2021 Cycle Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigMike25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I only applied to one school last cycle and got wait-listed. This cycle I am going to apply to three additional schools. I felt like I crushed my interview at OU but has anyone interviewed with LECOM, Marquette, or Creighton? If so, what did you think of it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I only applied to one school last cycle and got wait-listed. This cycle I am going to apply to three additional schools. I felt like I crushed my interview at OU but has anyone interviewed with LECOM, Marquette, or Creighton? If so, what did you think of it? Thanks!

why only 3 more?
why those specific schools?

One more thing, I am paying for this process all by myself so I couldn't really afford to add additional schools on top of the DAT and study materials. I'll be retaking it in two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
One more thing, I am paying for this process all by myself so I couldn't really afford to add additional schools on top of the DAT and study materials. I'll be retaking it in two weeks.
With a 19 AA/19 TS/26 PAT, I can't see that the problem is re-taking the DAT. It has to do with your school list. Also depends on your GPA and how strong your application is.

With a 19 AA/19 TS/26 PAT, I can't see that the problem is re-taking the DAT. It has to do with your school list. Also depends on your GPA and how strong your application is.
I agree. That is where I am lacking. I made a 2.5 GPA my freshman year and struggled with time management between work, fraternity, and class. They should have been easy A's but I managed to graduate this last spring with a 3.3 overall GPA and 3.4 science GPA. In terms of experience, I have a little over 300 hours volunteering as a dental assistant at a local charity plus shadowing consisting of general and specialty. I am mainly retaking the DAT for my 18 in reading.

I agree. That is where I am lacking. I made a 2.5 GPA my freshman year and struggled with time management between work, fraternity, and class. They should have been easy A's but I managed to graduate this last spring with a 3.3 overall GPA and 3.4 science GPA. In terms of experience, I have a little over 300 hours volunteering as a dental assistant at a local charity plus shadowing consisting of general and specialty. I am mainly retaking the DAT for my 18 in reading.

18 in reading is not your problem
with your gpa and dat, you can get into schools, you just have to apply to way more of them...

Reactions: 2 users
18 in RC is DEFINITELY not the problem. Your DAT is on par with your GPA. It really is the list of schools you're applying to that is a problem. Since you've been studying for the DAT for some time and will be taking it in a week, go for it as you can make yourself more competitive. It will be pretty hard to top a 26 PAT but I don't see it hurting you if you get at least a 20 or above in that section as you previously received a 26.

definitely because of the 18 in RC.. Shoot for a 19 and you'll be sittin' real good

As everyone said apply to more schools. Also, if you don't get in this cycle apply for FAP (Fee assistance Program) they give you money to apply to school.

Lastly in the grand scheme of things spending $1200 in application fees is pennies in the bucket. Don't cheap out now if you apply only 3 schools each cycle and don't get it in, that's ~$1800 ($600 per) wasted. Trying to save money now might be more expensive in the future.

18 in RC is DEFINITELY not the problem. Your DAT is on par with your GPA. It really is the list of schools you're applying to that is a problem. Since you've been studying for the DAT for some time and will be taking it in a week, go for it as you can make yourself more competitive. It will be pretty hard to top a 26 PAT but I don't see it hurting you if you get at least a 20 or above in that section as you previously received a 26.
Thank you for that. I was worried about not living up to that 26 again or doing worse in any other section lol. I appreciate your input!

definitely because of the 18 in RC.. Shoot for a 19 and you'll be sittin' real good
Fingers crossed. I'm praying for better passages this time around. I also made an 18 in QR so I'll be aiming for a 19 in that too.

Reactions: 1 user
Fingers crossed. I'm praying for better passages this time around. I also made an 18 in QR so I'll be aiming for a 19 in that too.
they were being sarcastic :confused:

• Okay...
Hello everyone!! I retook my DAT on Wednesday and here were my results.
PAT: 20
QR: 16
RC: 20
BIO: 19
GC: 21
OC: 24
TS: 21
AA: 20
So, I did drop 6 points in PAT and 2 in QR but I did not study for either of those sections at all. I know a 16 is horrible, but I tried to improve the scores that were lagging. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!! I retook my DAT on Wednesday and here were my results.
PAT: 20
QR: 16
RC: 20
BIO: 19
GC: 21
OC: 24
TS: 21
AA: 20
So, I did drop 6 points in PAT and 2 in QR but I did not study for either of those sections at all. I know a 16 is horrible, but I tried to improve the scores that were lagging. Any thoughts?

good improvement on AA and TS
QR is the least heavily weighted section
I still think you should apply to more than 4 schools...

good improvement on AA and TS
QR is the least heavily weighted section
I still think you should apply to more than 4 schools...
I agree. I will do some more research today on schools I think I have a shot at and keep y'all updated! I appreciate your advice

I agree. I will do some more research today on schools I think I have a shot at and keep y'all updated! I appreciate your advice
One thing you need to know about OU is most of the students have applied 2-4 times before they got in. The ones that made it on the first cycle either had connections or had DAT's in the mid 20's. The fact that this is your second cycle shows you have determination, but I would apply to at least 5 schools to be on the safe side.

Good Luck

One thing you need to know about OU is most of the students have applied 2-4 times before they got in. The ones that made it on the first cycle either had connections or had DAT's in the mid 20's. The fact that this is your second cycle shows you have determination, but I would apply to at least 5 schools to be on the safe side.

Good Luck
Thank you so much for the info! I am very excited this time around, but not overly confident. I do have a question about the student panel portion of the interview. Last year, my group had two people asking all of the questions and ended up answering the majority of mine. I didn't want to be rude and speak over them but I also felt that the 4th years didn't think I was engaging enough. I don't know if that is what made or break the committee's decision on me as an applicant. Do you have any advice for that if I get in that position again?
I know a guy applying to OU for the fourth time so I am hoping he gets it this year. Good luck to you in your last two years! You're on the home stretch :)

Thank you so much for the info! I am very excited this time around, but not overly confident. I do have a question about the student panel portion of the interview. Last year, my group had two people asking all of the questions and ended up answering the majority of mine. I didn't want to be rude and speak over them but I also felt that the 4th years didn't think I was engaging enough. I don't know if that is what made or break the committee's decision on me as an applicant. Do you have any advice for that if I get in that position again?
I know a guy applying to OU for the fourth time so I am hoping he gets it this year. Good luck to you in your last two years! You're on the home stretch :)

the student panel is not make or break
the D students realize who is being an ass kisser and who is being polite and quiet and who is shy and unengaging...

What macsak said is true. The student panel is worth very little in the interview process. I think the students will give their opinion, but that’s about it. Unless you say something really offensive I wouldn’t worry about it. As for those who monopolize the conversation, remember, they have a bigger chance of saying something stupid and remembered for it.

OU has a point system. You take the AA and the TS scores, the overall GPA, the SGPA X 1.5, the score for the interviews, experience, service, and anything else they give point value for, add it all together, and form a list. The top 10% get automatically accepted without discussion. The other 90% they discuss the pro’s and con’s. This is when your interviewers defend or hang you.

What macsak said is true. The student panel is worth very little in the interview process. I think the students will give their opinion, but that’s about it. Unless you say something really offensive I wouldn’t worry about it. As for those who monopolize the conversation, remember, they have a bigger chance of saying something stupid and remembered for it.

OU has a point system. You take the AA and the TS scores, the overall GPA, the SGPA X 1.5, the score for the interviews, experience, service, and anything else they give point value for, add it all together, and form a list. The top 10% get automatically accepted without discussion. The other 90% they discuss the pro’s and con’s. This is when your interviewers defend or hang you.

at the vast vast majority of schools, the student panel has no input
it's like the person that gives the financial information, they have no say in the process
the most of the time, when a student has input, they are on the actual interview itself

this doesn't mean, however, that you can ask where to score drugs or be rude to people anywhere on the interview day...

at the vast vast majority of schools, the student panel has no input
it's like the person that gives the financial information, they have no say in the process
the most of the time, when a student has input, they are on the actual interview itself

this doesn't mean, however, that you can ask where to score drugs or be rude to people anywhere on the interview day...
Okay, that's a sigh of relief. Thank you for that. Oh goodness no. I also noted to not suck up too much because I noticed a few interviewees try that route. I just can't seem to pin point the flaw during my interview last year and improve off that.

Okay, that's a sigh of relief. Thank you for that. Oh goodness no. I also noted to not suck up too much because I noticed a few interviewees try that route. I just can't seem to pin point the flaw during my interview last year and improve off that.

your "flaw" is applying to too few schools
someone said in another thread (paraphrasing for your situation)
"do you want to go to OU or do you want to go to dental school?"

Update! I received an invitation to interview from OU. I did apply to Tennessee and Kentucky as well since my last comment on this thread. Still waiting to hear from Marquette, LECOM, and Creighton too.

Update: I will be attending OU College of Dentistry!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations!! It seems your persistence really paid off!