2020-2021 Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Buffalo

Members don't see this ad.

In 500 words or fewer, please explain your reasons for applying to the University at Buffalo's Jacobs School of Medicine. Please be specific.

Also, in 500 words or fewer, please explain how you would respond to a fellow student who muttered a racist or homophobic statement under their breath in your presence and that of other peers.

Thank you for your interest in our Medical School.

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 1 user
OOS, just received an email of receipt of my application and a link to pay the $100 fee. they mention that they'll be sending another email with the link to the secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, just received an email of receipt of my application and a link to pay the $100 fee. they mention that they'll be sending another email with the link to the secondary
I was confused by the email. So do we get access to their portal after we pay the money or should I wait for an email with portal access before I submit the payment.

I was confused by the email. So do we get access to their portal after we pay the money or should I wait for an email with portal access before I submit the payment.

I wasn’t sure but I decided to go ahead and submit the payment. It says “You will be receiving two (2) emails” so I’m just waiting for the one to actually link to the secondary

I wasn’t sure but I decided to go ahead and submit the payment. It says “You will be receiving two (2) emails” so I’m just waiting for the one to actually link to the secondary

Update: just got the email with the secondary

What exactly does this question mean?

Do you realize that conviction of a felony may preclude licensure in some states? (Answering "Yes" does NOT imply that you have a felony conviction.)

Are we supposed to select "yes"?

What exactly does this question mean?

Do you realize that conviction of a felony may preclude licensure in some states? (Answering "Yes" does NOT imply that you have a felony conviction.)

Are we supposed to select "yes"?
It's asking whether you understand that if you have a felony you might not be able to practice medicine. So, if you understand that, say yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what the "Student Person Number" on the payment website is? Says it is not a required field so I might just leave that blank.

Does anyone know what the "Student Person Number" on the payment website is? Says it is not a required field so I might just leave that blank.
Haven't completed yet but as a student of UB Ugrad, we have person numbers that act as our student ID#. It sounds like that is aimed at us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the link to upload my SAT score but already took my MCAT. Does anyone know if we are supposed to follow the link and press "I'm done uploading documents" without attaching our SAT/ACT scores or are we just supposed to not do anything with the link?

I received the link to upload my SAT score but already took my MCAT. Does anyone know if we are supposed to follow the link and press "I'm done uploading documents" without attaching our SAT/ACT scores or are we just supposed to not do anything with the link?
I got an email to sent SAT/ACT scores as well and I haven't gotten to it but I later got an email saying my file was complete. Am wondering if I still need to upload my scores...

I got an email to sent SAT/ACT scores as well and I haven't gotten to it but I later got an email saying my file was complete. Am wondering if I still need to upload my scores...

Look at the original email sent out inviting you to fill out the secondary. It says "Those scores will only be necessary if you are taking the MCAT on August 7, 2020 through January 2021."

Look at the original email sent out inviting you to fill out the secondary. It says "Those scores will only be necessary if you are taking the MCAT on August 7, 2020 through January 2021."
Right, I saw that, but I'm still wondering whether to simply "ignore" the SAT/ACT link or to follow that link and without uploading anything press "I'm done uploading documents".

How are yall approaching prompt #2 for this secondary?

Right, I saw that, but I'm still wondering whether to simply "ignore" the SAT/ACT link or to follow that link and without uploading anything press "I'm done uploading documents".
Update on this for those wondering:
It appears if your press the "I'm done uploading documents" button without having uploaded anything it just takes you back to the previous page. Seems like if you have an MCAT score you can basically just ignore the SAT/ACT page altogether then.

Has anyone received a completion email? Are we expected to receive a completion email besides "your secondary has been recieved"?

So did you have to pay first to receive the actual secondary? Or did you just wait a couple days

How soon would they start sending out II invites?

I received and submitted my secondary and got a conformation email for the submission as well as the payment.

I am curious though about the part that says to upload SAT / ACT scores... is this required ? I havnt looked at my SAT scores in probably 6 years, I wouldnt even know how to go about getting those!

I completed my secondary application on 7/15 and have yet to receive any confirmation that the secondary was received/completed. I received an email confirming payment, but no email saying they received my secondary. If I go to the applicant gateway I can see my secondary is labelled as "Finished", and is also filled out and I am unable to change anything. Should I have gotten a confirmation email/a completion email?

I completed my secondary application on 7/15 and have yet to receive any confirmation that the secondary was received/completed. I received an email confirming payment, but no email saying they received my secondary. If I go to the applicant gateway I can see my secondary is labelled as "Finished", and is also filled out and I am unable to change anything. Should I have gotten a confirmation email/a completion email?
It took two days for me to get my email

Just decided to apply, submitted my verified app primary today

Added this school to my list on Saturday I believe and got the secondary today

they sent me a “request for secondary” email as well as two “invitation to fill out Secondary”
Not sure if it’s a glitch or they meant to send it twice

Anyone see numbers anywhere regarding how many people applied this cycle? Curious because it looks like it is fewer but haven't been able to locate any resources for it. Also when does Buffalo usually start II invites?

Anyone see numbers anywhere regarding how many people applied this cycle? Curious because it looks like it is fewer but haven't been able to locate any resources for it. Also when does Buffalo usually start II invites?

Can’t answer the first question but I don’t think AAMC keeps a running tally during the cycle that’s publicly available. Could be wrong

From last years thread it seemed as though people were starting to interviews about 3 weeks after their complete date for the secondaries. So with the delay maybe in two weeks they’d start?

For anyone that might not have received the actual link to the secondary yet, I just called their office and they were very helpful and sent it to me right away.

Never got an email after I submitted (?). Trickiest application portal I've encountered so far... does Finished mean submitted?

Never got an email after I submitted (?). Trickiest application portal I've encountered so far... does Finished mean submitted?
Apparently there is supposed to be a complete email? I was gonna call on Monday to find out cause I’ve had my secondary submitted and payment sent for a few days now

I submitted my buffalo secondary app a week ago. When you go to this link "Check Your Application Status" to check your application status, does anyone else get "no information found" ? Not sure if its an delay with processing or what?

I submitted my buffalo secondary app a week ago. When you go to this link "Check Your Application Status" to check your application status, does anyone else get "no information found" ? Not sure if its an delay with processing or what?
Same here, and mine's been submitted for two weeks and all my other materials are complete. Looks like they've sent complete emails in the past, so maybe they're just running a bit slow?

Same here, and mine's been submitted for two weeks and all my other materials are complete. Looks like they've sent complete emails in the past, so maybe they're just running a bit slow?
Weird, I submitted my secondary yesterday and recieved a complete email this morning..

To anyone who hasn’t received a complete email I’d suggest giving them a call!

They’ve been very helpful over the phone and could definitely know if there’s any issues which are holding up your app

To anyone who hasn’t received a complete email I’d suggest giving them a call!

They’ve been very helpful over the phone and could definitely know if there’s any issues which are holding up your app
Thanks for the advice! I just did this and I am complete.

I also learned that the Check Your Application Status tool hasn't yet been updated for this cycle. It will be soon.

Thanks for the advice! I just did this and I am complete.

I also learned that the Check Your Application Status tool hasn't yet been updated for this cycle. It will be soon.
I’m glad it worked for you!

So I’m assuming that site you linked is what we would use for this school to check our app’s status? Since there’s no way to do that on the secondary app

This is going to be a dumb question. The prompts state there's a 500 word limit, but the character limits at the bottom show 5000. For one of my responses, I'm at 530 words and happy with it - and it ends up being around 3500 characters (so it first entirely within the box). Do you guys think I should still try to trim it down to 500?

This is going to be a dumb question. The prompts state there's a 500 word limit, but the character limits at the bottom show 5000. For one of my responses, I'm at 530 words and happy with it - and it ends up being around 3500 characters (so it first entirely within the box). Do you guys think I should still try to trim it down to 500?
My gut says to cut it to 500 words given that they state it specifically. But that's just one opinion