Need advice on managing DIY post bacc while working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y.l080992

Reaction score
I know this question may have been explored in other posts but would appreciate some advice on my unique situation.

I am currently working full time in Canada in business and due to financial situations I won't be able to quit my job to do full time post bacc. Currently I'm just "collecting courses" from two school, a local university in Canada and online programs at UCLA Extension. Plus I'm also volunteering at a local clinic and at a Medical First Responder Program (similar to EMT). I do have some concerns which I would appreciate advices on:

1. I'm trying to work around my schedule so I can apply in 2025. I was wondering how many online classes do med school admissions committee deem as "acceptable"? and what about online labs?
2. Do I need to finish the majority of prereqs before I apply?
3. Due to the timing of the classes I feel I might need to drop the EMT program, I'm already seeing some potential conflicts with class times, EMT meetings and so on. Is it "worth it" to drop the EMT experience so I can complete more classes faster?

Appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this question may have been explored in other posts but would appreciate some advice on my unique situation.

I am currently working full time in Canada in business and due to financial situations I won't be able to quit my job to do full time post bacc. Currently I'm just "collecting courses" from two school, a local university in Canada and online programs at UCLA Extension. Plus I'm also volunteering at a local clinic and at a Medical First Responder Program (similar to EMT). I do have some concerns which I would appreciate advices on:

1. I'm trying to work around my schedule so I can apply in 2025. I was wondering how many online classes do med school admissions committee deem as "acceptable"? and what about online labs?
2. Do I need to finish the majority of prereqs before I apply?
3. Due to the timing of the classes I feel I might need to drop the EMT program, I'm already seeing some potential conflicts with class times, EMT meetings and so on. Is it "worth it" to drop the EMT experience so I can complete more classes faster?

Appreciate the help!
This is a pretty standard situation, I myself am working while taking night classes, and most of my postbacc classmates are doing the same. Most medical schools will list the answers to these questions on their "Requirements" pages, so I would recommend taking a look at any that you are interested in applying to to get a sense for what is expected.

1. From what I understand (as a fellow non-trad postbacc), there is no required # of classes, as long as you finish all your prereqs. Online labs are generally not accepted unless they were during the height of the pandemic, and even then I have heard from others that they needed to re-take in person. My program requires us to take a certain number, but that is based on the specific coursework we have yet to complete to fulfill prereqs.

2. You need to show that you will have finished all of your pre-reqs by the time you would matriculate. I would imagine that having multiple unfinished at the time of application would be a red flag, but can't speak to that directly.

I can't weigh in on #3 specifically, but I'm sure others on this forum can help you answer that.