2019-2020 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
2. Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)
3. Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)
4. What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician? (1000 characters)
5. Were you employed during the time you were enrolled in your undergraduate studies? (if so, selection of hours per week, and for how long)
6. Have you ever been involved in an institutional action related to academic dishonesty/integrity? Been convicted of a crime, or pleaded guilty and been placed on probation, court supervision or another reconviction program for an incident other than a minor traffic ticket?
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Rush University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck to all! Please let us know when you get the secondaries.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know that Rush is very heavy on volunteering. Do they look mostly at hours completed or the length of your experiences? Also, what is considered strong volunteering experiences at Rush? 1000+ volunteering hours may be considered strong at other schools but I am not sure if it is for Rush considering the majority of people applying to rush are nontrads. Anyone has any idea?

Reactions: 1 user
I know that Rush is very heavy on volunteering. Do they look mostly at hours completed or the length of your experiences? Also, what is considered strong volunteering experiences at Rush? 1000+ volunteering hours may be considered strong at other schools but I am not sure if it is for Rush considering the majority of people applying to rush are nontrads. Anyone has any idea?

1000+ hours of volunteering is a lot. If you have that much you should be fine anywhere

Does anyone know approximately how many applicants are sent secondaries?

Last edited:
Does anyone know approximately how many applicants are sent secondaries?

They send secondaries to anyone above a 503 (90% sure its 503) and above a 3.0 I am pretty sure. I went to the info session last year and that's what I remember. After that, a real human will review your application holistically, per them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get secondary yet?? I think normally they are released starting July 1

@PapaGuava

Prompts:

1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
2. Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)
3. Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)
4. What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician? (1000 characters)
5. Were you employed during the time you were enrolled in your undergraduate studies? (if so, selection of hours per week, and for how long)
6. Have you ever been involved in an institutional action related to academic dishonesty/integrity? Been convicted of a crime, or pleaded guilty and been placed on probation, court supervision or another reconviction program for an incident other than a minor traffic ticket?

Reactions: 3 users
If you submitted a letter packet, do you still have to follow the guidelines listed for those submitting individual letters (i.e. academic, professional, personal)? Trying to figure out if I need to get a personal letter since I don't have one in my letter packet.

I haven't gotten one yet. I'm well above the cutoffs and have over a thousand volunteer hours. I'm hoping they're just sending these in batches.

Secondary received and submitted!

Secondary received and submitted 7/12, and I received a complete email within minutes of submitting!

Secondary received and submitted 7/12, and I received a complete email within minutes of submitting!
Every time you post something your profile pic makes me feel like you're mocking me

Reactions: 1 users
Why are these prompts so annoying

Does anyone know if they screen applicants? And if they are 110% sure, what are those requirements???

Does anyone know if they screen applicants? And if they are 110% sure, what are those requirements???

This is what it says on MSAR

"Secondary application invitations will be extended to those qualified applicants after initial review of the primary AMCAS application." Not sure about specific requirements though.

This is what it says on MSAR

"Secondary application invitations will be extended to those qualified applicants after initial review of the primary AMCAS application." Not sure about specific requirements though.
Thank you Jappa!

Just received secondary, OOS so excited as this is one of my top choices.

Secondary OOS received 8am today, thought I got screened, lol

Trying to explain why I don’t have a committee letter when my school offers one... struggling here... really just didn’t trust a panel of random profs writing about my preparedness for medical school. Anyone else???

+4

900-1000 net volunteering and >2500 working in the clinic FWIW

Secondary received OOS 7/12 and submitted 7/14!