2018 ASTRO whole breast radiation guidelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burt Radnolds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"These guidelines are intended as a tool to promote appropriately individualized, shared decision-making between physicians and patients. None
should be construed as strict or superseding the appropriately informed and considered judgments of individual physicians and patients; therefore, the
task force recommends against any quality benchmarks requiring 100% utilization of HF-WBI, even in patients where recommendations for HF-WBI
are strong because the distribution of reasonable patient values and preferences would be expected to yield a patient-centered choice for
conventionally fractionated WBI in a certain proportion of individual patients.
"

Hypofrac it all. Look forward to insurers only covering 16 fractions for whole breast now, and having to argue for boost.

Universal boosting is not helpful, given the classic published evidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
"These guidelines are intended as a tool to promote appropriately individualized, shared decision-making between physicians and patients. None
should be construed as strict or superseding the appropriately informed and considered judgments of individual physicians and patients; therefore, the
task force recommends against any quality benchmarks requiring 100% utilization of HF-WBI, even in patients where recommendations for HF-WBI
are strong because the distribution of reasonable patient values and preferences would be expected to yield a patient-centered choice for
conventionally fractionated WBI in a certain proportion of individual patients.
"

Hypofrac it all. Look forward to insurers only covering 16 fractions for whole breast now, and having to argue for boost.

Hilarious they put that in, knowing full well what would happen regardless. I expected them to be more cautious about chemo, not dcis

Prostate is next. Can't wait

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if the task force also recommends hypofractionating the expansion of residency programs and spots?

Reactions: 3 users
I am sure everyone thinks I am beating a dead horse, but this is something I am obviously quite passionate about. Where I practice, while larger hospital based centers follow guidelines, a lot of the freestanding clinics do almost no hypofractionation, and per national surveys, adoption of hypofractionation for obvious financial reasons has lagged nationally. There really is room here for contraction of xrt demand when insurances force the issue.

Don't worry, the expansion in residency programs is necessitated by the impending explosion in bone met palliation volume, which will need to be handled by a concomitant increase in volume of fellowship-trained rad oncs. Good thing we are putting that pipeline in place now.

I am sure everyone thinks I am beating a dead horse, but this is something I am obviously quite passionate about. Where I practice, while larger hospital based centers follow guidelines, a lot of the freestanding clinics do almost no hypofractionation, and per national surveys, adoption of hypofractionation for obvious financial reasons has lagged nationally. There really is room here for contraction of xrt demand when insurances force the issue.

I believe you but I don't understand how this continues to be the case. I work with a mostly non-affluent and below average educated population and even after their 5 minute "breast cancer radiation" google search they are well aware that their treatment should be 3-4 weeks. Even if that weren't the case, I'm sure the medical oncologists and surgeons would call me out if I routinely treated women with early stage breast cancer with 5-7 weeks of radiation.

Breast hypofractionation is clearly well supported in the literature with long-term follow-up so I certainly do not disagree with ASTRO publishing these guidelines (especially if there are still centers that routinely refuse to accept hypofractionation) but it just blows my mind that they don't do more to address the oversupply of residents right when they are publishing guidelines that (correctly) advocate for decreasing the number of treatments for the most common thing we do by over 33-50% treatments per patient.

Reactions: 1 users
Hilarious they put that in, knowing full well what would happen regardless. I expected them to be more cautious about chemo, not dcis

Prostate is next. Can't wait

Why should they be more cautious with chemo? What earthly explanation do you have for that comment? Sincerely asking. Since every trial (Whelan, START A/B, MDACC) included chemo, it’s unclear to me what in the world you’re talking about.

Maybe published studies should also consider what the effect will be on the job market, and not concern themselves with, uh, you know, benefit to patients.

Why should they be more cautious with chemo? What earthly explanation do you have for that comment? Sincerely asking. Since every trial (Whelan, START A/B, MDACC) included chemo, it’s unclear to me what in the world you’re talking about.

Maybe published studies should also consider what the effect will be on the job market, and not concern themselves with, uh, you know, benefit to patients.

Or maybe the IRB should be like, “Sounds like a great study ... but ya know, if it’s positive, you’re really gonna put a hurtin’ on the poor community doc making $550k a year... let’s pass on this. Got something with more fractions or IMRT being better than 3D?”

They likely included some dcis too in some of those trials, but let's be honest, neither included significant numbers if either, yet dcis is treated as a "conditional" recommendation while chemo is not. There is plenty of single institution data to support it in dcis.

Are the chemo numbers big enough to support it? Was everyone getting concurrent herceptin back during start and the whelan study?

They likely included some dcis too in some of those trials, but let's be honest, neither included significant numbers if either, yet dcis is treated as a "conditional" recommendation while chemo is not. There is plenty of single institution data to support it in dcis.

Are the chemo numbers big enough to support it? Was everyone getting concurrent herceptin back during start and the whelan study?

True. Let’s do all the studies over again. We are killing women. Left and right. (But mostly left).

Ok so you can't explain why they decided to treat dcis and chemo differently.

Please feel free to go back to b***hing about the job market

You said “I would expected them to be more cautious about chemo.” Who said anything about DCIS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Need a chemo trial. Need a DCIS trial. Need a Herceptin trial. Any other trials to suggest? There are a lot of academics, they can help out!
Yes, data is generally nice when coming up with recommendations and guidelines.

Or we could extrapolate all chemotherapy from a trial that included a subset of people getting CMF in the 90s I guess

Hint: dcis hasn't changed since the 90s

Last edited:

What exactly are you ranting and raving about here?

Maybe academics can focus on looking into improving oncologic outcomes by sticking radiation into more areas (Like Gomez et al Oligoprogressive trial for NSCLC) rather than just trying to hypofrac everything under the sun (hypofrac breast, more intensive hypofrac of breast (7Gy x 5 or whatever that recent IJROBP paper was), hypofrac breast/CW w/ RNI, hypofrac prostate, prostate SBRT, single fraction lung SBRT) with no improvements in oncologic outcomes.

What exactly are you ranting and raving about here?

Maybe academics can focus on looking into improving oncologic outcomes by sticking radiation into more areas (Like Gomez et al Oligoprogressive trial for NSCLC) rather than just trying to hypofrac everything under the sun (hypofrac breast, more intensive hypofrac of breast (7Gy x 5 or whatever that recent IJROBP paper was), hypofrac breast/CW w/ RNI, hypofrac prostate, prostate SBRT, single fraction lung SBRT) with no improvements in oncologic outcomes.

Sure. And they should.

But is reducing costs while not worsening outcome a valuable clinical goal? Is reducing patient inconvenience not a valuable outcome? Is increasing time spent working or with family instead of driving to treatment not a valuable outcome?

Main point is, something really absurd about HF and chemo was said. I think we can all acknowledge that.

(I think your post was more of a rant and rave, jus’ sayin’)

Main point is, something really absurd about HF and chemo was said. I think we can all acknowledge that.

(I think your post was more of a rant and rave, jus’ sayin’)

Again, you misread the post by medgator. He was remarking that he expected the consensus percentage to be lower in chemotherapy than in DCIS, given that published data for HF in DCIS is generally more voluminous than HF in chemotherapy patients. Given previous discussion, I don't think anybody realistically expected that prior use of chemotherapy was going to remain as a way to not have to offer HF (the way it was in the 2011 guidelines).

Regarding your second line, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I look forward to seeing whether patients are going to get brachial plexopathy with hypofracing breast and regional nodal areas. Of course we won't know about that until it's widely in practice for 5 years given the fraction shaming we all do.

Again, you misread the post by medgator. He was remarking that he expected the consensus percentage to be lower in chemotherapy than in DCIS, given that published data for HF in DCIS is generally more voluminous than HF in chemotherapy patients. Given previous discussion, I don't think anybody realistically expected that prior use of chemotherapy was going to remain as a way to not have to offer HF (the way it was in the 2011 guidelines).

Regarding your second line, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I look forward to seeing whether patients are going to get brachial plexopathy with hypofracing breast and regional nodal areas. Of course we won't know about that until it's widely in practice for 5 years given the fraction shaming we all do.

None of the large trials included DCIS, and a small trial from MDACC did. All of the trials included chemotherapy.

Chinese trial and phase II trial treated nodes with no concerns about brachial plexopathy at 3-4 years. It presents earlier than that. Do people even see ASTRO plenaries or just ignore them?

If you trend back, the same person felt DCIS shouldn’t be treated with HF, despite “voluminous” data. Not sure if data is the issue when revenue loss is concerned.

None of the large trials included DCIS, and a small trial from MDACC did. All of the trials included chemotherapy.

Chinese trial and phase II trial treated nodes with no concerns about brachial plexopathy at 3-4 years. It presents earlier than that. Do people even see ASTRO plenaries or just ignore them?

If you trend back, the same person felt DCIS shouldn’t be treated with HF, despite “voluminous” data. Not sure if data is the issue when revenue loss is concerned.

It’s just funny when people use ASTRO guidelines to choose convention fx, but when the guidelines change, they complain about the new guidelines.

:corny:

Whole breast hypofractionation is a slam dunk. It is equally efficacious, less toxic, more cost effective, and less burdensome to patients. The data is compelling and there isn't a sniff of increased toxicity or worse outcomes compared to conventional fractionation in any situation.

I have lots of problems with lots of things in our specialty, but these guidelines are perfect.

:corny:

Whole breast hypofractionation is a slam dunk. It is equally efficacious, less toxic, more cost effective, and less burdensome to patients. The data is compelling and there isn't a sniff of increased toxicity or worse outcomes compared to conventional fractionation in any situation.

I have lots of problems with lots of things in our specialty, but these guidelines are perfect.

SHUT UP! YOU’RE NOT TOEING THE COMPANY LINE! YOU’LL SPAY THE GOLDEN GOOSE!

It’s just funny when people use ASTRO guidelines to choose convention fx, but when the guidelines change, they complain about the new guidelines.
You mean the guidelines that gave a "conditional recommendation" to hypo-fx DCIS despite the fact that DCIS is pre-malignant and is the exact same thing it was 20+ years ago in those trials, but a "strong recommendation" to hypo-fx patients based on data for chemo that no one uses anymore?

Yeah it is quite funny, isn't it?

Should we start looking at data that used mustard gas too? When was the last time you treated a patient that got CMF?

Brachial plexopathy can present up to 5 to 10 years out from radiation treatment, so I'm not sure where this hard cut-off of "lol 3-4 years without BP means it's not gonna happen". Please take a look at the old studies on plexopathy in breast cancer that publish ranges from as early as 6 months to 20+ years out. For the record, I don't think it's going to happen, and I imagine within 10 years we'll be having the same argument about regional nodal irradiation with hypofractionation as we are now about whole breast.

But keep up the antics, MDACCRules, we (as a forum) apparently needed a replacement for Damn_Daniel at some point.

Regardless, whole breast gets hypofrac now. They even removed the heterogeneity range requirements.

Regardless, whole breast gets hypofrac now. They even removed the heterogeneity range requirements.

Yup.... I am still nervous in younger triple-negative patients getting adria, but if/when I get a deposition (no academic-style soverign immunity for us PP folks), I'll have the comfort of those ASTRO guidelines when I walk in.

Last edited:
The data is compelling and there isn't a sniff of increased toxicity or worse outcomes compared to conventional fractionation in any situation.
Welllllllllllll.... not exactly. But, the transition to ~2.65 Gy per day from <=2 Gy per day seems OK cancer-wise and even side-effects wise (w/ caveats). But hypofractionation via the use of >3 Gy a day has been shown to have more side effects. Is this an all-or-nothing situation (ie is toxicity not different from 1.8 Gy all the way to 3 Gy), or is toxicity a continuum? Everything I know about radiobiology suggests the latter versus the former. But the word on high has been given. All hail the word on high. Nevermind that Whelan's and START A/B don't meet the non-inferiority trial "guidelines" (read their stats sections) for late side effects as sample sizes have always been calc'd so as not to miss a local control difference. To detect small differences in late side effects in a non-inferiority trial would have taken more patients. Thus another unpopular but perniciously skeptical way of viewing the "hypofractionation guidelines" based on Whelan/START B is: we don't have solid non-inferiority statistical evidence that the side effects of new treatments are not worse than old ones, but the manifestly good economic/logistical effects and non-inferiority of cancer outcomes mean we should ignore the small possibility of worse side effects. I don't have boobs so I guess I'm OK with this.

Would someone mind offering a clarifying bit of info. Last time I saw Whelan et al, the grade 3 patients had a LR of 15.6% with hypofx as compared to 4.7% with standard fx (p=0.01). While this was post-hoc analysis, it was still concerning to me, and radiobiologically would make sense as a higher grade tumor theoretically would have higher alpha/beta and that would be a tumor for which hypofractionation coupled with attendant total dose-lowering would be infaust.

And yet...

The guidelines say: "The decision to offer HF-WBI should be independent of tumor grade. Recommendation strength: Strong. Quality of evidence: High. Consensus: 100%."

Why? Wouldn't there be a tiny pause for concern here for grade? Seems a little absolutist, scientifically.

Last edited:
I can not recall formal ASTRO guidelines re: fractionations, doses, etc. pre-2000. "Guidelinemania" is a relatively recent rad onc affectation. Guidelines can be cudgels which, if not used by our colleagues, certainly can be used that way by the insurance companies or the government. Guidelines in radiation oncology right now are en vogue not because they are a boon to patient care in the traditional sense IMHO. Re: the breast guidelines, e.g., we can not convincingly say that in using hypofx cancer outcomes are better (they're not worse) or side effects are better (again, they seem not worse). So what is the motive for publishing guidelines then. We aren't harming (via toxicity or oncologically) patients by using the standard treatment that has been in place for decades (in America). I am left with nothing but linear quadratic mathematics and my own biases, and now mildly shade-throwing guidelines, in thinking that 45/25 would be less side-effecty than 42.5/16. But economically and logistically the hypofractionation treatments hold promise, so that alone seems to be motivation enough to come out and trumpet a guideline. And plus too, it's breast... I must've missed the ASTRO guideline for hypofractionating Stage I/II smoking-associated glottic cancers but maybe they'll get around to it one day. In the meantime, if you want to hypofractionate glottic CA, I guess you have to read some studies and employ your own *gasp* clinical judgment.

Ordinarily in medicine it takes a lot of evidence to OVERTURN a standard treatment. We haven't overturned standard fractionation in breast. In my opinion, doctors should feel free to use either approach liberally and without shame or fear of criticism. The world of medicine is tough enough; I don't think we benefit too much from guideline publications, at least not in the way we do them now. (Look at guidelines from the AANS: they have a whole different tenor and are non-proscriptive in the extreme.) I'm saying that one might look at the START data showing some worse late side effects in some situations, and Whelan's data where high-grade tumors did worse in LC, and say standardly fractionated whole breast XRT is a darn good treatment.

I'm saying that one might look at the START data showing some worse late side effects in some situations, and Whelan's data where high-grade tumors did worse in LC, and say standardly fractionated whole breast XRT is a darn good treatment.
One might, but then immediately, he/she would be "fraction-shamed" and called out for being a "greedy" PP'er from the bitter self-loathing peanut gallery that seems to enjoy trolling the SDN RO forum

Last edited:
I'm saying that one might look at the START data showing some worse late side effects in some situations, and Whelan's data where high-grade tumors did worse in LC, and say standardly fractionated whole breast XRT is a darn good treatment.

In START A/B, much much larger more inclusive trial(s) than Whelan, late cosmesis is actually statistically better with hypofractionation. Not sure where you came up with the idea some late toxicity outcomes we're worse, the forest plot is quite strikingly in favor of hypofractionation in that aspect.

Also START had 1272 high grade patients alone (entire Whelan trial itself all comers was ~600) and showed a HR for local control of 0.86 (not SS) in high grade patients in favor of hypofractionation. I concur that the quality of this evidence is high.

No interest here in shaming anyone. Im in private practice myself and the whole landscape of things terrifies me at times. I just don't use conventional fractionation in whole breast because my in depth evaluation of the data well prior to these guidelines pointed me in that direction. I have a couple patients currently getting 1.8gy a day to the prostate and perhaps someone would skewer me on that, but I don't care. As long as deep down I feel that I'm fulfilling my duty to my patients, thats all that matters.

As long as deep down I feel that I'm fulfilling my duty to my patients, thats all that matters.
Totally with you there. But, again, I believe in the spirit of intellectual honesty you have to look at the late effects data from START (shoulder data, yes of course they were expressly looking at ENI there but sometimes we glance the axilla with WBI etc etc) and Whelan's trial re: gr3 worse LC and say that your statement of "The data is compelling and there isn't a sniff of increased toxicity or worse outcomes compared to conventional fractionation in any situation" is not 100% true. Or is false. Either one. And in that same spirit of honesty I do not think we can make the case that standard fx has been overturned even w/ START's good cosmesis data.

As I mentioned START A/B was not a late effects non-inferiority trial, and some of the START late toxicity data showed a 50% reduction in late effects even though 39/3 is only 7% less BED-Gy3 than 50/25; surprising to me at the time and still is. It was only 39/3 that showed this decrease in late effects, 41.6/13 didn't really and 40/15 (START B) late effects data were a bit less detailed but still showed a decrease in breast swelling vs 50/25. The Whelan data is interesting in several areas to compare/contrast with START because they have slightly different outcomes in different arenas; e.g., START even showed better met-free survival vs 50/25 at p=0.02 but not better LC. This positive oncologic effect wasn't seen in START's other fractionation schemes. Whelan et al. have never showed a trend toward better oncologic outcomes with hypofx. I know of no one in America who's using START fractionation schemes; do you? At the end of the day, START and Whelan are phenomenal trials, worthy of praise, but not able to convincingly unseat standard fractionation, especially in my mind since I'm a 45/25 guy with standard fx and a boost (but use 42.4/16 in about ~66% of whole breast last time I checked). (On the basis of START's ENI data, I will never use hypofx if giving ENI.) You could even be a partial breast XRT guy almost exclusively with recent UK IMPORT data. We should be discussing this amongst ourselves, and leave docs free to do as they wish untrammeled by the peer pressure of a GUIDELINE which, again IMHO, offers no convincing patient care improvements except in terms of gas money and personal time. You can try to convince me it does, but I've actually thought about this a lot, so please don't think less of me if I don't think exactly as you do.

Would someone mind offering a clarifying bit of info. Last time I saw Whelan et al, the grade 3 patients had a LR of 15.6% with hypofx as compared to 4.7% with standard fx (p=0.01). While this was post-hoc analysis, it was still concerning to me, and radiobiologically would make sense as a higher grade tumor theoretically would have higher alpha/beta and that would be a tumor for which hypofractionation coupled with attendant total dose-lowering would be infaust.

And yet...

The guidelines say: "The decision to offer HF-WBI should be independent of tumor grade. Recommendation strength: Strong. Quality of evidence: High. Consensus: 100%."

Why? Wouldn't there be a tiny pause for concern here for grade? Seems a little absolutist, scientifically.

They did another analysis with central path review and tumor grade was no longer predictive.

Tumor factors predictive of response to hypofractionated radiotherapy in a randomized trial following breast conserving therapy. - PubMed - NCBI

Reactions: 2 users
If we're so worried about patient costs, then the obvious answer is to have all patients treated at freestanding, non-hospital-affiliated facilities, where costs are 2-5x lower. Insurance data shared with the large national organization with which we partner demonstrated, for example, that our practice costs were precisely 5x lower than the closest NIH-designated cancer center with identical recurrence and survival rates. It's the right thing for both patients and society at large, then, correct? Where's the shame directed towards academics for their blatant waste of resources?

I find "2x-5x" stuff hard to believe with respect to RadOnc. All 28fx bone met IMRT cases I've seen came out of free-standing, non-integrated RadOnc centers.

If we're so worried about patient costs, then the obvious answer is to have all patients treated at freestanding, non-hospital-affiliated facilities, where costs are 2-5x lower. Insurance data shared with the large national organization with which we partner demonstrated, for example, that our practice costs were precisely 5x lower than the closest NIH-designated cancer center with identical recurrence and survival rates. It's the right thing for both patients and society at large, then, correct? Where's the shame directed towards academics for their blatant waste of resources?

"They" being Whelan/the Canadian group?

Yes. Click the link. The tale of less efficacy for high grade tumors is effectively debunked, many years ago.

It's a balance. It's cheaper to treat at free-standing centers, and to make up for the lower reimbursement, just add more fractions. NBD!

Have seen a community EOT of bilateral DCIS being treated sequentially. The lady came in for 13 weeks. 50.4/28 to a brain met IMRT, instead of SRS/SRT. Ay yay yay!

Yes, Whelan's group.
The big difference in LC seen at 10 years they published in NEJM in 2010 vanished with 12 years' data they published in 2014. Neat. I can click on the link but can't get full text to see how they explain that in their discussion section. But, my fears are assuaged and I can now discount all the previous data from their previous reports. Or, as MDACCRules might say... My fears are assuaged and I can now discount all the previous data from their previous reports! Ay yay yay!

"Insurance data shared with the large national organization with which we partner demonstrated, for example, that our practice costs were precisely 5x lower than the closest NIH-designated cancer center with identical recurrence and survival rates."

Is this data available to the public. I always thought it interesting that this somehow this hasn't made it into a journal. Where are the med student projects on cost and convenience of getting to "academic" centers and the way they bill medicare/insurance? Seems like a pretty easy way to get into JCO if any med students are reading (although you want get any interviews once they see your application).

I find "2x-5x" stuff hard to believe with respect to RadOnc. All 28fx bone met IMRT cases I've seen came out of free-standing, non-integrated RadOnc centers.

That may be true for other practices, but I've been hypofractionating nearly all my breast cases for 2 years and treat bone mets to 30 in 10, so for my practice at least the numbers are 100% accurate, that I can assure you. It came directly from insurance cost data.

"Insurance data shared with the large national organization with which we partner demonstrated, for example, that our practice costs were precisely 5x lower than the closest NIH-designated cancer center with identical recurrence and survival rates."

Is this data available to the public. I always thought it interesting that this somehow this hasn't made it into a journal. Where are the med student projects on cost and convenience of getting to "academic" centers and the way they bill medicare/insurance? Seems like a pretty easy way to get into JCO if any med students are reading (although you want get any interviews once they see your application).
Actual reimbursement rates paid to insurance companies are typically hidden by nondiscloure agreements at large centers.

The data is proprietary to the insurance company and not available to the public, unfortunately. It needs to be known how excessively expensive hospital-based radiation is, but APMs with case-based reimbursement might help solve the problem for us, as long as site-based payment parity is included.

If ASTRO continues to argue against site-based payment parity they will continue to have no moral ground to stand upon when it comes to the debate about cost.

Reactions: 2 users
If ASTRO continues to argue against site-based payment parity they will continue to have no moral ground to stand upon when it comes to the debate about cost.
On another note, it seems their hair being on fire about Urorad type stuff has sort of gone away?

On another note, it seems their hair being on fire about Urorad type stuff has sort of gone away?
They finally figured out that ship sailed a decade later than everyone else, it seems.

Magically, I expect they'll even come around to bundle-payments once payors are ready to shove it down everyone's throats (and given the current lack of freestanding vs hospital/academic reimbursement parity, I fully support it).

You think negative data against NIH/NCI centers is going to make it in to the JCO? :laugh:

No but if I can convince 1 med student then I have accomplished my goal. Interestingly JNCI published an article like 4-6 years ago about how patients discussed at a tumor board did not have better survival than those that did not get discussed, stage for stage.

Do you have a link? That sounds pretty cool.

No but if I can convince 1 med student then I have accomplished my goal. Interestingly JNCI published an article like 4-6 years ago about how patients discussed at a tumor board did not have better survival than those that did not get discussed, stage for stage.

Yes. Click the link. The tale of less efficacy for high grade tumors is effectively debunked, many years ago.

It's a balance. It's cheaper to treat at free-standing centers, and to make up for the lower reimbursement, just add more fractions. NBD!

Have seen a community EOT of bilateral DCIS being treated sequentially. The lady came in for 13 weeks. 50.4/28 to a brain met IMRT, instead of SRS/SRT. Ay yay yay!

Anecdotes are just that, anecdotes. You can take what happens in that one private practice place you know and generalize it to the entirety of the private practice world, if you really want. #NotAllPrivatePractices. Same argument could be made for the standard practice in academics (protons for prostate off protocol) that is completely against the "cost-effectiveness" line that is so frequently thrown out.

The big difference in LC seen at 10 years they published in NEJM in 2010 vanished with 12 years' data they published in 2014. Neat. I can click on the link but can't get full text to see how they explain that in their discussion section. But, my fears are assuaged and I can now discount all the previous data from their previous reports. Or, as MDACCRules might say... My fears are assuaged and I can now discount all the previous data from their previous reports! Ay yay yay!

It was a centralized path review, with a difference in how tumors were graded (not the way it was commonly done) that resolved the discrepancy.

I refer you to Dr. Mutter's answer here: theMednet - Login

Regardless, this thread is in extreme danger of going even further off the rails. I expect that personal attacks and denigrations of your colleagues not within the same practice model as you to stop, or there will start to be warnings and thread bans.

Unfortunately, we seem to be the only field in medicine that loves to self-cannibalize as much as we do, at least in a public forum like this. Continues to disappoint about this field the amount of vitriol some are willing to have to our own colleagues, not for really problematic stuff (like not covering the right areas resulting in increased recurrences or deaths), but for relatively small stuff.