wondering if the advantage of those extra A's over summer could possibly outweigh the disadvantage of applying slightly late. Maybe a few more A's could have a stronger play in convincing the adcoms that I can adequately handle upper-level biology courses...?

HELP PLEASE!

Don't hijack the thread. If you want personal advice make your own thread.

Don't hijack the thread. If you want personal advice make your own thread.

Idk if you're referring to my question, but the poster asked for general advice from accepted students for the applicants applying in this upcoming 2017 cycle. I don't think my question warrants it's own thread. I just thought to ask, since so many people in THIS thread are suggesting to apply as early as possible and I wondered what these people thought of my situation. Not trying to hijack this thread.

Lol, where was this at cause I saw someone do this as well.

Bump. keep it coming- this is really great stuff

The black vs gray/navy debate is sort of relevant to this thread, so here's my two cents

I had eight interviews, wore the same black suit to all, more times than not without a chance to iron or dry clean it in between as interviews were bunched and Friday/Monday type situations where I didn't get a chance to get it done. I was accepted to six of the eight schools Dec 1st. I really think that as long as your suit does not make you stand out and is clean/professional, it's a non factor. Just my opinion.

This is not to say I prefer black. My mother and I went to Men's Wearhouse and she's 60 and thought that black was the only professional attire acceptable. I tried to explain that gray was the move but she is quite stubborn in her old age, and since she was paying for the suit I conceded. As it was only $175, and considering hindsight is 20/20, I should've just purchased a gray one with my own money because I'm probably gonna do that for the residency interview trail anyway.

Again, just my two cents, individual mileage may vary.
Solid points. And congrats on the acceptances.
Maybe it was just the black ones I saw. They were a little shiny to my liking for the occasion. It could've been the material instead of the color.
The fact that you actually TRIED to look presentable is what mattered.

Tufts on November 16th, I really hope it was the same kid because if not that means either he did it twice or there's more than one person out there making the same mistake
No it was someone else but same situation. Yeah that will be one thing I won't ever understand.

Just black or gray? Man.. I was planning on walking into those interviews with a suit like the guys that get drafted in sports wear.

Attachments

• Wiggins.jpg
    Wiggins.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 43
If you are applying to a lot of schools my advice is to have several references available.I applied to 15 schools and I had 6 evaluators . Even though you are only able to have 4 evaluators in your AADSAS application. It is best to have a few extra. The reason being is that each school requires different references to complete their application. So although you might have 4 evaluators in your AADSAS they might not all fit the criteria required for a particular school. For example one of my evaluators in my AADSAS was a prof who taught me a Biology class that was Lab based. Some of the schools that I applied to did not count Lab based classes, they only wanted lecture based classes. So I had to contact another prof and have them forward a LoE directly to the schools that would not count my Lab based classes.

Here is a list of evaluators that I had
1. Dentist
2. Supervisor for Job
3. Chemistry Prof
4. Biology Prof - Lab Based Class
5. Psychology Prof (Neurobiolgy)
6. Education Policy Prof (Humanities)

If you are applying to a lot of schools my advice is to have several references available.I applied to 15 schools and I had 6 evaluators . Even though you are only able to have 4 evaluators in your AADSAS application. It is best to have a few extra. The reason being is that each school requires different references to complete their application. So although you might have 4 evaluators in your AADSAS they might not all fit the criteria required for a particular school. For example one of my evaluators in my AADSAS was a prof who taught me a Biology class that was Lab based. Some of the schools that I applied to did not count Lab based classes, they only wanted lecture based classes. So I had to contact another prof and have them forward a LoE directly to the schools that would not count my Lab based classes.

Here is a list of evaluators that I had
1. Dentist
2. Supervisor for Job
3. Chemistry Prof
4. Biology Prof - Lab Based Class
5. Psychology Prof (Neurobiolgy)
6. Education Policy Prof (Humanities)
How many are you able to upload to AADSAS? Can you customize which ones upload to which schools?

1- girls: bring extra stockings with you to your interview...

2- guys: try white shirt and conservative tie. Don't try to be flashy.

3- APPLY EARLY! Submit your app by June 10-15.

4- prepare your LOR and personal statements by June 1st.

5- be as relaxed as possible on your interview day. You're already in if you don't do or say something to blow it up. Try to ask as many questions as possible on ur interview day. Tour the facilities after your interview and take pictures to review after receiving multiple admission offers. Write your review of the school right after the interview day. Score your experince and have recorods of your thoughts. You'll thank yourself later.

7- research SDN about schools to have a foundation about better programs to apply to, BUT don't make decisions ONLY on what is being recommended here! Talk to current students. Facebook groups is a good start.

8- write a unique personal statement. It's about you and your story. make it as intresting as possible to read.

9- pay attention to detailed instructions about each program requirements. Yes, you might have just missed the fact that I skipped number 6 on this list! Pay attention to deadlines.

I really like your #5!