2019-2020 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still did not work for me.

Try this.

Members don't see this ad.

Vandy is another example, like Duke, of a low yield school that forces applicants to make what economists call an "idiosyncratic investment", an investment that is highly specific and not fungible. In this case, the autobiography is not reusable in other medical school applications. To do it well, an applicant, if he or she hasn't spent time on it previously, will have to dedicate a solid work week (40 hours) to do it well.

Vandy is a very good medical school and the students there love it, especially for its focus on wellness and work/life balance. However it does not have a lot of money. While it gives out some merit aid, its financial aid is pretty paltry. And while they are in a city, they are challenged in attracting the very best students from the coasts, many of whom don't like Vanderbilt's and Nashville's "southern-ness."

They're looking in the autobiography (and other parts of the application) for full pay students who will find their southern-ness a feature, not a bug,

One saving grace about spending time on the autobiography. It can, and should be, adapted for Stanford/Knight Hennessy's "Connect the Dots" essay.

I was at Vandy's white coat ceremony last year. Lots of students from New York, California, and Texas.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was at Vandy's white coat ceremony last year. Lots of students from New York, California, and Texas.
My guess would be that this is not because a higher proportion of CA/TX/NY applicants select schools like Vandy, but simply that residents of CA/TX/NY make up a very very very large portion of applicants.

Interesting, I was under the impression that Vandy was a decent FA institution.

I have several few friends that go there. They give great financial aid. I wouldn't take the word of someone that takes 40 hours to write 1200 words disputing that. I'm thinking a little jealousy is working here.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Will all due respect to your infinite wisdom sir, I will happily take my 1/2 COA at a T3 over Vanderbilt's generous aid any day of the week. I duly stand corrected. Gentlemen proceed.

Well bless your little heart.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Ok about to unwatch this thread for a while. Cool it you guys. This is so not helpful to any of the rest of us.

Reactions: 2 users
You guys this **** is competitive enough lol, back off of this convo. FA's not something to be talking about on these forums, go do that somewhere else

I checked again right now and payment says received. Anyone else having problems might want to check it again? Might be late to the convo lol

You guys this **** is competitive enough lol, back off of this convo. FA's not something to be talking about on these forums, go do that somewhere else
This will be the place to talk about financial aid, but in like 5-9 months lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received 07/09.

Has anyone with LM < 73 received a secondary? Trying to get a feel for this "most competitive" screen for later cycles.

Secondary received 07/09.

Has anyone with LM < 73 received a secondary? Trying to get a feel for this "most competitive" screen for later cycles.
I received one yesterday! My LM is 71. I didn’t expect this based on previous years posts.

I received one yesterday! My LM is 71. I didn’t expect this based on previous years posts.

What is Vandy's general screen as far as competitiveness? Do most people receive their secondary? Or is it a relatively small amount?

What is Vandy's general screen as far as competitiveness? Do most people receive their secondary? Or is it a relatively small amount?
i think about ~2/3 ppl get it! i am also below lm 73 and got one so screen must be pretty generous

Last year they had 5543 primaries and sent out 3177 secondary invitations (57%), according to the admissions tracker on their website.

For those of you that are taking gap years, did you have like a whole paragraph devoted to explaining what you're doing or kind of like a 2-3 sentence plug?

In the autobio or was it a separate prompt?
In the autobio prompt "Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (1200 words)"

In the autobio prompt "Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (1200 words)"

Gotcha. Well it’s been 6 years since I graduated so I definitely included some stuff from post-graduation.

I think it depends on how much of your life it covers. For me, its a significant portion of my life. I did a lot since graduation and grew a lot, so I'll spend a decent chunk of my essay on that.

I think it depends on how much of your life it covers. For me, its a significant portion of my life. I did a lot since graduation and grew a lot, so I'll spend a decent chunk of my essay on that.
Gotcha. Well it’s been 6 years since I graduated so I definitely included some stuff from post-graduation.

Thanks for the responses..
Hmm so This is my first gap year and I don’t even start stuff until august. But I do want to mention it bc it involves research and I feel like that could play in my favor?

Thanks for the responses..
Hmm so This is my first gap year and I don’t even start stuff until august. But I do want to mention it bc it involves research and I feel like that could play in my favor?
Might as well if you have space!

did y'all go professional or personal for the challenge essay?

did y'all go professional or personal for the challenge essay?

I went the professional route and talked about a challenge I had while working as a teacher. That being said, I really think either is fine so go with whichever one you feel is strongest.

I went professional. Last year’s thread an MS1 suggested that this is more along the lines of what they were looking for.

Hmmm I was going personal--got feedback from other places that my challenge/obstacle essay and app in general was not personal enough. I went professional for Vandy on this essay last year though so maybe I'll reuse it. (100% confident that my autobio essay last year was not what they wanted and is now totally reworked, and can you get more personal than autobiography?).

Hmmm I was going personal--got feedback from other places that my challenge/obstacle essay and app in general was not personal enough. I went professional for Vandy on this essay last year though so maybe I'll reuse it. (100% confident that my autobio essay last year was not what they wanted and is now totally reworked, and can you get more personal than autobiography?).
What feedback did you get on autobio/what made it not what they wanted?

+1, would love some insight as I’m currently struggling w it.

Also, I wrote a personal one, but not sure if I want to change it

+1, would love some insight as I’m currently struggling w it.

Also, I wrote a personal one, but not sure if I want to change it

Sorry I guess I didn't make that very clear. I got feedback from some other schools that my app in general was very professional but they didn't feel like they got to know me as a person very well. (Vanderbilt did not give me feedback.) So I'm feeling this year like I'm trying to make my essay topics more personal and I was responding with surprise to the post that Vandy might be looking for a more professional topic on the challenge essay. In terms of the autobio, I just know I didn't do a good job writing it last year (it was boring as hell), so my rewrite addresses my self-critique more than anything else (although also getting more personal in some ways) :)

Here is what the c/o 2023 M1 was talking about in last year's thread.

I don't think a personal essay for the challenge is off-limits, the prompt never makes an explicit distinction. If your application isn't personal enough, I would argue it would benefit more from a personal essay, and vice versa. Notwithstanding, I believe whatever you feel is more compelling to write about is putting your best forward, here.

Just speculation from a fellow applicant, though. :)

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt does the same secondary screen for MSTP?

How did people differentiate their autobiography from their personal statement? I feel like there's overlap between mine, and I'm not sure what to change.

How did people differentiate their autobiography from their personal statement? I feel like there's overlap between mine, and I'm not sure what to change.
My autobiography is more personal. My personal statement is more professional. Many of the topics are the same, just from a different angle.

N = 1 and I don't know how well it will be perceived.

I wrote my personal statement about the very specific interactions between myself and a patient, my vandy autobio covered that timeframe but didn’t go in to the personal detail as I was just covering activities, timeframes, and general lessons as opposed to specific activities and interactions within.

Did anyone submit more than 3 LOR for vandy? They seem to imply 3 only, but its kinda vague. So dumb...if your school sends a packet there could be any number of recs in there, but if not you are limited.

I know someone ^ already asked about this, but should I be worried that my LORs still haven't been marked as complete? Submitted 7/10 and all the schools I submitted later than that already received my LORs. I tried looking on their admissions for a phone# or email but couldn't find one. Thank you! :)

Did anyone submit more than 3 LOR for vandy? They seem to imply 3 only, but its kinda vague. So dumb...if your school sends a packet there could be any number of recs in there, but if not you are limited.
I sent four. But their sight does say

A letter of evaluation or letter packet should be sent from your Premedical Committee. If your university does not have this committee, send three letters of evaluation:

I know someone ^ already asked about this, but should I be worried that my LORs still haven't been marked as complete? Submitted 7/10 and all the schools I submitted later than that already received my LORs. I tried looking on their admissions for a phone# or email but couldn't find one. Thank you! :)
dont worry i still have an X too

For me my autobiography goes back further in time. My personal statement only very briefly mentioned by childhood. like one sentence. My autobiography talks more about by familial/cultural background. The personal statement is really only talking about why medicine. The autobiography is more general about your life.

MSAR says 3 minimum, 5 maximum

FINALLY SUBMITTED THIS BEAST! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users