2019-2020 Applicant: Advice in choosing correct post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppathopeful2019

Reaction score
Hello,
I graduated in 2016 from an accredited university with a B.Sc. in Finance & Accounting with a cGPA of 3.6 while interning every semester at various companies. Then, worked at an energy start-up for a year. Decided to quit my job 6 months ago to gain clinical experiences. And since, I've been scribing a plastic surgeon, shadowing a family practice physician and a developmental pediatrician, and volunteering at a hospice care center.

During my freshmen year (2011-2012) as an undecided major, I took a year of bio and chem, and a semester of physics. I did horrible at it. Had a sGPA of around 3.0. Then, I decided to pursue Finance and managed to graduate with a 3.6. And during the past 6 months, I also took the MCAT and got 504. I'll retake the MCAT in Jan 2019 after I decide on which post-bacc I am pursuing.

I know I'll need to do a post-bacc but I don't know if I should do a career-changer post bacc or an SMP post bacc. My pros and cons of both are below:

Career-changer post bacc:
pros:
  • redo pre-requisite science classes which I had taken in my freshmen year and finish organic chemistry
  • If I do well in all the science classes, my cGPA should improve very slightly to like 3.63 because I already have 120 credits from my undergraduate degree.
  • But my sGPA should move from 3.0 to lets say 3.7-3.9 (Is this correct? Do my old grades get replaced with new grades?)
  • I'll drop my organic chemistry and physics class which I've registered for this summer because I'll be retaking it in career-changer post bacc.
cons:
  • is this considered an easy way out? will med schools look at my application and say I could've done a Masters in Biomedical studies and taken more difficult science classes?
SMP Post-bacc:
pros:

• Lets say, I finish organic chemistry this summer, and start a masters in biomedical sciences this fall
  • This means, my sGPA would still be around 3.1 but I can say my masters GPA where I took harder classes would be 3.6.
cons:
  • masters program is really expensive
  • Is it really necessary for me?
Please advice me on choosing the appropriate post-bacc program. I am really confused and frustrated at this point. Would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. I really don't want to wait one more year to apply.

Thanks a lot!!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in 2016 from an accredited university with a B.Sc. in Finance & Accounting with a cGPA of 3.6 while interning every semester at various companies. Then, worked at an energy start-up for a year. Decided to quit my job 6 months ago to gain clinical experiences. And since, I've been scribing a plastic surgeon, shadowing a family practice physician and a developmental pediatrician, and volunteering at a hospice care center.

During my freshmen year (2011-2012) as an undecided major, I took a year of bio and chem, and a semester of physics. I did horrible at it. Had a sGPA of around 3.0. Then, I decided to pursue Finance and managed to graduate with a 3.6. And during the past 6 months, I also took the MCAT and got 504. I'll retake the MCAT in Jan 2019 after I decide on which post-bacc I am pursuing.

I know I'll need to do a post-bacc but I don't know if I should do a career-changer post bacc or an SMP post bacc. My pros and cons of both are below:

Career-changer post bacc:
pros:
  • redo pre-requisite science classes which I had taken in my freshmen year and finish organic chemistry
  • If I do well in all the science classes, my cGPA should improve very slightly to like 3.63 because I already have 120 credits from my undergraduate degree.
  • But my sGPA should move from 3.0 to lets say 3.7-3.9 (Is this correct? Do my old grades get replaced with new grades?)
Grades do NOT get replaced. Rather, the most recent grades get weighted more. The key is showing the you of now is not the you of then, and that you you can handle med school.

• I'll drop my organic chemistry and physics class which I've registered for this summer because I'll be retaking it in career-changer post bacc.
cons:
  • is this considered an easy way out? will med schools look at my application and say I could've done a Masters in Biomedical studies and taken more difficult science classes?
Adcoms do NOT think like this!!!

SMP Post-bacc:
pros:

• Lets say, I finish organic chemistry this summer, and start a masters in biomedical sciences this fall
  • This means, my sGPA would still be around 3.1 but I can say my masters GPA where I took harder classes would be 3.6.
cons:
  • masters program is really expensive
  • Is it really necessary for me?
As you have noted, there are pluses and minuses to each. I prefer SMP even though it's more high risk/high reward, because it's a backdoor to the med school hosting it.

Read this:

Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Goro, this helps.

And just in case, I don't get accepted into an SMP, is it worth waiting 6 months or a year to apply again to get accepted into an SMP program (which means, I most likely won't be able to apply next year as I won't have enough grades to show med schools that I've been receiving good grades)?

Or if I get accepted into a career-changer post bacc, I should just go with it and try to get as high grades possible?

Appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro's already answered your original question effectively. I have a separate question, and perhaps it's obvious and I'm just missing it, but can I ask why you're planning on retaking the MCAT in January 2019? Biochemistry is extremely helpful for the MCAT, and if you're applying for matriculation in 2020 there's hardly a rush to take it in January. Assuming you do well in your coursework, your biggest obstacle will be a weak MCAT score. You definitely want to make sure to maximize your performance on your retake and not need to do it thrice!

I am in no rush to take it. And Jan 2019 is not a definite date. I just thought I'd get winter break in between, and will get some time to focus and take practice exams for that month. I won't take it unless I am fully prepared for it. I thought I was prepared when I took it the first time, but I know I need to improve CARS and Psych/Soc so I'll focus on that more. And this time, I def. want to get it right leaving no chance for a re-take again.

Reactions: 1 user
What state do you live in? Are you willing to re locate for post bacc or masters?