2020-2021 APPIC Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychlife19

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone start a thread about this so I did!
My question is- there is an amazing site that is exactly what population/settings I want to work with, but they require 200 intervention and 200 assessment hours. I have about 600 intervention but only 110 assessment...they had 100 applicants last year. Should I bother throwing my application in the ring, or no? Would it be a waste of money?

Of course, there are plenty of other APA internship sites I qualify for...but not very many with this specific population/setting. And I am picking sites that closely align with my training goals and career dreams! Which I think is also important.

I am applying to 14 sites. If I cross this off my list, is 13 still a good amount to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It's going to vary by site. At or site, we will automatically reject applications that do not meet our hours requirements. As a note, our hours requirements are pretty low, so if someone does not meet them, it speaks to the lack of quality training at that applicant's site. Some sites will still look at applications under the cutoff, but it's usually a red flag. 110 assessment hours is very low, and would not meet our site's requirements.

I haven't seen anyone start a thread about this so I did!
My question is- there is an amazing site that is exactly what population/settings I want to work with, but they require 200 intervention and 200 assessment hours. I have about 600 intervention but only 110 assessment...they had 100 applicants last year. Should I bother throwing my application in the ring, or no? Would it be a waste of money?

Of course, there are plenty of other APA internship sites I qualify for...but not very many with this specific population/setting. And I am picking sites that closely align with my training goals and career dreams! Which I think is also important.

I am applying to 14 sites. If I cross this off my list, is 13 still a good amount to apply to?

If it's a site you really like, it might be worth emailing to ask. That being said, if it's a neuro site or assessment heavy (which it sounds like it could be given the hour requirement), I'd probably pass. It would be different if you were right at the border, but you're substantially lower.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If it's a site you really like, it might be worth emailing to ask. That being said, if it's a neuro site or assessment heavy (which it sounds like it could be given the hour requirement), I'd probably pass. It would be different if you were right at the border, but you're substantially lower.

Even sites that are not neuro or assessment heavy generally want a decent number of assessment hours. Remember that assessment encompasses psychological assessment and neuro assessment. Generally, it'd be hard not to get 150+ hours in grad school from those activities in many programs.

Even sites that are not neuro or assessment heavy generally want a decent number of assessment hours. Remember that assessment encompasses psychological assessment and neuro assessment. Generally, it'd be hard not to get 150+ hours in grad school from those activities in many programs.

I agree, I'm just speaking from what I remember seeing when I was applying last year. At bare minimum the assessment heavy sites wanted 200. Non assessment focused sites asked for 60-100.

where is everyone at in their application process?
Banging my head against a wall.

Kidding (mostly). I'm waiting on feedback from my letter writers on my essays and starting to churn out cover letters, which is more time-consuming than I originally thought!

I know that 110 and 200 are far off. I was hoping I could argue "A site should be a good match between training needs and training opportunities, and obviously I have training needs in assessment" haha well there were 4 other sites that I really really liked, that I also meet the hours requirements. Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)

I know that 110 and 200 are far off. I was hoping I could argue "A site should be a good match between training needs and training opportunities, and obviously I have training needs in assessment" haha well there were 4 other sites that I really really liked, that I also meet the hours requirements. Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)

You can email them directly and ask. I did so with sites where I didn’t meet the requirement. One said that my application would get reviewed (I interviewed there) and the other said I would be filtered out before review.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You can email them directly and ask. I did so with sites where I didn’t meet the requirement. One said that my application would get reviewed (I interviewed there) and the other said I would be filtered out before review.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I don't know why, I was a little nervous to email (even though this is nothing abnormal), but now I will! If you don't mind me asking, did you just tell them how many hours you have vs. how many they require?
Or did you also mention some extra positive details like "hey this is a child/adolescent track, and nearly all of my 110 assessment hours are child/adolescent experience." Which I think should count for more than if I had nearly all adult experience :p

2020-2021 people! It's exciting to finally be participating in an internship thread instead of just lurking with envy and dread as I have in years past :D

I am in the process of polishing all my materials, waiting to upload final hours, and trying to strike a balance of gently nudging my letter writers to submit their final recommendations and not annoying them.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know why, I was a little nervous to email (even though this is nothing abnormal), but now I will! If you don't mind me asking, did you just tell them how many hours you have vs. how many they require?
Or did you also mention some extra positive details like "hey this is a child/adolescent track, and nearly all of my 110 assessment hours are child/adolescent experience." Which I think should count for more than if I had nearly all adult experience :p

I second the recommendation to email the DOT and ask; those types of emails are not at all unusual. Some sites can/will make exceptions, and some can't/won't; there's no way for a trainee to know which is which. And yes, I would specifically tell them how many hours you have, but I wouldn't say there's a need beyond that to try and "sell" those hours.

Also, will you have >200 hours by the time you start internship? This could impact their decision.

Banging my head against a wall.

Kidding (mostly). I'm waiting on feedback from my letter writers on my essays and starting to churn out cover letters, which is more time-consuming than I originally thought!

Just make to double check all your letters to make sure the name of the program is correct on all materials and check to make sure the right cover letter goes in the correct envelope. That is a silly mistake that happens every year.

If you need to bang your head against a wall, you may want to invest in this:

Amazon product

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm also finalizing my materials and wondering what the best thing to do regarding choosing supplemental materials is. I am applying to internship sites that have a pediatric neuropsychology track or at least ped neuro experience available. My long-term goal is to attain a postdoc in neuropsychology and complete neuropsychology board certification. A majority of the sites ask for a de-identified report. For some sites, it is obvious that uploading a neuropsych report would be the best fit, for others however, they just ask for a psychological testing report. I am having a difficult time choosing whether I should upload a neuro report for more mixed or general training sites, or a more standard comprehensive report. Any tips on how to best decide on this? Does it make a big difference?

When do y'all plan to submit your hours to the DCT? I was thinking next week, since my first deadline is end of October.

When do y'all plan to submit your hours to the DCT? I was thinking next week, since my first deadline is end of October.
When is your DCT requesting them? Hours had to be submitted last Monday so she had time to review everyone's hours.

Hi everyone, I'm also finalizing my materials and wondering what the best thing to do regarding choosing supplemental materials is. I am applying to internship sites that have a pediatric neuropsychology track or at least ped neuro experience available. My long-term goal is to attain a postdoc in neuropsychology and complete neuropsychology board certification. A majority of the sites ask for a de-identified report. For some sites, it is obvious that uploading a neuropsych report would be the best fit, for others however, they just ask for a psychological testing report. I am having a difficult time choosing whether I should upload a neuro report for more mixed or general training sites, or a more standard comprehensive report. Any tips on how to best decide on this? Does it make a big difference?
Can you pick one with tests or clients that are most likely like the type of clients or tests that will be seen at the sites? For example, all of my reports are neuropsych and one site doesn't do neuropsych but required a report. So I picked one with a kiddo that was most like what the site had (at risk youth, behavioral/affective dysregulation, etc.).

Can you pick one with tests or clients that are most likely like the type of clients or tests that will be seen at the sites? For example, all of my reports are neuropsych and one site doesn't do neuropsych but required a report. So I picked one with a kiddo that was most like what the site had (at risk youth, behavioral/affective dysregulation, etc.).

I could do this, yes! Good to know I'm not overthinking it. I will pick reports that mimick the population seen as best I can.

I want to thank those who advised me to email the training directors! One responded that they will still review my application, and the other responded with a no (phrased very nicely).

Another question-my cover letters are about 1.5 pages, single spaced. I've seen classmates who stick to a page....are mine too long? I think I read somewhere when applying for jobs, one page is standard for cover letters but is 1.5 okay?

I want to thank those who advised me to email the training directors! One responded that they will still review my application, and the other responded with a no (phrased very nicely).

Another question-my cover letters are about 1.5 pages, single spaced. I've seen classmates who stick to a page....are mine too long? I think I read somewhere when applying for jobs, one page is standard for cover letters but is 1.5 okay?
that's fine.

I'm very excited to be participating in this year's thread! I've been reading these threads for at least 5 years now in eager anticipation.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Everyone!

What is the general expectation for number of references sent to sites, unless otherwise specified?

Hi Everyone!

What is the general expectation for number of references sent to sites, unless otherwise specified?

It's usually three unless otherwise specified. I would not suggest sending any more than the number that is asked for.

All of my cover letters are two pages exactly. I took the time to research others' cover letters, asked my faculty and internship mentor. I even looked at my husband's cover letters. The general consensus was two pages should be the most. I think the idea is to be concise, but, have space enough to detail 1. who you are, 2. why you like the site, 3. why you are a good fit (i.e., sell yourself). I also followed some tips from the APAGS workbook for internships and added a "personal note" section if I had family, or used to live in the area to reinforce the idea that I would like to relocate to that area.

Can someone give me a general range for how long a "psychological treatment summary" should be? And how about a "psychotherapy case presentation"? And are those the same thing?

Wow, 28! Why so many?

To be honest, it's probably a mix between my program's requirements for us to submit between 16-20, and my just being paranoid and nervous lol.

Can someone give me a general range for how long a "psychological treatment summary" should be? And how about a "psychotherapy case presentation"? And are those the same thing?

My case summary was four pages. I've attached a template of what I used. Hopefully, that might help. Goodluck! :)

Attachments

• APPIC Case Summary.docx
    17 KB · Views: 226
To be honest, it's probably a mix between my program's requirements for us to submit between 16-20, and my just being paranoid and nervous lol.

My case summary was four pages. I've attached a template of what I used. Hopefully, that might help. Goodluck! :)

Your program **requires** that many? Wow! Match stats say 12-15 is what someone should be aiming for. Just curious, but did they specify a reason why? Also, are they paying for all of these applications? Are you penalized in some way if you don't apply to that many (e.g. you have a specific specialty with not a lot of options, you're geographically limited, or you just don't want to write 16-20 cover letters).

Thanks so much for the template, that's awesome!

And yeah, wow. That's a ton of sites!

Anyone else having transcript issues? Nov 1 is next Friday and about 5 or 6 of my apps are due and I'm freaking out my transcripts will not be posted in time. Do sites automatically reject the app if the transcripts are not attached? Could I email the sites individually and let them know there was an issue with getting my transcripts but they should be posted soon by APPIC? Could I offer to mail my transcripts directly to the site to negate the fact they are not on my app yet?

A treatment summary is the summary of what you did with your patient and what their progress was during treatment. Also, you can address why they are leaving treatment or why you are terminating treatment, whichever is relevant. I also would state how many sessions I saw them for and what their original reason for entering therapy was. My summaries were usually a page to a page and a half, depending on how long I saw the patient for.

A case presentation would be something you are presenting to other mental health professionals, usually covering the patient background and what type of treatment you did with them. You would usually include a case conceptualization, treatment goals, interventions used, and the outcome of the case.

Anyone else having transcript issues? Nov 1 is next Friday and about 5 or 6 of my apps are due and I'm freaking out my transcripts will not be posted in time. Do sites automatically reject the app if the transcripts are not attached? Could I email the sites individually and let them know there was an issue with getting my transcripts but they should be posted soon by APPIC? Could I offer to mail my transcripts directly to the site to negate the fact they are not on my app yet?

I am not having transcript issues but I really wouldn't worry too much about it (if such a thing is possible). I think sites will be understanding about transcripts not being attached yet, and my understanding is that the transcript is the least important part of the app. I definitely don't think you should offer to mail the transcripts directly -- maybe offer to email an unofficial PDF of them, if it gets to the end of the week and it hasn't been uploaded yet. I bet it'll be up later this week, though.

A treatment summary is the summary of what you did with your patient and what their progress was during treatment. Also, you can address why they are leaving treatment or why you are terminating treatment, whichever is relevant. I also would state how many sessions I saw them for and what their original reason for entering therapy was. My summaries were usually a page to a page and a half, depending on how long I saw the patient for.

A case presentation would be something you are presenting to other mental health professionals, usually covering the patient background and what type of treatment you did with them. You would usually include a case conceptualization, treatment goals, interventions used, and the outcome of the case.

THANK YOU this is incredibly helpful.

I am not having transcript issues but I really wouldn't worry too much about it (if such a thing is possible). I think sites will be understanding about transcripts not being attached yet, and my understanding is that the transcript is the least important part of the app. I definitely don't think you should offer to mail the transcripts directly -- maybe offer to email an unofficial PDF of them, if it gets to the end of the week and it hasn't been uploaded yet. I bet it'll be up later this week, though.
APPIC won't receive my transcripts until next Tuesday and then APPIC has to upload them to my application (which takes up to 10 business days), so I am just scared that if the site receives my initial app without the transcripts attached then they will automatically reject it. I was hoping by emailing them and letting them know that their was an issue with my registrar they might be lenient and allow me to send an unofficial one like you suggested until they receive the official ones.

I should also say that if you are completing a treatment summary it doesn't necessarily mean the patient is leaving treatment or that you are terminating them. It could mean they are being transferred to a new therapist or maybe a third party is requesting a treatment update for court/legal purposes, etc.

Your program **requires** that many? Wow! Match stats say 12-15 is what someone should be aiming for. Just curious, but did they specify a reason why? Also, are they paying for all of these applications? Are you penalized in some way if you don't apply to that many (e.g. you have a specific specialty with not a lot of options, you're geographically limited, or you just don't want to write 16-20 cover letters).

To be honest, I am not sure what consequences there are if any...I think they most likely "strong urge" us to apply to 16-20, but in our meetings, they say we "need to" apply to that many. No, they are not paying for the fees, that would be nice tho. I am fine either way, I planned on applying to 24, which then turned into 28 lol. Either way, I should be fine according to the match statistics.

APPIC won't receive my transcripts until next Tuesday and then APPIC has to upload them to my application (which takes up to 10 business days), so I am just scared that if the site receives my initial app without the transcripts attached then they will automatically reject it. I was hoping by emailing them and letting them know that their was an issue with my registrar they might be lenient and allow me to send an unofficial one like you suggested until they receive the official ones.

Hey, that stinks. I'm sorry that's happening for you! I hope others will chime in, but I'll say that if it were me, I'd email sites on Wednesday and let them know the situation and offer to email an unofficial one. I don't think anyone wants a hard copy of your transcript, though! I think it's probably too early to email sites about this now. Good luck to you! I will reiterate that I don't think they'll throw out your application because your transcripts aren't in on Nov 1... This knowledge comes from having lurked on these internship application threads for the past 5 years.

My DCT said she completed her verification but the APPI portal still registers it as "in progress." Anyone know what the deal is with that? My first deadline is in a few days and I'm getting a bit concerned.

My DCT said she completed her verification but the APPI portal still registers it as "in progress." Anyone know what the deal is with that? My first deadline is in a few days and I'm getting a bit concerned.
Where does it say in progress? In my app on the right side, it just says the DCT has been verified. Is that where is says yours is in progress?

Where does it say in progress? In my app on the right side, it just says the DCT has been verified. Is that where is says yours is in progress?

Yes, in the status bar on the right side it says "In Progress"

Was it just recently submitted by the DCT? Or its been a while? Either way, if it isn't verified by Monday I'd give APPIC a call and ask what is going on.

You can withdraw your request for DCT approval and re-submit it. Then hopefully your DCT can re-click the approval button (or however it works) and maybe it will work then?

I submitted and withdrew my request a few times, because my DCT took a week before she finally looked at all of hours, so I kept going back in and adding my daily hours :p So not a big deal to withdraw and resubmit the request.

It got fixed, apparently there was just a time lag. Submitted my apps (15). Do they not register as completed until the letters are all submitted?

:dead: think i'm done for the day lol

It got fixed, apparently there was just a time lag. Submitted my apps (15). Do they not register as completed until the letters are all submitted?

:dead: think i'm done for the day lol

They show up in the portal on our end as not complete. However, it’s also easy to see the reason it isn’t complete is due to letters or transcript issues. I usually give it a day or two and then reach out to an applicant if they meet all our minimum requirements to let them know to contact APPIC.

Howdy folks. While we're on the subject of transcripts, I've been told that we only send transcripts/add to the portal our graduate programs. I was reading last year's application thread and someone mentioned an issue with their undergraduate transcripts. Are we supposed to include information about our undergraduate degree somewhere on the APPI? Not wanting to bother my DCT with this as he's bogged down in approving apps. Thank you so much!

From appic website (Transcript Submission):

"Graduate Transcripts are required, undergraduate transcripts are not required but can be submitted if the graduate school will not separate the undergraduate transcripts."

Howdy folks. While we're on the subject of transcripts, I've been told that we only send transcripts/add to the portal our graduate programs. I was reading last year's application thread and someone mentioned an issue with their undergraduate transcripts. Are we supposed to include information about our undergraduate degree somewhere on the APPI? Not wanting to bother my DCT with this as he's bogged down in approving apps. Thank you so much!

You only send in graduate transcripts, but there is an area on the app that asks about non-graduate education. It's the section called "Other College(s) attended"

Anyone else feeling incredibly anxious as the impending due dates loom closer?

Reactions: 5 users