2020 Sleep Medicine Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inkyubeytor

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Fourth year DO student, on the interview trail and hopefully will match 2021 (FM/IM). I do know for sure I'd like to do a sleep medicine fellowship. Problem is, my COMLEX sucks (one failure, otherwise low scores). I anticipate being able to pass Level 3 decent enough and plan to do research during residency.

I know sleep medicine has gotten way less competitive. I wanted to know if it was noncompetitive enough that I can get in with bad boards, assuming I pass Level 3 and do well during residency. So, as of 2020, is it still noncompetitive and anticipate it staying noncompetitive within a couple years?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be competitive because of fewer jobs for the number of fellows graduating (some midlevel encroachment) and decreasing reimbursement. However, somewhat competitive because it is open to so many specialities like IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, PCCM and many IM graduates doing a sleep year to get into PCCM.
I would think there might be some program which can take you if you are geographically flexible but like I said above there is low likelihood that you will find a 100% sleep outpatient job as most jobs are kind of part-time done in groups with pulmonary or neurology doctors.

I was very interested in this field too. Looking into it, you should be able to match if you're willing to go anywhere

Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't be competitive because of fewer jobs for the number of fellows graduating (some midlevel encroachment) and decreasing reimbursement. However, somewhat competitive because it is open to so many specialities like IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, PCCM and many IM graduates doing a sleep year to get into PCCM.
I would think there might be some program which can take you if you are geographically flexible but like I said above there is low likelihood that you will find a 100% sleep outpatient job as most jobs are kind of part-time done in groups with pulmonary or neurology doctors.
Well that sucks because I want a purely sleep medicine position.

How many programs are most applicants applying to? I have above average board scores and neurology residency, minimal extracurriculars and am trying to figure out how many programs to apply to. I am not bound by geography. I have a home program which I think I have a high chance at getting so I would be applying to mainly reach programs.