2017 Match Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hockeyfan23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have posted on here a few times, but just wanted some of your opinions, especially for those who have recently gone through the match. I am a US citizen IMG (Caribbean) applying for this upcoming neuro match. Step 1 in mid 220s (1st Attempt), Pass on CS (1st Attempt), and taking CK next week hoping for some improvement in scores, good grades in basic sciences and clinicals, good extra-curriculars, and two publications (co-author), no red flags whatsoever. I am from suburbs of Chicago and am looking to go back there/midwest. I am planning on applying to most programs but wanted to gauge my competitiveness. Also since many programs are "advanced" I would like to know how many prelim spots would be safe to apply for in case I don't land a categorical. My school doesn't really advise us on this so any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump....Sorry I know you guys are busy, but I really just want to know how many pre-lim spots I need to apply for if I'm looking to stay in the midwest. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

I am applying for neuro as well, to my knowledge 50 - 70 is more than enough for prelim, since most of the programs are categorical, in worst case if you match an advance one and fail to match for prelim, they will provide you prelim somewhere...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey hockeyfan. Sorry no one responded to this sooner. I'm sure you already applied/figured out some strategy but just tossing this out there in case it helps. The general advice we got was to make sure you can rank like 2-3 for each advanced program. I'm assuming you're applying mostly to advanced programs that are in the midwest based on your OP so I'd just apply to a handful of chicago prelims and call it a day. Worst case scenario you end up in chicago for a year and then go wherever the next year or like shanian said, you'll find a prelim last second somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply guys. I applied to around 90 neuro programs and 25 prelims. I would say there are more categorical than advanced in my selection but I applied broadly due to being us img and sub par board scores. I have no red flags whatsoever. I'm a us citizen with no gaps and passed all steps on first try. I realize neuro is getting more competitive but I'm hoping to get a decent amount of interviews. I already got one Friday at UTenn so hoping they start coming in. Thanks everyone

Thanks for the reply guys. I applied to around 90 neuro programs and 25 prelims. I would say there are more categorical than advanced in my selection but I applied broadly due to being us img and sub par board scores. I have no red flags whatsoever. I'm a us citizen with no gaps and passed all steps on first try. I realize neuro is getting more competitive but I'm hoping to get a decent amount of interviews. I already got one Friday at UTenn so hoping they start coming in. Thanks everyone
Is it getting more competitive? I don't doubt it but I just recently saw people start to say this and I am wondering where it comes from.

Is it getting more competitive? I don't doubt it but I just recently saw people start to say this and I am wondering where it comes from.

I've been around here a while, and literally every year people say neurology is getting more competitive. Everyone wants their club to be exclusive and special. Would the Marines have the same esprit de corps if you could become a member just by mailing in a cereal box top? People want to go to the nightclub with the line halfway around the block, because it must be awesome inside, right?

And showing step scores for neurology residents is meaningless without step scores for all residents. The whole curve can shift without changing relative positions of competitiveness.

Neurology Step 1 scores increased one point over the past two years, but relatively less than inflation (3 points). By this measure (and by % AOA), Neurology has become slightly less competitive since 2014.

Overall Matched Step 1 2014: 230
Overall % AOA 2014: 16%
Mean Matched Step 1 2016: 233
Overall % AOA 2016: 17.3%

Neurology Matched Step 1 2014: 230 (+/- 12)
% AOA 2014: 12.8%
Neurology Matched Step 1 2016: 231 (+/- 12)
% AOA 2016: 12.5%

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf

Reactions: 1 users