2021 new grad DPT salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dylandb10

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a 3rd year DPT student in south MS getting ready to graduate this summer. I figured it would be helpful for PT students if those with any sort of insight (especially therapist) to starting PT salary could share what they were offered and/or accepted as a new grad, or even with a few years experience, vets too.
The average starting salary that I've heard is 70-75k here (MS), all in OP setting. I have a friend who practices in Destin, FL and makes approximately 65k and also have a friend in Arizona who makes 70k (both new grads).
Just figured this would be helpful for those getting ready to graduate and are looking for salary insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I am a 3rd year DPT student in south MS getting ready to graduate this summer. I figured it would be helpful for PT students if those with any sort of insight (especially therapist) to starting PT salary could share what they were offered and/or accepted as a new grad, or even with a few years experience, vets too.
The average starting salary that I've heard is 70-75k here (MS), all in OP setting. I have a friend who practices in Destin, FL and makes approximately 65k and also have a friend in Arizona who makes 70k (both new grads).
Just figured this would be helpful for those getting ready to graduate and are looking for salary insight.
Look up Ben Fung Updoc media, google or on Facebook, he publishes comprehensive PT salary information broken out by state and setting

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,
do you go to that school in Haitiesburg?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
for CA: $35/h for OP, low 40s for SNF, $39 for hospital as new grad.

Don't accept anything under 70k as a new grad in an OP PT setting. Your starting salary now is an important consideration for future income potential and growth.

Reactions: 1 users
Negotiate, but know why you are asking for more.
What do you bring to the table? If they can’t budge on salary then PTO?
Also look at the total compensation package. Pay varies pretty significantly by setting and location.

I was offered 75K for OP ortho and countered with 80k +10k for relocation, and honestly to my surprise they took it. (Non traditional new grad, leveraged a lengthy leadership background on my resume)

Reactions: 1 user
Also other offers were:
62k, 65k, and 69k all with varying benefits in OP ortho.
I would echo the sentiment that it would be tough to settle for below 70 unless there were some killer benefits.

Last edited:
Negotiate, but know why you are asking for more.
What do you bring to the table? If they can’t budge on salary then PTO?
Also look at the total compensation package. Pay varies pretty significantly by setting and location.

I was offered 75K for OP ortho and countered with 80k +10k for relocation, and honestly to my surprise they took it. (Non traditional new grad, leveraged a lengthy leadership background on my resume)
Well done!

Any idea on what nyc starting salaries look like?

for CA: $35/h for OP, low 40s for SNF, $39 for hospital as new grad.
Almost everyone I know working in OP ortho clinic in CA are starting at 90K. A lot even 95K salaries.

Work in Nevada with a 95k starting salary out of grad school

I'm a current travel Physical Therapist who created a side business called "Healthcare Hustlers" where I list travel therapy jobs.

I created the business to prevent travelers from being low balled and ripped off by shady recruiters.

The recruiters I work with offer jobs at a pay rate higher than the industry average.

As a new grad PT, you can easily make over $100k.

Feel free to join the group and ask me any questions you may have about travel therapy!