2018ers...Where are you applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemEngMD

No need to hide behind private profiles
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What up everybody?

I thought I'd get the 2013-2014 cycle party started on here since AMCAS will be opening up in less than a month. I was just wondering on where people were planning on applying? I've been wrestling with the subject a lot lately and wanted to know where fellow URMs are planning on trying. (I'm really not trying to go to Missouri and be 1 of 6 URMs in a class so I'm looking for schools with strong URM matriculant numbers personally)

What are yall thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm applying this cycle as well. I honestly just want an acceptance in a nice area. I don't mind the few URMs in a class because that's literally been my entire undergrad career, and will most likely be representative of my colleagues if I got into academic medicine. But I can understand where your coming from, I grew up in an urban area so the transition has taken a while to get used to.

Hi! I'm applying this cycle as well. I honestly just want an acceptance in a nice area. I don't mind the few URMs in a class because that's literally been my entire undergrad career, and will most likely be representative of my colleagues if I got into academic medicine. But I can understand where your coming from, I grew up in an urban area so the transition has taken a while to get used to.

I feel you. I am actually the opposite haha, grew up being one of a handful of minorities in my school and now that I have a choice I'm trying to not go back haha. I see that you're in NC as well...carolina top of your list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you. I am actually the opposite haha, grew up being one of a handful of minorities in my school and now that I have a choice I'm trying to not go back haha. I see that you're in NC as well...carolina top of your list?

That's actually where I am now as an undergrad, I love it here but I don't think I want to be here for whole lot longer. Its a personal choice, its a beautiful school and I like their program.. but I would like to leave NC since I was born and raised here and haven't had the opportunity to travel much. Given all of that, lol, I still am going to apply. I think it would be stupid not to since I've made few connects since I've been here. And given my stats, I don't have much room to be picky. Hbu?

That's actually where I am now as an undergrad, I love it here but I don't think I want to be here for whole lot longer. Its a personal choice, its a beautiful school and I like their program.. but I would like to leave NC since I was born and raised here and haven't had the opportunity to travel much. Given all of that, lol, I still am going to apply. I think it would be stupid not to since I've made few connects since I've been here. And given my stats, I don't have much room to be picky. Hbu?

I feel you. I'm down the road in Raleigh getting my masters. I have only been to chapel hill a few times, it seems cool, but screams college town. It's at the top of my list for a few reasons, but first and foremost being the in-state tuition and it being ranked top 25 research and top 5 primary care...if they let me in it's gonna be hard to say no...I'm not too keen on heading out in the direction of ECU though haha but I'm planning on applying to ~20 schools depending on how this MCAT at the end of May goes eeek...have you taken yours?

I feel you. I'm down the road in Raleigh getting my masters. I have only been to chapel hill a few times, it seems cool, but screams college town. It's at the top of my list for a few reasons, but first and foremost being the in-state tuition and it being ranked top 25 research and top 5 primary care...if they let me in it's gonna be hard to say no...I'm not too keen on heading out in the direction of ECU though haha but I'm planning on applying to ~20 schools depending on how this MCAT at the end of May goes eeek...have you taken yours?

May 30th is dooms day for me lol. I want to apply broadly, but I'm starting to doubt my chances unless a miracle happens on 5/30.

Applying this coming cycle as well. :) So far my list consists of my state schools (VA) and some reaches/dream schools. I am currently looking for some OOS mid-tiers and low-tiers that fit my interests.

As for Chapel Hill, I would love to go there but I hear they're not really OOS friendly :(

Applying this coming cycle as well. :) So far my list consists of my state schools (VA) and some reaches/dream schools. I am currently looking for some OOS mid-tiers and low-tiers that fit my interests.

As for Chapel Hill, I would love to go there but I hear they're not really OOS friendly :(
Hey,

I looked at your MDapps, since your in NOVA why not apply to some DC schools Howard, GWU, Georgetown, and since your interested in Baltimore, why not UMD too? Think it will round out your list a bit more.

Hey,

I looked at your MDapps, since your in NOVA why not apply to some DC schools Howard, GWU, Georgetown, and since your interested in Baltimore, why not UMD too? Think it will round out your list a bit more.

I don't know why I didn't think to do that. I've pretty much just been jumping around in the MSAR. I am definitely going to look into all the schools you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't know why I didn't think to do that. I've pretty much just been jumping around in the MSAR. I am definitely going to look into all the schools you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions!
Great! Good luck with the MCAT!

I have heard Chapel Hill is very difficult to get in if you're OOS. I met a guy at SNMA who had gotten into multiple ivies but didn't get into Carolina so Idunno...

Thanks! Lord knows I am worried about it.

When are you taking it? Mine is on the 23rd of May ahhhh

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard Chapel Hill is very difficult to get in if you're OOS. I met a guy at SNMA who had gotten into multiple ivies but didn't get into Carolina so Idunno...

When are you taking it? Mine is on the 23rd of May ahhhh

Yeah, I've heard great things about them so that sucks. After I get my MCAT score I'll make the decision on whether or not I'll try my hand with UNC as an OOS applicant.

And I just recently registered for the June 20th test so I suppose I'll be a little late this application cycle. Haha What a brave soul! Are you ready?? That is fast approaching..

Yeah, I've heard great things about them so that sucks. After I get my MCAT score I'll make the decision on whether or not I'll try my hand with UNC as an OOS applicant.

And I just recently registered for the June 20th test so I suppose I'll be a little late this application cycle. Haha What a brave soul! Are you ready?? That is fast approaching..

Define "ready"? lol I have pushed my test twice (was supposed to take march then april now i'm on may). I am finally getting to the end of my material review and am seeing promise...I can score above a 30 now but it's really unbalanced (my bio/orgo need work). Sooo hopefully by April 23 I'll be done material review then just tests for a month...I gotta score high to offset my undergrad GPA a little bit

A few DOs, Chapel Hill, ECU, Wake Forest.

Define "ready"? lol I have pushed my test twice (was supposed to take march then april now i'm on may). I am finally getting to the end of my material review and am seeing promise...I can score above a 30 now but it's really unbalanced (my bio/orgo need work). Sooo hopefully by April 23 I'll be done material review then just tests for a month...I gotta score high to offset my undergrad GPA a little bit

Well you sound more ready than I am at the moment. Haha. I've pretty much only done a diagnostic exam and a little content review in my free time. But that sounds like a good plan. And yes, that is my hope as well. Good luck!

Not 2018 but I'm also a 'Lina grad so wanted to show love lol!

Hello. I want to represent my home state NY. I'll be applying to schools in NY, New England, and Pennsly.

Hello. I want to represent my home state NY. I'll be applying to schools in NY, New England, and Pennsly.

I'm with you man...I'm originally from the Northeast too

in NY I am thinking about:
AECOM
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
SUNY Downstate
NYMC

In New England I am thinking about:
Harvard
Tufts
BU
Dartmouth

In PA I'm thinking:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

Where were you planning on applying?

Hey All,

I'm applying to all MD and DO Schools in California.

OOS list so far(it's growing):
Iowa
Michigan
UNLV
Morehouse

I would love to stay in California, but we will see.

Coming out my lurking layer to post since our app season is coming up!
I'm applying to all the California MD schools (in-state) except Loma Linda
All of the MD schools in the Chicago area since I have family there
Morehouse
Howard
Meharry
Both Arizona campuses & a few odds and ends here and there

All MD CA schools + Western COMP (resident)

Harvard, UPenn, Hopkins (OOS major reaches)

Pretty much every OOS private school.

I'm hoping for an East Coast school for personal reasons, but anywhere that will take me!

Hey All,

I'm applying to all MD and DO Schools in California.

OOS list so far(it's growing):
Iowa
Michigan
UNLV
Morehouse

I would love to stay in California, but we will see.

Coming out my lurking layer to post since our app season is coming up!
I'm applying to all the California MD schools (in-state) except Loma Linda
All of the MD schools in the Chicago area since I have family there
Morehouse
Howard
Meharry
Both Arizona campuses & a few odds and ends here and there

Alright! We're doing it big this year. Glad to see more people ready for the cycle! Let's take over :claps: the more of us in med school the better

How many schools are you guys planning on applying to?

Trying to figure out how many I can afford to apply to haha. I am currently thinking 20 (~5 reaches, all state schools, ~10 OOS mid/low tiers)? After I take the MCAT/receive my score I will determine how confident I feel about the upcoming cycle and adjust that number.

Trying to figure out how many I can afford to apply to haha. I am currently thinking 20 (~5 reaches, all state schools, ~10 OOS mid/low tiers)? After I take the MCAT/receive my score I will determine how confident I feel about the upcoming cycle and adjust that number.

I'm trying to figure this out as well! My situation is complicated because I really really want to go into either academic medicine or healthcare management/policy and also do as much research on the side as possible. Overall, I'm interested in surgery but after years of that I can see myself working at a teaching hospital, teaching a medical school class or doing research.

So because of that, I really want to go to a top 20 school but my application is borderline of whether I have a chance. I have awesome extracurricular's/life experience it's my 3.7 GPA that I'm afraid will hold me back. I'm studying ferociously for the mcat and hoping I can pull a 35+ but trying to pull 35+ is a crapshoot lol not guaranteed at all.

So I want to apply to ~30+ so that 15 will be top schools but another 15 to balance it out so that I'm not applying too top heavy, but I know that's sooo many schools.

I'm freaking out!!! :scared: lol

Ohhh and I heard Boston U has a lot of URMs in their class, so that's another good school to consider applying to!

I'm trying to figure this out as well! My situation is complicated because I really really want to go into either academic medicine or healthcare management/policy and also do as much research on the side as possible. Overall, I'm interested in surgery but after years of that I can see myself working at a teaching hospital, teaching a medical school class or doing research.

So because of that, I really want to go to a top 20 school but my application is borderline of whether I have a chance. I have awesome extracurricular's/life experience it's my 3.7 GPA that I'm afraid will hold me back. I'm studying ferociously for the mcat and hoping I can pull a 35+ but trying to pull 35+ is a crapshoot lol not guaranteed at all.

So I want to apply to ~30+ so that 15 will be top schools but another 15 to balance it out so that I'm not applying too top heavy, but I know that's sooo many schools.

I'm freaking out!!! :scared: lol

Chill!!!! You're in great shape :) seriously...I would kill for your GPA haha

https://www.aamc.org/download/321520/data/2012factstable25-5.pdf

^^you ever seen this?

If you break 30 on that MCAT you are in a super elite category of URM applicants...just looking at the people with 3.6+ GPA and 30+ MCAT there were only 1845 of us over a 3 year period...with 1677 getting in (91%)...if you get above a 33 then you are looking at only 835 applicants over 3 years with 784 getting

That means that each year there are only about 278 URM applicants with 3.6+ GPA and 33+ MCAT...you can rest assured that this is more than enough for the top 20 schools (plus state schools that recruit hard and have lower tuition) to basically FIGHT over the top URM students...throw in the fact that you have strong ECs and you're looking at being really competitive at a top 20

Just chilllll and beat the hell out of that MCAT :) and if you break 30 you'll be in great shape, break 33 and you're a shoe in for a top 20 and break 36 and you'll be among the top 100 URM applicants which TRUST me will have schools fighting over you if you apply intelligently with a strong well-rounded app :D

And maybe the amount of URM applications will be low this year and us with lower GPAs will have a chance haha

Reactions: 1 user

Yo you in a NPHC group? I was just looking at your MDapps and it says you're in a sorority

Slightly related:
I'm excited about all the minorities applying to medical school. As healthcare reform rolls out, it will be crucial for patients to have a diverse workforce to make people of various cultures feel more comfortable when seeking/seeing a physician.

I'm planning on 25 schools, but man these secondary fees are killing me. I kind of want to downsize, but it's probably not in my best interest. Didn't qualify for FAP, so this is all out of pocket. :cry: I saw someone's mdapp recently that mentioned getting airline credit card. Has anyone thought about doing this?

I'm planning on 25 schools, but man these secondary fees are killing me. I kind of want to downsize, but it's probably not in my best interest. Didn't qualify for FAP, so this is all out of pocket. :cry: I saw someone's mdapp recently that mentioned getting airline credit card. Has anyone thought about doing this?

I definitely am going to get a credit card before I submit my primaries...there are some that if you spend 1000 or 3000 or w/e dollars in the first 3 months then you get all these points for travel...I figure I'm probably going to drop that in primary and secondary fees alone so might as well take advantage...but I've never had a credit card before so this is a learning curve for me :laugh:

^^you ever seen this?

If you break 30 on that MCAT you are in a super elite category of URM applicants...just looking at the people with 3.6+ GPA and 30+ MCAT there were only 1845 of us over a 3 year period...with 1677 getting in (91%)...if you get above a 33 then you are looking at only 835 applicants over 3 years with 784 getting

That means that each year there are only about 278 URM applicants with 3.6+ GPA and 33+ MCAT...you can rest assured that this is more than enough for the top 20 schools (plus state schools that recruit hard and have lower tuition) to basically FIGHT over the top URM students...throw in the fact that you have strong ECs and you're looking at being really competitive at a top 20

Just chilllll and beat the hell out of that MCAT :) and if you break 30 you'll be in great shape, break 33 and you're a shoe in for a top 20 and break 36 and you'll be among the top 100 URM applicants which TRUST me will have schools fighting over you if you apply intelligently with a strong well-rounded app :D

And maybe the amount of URM applications will be low this year and us with lower GPAs will have a chance haha

Wowww I've looked at that table before but I never broke it down and saw things like that. I definitely feel better, thank you :)

^^you ever seen this?

This table give me LIFE lol. And I second the comment about GPA. What are you worried about??? I would kill for your GPA! My school typically produces students that get in with less than average GPAs but my GPA is still much less than I would like. :( I typically do quite well on standardized tests so I have my fingers crossed for the MCAT...

This table give me LIFE lol. And I second the comment about GPA. What are you worried about??? I would kill for your GPA! My school typically produces students that get in with less than average GPAs but my GPA is still much less than I would like. :( I typically do quite well on standardized tests so I have my fingers crossed for the MCAT...

I knowwwww I guess it's just that type A personality coming out; it's hard to not freak out once in a while when you see all these amazing applicants on SDN lol

Btw I looked at your MDApps as well and I just wanted to say that you have some awesome extracurricular's going for you! Keep it up :)

I knowwwww I guess it's just that type A personality coming out; it's hard to not freak out once in a while when you see all these amazing applicants on SDN lol

Btw I looked at your MDApps as well and I just wanted to say that you have some awesome extracurricular's going for you! Keep it up :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. SDN manages to be discouraging and encouraging at the same time. For instance, I find the WAMC threads extremely helpful but you would not catch me starting my own. They rip people to shreds!

And thanks!! That is going to be my one pride and joy on my application. Haha

Any body started working on their personal statement? I thought I had a pretty solid draft but I sent it to somebody on SDN to read and they tore it apart haha so I'm back to the drawing board and can't get anything together..ughh

Any body started working on their personal statement? I thought I had a pretty solid draft but I sent it to somebody on SDN to read and they tore it apart haha so I'm back to the drawing board and can't get anything together..ughh

I started mine and I have been drafting for some time now. I am currently waiting for feedback from the pre-health office. I have a feeling they are ripping it to shreds at this very moment lol. We will see. It's crazy, we will be able to start inputting things into AMCAS so soon.

I definitely am going to get a credit card before I submit my primaries...there are some that if you spend 1000 or 3000 or w/e dollars in the first 3 months then you get all these points for travel...I figure I'm probably going to drop that in primary and secondary fees alone so might as well take advantage...but I've never had a credit card before so this is a learning curve for me :laugh:

Hmmm....I'm considering this credit card more and more. I have pretty good credit, so I'm super curious about how much credit they would give me. The air miles versus points don't seem to be much for southwestern, but maybe it'll pay off one flight, if I'm lucky and get to travel all over.

Will you be consigning with parents? I've been hearing it's been difficult to get credit cards lately.

As for my personal statement, I'm on probably my 11th draft. Though, some drafts don't differ much from each other. I just wanted to keep track of important portions. I have to admit that I've been a little neurotic lately, and it might be one of those work on a project until the due date and send whatever I have type of deals. :laugh:

Hmmm....I'm considering this credit card more and more. I have pretty good credit, so I'm super curious about how much credit they would give me. The air miles versus points don't seem to be much for southwestern, but maybe it'll pay off one flight, if I'm lucky and get to travel all over.

Will you be consigning with parents? I've been hearing it's been difficult to get credit cards lately.

I'm concerned about this as well. I really just want to put all my expenses on a credit card, it really would make things easier and I think I could pay it off in a reasonable time. I have a credit card in my name for about 2 years now with my dad as a cosigner. I don't have bad credit, I just don't know if I have enough for them to let me spend $4,000 on it when my limit has always been $800

Has anyone considered the option of taking out a private loan and whether it's a good idea compared to a credit card?

I'm in the final stages of editing.. Thank God. I've been working on it for months, due to many drafts, and school/MCAT/etc. I also am a poor writer so I had to dig really deep, but I'm satisfied with the product. I'm still getting a bunch of ppl to look over it up until its time to submit.

Hey if anyone wants advice on credit cards PM me, I am pretty well versed in the what and how to's I have almost all the prime lenders American Express, Discover, Chase, NFCU, NASAFCU. But for some general advice, if you guys are expecting to get a card with great airline miles rewards and have little to no credit history and/or little to no income it is not going to happen. Seriously. Prime lenders offer great miles but it is selective and if you have a thin file you will like not get an approval. Start your credit history early, but start it smart. Like I said PM me if you have specific questions I'd be glad to help!

On my phone so excuse any errors