2017 Pathology ERAS/NRMP Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brbEightball

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well. This will be my first post in the pathology subforum; I have noticed application/interview threads for the ERAS/NRMP cycle in previous years but have not yet noticed one for the current cycle (hopefully I'm not so ridiculously blind as to have missed it). Would any of my fellow senior students be interested in sharing some basic updates (or neuroticisms) as the interview trail commences? ERAS is released tomorrow, after all.

In prior years posters have occasionally shared some of their stats and kept each other abreast of updates concerning interviews. To start things off, I can share some of mine: US MD / Step 1 250s / Step 2 TBD / 0 Pubs / AOA TBD. I'm applying to 20 programs with a slight preference for the Great Lakes regions. I'm excited to get things started, though have some anxiety over my lack of pubs, extremely late Step 2 dates (CK in a week, CS in December. Also still waiting on 2/4 LORs...these are from experienced faculty so I'm trying not to sweat it too much.

Prior years have also featured interview invite dates (that's the date the interview invites were sent out, not the actual date of interview). Hopefully we can get that started fairly soon.

Members don't see this ad.

IMG graduated 2 years ago. STEP1: 259 STEP2CK: 263, STEP2CS: PASS
Applied to more than 60 programs. My only concern is that I submitted my application on Sept 15th with 1LOR, I added the other one the same day when it arrived and still waiting for the 3rd one. I am afraid they pull my application apart because it is not complete.

Good to hear from another applicant. Things have been all quiet so far, just a "we see you" email from one program so far. Per last year's thread interview invites started really churning about a week after release.

I am afraid they pull my application apart because it is not complete.

I wouldn't worry too much; from older sources it seems like many programs aren't bothered as long as everything is in by October 1st. Those that send invites before then do so without the weight of your MSPE letter, and thus are ostensibly okay with an incomplete app. Nice scores, btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am new to SDN but this seems like a better option than just sitting around wondering if anyone has heard anything yet. I am a US senior / Step 1 263 / Step 2 TBD (taking in November so you are in good company @brbEightball ) / ~8 pubs (MD/PhD) / AOA TBD / all four LORs submitted by 9/1.

I applied to 14 programs, haven't heard anything yet - not even a "we see you" email :(

Best of luck to everyone, I hope we get some more participants on the thread soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I'm new to SDN as well, I'm an old IMG (6 years postgraduate), my step scores are pretty average but I have done step 3. I applied broadly to Pathology, probably to programs in every state in the country. Haven't heard anything yet besides an email from Cleveland clinic saying that they'll start reviewing applications shortly.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

Hello,

I am new to SDN but this seems like a better option than just sitting around wondering if anyone has heard anything yet. I am a US senior / Step 1 263 / Step 2 TBD (taking in November so you are in good company @brbEightball ) / ~8 pubs (MD/PhD) / AOA TBD / all four LORs submitted by 9/1.

I applied to 14 programs, haven't heard anything yet - not even a "we see you" email :(

Best of luck to everyone, I hope we get some more participants on the thread soon.

You only applied to 14 programs? I would definitely apply to more than that. It's not too late to add some programs. This is not the time to get overconfident. The strategy is to apply to more than you need, then start turning down invites after you have more than enough.

14 is more than enough with a 263 and 8 pubs. Not only will you get interviews from every place you applied to, you'll have your choice of any program you want, assuming you're a normal human. No need to add unnecessary stress to an already stressful time. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, it's an incredibly exciting time!

Reactions: 1 users
For what it's worth, one of my seniors (currently a 2nd-yr path resident) only applied to 15 programs and scored 14 interviews. I know nothing of his/her scores or qualifications, however. He/she explained those results as a reflection of the competitiveness of path at the moment, especially for US grads.

Fingers crossed for some invites this week. Let's get the list going!

I've gotten invites from University of Maryland (9/15) and Thomas Jefferson (9/16)....

Nice. I've also received an invite this weekend, so hopefully that's enough to justify starting a list. Pardon my formatting--I'll start it without usernames for now since I assume we are most interested in "who's interviewing", rather than "who's interviewing who". Feel free to copy+paste and edit as you get invites.

Illinois
University of Chicago - 9/18,

Maryland
University of Maryland - 9/15,

Pennsylvania
Thomas Jefferson University - 9/16,

Illinois

Maryland

Massachusetts
Brigham and Women's (9/17)

Pennsylvania

Illinois

Maryland

Massachusetts
Brigham and Women's - 9/17,
Mass General Hospital - 9/19,

Pennsylvania

Washington
University of Washington - 9/15,

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Did you submit 4 letters to all programs? Or only to those who didn't specify the number of letters needed.

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19,

Illinois

Maryland

Massachusetts

Pennsylvania

Washington

14 is more than enough with a 263 and 8 pubs. Not only will you get interviews from every place you applied to, you'll have your choice of any program you want, assuming you're a normal human. No need to add unnecessary stress to an already stressful time. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, it's an incredibly exciting time!

That's true if you already know where you want to go, have a limited geographic area you're willing to move to, limited time/budget for interviewing, etc. Otherwise, in my opinion, if you've worked that hard and you're really competitive, why would you limit yourself to 14 programs? I know for a fact that there are more than 14 really good programs out there. But to each their own!

Hello,

I'm new to SDN as well, I'm an old IMG (6 years postgraduate), my step scores are pretty average but I have done step 3. I applied broadly to Pathology, probably to programs in every state in the country. Haven't heard anything yet besides an email from Cleveland clinic saying that they'll start reviewing applications shortly.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

Same situation here, usually hospitals review AMG applicants early and for FMG i guess by the end this month or the beginning of October.
Goodluck everyone !

I have 3 LOR from pathologists. I have the 4th from a Chair of Surgery. Do you recommend me to upload this one or should I upload only the ones from pathologists.

I have 3 LOR from pathologists. I have the 4th from a Chair of Surgery. Do you recommend me to upload this one or should I upload only the ones from pathologists.
Sure, I don't see why that would hurt you unless you intend to have an even more strongly written 5th later further down the road. I personally think perspectives from non-pathologists are of some value, though I don't speak for any program directors.

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19,

Illinois

Maryland

Massachusetts

Missouri
Washington University - 9/19,

North Carolina
Duke University - 9/20,

Pennsylvania

Tennessee
Vanderbilt University - 9/19,

Washington

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin - 9/19,

Last edited:
US grad and high scores? Should be plenty. I was an IMG, overkilled at 51 and had over half the places offer an interview, despite adding some pie-in-the-skies. I wound up going on 16 or 17. Exhausting and expensive.

If I am remembering correctly, 3 letters are required by most programs, and the max is 4. The ideal is three very strong letters, two coming from pathologists and the third from a non-pathologist. Three really strong letters are better than four so-so letters. Of course there's no way to tell for sure how strong the letters are because you're supposed to waive your right to view them. But you should have a gut feeling about it. I would be very wary of only sending letters from pathologists. They like to see that you have other skills sets, can succeed in other environments, etc.

MD/PhD applicant here with average to below-average Step scores (yay, grade inflation!). My contributions are below.

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19,

Illinois

University of Chicago - 9/18, 9/18,

Maryland

Massachusetts
Brigham and Women's - 9/17, 9/17,
Mass General Hospital - 9/19, 9/19,

Missouri

North Carolina
Duke University - 9/20, 9/20,

Pennsylvania

Tennessee

Virginia
UVA - 9/20

Washington
University of Washington - 9/15, 9/15,

Wisconsin

Last edited:
Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19,

Illinois

Maryland

Massachusetts
Brigham and Women's - 9/17, 9/17, 9/17,

Missouri

North Carolina

Pennsylvania

Tennessee
Vanderbilt University - 9/19, 9/20,

Virginia
UVA - 9/20

Washington

Wisconsin

If I am remembering correctly, 3 letters are required by most programs, and the max is 4. The ideal is three very strong letters, two coming from pathologists and the third from a non-pathologist. Three really strong letters are better than four so-so letters. Of course there's no way to tell for sure how strong the letters are because you're supposed to waive your right to view them. But you should have a gut feeling about it. I would be very wary of only sending letters from pathologists. They like to see that you have other skills sets, can succeed in other environments, etc.

One trick I was told and used for fellowship and job interviews was to ask your potential writer if they're willing to write you a good/excellent/insert adjective letter. Just asking for a letter might get you a "Joe was a student in my internal medical rotation. I believe he was the tall one and seemed to perform tasks adequately", or at very worse, a negative one. Asking for a good letter allows a little more leeway and if they hedge or delay, move on. It wouldn't have been a strong letter.

MD/PhD applicant here with average to below-average Step scores (yay, grade inflation!). My contributions are below.

Know that grade inflation feel, MD/PhD here as well.

Did all right on steps (230s/250s) with ~8 pubs but no first author (PI left 1.5yrs into my dissertation so had to start in new lab). Fortunately did well in clinicals, got AOA, had some good extracurricular activities.

Glad to see you got invites from BWH and MGH! I was really hoping to hear from them as well but so for nothing...

Illinois

Maryland

Massachusetts

Missouri

North Carolina

Pennsylvania

Tennessee

Utah
University of Utah - 9/20

Virginia
UVA - 9/20

Washington

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin - 9/19

First time poster , long time site visitor. MD/PhD here as well. Applied to 13 schools. Anxiously waiting.

First time poster. IMG. Step 1 240s/ Step 2 250s/ CS pass/graduated more than 10 years ago/8 publications. Applied widely.

Last edited:
Know that grade inflation feel, MD/PhD here as well.

Did all right on steps (230s/250s) with ~8 pubs but no first author (PI left 1.5yrs into my dissertation so had to start in new lab). Fortunately did well in clinicals, got AOA, had some good extracurricular activities.

Glad to see you got invites from BWH and MGH! I was really hoping to hear from them as well but so for nothing...

I bet you'll hear from them soon; it's still pretty early on in the process.

Received some interview invitations yesterday and today. It sure does take some anxiety off. I've updated the list. I think I did it right?

Orlando Health - 9/19,

Illinois

Iowa
University of Iowa - 9/21

Maryland

Massachusetts

Missouri

North Carolina

Pennsylvania

Tennessee
Vanderbilt University - 9/19, 9/20

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20

Washington

Wisconsin

Hello all. I am a DO student. I am stalling on putting my applications in... I am still waiting on one more LOR. Submit anyway? Excited people are getting interviews already!

Hi! I'm am new to this network too (basically signed up just for this and similar forums) I am a US MD, STEP1 230s, STEP 2 240s.
Hello all. I am a DO student. I am stalling on putting my applications in... I am still waiting on one more LOR. Submit anyway? Excited people are getting interviews already!
Yes submit anyways! add LOR on later :)

Received some interview invitations yesterday and today. It sure does take some anxiety off. I've updated the list. I think I did it right?

Orlando Health - 9/19,

Illinois

Iowa

Maryland

Massachusetts

Missouri

North Carolina

Pennsylvania

Tennessee

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20

Washington

Wisconsin

I know also that from Washington DC, George Washington University sent out a few interviews on September 20th

Updated (including EPP's contribution)

Orlando Health - 9/19,

Illinois

Iowa

Maryland
John Hopkins - 9/22

Massachusetts

Missouri

New York

Mount Sinai - 9/20

North Carolina

Oregon
Oregon Health Sciences University - 9/21

Pennsylvania

University of Pennsylvania - 9/21

Tennessee

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20

Washington

Washington, DC
George Washington University - 9/20

Wisconsin

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19

Illinois

University of Chicago - 9/18, 9/18

Iowa

Maryland
University of Maryland - 9/15
John Hopkins - 9/22, 9/22

Massachusetts
Brigham and Women's - 9/17, 9/17
Mass General Hospital - 9/19, 9/19

Missouri
Washington University - 9/19

New York

Mount Sinai - 9/20

North Carolina

Duke University - 9/20, 9/20

Ohio
Cleveland Clinic - 9/22

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Thomas Jefferson University - 9/16

Tennessee

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20

Washington
University of Washington - 9/15, 9/15

Washington, DC

Wisconsin

Connecticut
Hartford - 9/22

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19

Illinois

Iowa

Maryland

Massachusetts
Beth Israel (BIDMC) - 9/22

Michigan
University of Michigan - 9/22

Missouri

New York

Mount Sinai - 9/20

North Carolina

Ohio
Cleveland Clinic - 9/22

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina - 9/22

Tennessee

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20
VCU - 9/22

Washington

Washington, DC

Wisconsin

Whoops, fell behind in updating this.

Connecticut

Hartford - 9/22

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19

Illinois

Iowa
University of Iowa - 9/21, 9/21

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan
University of Michigan - 9/22, 9/22

Missouri

New York

Mount Sinai - 9/20

North Carolina

Ohio
Cleveland Clinic - 9/22, 9/22

Oregon

Pennsylvania

University of Pennsylvania - 9/21, 9/21

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20
VCU - 9/22

Washington

Washington, DC

Wisconsin

Connecticut
Hartford - 9/22

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19

Illinois

University of Chicago - 9/18, 9/18, 9/18

Iowa

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota
University of Minnesota - 9/21

Missouri

New York

Mount Sinai - 9/20
University of Buffalo - 9/23

North Carolina

Ohio
Cleveland Clinic - 9/22, 9/22, 9/23

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20
VCU - 9/22

Washington

Washington, DC

Wisconsin

also have heard from Drexel (9/23), University of Colorado (9/23) and Penn State (9/23)

Connecticut
Hartford - 9/22

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19

Illinois

Iowa

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New York

Mount Sinai - 9/20

North Carolina

Ohio

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20
VCU - 9/22

Washington

Washington, DC

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin - 9/19[/QUOTE]

That's true if you already know where you want to go, have a limited geographic area you're willing to move to, limited time/budget for interviewing, etc. Otherwise, in my opinion, if you've worked that hard and you're really competitive, why would you limit yourself to 14 programs? I know for a fact that there are more than 14 really good programs out there. But to each their own!

Thanks for the advice @alpinebrook @Mr Derp @brbEightball. In talking with the Dean of my medical school and other students who matched in recent years (who are more familiar with my CV) I was advised that I would likely get interview offers from 90+% of the programs I applied to. There are certainly more than 14 really excellent path programs, however for personal and financial reasons I have no desire to go on more than 10-12 interviews. I see no point applying to 30 programs when I have no intention of interviewing at many of them. Not trying to be overconfident here, just practical.

I have six invites so far, if I don't reach my goal of 10 by early October I may apply to some more.

Here are my updates from this week, I got behind as well with updating the list. I really like the format we are using, it makes it easy to see when schools are sending out rounds of invites!

Connecticut
Hartford - 9/22

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19

Illinois

Iowa

Maryland
John Hopkins - 9/22, 9/22, 9/23

Massachusetts
Mass General Hospital - 9/19, 9/19, 9/19

Michigan
University of Michigan - 9/22, 9/22, 9/22

Minnesota

Missouri

New York

Mount Sinai - 9/20

North Carolina

Ohio

Oregon

Pennsylvania

University of Pennsylvania - 9/21, 9/21, 9/21

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20, 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20
VCU - 9/22

Washington

Washington, DC

Wisconsin

Did you submit 4 letters to all programs? Or only to those who didn't specify the number of letters needed.

As some others already mentioned, many of the programs say they require 3 LORs but you can submit up to four through Eras. I submitted 4 to all the programs I applied to. However, since I am an MD/PhD student one letter has to come from my PhD mentor. The other three are from pathologists.

I would agree with the other posters that if you have four good letters, might as well use them!

Connecticut
Hartford - 9/22

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19

Illinois

Iowa

Louisiana
Tulane - 9/23
LSU New Orleans - 9/19

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New York

Mount Sinai - 9/20

North Carolina

Duke University - 9/20, 9/20, 9/20

Ohio

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vanderbilt University - 9/19, 9/20, 9/23

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20, 9/20, 9/21
Baylor Dallas - 9/20
UT San Antonio - 9/19

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20
VCU - 9/22

Washington

Washington, DC

Wisconsin

Would you guys be so kind as to post your Step scores with your invites? That will be a good gauge for what programs to apply to next cycle.

Thanks for the advice @alpinebrook @Mr Derp @brbEightball. In talking with the Dean of my medical school and other students who matched in recent years (who are more familiar with my CV) I was advised that I would likely get interview offers from 90+% of the programs I applied to. There are certainly more than 14 really excellent path programs, however for personal and financial reasons I have no desire to go on more than 10-12 interviews. I see no point applying to 30 programs when I have no intention of interviewing at many of them. Not trying to be overconfident here, just practical.

I have six invites so far, if I don't reach my goal of 10 by early October I may apply to some more.

Here are my updates from this week, I got behind as well with updating the list. I really like the format we are using, it makes it easy to see when schools are sending out rounds of invites!

Connecticut
Hartford - 9/22

Florida
Orlando Health - 9/19

Illinois

Iowa

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New York

Mount Sinai - 9/20

North Carolina

Ohio

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Houston Methodist - 9/20, 9/20

Utah

Virginia
UVA - 9/20, 9/20
VCU - 9/22

Washington

Washington, DC

Wisconsin

It is risky to apply to less schools. I applied for only 13 (with guidance from mentor and advisor). I am an MD/PhD and only interested in CP path programs and even more limited research areas (not cancer). Finding schools that meet this criteria easily narrowed down my list of schools I'm interested in. I even received an email (no I wont name the school) that said I was an excellent candidate but they didn't Believe I would fit well at their school when I explained that I was only interested in CP. While unusual I appreciate their honesty - and quite frankly I think they appreciate mine.

Connecticut
Hartford - 9/22

Florida
Mt. Sinai in Miami - 9/16
Orlando Health - 9/19
University of Florida - 9/26

Illinois

Iowa

Louisiana
Tulane - 9/23