USMLE 2019 STEP 2 CK Experience!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItIsFinished

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we approach the end of 2019, I thought I'd share my experience with STEP 2CK. As someone who performed a tad below the national average on STEP 1, I felt I should share my experience to help and or encourage someone who may need it. So, here I go!

I started studying for STEP 2CK on July 1st and took my exam on July 24th. As a disclaimer, due to graduation requirements, my schedule is extremely compressed with course electives I am required to fulfill. For this reason, I only had a little over three (3) weeks to prepare for this exam. Entering into dedicated, I knew that there would be no exam pushing or date changes! I began my study session by redoing all my "marked" and "incorrect," which took a little over a week. I took a practice NBME after 11 days of studying, and I received a score that converted to 213. According to their website, one should expect to receive a CK score of +/-15 points. And to be honest, I was crapping donkey bricks at this point. I decided that I would focus on my weak points. I completed the Statistics section of my UWorld quiz bank and reviewed with an excellent review by Randy Neil, MD (you can find his channel on youtube). Seriously one of the best reviews for all things STEP/statistics related. I also read STEP-Up to Medicine for major topics I had trouble with or knew would be essential (i.e., renal & electrolytes, cardiology, pulmonology, GI, etc.) I took the UWORLD Assesmement # 1 and scored a 228. Grateful for the improvement, I continued to study/ review areas where I felt a bit shaky. A few days before my exam, I completed approximately 1000 questions, and I decided to take UWORLD Assessment # 2 and BAM! 240! Bruh, I was thanking JESUS throughout my apartment. I continued to study days after my last practice test-- sure to focus on my weak points.

The day of my exam, when no one was on the Subway, I knelt on the ground and PRAYED to GOD a few hours before my exam. I got to my testing center on time, the setup was similar to STEP 1, and I got to work. The first two-three blocks were light work (straight forward). Everything after was lol, let's say... your typical STEP/ NBME exam (to put it nicely). It was a hard exam, but I got through it.

Weeks of agonizing waiting, I got my score back, and I received a 239! I know that may not be much for some, but it was more than I could ask for (especially considering where I started). So for those of your guys worrying, don't be afraid, do not be. Contrary to what many say, STEP 2CK is not an easier exam; it only appears that way because you prepare for it throughout the year, but it is doable if you work hard. The only difference for me was that that extra block does a number on you!

My advice is to focus on your weak spots, be intentional about how you prepare for the exam (everyone is different, so figure out what works for you), and leave the rest to God! He has led you this far and won't let you down as long as you remain humble, work hard, and stay focused.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users