2019-2020 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (1200 words)

Please discuss a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 words)

An additional section for MD-PhD applicants to list pubs, presentations, and abstracts.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Vanderbilt University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Really want to apply here but not sure if I am competitive enough. Anyone knows if I might have a chance here given my stats? My ecs are strong.

Really want to apply here but not sure if I am competitive enough. Anyone knows if I might have a chance here given my stats? My ecs are strong.

You never know unless you try. Nobody here can tell you if you have a chance, especially without knowing your whole application. Even then, we are not adcoms.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You never know unless you try. Nobody here can tell you if you have a chance, especially without knowing your whole application. Even then, we are not adcoms.

Haha, true. You’re right tho that I will never know if I don’t try. I know they have a rather holistic screening process so I might luck out. Thanks

Ugh I haven’t written this one yet and it sounds like I might have to this week

I think you got a chance, it's always how to tell how schools look at SMPs, but I think its worth a shot with your stats. Best of Luck!

Also could someone post the prompts?
I spoke to the dean of admissions at the SAAHP conference on May 29th and she said that the secondary will have the autobiography prompt.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I received the MSTP secondary here today:

Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (1200 words)

Please discuss a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 words)

An additional section for MD-PhD applicants to list pubs, presentations, and abstracts.

Same as last year so hooray for everyone else who prewrote! @PapaGuava

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone having issues with payment?

For anyone who has not yet received a secondary, keep your hopes up obvi, however be aware that they prescreen:

"After this first screening, the most competitive applicants are offered an opportunity to submit a Vanderbilt-specific secondary application and are under consideration to be invited to come to campus for a personal interview. We anticipate that secondary invitations will be sent out starting mid-July, 2019. Approximately two-thirds of the applicants will be offered the secondary application. "

Ugh. I paid and it showed up on my CC statement but the app says I haven't.

I'll email them.
If you wanna make a GoFund me, I am sure we can each contribute 25 cents to get you your Vandy fee back lol

Serious note - that is unfortunate that they sent out an unprepared application and I am sorry for the intern who is presently being fired. I am sure they will resolve the issue for you.

Too many apps simultaneously. My bad lol

so 7/9/2019 is just a day to release unprepared secondary applications. I see how it bee.

Dude I feel that, got like 5 all in one sitting. I hope I didn't copy and paste the wrong school names in the essay writing process.

Reactions: 1 users
Not for me... the system is still saying I didn't pay and I still have proof that I did.
Same here, issue not yet resolved.

I got this as a response a few years ago. So, presumably, they are still working on it?

I got a response saying that the IT department fixed the problem, yet my payment status is still blank. Did anyone's get fixed?

It can, and should be, adapted for Stanford/Knight Hennessy's "Connect the Dots" essay.
True that. My vandy essay was the basis of my KH Connect the dots. Took out all of the self loathing and stupid stuff I did and put a positive spin on it, but otherwise...yah

After emailing them Christina was able to manually update my application to "paid" and I was able to submit. Are others having similar success?