2018-2019 Postdoc Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you figure out what you're going to do? Most of the sites on my list have specific requests regarding letter writers... and they varied a bit... I did some excel ninja :ninja: work to figure out from whom to request a letter for which site(s). I ended up with two internship supervisors (different rotations)... a previous prac supervisor... my doc program adviser (he can speak to diss progress and my research experience)... and a smattering of letters from my internship program director and another smattering from my doc program director. None of them are writing letters for every site.

I just submitted my first app and may or may not have freaked out a little bit. :scared: Many more cover letters to finish and apps to submit over the next few weeks.

@syzergy have you already submitted all of your apps?! DANG!

How's everyone doing?

So I wound up requesting 1) primary clinical internship supe, 2) assessment supe, and 3) dissertation chair for all my applications. There are a few for which I may ask my secondary clinical supe instead of my assessment supe, but the majority of my sites are medical setting which require components of assessment, so... I was persuaded by everyone to include my diss chair just so he can speak to my positive PhD progress and reassure that I didn't leave my program in a smoldering fire on my way out to internship. :whistle:

How is everyone coping? This is so reminiscent of the APPIC internship application process, without the structure. I appreciate not having to submit 3 essays to each site, but the sites requesting multiple work samples and case conceptualizations and details of every single assessment you've ever scored and interpreted by name and number still keep things interesting. Can anyone reassure me that eventually I won't be submitting a giant packet of supplemental materials to all my future job prospects? Do people just build portfolios that they whip out for any career changes? Actually, can someone just reassure me that someday I'll even be licensed and gainfully employed and successful? :nod: Let's start with that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I wound up requesting 1) primary clinical internship supe, 2) assessment supe, and 3) dissertation chair for all my applications. There are a few for which I may ask my secondary clinical supe instead of my assessment supe, but the majority of my sites are medical setting which require components of assessment, so... I was persuaded by everyone to include my diss chair just so he can speak to my positive PhD progress and reassure that I didn't leave my program in a smoldering fire on my way out to internship. :whistle:

How is everyone coping? This is so reminiscent of the APPIC internship application process, without the structure. I appreciate not having to submit 3 essays to each site, but the sites requesting multiple work samples and case conceptualizations and details of every single assessment you've ever scored and interpreted by name and number still keep things interesting. Can anyone reassure me that eventually I won't be submitting a giant packet of supplemental materials to all my future job prospects? Do people just build portfolios that they whip out for any career changes? Actually, can someone just reassure me that someday I'll even be licensed and gainfully employed and successful? :nod: Let's start with that.
Ugh. YES! I've submitted about half of my apps and the cover letters don't feel so burdensome at this point... it's all the supplemental stuff that varies so much for every site. Somebody say we won't have to do this forever??

If you're neuro, some jobs will want de-identified reports still. And, you still need letters of rec for some jobs. You'll still need to consistently update your CV and write cover letters. And, if you move, you'll still need to submit a bunch of stuff to a new licensing board. Hold on to some of those supplemental things.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're neuro, some jobs will want de-identified reports still. And, you still need letters of rec for some jobs. You'll still need to consistently update your CV and write cover letters. And, if you move, you'll still need to submit a bunch of stuff to a new licensing board. Hold on to some of those supplemental things.
Huh, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the tip though.
I actually don't mind the report samples so much... I'm writing those anyway and it doesn't take but a few minutes to de-identify... choosing which reports to showcase has proven to be a little bit tricky but not too bad.

I'm applying to a site that I applied to for internship. Is it okay to send them the same de-identified reports?

I'm applying to a site that I applied to for internship. Is it okay to send them the same de-identified reports?
I would think that would be fine but why not send more recent reports? I know mine have improved since last year.

The Boston VA is asking for a personal statement. Do you think it's okay to submit a cover letter instead?
I think so... as long as your cover letter provides the same information as a personal statement and they haven't specified otherwise...?

I think so... as long as your cover letter provides the same information as a personal statement and they haven't specified otherwise...?
Thanks for your help with this! They also ask that we write about the history behind our interests so I may just do a personal statement since it's slightly different.

Are we doing a thread where we post about interview notifications?

I like that idea... if we have an extremely generous volunteer?

Yeah I can do it. I ran the grad school app and the internship app threads. It's coming full circle :)

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I can do it. I ran the grad school app and the internship app threads. It's coming full circle :)
Wow, seriously full circle. Pretty sure you're just an excellent person.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, seriously full circle. Pretty sure you're just an excellent person.

OR I like to be in control and this way I can pretend to know what's happening ;)

Is there a thread for posting postdoc listings? I'm at a private practice now (in NYC) and we have an opening for next year, but we're pretty new (I'm the first "postdoc") so we're trying to figure out how to make it known. (We're already listed in APPIC's UPPD but trying to cast a wider net.) Would appreciate any ideas or advice for reaching applicants :) Thanks!

Is there a thread for posting postdoc listings? I'm at a private practice now (in NYC) and we have an opening for next year, but we're pretty new (I'm the first "postdoc") so we're trying to figure out how to make it known. (We're already listed in APPIC's UPPD but trying to cast a wider net.) Would appreciate any ideas or advice for reaching applicants :) Thanks!
I would think you could post it here... I've perused UPPD and I've seen most postdoc notifications through emails from my internship (directors and supervisors) and other supervisors/colleagues who are familiar with my interests.

I would think you could post it here... I've perused UPPD and I've seen most postdoc notifications through emails from my internship (directors and supervisors) and other supervisors/colleagues who are familiar with my interests.

Great, thanks! Well in case anyone is interested, or knows someone who might be, here is the link to our listing: Universal Psychology Postdoctoral Directory Entry

It's been a year since I've been on this site...and all my anxiety came rushing back as I'm seeing and recognizing your names on this thread!! We got through internship together so LET'S DO THIS! With that said, are we doing interview notifications (and any restrictions)?

EDIT: just kidding I spoke too soon! Just saw the other thread. Thanks for doing this!!! :)

Last edited:
It's kind of awesome that we're getting to experience this again as a cohort... Well, not the repeated trauma, but at least that we have each other. :)

It's also been great to be able to support my friends and colleagues a year below me going through APPIC. I am a non-competitive person by nature (only intra-competitive), so I only have all the love for my fellow psych peeps. :biglove:

I submitted my first app last night. It finally feels real!

Where are my neuro people? I've been Googling trying to find some past statistics about neuro post-doc match rate. I know overall it's usually "not good", but some numbers would really help me out with this anxiety. Has anyone found any information as far as things like number of total applicants and interview invites over the past years? I haven't been able to track anything down aside from total number of applicants for all post-doc positions at sites, which is really not helpful at all. Thanks in advance! What a fun time this is!

Where are my neuro people? I've been Googling trying to find some past statistics about neuro post-doc match rate. I know overall it's usually "not good", but some numbers would really help me out with this anxiety. Has anyone found any information as far as things like number of total applicants and interview invites over the past years? I haven't been able to track anything down aside from total number of applicants for all post-doc positions at sites, which is really not helpful at all. Thanks in advance! What a fun time this is!

Due to there being people who participate within the APPCN match, and many sites that do not participate in the match, there are no stats available. It's not like the internship match where everyone is in the same boat. Additionally, because some applicants will apply to both match and non-match sites, any stats that APPCN puts out would be useless without knowing the non-match numbers to help contextualize.

Due to there being people who participate within the APPCN match, and many sites that do not participate in the match, there are no stats available. It's not like the internship match where everyone is in the same boat. Additionally, because some applicants will apply to both match and non-match sites, any stats that APPCN puts out would be useless without knowing the non-match numbers to help contextualize.
That's what I was afraid of... thank you! I'll keep playing the anxious waiting game!

I'm sure these must be taken with a grain of salt, but the national matching service does post APPCN match statistics and you can find them on the national matching services APPCN site (it won't let me post a link because apparently I don't post frequently enough or something). They tell you the number of applicants who registered, withdrew, etc., and average number of sites ranked for matched vs. unmatched applicants.

I'm sure these must be taken with a grain of salt, but the national matching service does post APPCN match statistics and you can find them on the national matching services APPCN site (it won't let me post a link because apparently I don't post frequently enough or something). They tell you the number of applicants who registered, withdrew, etc., and average number of sites ranked for matched vs. unmatched applicants.
Ah, found it. Yes, I will take with a grain of salt. Looks like last year was pretty low compared to other years... Could be a fluke. Helpful though, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Ah, found it. Yes, I will take with a grain of salt. Looks like last year was pretty low compared to other years... Could be a fluke. Helpful though, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Hard to get a good handle on this as many non-match sites offer prior to the match (accounting for some of the withdrawals) and many other non-match sites will make offers after the match, so, some of those who did not match in APPCN may have indeed gotten offers after not matching. small snapshot of the overall data, with a lot of unknowns.