2020-2021 APPIC Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my Nov 1st apps this morning. It feels okay? I thought I'd feel relieved but I'm still nervous. I am at prac trying to concentrate now (you can see how well that's going). At least I didn't write any 5 page cover letters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Curious. I have zero VA experience despite my several attempts to get in with the local VA in my city. With that being said, almost half of my applications are VA's (neuro tracks mostly, some with rehab.). Will it be a significant uphill battle for me to get a VA spot due to my lack of VA experience?

I submitted my Nov 1st apps this morning. It feels okay? I thought I'd feel relieved but I'm still nervous. I am at prac trying to concentrate now (you can see how well that's going). At least I didn't write any 5 page cover letters.
I feel like it's going to take time for the nerves to wear off. Plus, now we have to anxiously await interview requests. I'm planning on keeping as busy and as distracted as possible during the upcoming month :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Curious. I have zero VA experience despite my several attempts to get in with the local VA in my city. With that being said, almost half of my applications are VA's (neuro tracks mostly, some with rehab.). Will it be a significant uphill battle for me to get a VA spot due to my lack of VA experience?
Half of my internship apps were VA's, with no VA experience. Got every VA interview, and ended up matching to a VA. you'll be just fine!

Reactions: 1 users

No hard and set answer. Some VAs give a sizable bump to those with VA experience in their apps, some not so much. I've seen it both ways at the VAs I have trained/worked at.

No hard and set answer. Some VAs give a sizable bump to those with VA experience in their apps, some not so much. I've seen it both ways at the VAs I have trained/worked at.

I was thinking that could be the case. I know the VA's rank based on a point system to reduce bias I guess. I have a professor in my program who also had several VA interviews without VA experience. Hopefully I will get some.

Soooooo who's looking to manage the internship interview thread?

I had another question: I applied to a lot of sites...so, depending on how many interviews I might get, I may have to do phone/skype interviews. Will this hurt my chances if I elect to do a phone/skype interview over in person?

YMMV, but I matched at a VA internship with zero VA experience.

Given that I'm submitting most of my applications on Halloween, I feel like I'm trick or treating for internship sites!

Reactions: 3 users
I had another question: I applied to a lot of sites...so, depending on how many interviews I might get, I may have to do phone/skype interviews. Will this hurt my chances if I elect to do a phone/skype interview over in person?

Going to vary by site, but I'd say it's neutral to slightly negative. I've only seen one interview by phone person get matchedvat my sites over the years, and this person was a top 5 candidate on paper, so that helped.

Another anecdotal experience. I got interviews at mostly VAs, even though I did not have a lick of VA experience. Ended up matching at a VA and now in the system for postdoc. Definitely possible, but is likely site dependent as others have said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Somebody in my cohort had 0 VA experience and she got an interview at a VA site! She didn’t match there because she rated other sites higher, but who knows what would have happened if that was her top choice?

I couldn't sleep...got up at 6AM just ruminating in my head that maybe...just maybe, one of my sites that has a deadline of today will email me.

I couldn't sleep...got up at 6AM just ruminating in my head that maybe...just maybe, one of my sites that has a deadline of today will email me.

Sorry to disappoint but not super likely. Take this time to breathe a little before responses roll in. Practice self care and enjoy the weekend! You have plenty of time to worry in the next few months.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone submitting today!

Submitted all my apps a few days ago, woke up this morning to two emails, one inviting me to an internship alumni/applicant reception at an upcoming conference and the other confirming receipt of my submission. I guess this is how the inbox-hypermonitoring time starts... From looking at last year's dates for my sites, seems like notifications can come in any time between next Friday and early December.

How are y'all planning to book flights, given the massive range of potential notification dates?

Good luck to everyone submitting today!

Submitted all my apps a few days ago, woke up this morning to two emails, one inviting me to an internship alumni/applicant reception at an upcoming conference and the other confirming receipt of my submission. I guess this is how the inbox-hypermonitoring time starts... From looking at last year's dates for my sites, seems like notifications can come in any time between next Friday and early December.

How are y'all planning to book flights, given the massive range of potential notification dates?

Something I did when I went though the process a couple years ago was use a calendar to document all of the potential interview dates and use that when scheduling. For example, one of my sites only had 1 or 2 dates, whereas others had 5 or 6, so if I got an interview from one of the sites with 5 or 6 interviews, I would make sure to try to schedule it on a day that didn’t line up with the one or 2 dates for the other. I’m a visual person, so it helped to have it all laid out in front of me. I hope that makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Just realized I never completed those dissertation info boxes on the “current grad program information” form after I submitted an app. It won’t let me edit it even for future apps, so I’m not sure what to do.

I wrote about my dissertation in my essay, and it’s on my CV. It doesn’t say it is required info, but I hope sites don’t judge me for this. Those yellow boxes kept throwing me off bc I thought the sections were done.

I talked with tech support, and they said I could submit the missing info as a supplemental material. What do you all think? Does that make the mistake more obvious or possibly help?

Last edited:
Just realized I never completed those dissertation info boxes on the “current grad experience” form after I submitted an app. It won’t let me edit it even for future apps, so I’m not sure what to do.

I wrote about my dissertation in my essay, and it’s on my CV. It doesn’t say it is required info, but I hope sites don’t judge me for this. Those yellow boxes kept throwing me off bc I thought the sections were done.

I talked with tech support, and they said I could submit the missing info as a supplemental material. What do you all think? Does that make the mistake more obvious or possibly help?
I don't see a "current graduate experience" section, do you mean the current graduate program information?

Something I did when I went though the process a couple years ago was use a calendar to document all of the potential interview dates and use that when scheduling. For example, one of my sites only had 1 or 2 dates, whereas others had 5 or 6, so if I got an interview from one of the sites with 5 or 6 interviews, I would make sure to try to schedule it on a day that didn’t line up with the one or 2 dates for the other. I’m a visual person, so it helped to have it all laid out in front of me. I hope that makes sense!

Yup, made a crazy spreadsheet w/that info already - just don't know the best way to go about booking flights if I get an invitation from a site on the West Coast (I'm on the East Coast) in early Nov. and I have another potential West Coast site holding interviews around that time, but they don't send their notifications til late Nov or early Dec. Most of my sites are at least a 4-5 hour flight.

Last edited:
I started to scout out some AirBnB places in Texas as well as some hotel rates. To be honest...I don't know how I'm going to go about booking flights and lodging.
I applied to a lot in Texas too! I think I will try to group interview dates together by state, so I am not flying to one state, then another, then back to the first one.

I don't see a "current graduate experience" section, do you mean the current graduate program information?
Yes! Just edited the post. I wasn’t looking at my computer when I posted this. Thank you!

Yup, made a crazy spreadsheet w/that info already - just don't know the best way to go about booking flights if I get an invitation from a site on the West Coast (I'm on the East Coast) in early Nov. and I have another potential West Coast site holding interviews around that time, but they don't send their notifications til late Nov or early Dec. Most of my sites are at least a 4-5 hour flight.
Oo I’m sorry, that sounds super stressful :( Maybe one interview will be a “half day” so you can still fly out to the different coast after the interview? Although this is not ideal.

I can possibly stay with my parents and just drive to some of them. I applied to one in my home area of Dallas, then San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. Growing up I used to do a lot of road trips across the whole state. I think I can at least drive to the Austin one, then back home, wait until the next interview, drive to the next ones so that I am just paying for a hotel for one night at most if I need to between each interview.
Oh you’re a Texas native?? This is one of the states I want to move to! My home state has verrrrry few opportunities for the population I wanna work with at the doctoral psych level.
But then I read Texas will likely be implementing the EPPP-2 requirement in 2020 so that gave me pause lol

It's tricky! I'm in the same boat with this. Since Southwest allows you to change/cancel your flights for free up to a few days before they're scheduled to depart, I will probably try to book as many of them as possible through Southwest (using my Southwest credit card)!

Yes! Just edited the post. I wasn’t looking at my computer when I posted this. Thank you!
Well, I think the sites will probably be able to see you didn't fill out that part of the section so providing a supplemental with the missing information would probably be the best idea. By providing the supplemental you are at least acknowledging you know you missed a section and have provided the missing information. Leaving it blank without giving supplemental info may give the impression you did not notice the mistake, not sure how sites would view this (maybe it wouldn't even register an opinion). That is a fairly small mistake that I doubt will be the reason your application is dismissed if they decide not to extend an interview invitation.

Maybe a DCT can chime in on how they think a situation like this should be handled that would reflect well on the student.

I am. I moved to Florida in 2015 and have been hating it ever since LOL. West coast and central Florida are tolerable. I miss my home state. However, I probably wouldn't want to practice there professionally. The state board for psychologists there need to get their crap together. To be honest, I don't like the idea of allowing more latitude to the LPAs there. Training is awesome tho. Great lifestyle overall, awesome food (especially BBQ, chili, etc.). I hate large, congested areas...I prefer some space between myself and a neighbor. Not to mention, my spouse does not want us to live in Texas again.

I have been a LPA in Texas since 2010. There are so, so few of us (less than 1,000), and all but maybe 40 have other licenses that allow independent practice (ex. LPC). I wouldn’t worry too much about LPA’s encroaching on LP territory.

Well, I think the sites will probably be able to see you didn't fill out that part of the section so providing a supplemental with the missing information would probably be the best idea. By providing the supplemental you are at least acknowledging you know you missed a section and have provided the missing information. Leaving it blank without giving supplemental info may give the impression you did not notice the mistake, not sure how sites would view this (maybe it wouldn't even register an opinion). That is a fairly small mistake that I doubt will be the reason your application is dismissed if they decide not to extend an interview invitation.

Maybe a DCT can chime in on how they think a situation like this should be handled that would reflect well on the student.
Thank you! I appreciate your feedback. It certainly calmed my anxiety. Any advice on what I should title the Supplemental material document...”corrected application info” or “updated application info” or something else. Thank you very much for your help!

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback. It certainly calmed my anxiety. Any advice on what I should title the Supplemental material document...”corrected application info” or “updated application info” or something else. Thank you very much for your help!
Maybe title it something like "Dissertation Information" or something along those lines. Almost looks like you did it on purpose and it wasn't a mistake! lol

Also, judging by your username, it seems you are most likely in Neuro or at least in a PhD or PsyD program with a research heavy background. I'm sure you have a fairly competitive application if that is true.

Side note, if you are an intern in Texas you should consider getting your LPA. If you stay in Texas for *post-doc you will be able to make a higher salary until you are fully licensed. Plus, you can take the EPPP before your degree is conferred which may/may not help you avoid the part 2 fiasco. If you pass at the doctoral level you will not have to retake it to obtain your LP.

*The sunset commission has recommended that Texas drop the post-doc requirement in lieu of total supervised hours, but I’m done holding my breath for that change.

I am. I moved to Florida in 2015 and have been hating it ever since LOL. West coast and central Florida are tolerable. I miss my home state. However, I probably wouldn't want to practice there professionally. The state board for psychologists there need to get their crap together. To be honest, I don't like the idea of allowing more latitude to the LPAs there. Training is awesome tho. Great lifestyle overall, awesome food (especially BBQ, chili, etc.). I hate large, congested areas...I prefer some space between myself and a neighbor. Not to mention, my spouse does not want us to live in Texas again.
I applied to one site in West Palm, Florida, but I would not want to live in Florida either.
Also applied to a bunch in Wisconsin, but could I handle the freezing cold weather/snow and settle down there? Thats a no too :p
Btw thank you for your thoughts on TX, always nice to hear that from someone who actually lived there! :)
On this topic, I feel bad for moving my spouse around so much, because I know how badly he wants to settle down, buy a house, etc. We met in this current state, and I told him I will have to go to another state for internship/post doc, and maybe somewhere else to finally settle down and work. I know he also isn’t super crazy about having him having to find new jobs.
It is what it is. We discussed all this before getting married butttt I still feel bad I guess. But not bad enough to quit my pathway D:

I've finished 9 of 15 applications so far...the other 6 are due 11/15 and later. I'm excited about it! Is there any advantage to applying earlier or is it all the same?
The APPIC Online Coordinator sent out a message through the Match News email system:

Submit Applications Prior to the Deadline!

I strongly recommend that you submit your applications prior to the day each site has specified as their application deadline. Almost all applicants aspire to submit early, but many still end up tweaking until the last minute. If there are any technical difficulties when you submit on deadline day, this allows minimal or no time to address them, which can cause a lot of stress at 11:55PM. No one thinks this will be them, but it happens every year! If you submit prior to the deadline day, you should be able to avoid a variety of potential challenges and stressors.
But it doesn't necessarily say there is an advantage, just a smart idea so you don't run into last minute trouble. I read most of the training directors don't even look at the applications until around the due date anyway.

Btw if anyone else wants to chime in with opinions/thoughts about licensing in their state or just how psychologists are treated by legistature in general, please do! I know some states don’t require a post-doc. That is also tempting me lol

I applied to one site in West Palm, Florida, but I would not want to live in Florida either.
Also applied to a bunch in Wisconsin, but could I handle the freezing cold weather/snow and settle down there? Thats a no too :p
Btw thank you for your thoughts on TX, always nice to hear that from someone who actually lived there! :)
On this topic, I feel bad for moving my spouse around so much, because I know how badly he wants to settle down, buy a house, etc. We met in this current state, and I told him I will have to go to another state for internship/post doc, and maybe somewhere else to finally settle down and work. I know he also isn’t super crazy about having him having to find new jobs.
It is what it is. We discussed all this before getting married butttt I still feel bad I guess. But not bad enough to quit my pathway D:
Did you apply to the West Palm Beach Youth Services Department?

I have been a LPA in Texas since 2010. There are so, so few of us (less than 1,000), and all but maybe 40 have other licenses that allow independent practice (ex. LPC). I wouldn’t worry too much about LPA’s encroaching on LP territory.

Idk...I'm still hesitant. There is always the possibility for more LPAs to come onto the market. Not only that, but it's just a philosophical difference I have with the powers at be who decided that it was okay to grant LPAs that much latitude. Granted, you and maybe some others may be the exception since you are doctoral students or post-docs. Also, the state has an issue with defining "licensed psychologist" per the circuit court. So, basically, Texas's abilities to safeguard the profession of psychology is a bit shaky at the moment. Also, regarding post-doc...I prefer to go to post-doc. I would rather that than just graduate then get licensed. I know it sounds weird, but I feel that post-doc will help fill in the necessary gaps in my training. Perhaps we can push for better pay at the post-doc level as finances tend to be an argument in that movement to eliminate the post-doc requirement for licensure.

Idk...I'm still hesitant. There is always the possibility for more LPAs to come onto the market. Not only that, but it's just a philosophical difference I have with the powers at be who decided that it was okay to grant LPAs that much latitude. Granted, you and maybe some others may be the exception since you are doctoral students or post-docs. Also, the state has an issue with defining "licensed psychologist" per the circuit court. So, basically, Texas's abilities to safeguard the profession of psychology is a bit shaky at the moment. Also, regarding post-doc...I prefer to go to post-doc. I would rather that than just graduate then get licensed. I know it sounds weird, but I feel that post-doc will help fill in the necessary gaps in my training. Perhaps we can push for better pay at the post-doc level as finances tend to be an argument in that movement to eliminate the post-doc requirement for licensure.

I think there are pros/cons of dropping that requirement, but mostly feel it is an antiquated portion of legislature that was included before we received so much clinical training during our education. I think it’s absolutely necessary for specialty areas and students that did not receive sufficient training to be independently competent at graduation. The internship year is (theoretically) designed to move you from student to independent clinician.
I have post doc opportunities in two states that don’t require a formal post doc. In both roles I would still be provided supervision for a year regardless of when I’m fully licensed. Both agencies include this as a benefit to clinicians that may move at some point. Plus, not a bad move on their point to have some structured support for their early career psychologists.

I think there are pros/cons of dropping that requirement, but mostly feel it is an antiquated portion of legislature that was included before we received so much clinical training during our education. I think it’s absolutely necessary for specialty areas and students that did not receive sufficient training to be independently competent at graduation. The internship year is (theoretically) designed to move you from student to independent clinician.
I have post doc opportunities in two states that don’t require a formal post doc. In both roles I would still be provided supervision for a year regardless of when I’m fully licensed. Both agencies include this as a benefit to clinicians that may move at some point. Plus, not a bad move on their point to have some structured support for their early career psychologists.

I suppose for employment purposes, I would rather have been fellowship trained than not. Which...for most of the country, is the trend.

Another point about post-doc tho: for many that neuropsychologists, post-doc is where the training begins. Many graduates from Ph.D. programs may not have a track in their program, thus, experiencing an internship with a neuro track plus a post-doc in neuro will provide them the requisite skills and knowledge base needed to practice competently. So, I would say post-doc is very much relevant as would residency for a physician.

Yes!! I loved that they had an inpatient and outpatient rotation ❤❤
I completed a practicum rotation at Youth Services so if you have any questions about the site you can ask! I was a prac student so I did not do a rotation at the inpatient site, but I did go to that site for didactics and it was a pretty cool site.

Everyone there was so nice, it was a very good experience. All of the supervisors and staff psychologists are all extremely knowledgeable and they always have food in the office!! lol But honestly, they were like a big family. Everyone always got a birthday card and Dr. Shayna always brought birthday treats that were given out at the daily meeting. You get your own workspace, interns got their own office, and your own computer.

Another point about post-doc tho: for many that neuropsychologists, post-doc is where the training begins. Many graduates from Ph.D. programs may not have a track in their program, thus, experiencing an internship with a neuro track plus a post-doc in neuro will provide them the requisite skills and knowledge base needed to practice competently. So, I would say post-doc is very much relevant as would residency for a physician.
Agreed, necessary for specialty areas!

I completed a practicum rotation at Youth Services so if you have any questions about the site you can ask! I was a prac student so I did not do a rotation at the inpatient site, but I did go to that site for didactics and it was a pretty cool site.

Everyone there was so nice, it was a very good experience. All of the supervisors and staff psychologists are all extremely knowledgeable and they always have food in the office!! lol But honestly, they were like a big family. Everyone always got a birthday card and Dr. Shayna always brought birthday treats that were given out at the daily meeting. You get your own workspace, interns got their own office, and your own computer.
Wow thats so awesome to know!! If I end up matching there, I will make sure to ask about which living areas are good and which to avoid :)
I’m so glad you shared your experience! One big thing for me is making sure I am treated as someone that is training vs. basically a free/low cost employee. (I was at a practicum site where I was expected to train myself in psych testing by reading the manuals and was expected to turn out testing/scoring/report writing. After my concerns weren’t addressed, my school pulled me and won’t allow students there anymore).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I used the calendar method as well last year which helped a bit. However, a few sites ended up changing their days once invites rolled around. Honestly, try your best to cluster by geographic area when you can, but depending on the amount and location of interviews, you will inevitably do some ridiculous loops around the country. It’s sort of fun to look back on it now in a “wow, that was ridiculously exhausting and I’m glad I survived” sort of way.

Wow thats so awesome to know!! If I end up matching there, I will make sure to ask about which living areas are good and which to avoid :)
I’m so glad you shared your experience! One big thing for me is making sure I am treated as someone that is training vs. basically a free/low cost employee. (I was at a practicum site where I was expected to train myself in psych testing by reading the manuals and was expected to turn out testing/scoring/report writing. After my concerns weren’t addressed, my school pulled me and won’t allow students there anymore).
Oh wow! Yeah I've been burned at a few of my sites. I am in a PsyD program that lets in way too many students so they have a lot of site placement contracts in place with local health clinics in addition to the university-run clinic on campus. My first prac site I was placed at was a last minute, new site that was created just to accommodate the large number of students in my class. I got almost no training at that site and I basically did what I wanted, it was definitely not aligned with a clinical psychology training curriculum.

Anyway, Youth Services for sure treats you like a person and actually wants you to learn. The outpatient rotation is at the student training center so that is the main focus and all of the staff there are available for questions and consultation. I know you said you don't want to live in Florida but if you end up at Youth Services, you will be at a good site. Plus, its only for a year and I bet it flies by quickly.

My friend ended up getting placed in Alaska lol she was a little disappointed/scared at first going from Florida to Alaska but she now loves the experience and is happy she got placed there.

Oh wow! Yeah I've been burned at a few of my sites. I am in a PsyD program that lets in way too many students so they have a lot of site placement contracts in place with local health clinics in addition to the university-run clinic on campus. My first prac site I was placed at was a last minute, new site that was created just to accommodate the large number of students in my class. I got almost no training at that site and I basically did what I wanted, it was definitely not aligned with a clinical psychology training curriculum.

Anyway, Youth Services for sure treats you like a person and actually wants you to learn. The outpatient rotation is at the student training center so that is the main focus and all of the staff there are available for questions and consultation. I know you said you don't want to live in Florida but if you end up at Youth Services, you will be at a good site. Plus, its only for a year and I bet it flies by quickly.

My friend ended up getting placed in Alaska lol she was a little disappointed/scared at first going from Florida to Alaska but she now loves the experience and is happy she got placed there.
Aw yay I’m glad to hear! Of course I am totally willing to do a year or two in FL (like for post doc also). My husband is obsessed with fishing and I know he was very excited about the close proximity to the ocean :D

This is probably a stupid question, but when I visited the APPIC website again to look at a site, in the section Range of integrated assessment reports: highest number of reports written I looked at the numbers and saw for one internship cohort 177 reports. Is that number an aggregate of all accepted interns, or, is this a single person's amount of reports they have written?

This is probably a stupid question, but when I visited the APPIC website again to look at a site, in the section Range of integrated assessment reports: highest number of reports written I looked at the numbers and saw for one internship cohort 177 reports. Is that number an aggregate of all accepted interns, or, is this a single person's amount of reports they have written?
That’s the highest number of reports written by a single person accepted in that year’s cohort dude