2020-2021 New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of New Mexico

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone receive a secondary yet?

Welcome, and thank you for your interest in applying to The University of New Mexico School of Medicine (UNM SOM). The UNM SOM Office of Admissions would like to inform you that we have received your 2021 American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) application. Due to the high volume of incoming applications, it is taking our office up to 2 weeks to process applications. We will notify you of your status as soon as possible.

Thats what I got. Glad to see everyone must be in the same boat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was rejected as an OOS, automatically. They said you are rejected but if you have state ties email us back. But I didn't email them back because I'm not going to fight a rejection without even being given a secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of New Mexico
Secondary received

At the UNM School of Medicine we are committed to building a community of diverse learners that will go on to contribute to the diversity of the medical field. Are there any aspects of your experience that you are most proud of or that you feel you have been unable to highlight with your application materials already submitted? If so, please explain how this will contribute to the diversity of a learning community and your future medical community. (2000 characters)

What do you see as the most important characteristics of a physician? How do you plan to cultivate them during your training? (2000 characters)

While providing healthcare as a physician is often a rewarding career, it is also a profession that entails addressing constant challenges. Identify what you think is the most significant issue the medical profession will face in the next 20 years, and walk us through the process of solving this problem at a local or national level. Explain your reasoning along the way.

Clinical outcomes are often the downstream outcome of broader policies that impact health inequities. What is a public health policy that has impacted the health outcomes of our community for better or worse? (2000 characters)

Please tell us about a situation in which working with a team was challenging. What was your role? What was challenging? How was it handled? What did you learn? (2000 characters)

Please describe how COVID-19 has effected your preparation for applying to medical school. Describe any academic, personal, financial, or professional barriers/disruptions that COVID-19 may have triggered. (2000 characters)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
thanks for posting these questions. Not sure I'm going to apply this year but its helpful to see the secondary app questions before I do decide to apply or not.

Hi all! I received an e-mail acknowledging my AMCAS application on 8/20, but no Secondary Invite yet. I am IS, and definitely meet minimum requirements. Anyone else waiting for a secondary? UNM is my first choice because I want to be near my folks who are having some health issues, so I'm feeling antsy to get the ball rolling!
Thanks everyone, and good luck!!

UNM SOM alum here, currently doing residency in a surgical sub specialty. Happy to answer any questions about my experience at UNM. Good luck to all those applying!

I was rejected as an OOS, automatically. They said you are rejected but if you have state ties email us back. But I didn't email them back because I'm not going to fight a rejection without even being given a secondary.
+1

UNM SOM alum here, currently doing residency in a surgical sub specialty. Happy to answer any questions about my experience at UNM. Good luck to all those applying!

Several Questions:
1) How are residency matches? I couldn't find anything more than that they mainly match primary med. I'm interested in Neuro, but it doesn't seem that they have any matches in that specialty.
2) How is the research at UNM? Is it possible to get super involved in this?
3) What are some of your favorite experiences?
4) What are some of your least favorite experiences?

Thank you so much for being willing to talk with us through this process!!

Hi! I was waitlisted last year and have applied again this year with 300+ clinical experience hours, a new personal statement, and updated/ more personal LORs. Do you know if being waitlisted last cycle will impact my app this year? I've heard conflicting responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had any experience with a pre-requisite waiver that they'd be willing to share? Long story of why I had to submit one today, but I'm feeling all sorts of anxious about it!

Several Questions:
1) How are residency matches? I couldn't find anything more than that they mainly match primary med. I'm interested in Neuro, but it doesn't seem that they have any matches in that specialty.
2) How is the research at UNM? Is it possible to get super involved in this?
3) What are some of your favorite experiences?
4) What are some of your least favorite experiences?

Thank you so much for being willing to talk with us through this process!!

1) We match very well.You aren’t going to coast on name recognition coming out of UNM like you might elsewhere but you aren’t going to be held back by going here either. You get out what you put in, overall. No question we mostly match into primary care, and I think that’s mostly self selection. I know coming in that I wanted to do a surgical subspecialty and never felt pressured away from it. Can’t remember the exact numbers but this year we had people going into very competitive specialties including a couple into IR, one derm, ENT, ortho, neurosurgery.
I don’t remember neurology specifically but we always have one or two I believe.

2) Research opportunities are there for sure. I published 3 papers while I was there, presented a few times, went to conferences. Again, it’s not handed to you but you can definitely get involved if you seek it out.

3) favorite experiences: classmates were great, not cut throat really at all. Didn’t have to go to lecture which was a huge plus. clinical years are a major strong point. You get to get your hands dirty and have more autonomy as a med student than you do most places which has made me WAY more comfortable as a resident. You can get involved clinically earlier than most places which helped me with getting letters of rev too.
Also, if you’re in state, it’s cheap. If I’d gone to the top med school in the country I still would have been fighting to match at the program I matched at, so I don’t regret that I got here with less debt.

4) least favorite: mostly stuff that would be true anywhere. Hated studying for step, hated tests in general. Stuff like that. My biggest beef with UNM was probably that I don’t think they taught towards step 1 very well. Didn’t matter for me really because I was very self motivated to study but that’s not true of everyone. That said, I think they’ve changed the curriculum a lot since I was there.

honestly, I’m not sure it matters a ton where you go to med school. You can do anything out of anywhere, but I have no regrets about choosing to stay here for med school

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! I was waitlisted last year and have applied again this year with 300+ clinical experience hours, a new personal statement, and updated/ more personal LORs. Do you know if being waitlisted last cycle will impact my app this year? I've heard conflicting responses.

honestly I don’t know how being a reapplication impacts things.I’ve heard it doesn’t but I never sat on admissions.

Personally, I was sort of average in terms of grades and MCAT but I think my LORs and clinical hours made a big difference so sounds like you’re on the right track.

Does UNM have an internal ranking system that gets reported in the dean's letter? Were you able to balance boards prep and class material while in the preclinical curriculum?

Does UNM have an internal ranking system that gets reported in the dean's letter? Were you able to balance boards prep and class material while in the preclinical curriculum?

Effectively, yes they do in a couple of ways. First you have a numeric ranking that is based on third year grades and that’s essentially reported as your class rank. Second, you have a sort of a percentile ranking that’s reported as you’re a exceptional/great/good (something like that anyway) candidate, with an explanation that goes into what percentile those correspond to. Things that go into that, as I recall, were things like third year rank, honors in first year or not, step score, AOA, etc.

Definitely a struggle to study for both but what was nice at least for my class was our first and second year grades for each block were heavily influenced by our final exam which was NBME, so mostly studying those topics with an eye towards step prepared me VERY well for the NBME exams (usually scored 90+%) so I ended up with first year honors despite never going to class and barely watching/reading lectures.

Nothing yet. Does anyone know if they said we would hear back on December 15th regarding prematch acceptances or was it by then?

I haven't heard anything yet. They told me between November 15th and December 15th. If we do not hear back then, we will find out in February or March. I interviewed in October.

Does anyone know how hard it is for out of state applicants to get an interview? I grew up in New Mexico, and I moved away during high school. I filled the residency appeal form, but I'm not sure how strict they are with it. I would love any input regarding this!

Does anyone know how hard it is for out of state applicants to get an interview? I grew up in New Mexico, and I moved away during high school. I filled the residency appeal form, but I'm not sure how strict they are with it. I would love any input regarding this!
Based on MSAR, they interviewed 31 out-of-state applicants for 2019.

Has anyone received any word yet? Still waiting to hear back from them hopefully this month - but not sure if they already sent everything out so I should be expecting March lmao.

Congrats on the II!! if you don't mind me asking, did you have strong ties to the state, and when did you submit your secondary?

Congrats on the II!! if you don't mind me asking, did you have strong ties to the state, and when did you submit your secondary?
Thanks! I'm a Native American Tribal member, so that's why they considered me. I just submitted my secondary this past Friday

Reactions: 1 users
That is amazing!! congrats on the interview, and I hope you get that Acceptance soon!

They are really strict. I was born and grew up in NM and applied when I was OOS, but since I didn't graduate from high school here or meet their other criteria for strong connections my application was immediately rejected.

They are really strict. I was born and grew up in NM and applied when I was OOS, but since I didn't graduate from high school here or meet their other criteria for strong connections my application was immediately rejected.
did you do the residency appeal?

I got accepted earlier today. It came via email. I interviewed November 3rd. Stats aren't super great but I have a good list of experiences working with underserved and rural communities which I feel was the key reason I was offered an interview and now accepted.

Good luck to you all out there! I hope you all get an A email soon!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello all, 5th time applicant here. So hoping for an acceptance this cycle as I was relatively close last cycle. I just interviewed on 1/5. For anyone who may be interested, they mentioned they still have over 100 applications to review, and there are approx 20 something available spots left remaining in the class (this doesn’t include the 20ish people who will also be later accepted off the alternate list). Congrats to everyone who already received an acceptance, and best of luck to everyone else still waiting.
Edit: Forgot to mention, for everyone still waiting, they predict we’ll know around 3/15.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just received an acceptance email earlier today as well!

Reactions: 3 users
has anyone who went to the post application zoom gotten an email to set up a one on one appointment?

Does anyone know if the "Introduction Letter from UNM SOM Financial Aid Office" that we are supposed to sign that we read is just the Financial Aid section of the portal? I don't think I got any emails from them other than the in-state/out-of-state residency classification.

• Hmm
Does anyone know if the "Introduction Letter from UNM SOM Financial Aid Office" that we are supposed to sign that we read is just the Financial Aid section of the portal? I don't think I got any emails from them other than the in-state/out-of-state residency classification.
I believe so!