2018-2019 Rad Onc Ranking & Interviews Spreadsheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
For the 2018-2019 season!

Edit: Can not add in a link to SDN so please see the 2017-2018 spreadsheet for a link!

Members don't see this ad.

Can we all just please try to keep this year's spreadsheet a little less insane than last year's? Pretty please? That comment section... not fun.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the spreadsheet method of interview impressions should be tossed. Some really nasty things were said about women and even specific applicants. The “impressions” are usually a sentence or two whereas back when there were full threads we had more comprehensive impressions.

Reactions: 1 user
As a yearly reminder, if anybody has away rotation and/or interview impressions that they do not want to post as public knowledge, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to post it on your behalf.

Anyone know how many applicants there are? This would probably be the first class that would have seen the alarm bells on SDN far enough in advance for it to influence their specialty choice.

Can we all just please try to keep this year's spreadsheet a little less insane than last year's? Pretty please? That comment section... not fun.

Speaking as a faculty member from a big name institution I should point out that although SDN does a great job in protecting your identity, there are ways for people at institutions to figure out who writes what. It's not that hard for programs to connect the dots. So be professional.

Be professional=code for "don't post anything negative."

Not sure why that statement is necessary. "Be professional."

Let's hypethetically (of course) assume one is not "professional," wouldn't you want that to come out so they don't join your "big name institution?" Why the need to scare people? These are all adults in their mid twenties (at least), at professional schools. They don't need to be reminded by radiation oncologists to "be professional." What does that even mean? Don't curse? Don't talk about the PD who yells at his residents? Don't talk about scut programs? Don't talk about how miserable the residents are? Don't say anything about the terrible neighborhood? You have to be specific. Some of us aren't as smart as you guys at the "big name institutions." I think you should be honest and maintain your professionalism.

There is no need to be any more professional than you normally would, and if you are normally unprofessional, please be unprofessional, as it would make everyone's life easier (yours and the programs), so everyone knows what they're getting for the next 4 years or so. I think thats what the guy/gal from the "big name institution" meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the resident dinner, be sure to ask for sdn handles, as It should factor into your ranking.

Yes. Ask how many attendings are on sdn. This is a great surrogate for academic success, particularly at "big name institutions."

(FYI, I don't think D'mico is on sdn telling medical students to "be professional.")

So my apologies as I can see how my comments can be misconstrued. I'm not involved in the applications at all so my comments were based on my observations. So two comments I would like to make:

-I didn't say don't be critical. I said be professional. When critical comments are made i'm sure nobody seeks out the person who made them. I have seen critical comments start productive dialogues between our PD, chair, residents, and other people affiliated with the program to see how we can improve. Some of the comments last year seemed more appropriate to middle schoolers than future doctors. Next thing you know one of our residents gets curious and does a bit of digging and a rumor begins to circulate about so-and-so (whether it be true or not I don't know). Radiation oncology is a small field. Which brings me to my next point.

-I made this comment entirely to warn/protect the applicants in the next cycle. You all worked hard and deserve your best shots to get into the best programs. I wish you all the best of luck. Please post earnest critical comments we all learn alot from them. Just don't get back from a party one night and post something that you'd be embarrassed to say to someone's face.

This is a fair assessment, but it is important to realize that rumors are rumors. They should not be held against applicants. If they are, that's probably a program you don't want to be at. You do want to be at a program where, "productive dialogues" are welcome. This has been true from my experience anyway. Also realize that this is going to be a job, and you should approach it as one. You will have to work hard and that is how you will be judged. You can not work hard if you are not happy. This isn't a one size fits all. You should find a program that is suitable for you and that you think you would fit into. The internet/technology has changed the dynamics of medicine. We need to embrace that (especially radiation oncologists) and use that to our advantage, rather then turn away from it because it is unfamiliar territory. I may have rushed to judge your post, but it seemed like it was aimed at minimizing criticism, which is the greatest tool these student doctors have at this juncture in their application.

So my apologies as I can see how my comments can be misconstrued. I'm not involved in the applications at all so my comments were based on my observations. So two comments I would like to make:

-I didn't say don't be critical. I said be professional. When critical comments are made i'm sure nobody seeks out the person who made them. I have seen critical comments start productive dialogues between our PD, chair, residents, and other people affiliated with the program to see how we can improve. Some of the comments last year seemed more appropriate to middle schoolers than future doctors. Next thing you know one of our residents gets curious and does a bit of digging and a rumor begins to circulate about so-and-so (whether it be true or not I don't know). Radiation oncology is a small field. Which brings me to my next point.

-I made this comment entirely to warn/protect the applicants in the next cycle. You all worked hard and deserve your best shots to get into the best programs. I wish you all the best of luck. Please post earnest critical comments we all learn alot from them. Just don't get back from a party one night and post something that you'd be embarrassed to say to someone's face.

Even if there is no effort to identify individual applicants as authors of such posts, I do fear that comments like last year’s can cast a cloud of unfair suspicion over the applicants in general. When people write things like that, it’s hard not to wonder, at least a little, whether any of the seemingly friendly and professional applicants you met are, secretly but really, the sort who would write such comments. I don’t think such suspicions are fair but I do think they’re human nature, so I would just echo the pleas to keep things at least reasonably professional. That said, honest criticisms are certainly appropriate and helpful, and I agree one should avoid any program that seems to have a problem with them.

This is a fair assessment, but it is important to realize that rumors are rumors. They should not be held against applicants. If they are, that's probably a program you don't want to be at. You do want to be at a program where, "productive dialogues" are welcome. This has been true from my experience anyway. Also realize that this is going to be a job, and you should approach it as one. You will have to work hard and that is how you will be judged. You can not work hard if you are not happy. This isn't a one size fits all. You should find a program that is suitable for you and that you think you would fit into. The internet/technology has changed the dynamics of medicine. We need to embrace that (especially radiation oncologists) and use that to our advantage, rather then turn away from it because it is unfamiliar territory. I may have rushed to judge your post, but it seemed like it was aimed at minimizing criticism, which is the greatest tool these student doctors have at this juncture in their application.

I don't think there's anything controversial about saying "Don't be a dick online just because you can due to the anonymous nature" - the whole nonsense about dissecting Harvard's rank list and people discussing which of the folks who matched at Harvard were not wanted or least wanted (like by individuals' names) was the dumbest thing I'd ever read on the internet and really a disgrace. If I knew of whoever started that whole discussion I'd honestly not want them in the field.

Let's try to avoid dumb **** like that this year. Otherwise, I thought other stuff was fine - some random fight the patriarchy vs mgtow stuff in the comments, but that's the usual for the internet these days.

Reactions: 3 users
I am trying to access the sheet but it won't let me..any reason why this started to happen suddenly? Thank you!

Speaking as a faculty member from a big name institution I should point out that although SDN does a great job in protecting your identity, there are ways for people at institutions to figure out who writes what. It's not that hard for programs to connect the dots. So be professional.

Speaking as a student from a no Name DO school I should point out that although SDN does a great job in protecting your identity, there are ways for applicants at schools to figure out who writes what and it’s not hard for applicants to connect the dots. So be professional.

Speaking as a student from a no Name DO school I should point out that although SDN does a great job in protecting your identity, there are ways for applicants at schools to figure out who writes what and it’s not hard for applicants to connect the dots.

Thanks. I needed the laugh