2019-2020 MD/PhD applicants, how's everyone feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VioletAdventuring

51 kDa, 2[4Fe-4S], 1.4 Å resolution
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends! How are you feeling at this point in the cycle? Excited, nervous, sad, stressed, hyped? Feel free to share. No judgement, at least not on my end.

Personally, I alternate between nervous and excited on the daily. It's so hard to focus on research right now!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
#1 - I love Violet Chachki, so A+ icon
#2 - I'm pretty daaaaang stressed, but also excited. I have a handful of interview invites and while I know I'm very fortunate to have them and they are great institutions, I can't help but be a bit disappointed at this stage/hope for more. Regardless, I'm trying to do my best in my interviews. But yes, it is REALLLLLLLY hard to focus on research. Sending good vibes!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Going back and forth between stressed and excited. I've had a couple Rs from top programs and that's it.
My worry is that I've been working for a med device startup for the past 4ish years and haven't been extensively focused on basic science research (just some R&D and regulatory clearance work), and I really have no idea how admissions people will see that experience.

Good luck to everyone!

#1 - I love Violet Chachki, so A+ icon

Yassss! I'm rewatching all the seasons of drag race rn and I am LIVING for it. Pretty sure it's the only thing keeping me sane throughout this cycle.

Just coasting. No Rs or IIs yet.

Sending you all my good vibes! That must be frustrating as heck.

My worry is that I've been working for a med device startup for the past 4ish years and haven't been extensively focused on basic science research (just some R&D and regulatory clearance work), and I really have no idea how admissions people will see that experience.

But dude, your job sounds bombass! That sucks if schools don't see how valuable that experience is.

Reactions: 1 users
Yassss! I'm rewatching all the seasons of drag race rn and I am LIVING for it. Pretty sure it's the only thing keeping me sane throughout this cycle.

Sending you all my good vibes! That must be frustrating as heck.

But dude, your job sounds bombass! That sucks if schools don't see how valuable that experience is.

Well, you sound like a bombass human! Thanks for the positivity!

Had some love with some early II's, but now the R's are slowly rolling in. Stressed and anxious, but trying not to think about that til all my current II's have been attended. Just hoping for some more luck in the rest of the cycle.

Had some love with some early II's, but now the R's are slowly rolling in. Stressed and anxious, but trying not to think about that til all my current II's have been attended. Just hoping for some more luck in the rest of the cycle.

Similar situation. I am extremely grateful for getting a handful of early interviews, but its been rejections and silence since then. Just trying to stay occupied until positive news rolls in!

Similar situation. I am extremely grateful for getting a handful of early interviews, but its been rejections and silence since then. Just trying to stay occupied until positive news rolls in!

I'm eating my troubles away (see: my spike in pho intake post rejections). But I think we might be on hold for re-review for schools, so I have hope!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Feeling very fortunate to be getting interviews at some of my top choice programs, but I'm also terrified I'm not performing as well as I need to in order to be accepted--with a LizzyM of 70, I feel like I need to be perfect in person to "merit" an acceptance. I don't think any of my interview performances thus far have been good enough, which is scary, but maybe I'm just being overly harsh on myself... (time will tell!)

Feeling very fortunate to be getting interviews at some of my top choice programs, but I'm also terrified I'm not performing as well as I need to in order to be accepted--with a LizzyM of 70, I feel like I need to be perfect in person to "merit" an acceptance. I don't think any of my interview performances thus far have been good enough, which is scary, but maybe I'm just being overly harsh on myself... (time will tell!)

@NatGeoLover I have about the same LizzyM and not getting much at all... do you have a lot of pubs? I still have hope but wondering how much it will help if I get a pub out ASAP.

@NatGeoLover I have about the same LizzyM and not getting much at all... do you have a lot of pubs? I still have hope but wondering how much it will help if I get a pub out ASAP.
I actually don't have any publications! Which has come up more than once in MD-PhD interviews... :')

I think the breadth (I've done human and animal work and worked in wet labs and clinical settings) and depth (3 years + 2 summers in undergrad and 2 full years post-grad) of my research is what has stuck out to adcoms so far! Or, at least, that seems to be the best part of my research from my own perspective

Anyone else had an interview trip where they fell in love with the school and felt really good about like 5 of their 6 interviews and then had one that didn’t feel like you did as well? I really enjoy getting to meet a lot of faculty and get a better feel of how I’d fit into a department, but sometimes I feel like it’s a real challenge to have 6 or 8 perfect interviews in a row over two days...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I'm an MD/PhD reapplicant with 9 interviews so far!! I'm super stressed right now but so grateful! If you don't have interviews yet, don't give up hope yet--a lot of schools send out IIs in November!! Also, if you end up having to reapply, take it as a gift!! These two years since I first applied have been the best thing that could have ever happened to me and I grew so much!

It's the lucky year of the tardigrade!! Good luck, everyone!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else had an interview trip where they fell in love with the school and felt really good about like 5 of their 6 interviews and then had one that didn’t feel like you did as well? I really enjoy getting to meet a lot of faculty and get a better feel of how I’d fit into a department, but sometimes I feel like it’s a real challenge to have 6 or 8 perfect interviews in a row over two days...

I haven't had that experience yet personally, but a couple of my friends that are current students had similar experiences at schools they ended up being accepted to. The great thing about us having multiple interviews at a single school is it's more forgiving if one doesn't go quite right! I'm sure you're good.

• Love
soo I accidentally applied MD/PhD at 2 schools and then got an interview for one and should hear back soon... and I'm nervous bc I'm wholly unqualified

soo I accidentally applied MD/PhD at 2 schools and then got an interview for one and should hear back soon... and I'm nervous bc I'm wholly unqualified
The fact that you got an interview for one (so far) means you are qualified! The interview will just let the school see how well you fit with the faculty and students! Good luck :)

I just got full accepted to Northwestern today so I couldn't be more ecstatic :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
You accidentally wrote 2 extra essays on your primary and possibly extra secondary materials? Congratulations either way, I agree that schools would not have invited if they didn't think you were qualified. What would you do if accepted?

@NatGeoLover @limeyguydr Guys I'm loving your rainbow signatures. Mind if I do something similar with mine? I feel like my profile doesn't sufficiently promote the gay agenda yet.

• Haha
You accidentally wrote 2 extra essays on your primary and possibly extra secondary materials? Congratulations either way, I agree that schools would not have invited if they didn't think you were qualified. What would you do if accepted?
Something of the like - one of the schools sent me their regular MD secondary but when I showed up for the interview, they were like “ooo look our special md/PhD applicant for the day” and I was like “wut”

anyways, it’s an awesome opportunity and I’d highly consider it

getting pretty nervous. Still waiting to hear back from all my top choice schools, including my dream school. Is it true that most invites have already gone out?

getting pretty nervous. Still waiting to hear back from all my top choice schools, including my dream school. Is it true that most invites have already gone out?

I think it really depends on the school! I'm pretty sure some schools are wrapping up with IIs, but others (from what I've seen, this would include Illinois, MUSC, Drexel, etc) are just starting to send out invites. So don't lose hope just because some (likely a minority of) schools are wrapping up!

You must reflect now as to how competitive you are... If your academic benchmarks are at national averages and you only applied to top 15 schools, there is a disconnnect. If your research experiences are less than 1000 or 1500 hours, it will be difficult unless your academic numbers and LORs are terrific.

There is time to still add more schools as many programs have Nov. 1 deadlines. PM me if you want me to discuss your circumstances privately...

Thankful and extremely excited for my II but worried that the well has run dry...been sitting in silence for a month now.

Thankful and extremely excited for my II but worried that the well has run dry...been sitting in silence for a month now.

Similar boat...no IIs and a few Rs. I think I have competitive stats, good letters, and solid experience so I have to believe there's still quite a bit of time left.
I'm just trying to keep my head up and not worry too much! You're definitely not alone.

Similar boat...no IIs and a few Rs. I think I have competitive stats, good letters, and solid experience so I have to believe there's still quite a bit of time left.
I'm just trying to keep my head up and not worry too much! You're definitely not alone.
Thanks for your kind words. Like you said, our applications will speak for themselves. You've got this!!

The title of this Nature Communications article is "Early career setback and future career impact". I think it should give some hope to everyone on this thread.

Last edited:
bump for this thread - any other thoughts now that it's been a few weeks?

Feeling better now that I'm sitting on a few IIs, including one from from my top choice. Crossing my fingers I get to turn them into As. It wouldn't be the first time I've had IIs and 0 As though...

I'm getting a little more nervous each week. I've been very fortunate to get interviews at programs I'm super excited by, but it's still nerve-wracking that most programs won't release the majority of decisions until Jan/Feb/Mar. I feel like I'm in limbo

On a related note, at what point is a letter of continued interest appropriate? There is a program I interviewed at about a month ago that I want to send one to with some updates, and I am curious when people think the best timing might be. (This program won't release most of its decisions until February.) Thanks in advance!

@NatGeoLover .... Relax. You should be fine with 13 interviews that have led to 2 MD Acceptances as of now. How many of those II were MD/PhD? Enjoy the journey.
Thank you, Fencer! I know I'm being neurotic, and I apologize (I'm trying to work on that!); it's just tough not knowing about any of the MD/PhD programs yet. 9 of my IIs are MD/PhD and I have had a lot of fun on all of them so far, even with the stress at certain points. But, having gone on several interviews, I think I have found the one that I like the most and I want to let them know that! But I'll hold off on that letter so I don't go overboard :)

Now to play the waiting game and invest more time in other hobbies (easier said than done)!

I have one more interview left this Friday. Even though I am waiting to hear anything back from 9 schools, I applied very early and I don't really expect another invitation.

I am grateful for what I have so far, but I certainly won't feel comfortable until that first acceptance...

Echoing the sentiments above...it's a little nerve-wracking waiting to hear back from programs without an A in hand. I'm fortunate to have a few more interviews left to attend at this point, so prepping for those is leaving me feeling like I have some tiny morsel of control in this process still

Also anxiously awaiting on some acceptances (hopefully!)

Anyone have advice on how you stay positive and keep your mind off of applications/constantly checking email and portals?

Also anxiously awaiting on some acceptances (hopefully!)

Anyone have advice on how you stay positive and keep your mind off of applications/constantly checking email and portals?
tbh I'm doing exactly the same, but when I can separate from the computer, I usually go to the gym or read a good book. Being in a research job doesn't help since I'm always crunching numbers and SDN is only a click away. Since I'm in a gap year, I've planned a bunch of things to do to enjoy the only time in my 20's that I'll be out of school.

I'd say make a goal or two and meet them! Might as well get a couple things checked off the bucket list since it'll be a decade or so before we can do that again. I did an Ironman triathlon this Fall, so that training definitely kept my mind off of applications, but after that I was glued back to the portals and screen lol

Daaang that’s awesome, congrats on the Ironman triathalon! I’m in the same boat re: gap year in a research job, so I’ll definitely try doing some bucket list items with my remaining school-free time!

People I am freaking out and I don't know if I will hear back for more II and I've only had three. Please help calm my nerves and yes I have posted about this elsewhere I just need an outlet because I think all of my loved ones are about to snap on me

People I am freaking out and I don't know if I will hear back for more II and I've only had three. Please help calm my nerves and yes I have posted about this elsewhere I just need an outlet because I think all of my loved ones are about to snap on me
You already have an acceptance at U Michigan. If that doesn’t calm you down, I don’t know what will.

You may have only had three, but one of them has (already!!!!) turned into an acceptance! If nothing else happens between now and June, you will get to train to be a physician-scientist at an incredible university that many would LOVE to go to. I understand how it might still feel stressful, but if you already have an acceptance to ANY MD/PhD program (let alone where you were accepted) you are killing it! Take solace in the fact that you’re a rockstar and don’t worry about this crazy process anymore

You already have an acceptance at U Michigan. If that doesn’t calm you down, I don’t know what will.
Its really hard because I am applying with my SO (he is applying to PhD programs) so I want more options so that he doesn't feel like U of M is his only option. May be selfish on my part, but its causing a lot of anxiety.

You may have only had three, but one of them has (already!!!!) turned into an acceptance! If nothing else happens between now and June, you will get to train to be a physician-scientist at an incredible university that many would LOVE to go to. I understand how it might still feel stressful, but if you already have an acceptance to ANY MD/PhD program (let alone where you were accepted) you are killing it! Take solace in the fact that you’re a rockstar and don’t worry about this crazy process anymore
You all are so supportive im gonna cry :'(

• Love
Ahhh so I was home sick today (shivering, coughing, the works..) and feeling pretty miserable but then I think I got a call that I was accepted by a program!! To be honest, I'm a bit scared that I was hallucinating or dreaming so now I am waiting for some sort of confirmation. Any idea how to verify you were accepted without coming across as paranoid? I need all the help I can get! :confused:

Reactions: 4 users