2021 CPJE results - 44% failure rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The job landscape for pharmacists has changed drastically since covid. It was the hunger games for a while for many. But not anymore.

Retail right now is really struggling to find people, not just techs. Signing bonuses are back at Walmart, especially in rural areas. Chains that were only giving 30hrs per week are now forcing rph to go to 40 because they so shortstaffed. I never heard of so many pharmacists quitting midshift as I had this past 1.5 years. The labor market is tight, and these crappy retail jobs just aren't worth it to alot of people anymore
tell me stories about pharmacists quitting midshift. i dream of that day for myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
The job landscape for pharmacists has changed drastically since covid. It was the hunger games for a while for many. But not anymore.

Retail right now is really struggling to find people, not just techs. Signing bonuses are back at Walmart, especially in rural areas. Chains that were only giving 30hrs per week are now forcing rph to go to 40 because they so shortstaffed. I never heard of so many pharmacists quitting midshift as I had this past 1.5 years. The labor market is tight, and these crappy retail jobs just aren't worth it to alot of people anymore
It’s only temporary though, there’s still a massive saturation of pharmacists, it’s just that during COVID, there are few willing to work for 45-50/hr and in these conditions. Loan pauses helped some of them stick it to the retail chains but once loans resume that will quickly change and they’ll flock back for 35/hr. The bonuses are a cheap way of trying to get them through the door, and most young ones don’t understand how the bonuses truly work (i.e. that 40% essentially goes to taxes, they have to pay it back if they leave/are fired for any reason, that those bonuses are usually for stores no one would even consider, that the hourly rate is low so even with those bonuses the pay is not worth it, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s only temporary though, there’s still a massive saturation of pharmacists, it’s just that during COVID, there are few willing to work for 45-50/hr and in these conditions. Loan pauses helped some of them stick it to the retail chains but once loans resume that will quickly change and they’ll flock back for 35/hr. The bonuses are a cheap way of trying to get them through the door, and most young ones don’t understand how the bonuses truly work (i.e. that 40% essentially goes to taxes, they have to pay it back if they leave/are fired for any reason, that those bonuses are usually for stores no one would even consider, that the hourly rate is low so even with those bonuses the pay is not worth it, etc.).
This is true, alot of this is temporary. The only difference now is that pay in other fields is going up. With student loan programs and IBR, some pharmacists have realized working for chain retail just isn't worth it. People that have quit are looking for other pharmacist jobs and if they can't find them they are bailing on pharmacy completely. Seen it a few times now. If your income is close to 0 then there is no loan payment.

The conditions at the chains have deteriorated so badly that finding techs is likely a permanent problem now. Usually pharmacists quit because they are staffing a whole pharmacy by themselves or chronically missing reliable techs. Working for $45 an hour just isn't worth all that stress for days and weeks on end. The chains have already cut their hours open, but they have also had to do many temporary store closures because they can't find anyone. It is pretty wild out there. Techs have so many other options that retail can't compete unless they radically raise wages.

From what I've seen, chains returned to 2012-2014 rates, $60-$65 per hour, ONLY for CERTAIN harder to staff areas, like San Bernadino, Palms Springs, Lompoc, etc with 25K-50K sign on bonus. Some of these stores are almost non-workable/dangerous due to short staffing. Most RPh, especially the newbies would not survive.

Reactions: 1 users
I keep hearing about the shortage of pilots and teachers. Why don't people pursue those fields? At least they get respect unlike pharmacists.

• Hmm
That's what I wondered...What ARE the symptoms of high blood pressure...when you are standing behind a counter/ Maybe a red face? Busted veins in eye balls? In any case...Unless you know something or someone really special...ya gotta be nutz to go to Pharmacy college....Tomorrow I will spend my professional day running back and forth checking the techs and saying "ya got any questions? "No" OK thanks bye.. at least I don't run the register..The only really fun/ interesting job I did long ago was a little time in a nuclear pharmacy...but the hours didn't jibe with my truly fun challenging job..and I had a glow..soo I flogged pills for work and the other fun one for money and a real challenge and (again) fun....You can hire on with a big truck outfit...they will train....80 grand....some claim home every night.....But I guess truck driver doesn't have the cachet that pharmacist still has..if it does..

I keep hearing about the shortage of pilots and teachers. Why don't people pursue those fields? At least they get respect unlike pharmacists.
"Pilot" has sort of a cachet to it...but It consists of a lot of droning thru the sky with the sun shining on you and you fight going nite nite. , Or short hops from one domestic airport to another..You have a union but advancement rules are rigid and so is the physical...The "coffee, tea or me" days are long gone...It's likely that there will be a recession within maybe "two"? years and then you get a furlough by seniority. Retirement age is engraved in stone. "Most" get trained by the military all tho that may change. As of now if you last you can make big coin as a Captain droning thru the night to ..I dunno..London...Teachers don't make much and you must be VERY careful of which skool you end up at...it's a calling...Ask a local before you jump on this one..

"Pilot" has sort of a cachet to it...but It consists of a lot of droning thru the sky with the sun shining on you and you fight going nite nite. , Or short hops from one domestic airport to another..You have a union but advancement rules are rigid and so is the physical...The "coffee, tea or me" days are long gone...It's likely that there will be a recession within maybe "two"? years and then you get a furlough by seniority. Retirement age is engraved in stone. "Most" get trained by the military all tho that may change. As of now if you last you can make big coin as a Captain droning thru the night to ..I dunno..London...Teachers don't make much and you must be VERY careful of which skool you end up at...it's a calling...Ask a local before you jump on this one..

I think teachers didn't make much back in the day, my high school teachers all drove beaters. But have you seen a high school teachers parking lot lately? Every car is at least 30k. There are some Porsche SUVs, Teslas, Toyota RAV4 hybrids, Toyota Highlander, Jeep Wranglers, Honda Odyssey. Not a beater in sight.

I think teachers didn't make much back in the day, my high school teachers all drove beaters. But have you seen a high school teachers parking lot lately? Every car is at least 30k. There are some Porsche SUVs, Teslas, Toyota RAV4 hybrids, Toyota Highlander, Jeep Wranglers, Honda Odyssey. Not a beater in sight.
Go for it...but be ready to drive your wrangler to a new job or the courthouse for the slightest mis-step..We have had at least five given the bootaroo for "insensitivity" STS in about the last 18 months....and those are the ones you hear about......The "parents" rule the roost...management is terrified..

tell me stories about pharmacists quitting midshift. i dream of that day for myself.
Two WAG's in town....Not long ago mid-shift the Manager of the newer one quit l....ocked the doors...turned in the keys and scooted with no warning...apparently the only tech didn't show up..but who really knows..maybe the cameras?

Only suckers pay for schooling- better off being a truck driver or garbage man- easy 6 figures with OT and no debt
My brother did drive semi for quite a while......The place he works part time now? He refuses to drive OTR again..BUT regularly has to back in big rigs 'cause the regular dude can't ...a few weeks ago a "driver" accidently drove into a trailer court of all places..and could not get back out..no way no how.....Be careful around the big rigs..

New grad was thrown into ghetto 24 hr store on his very first shift. He shut the gate and left before lunchtime LoL.

• Wow
  • Care
Ahhhh, another thread where pharmacists believe restaurant workers make 6 figures easily in 1 night.

• Haha
New grad was thrown into ghetto 24 hr store on his very first shift. He shut the gate and left before lunchtime LoL.
if a new covid vaccine comes out and there's a whole 'nother round of mass vax campaign coinciding with the flu shot...i could def see myself leaving midshift.

if a new covid vaccine comes out and there's a whole 'nother round of mass vax campaign coinciding with the flu shot...i could def see myself leaving midshift.

Monkey pox vaccine might be next?

Just be a computer programmer and make six figures doing 20-30 hours of actual work each week from home.

• Haha
Just be a computer programmer and make six figures doing 20-30 hours of actual work each week from home.
Do you actually work as a software dev? I find myself doing quite a bit of work outside work hours just to keep up sometimes. Its only studying but still, I wish it could be kept within work hours