2021 new hire overnight pharmacist salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much are new overnight pharmacists offered nowadays? Just wanna see what's out there.

Don't care how much current overnight pharmacists make since new hires can't get that salary.

Members don't see this ad.

Do people even go straight to night shift these days? Back in the day when you somehow had 1500/week stores open 24 hours, you could do that. Now the slowest 24 hour I know of is actually my store at about 3500/week. I wouldn't put a new grad in that situation. You need to have a decent amount of experience to not be a complete disaster these days.

Reactions: 2 users
If this is retail overnights, then I believe most chains in most areas have stopped paying extras for overnights, so you might as well just ask any new grad how much they are getting offered

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If overnight were an option for my company, I probably would take it. But I have been told it’s just one store that does it in entire company and that store does 5000 scripts.

Having said that, your neck is alway on line as a graveyard rph. Too much uncertainty surrounding schedule change and staffing cuts. You are never really safe from job security POV.

Reactions: 1 user
Do people even go straight to night shift these days? Back in the day when you somehow had 1500/week stores open 24 hours, you could do that. Now the slowest 24 hour I know of is actually my store at about 3500/week. I wouldn't put a new grad in that situation. You need to have a decent amount of experience to not be a complete disaster these days.

My old store had about that much and I was hired as an overnighter as a new grad. Every person since then has been a new grad cause no one else wants to do it.

$58/hr hospital(before shift diff) back in 2017 in central US - curious to see what it is today.

Last edited:
overnight is stupid and waste of payroll, that is one thing I agree with corporate. for the price of 1 overnight pharmacist I would rather have 3 or 4 extra techs.

• Dislike
Man those stores are scarce nowadays. I miss the good old days without auto-refill where you would catch an overnight RPh who would barely know how to use a computer and he would just tell customers that the systems are down and they would need to comeback in the morning. Those were the golden days of the RPh shortage.

overnight is stupid and waste of payroll, that is one thing I agree with corporate. for the price of 1 overnight pharmacist I would rather have 3 or 4 extra techs.
Depends on the situation. Some are a waste. But the stores that do like 6000+ a week are legitimately busy all night long. Go to Harbison Ave in Philly at 1am and look at the drive thru that somehow still has like 5 cars in it.

And keep in mind that CVS has to have a certain amount of overnight stores for filling emergency fills for Omnicare, too. I do like 5-6 a night most weekends, especially.

How much are new overnight pharmacists offered nowadays? Just wanna see what's out there.

Don't care how much current overnight pharmacists make since new hires can't get that salary.
WG offering 47 per hour. In the same region but not town, I was getting ~70 with CVS 4.5 years ago doing overnights,
WG does not pay lunch for overnights while CVS is "on duty meal".
These new grads have no idea or must be really pissed!

• Wow
WG offering 47 per hour. In the same region but not town, I was getting ~70 with CVS 4.5 years ago doing overnights,
WG does not pay lunch for overnights while CVS is "on duty meal".
These new grads have no idea or must be really pissed!

If a new grad becomes an overnighter, is there differential or anything? $47/hr is pathetic wow.

Such a true statement. I think now more than ever, starting out as an overnight would be insane/impossible in a retail setting (this is coming from someone who started out as an overnight as my first professional pharmacy job; only doable because I had soooo much prior experience & system know how to begin with)

If a new grad becomes an overnighter, is there differential or anything? $47/hr is pathetic wow.
I can confirm that payrate - I had an offer this year and they told me payrate is frozen and same for floater/staff
And to be exact it was $46.90, which IS pathetic - of course I said no thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend is working for CVS. She’s very happy that she’s getting a 30-min lunch, which is not something that other jobs offer. I was like wtf, why does someone have to be grateful to even get a lunch break?

Depends. In long term care, my overnight shift is mostly spent checking the rx cycle fill which they don't have much time for during the day. It keeps the meds moving along in the fill process. Also, all of the facilities we service have become reliant on having someone here to deal with problems overnight as well. The pharmacy owner has stated that he'd never consider doing without a night shift now that he's seen what can be accomplished.

Such a true statement. I think now more than ever, starting out as an overnight would be insane/impossible in a retail setting (this is coming from someone who started out as an overnight as my first professional pharmacy job; only doable because I had soooo much prior experience & system know how to begin with)

Starting out as an overnighter in hospital as a new grad is also insane from the perspective of the employee and the hiring manager. You want someone who can make emergency decisions when there is no set protocol for the situation, so someone who has a decent amount of experience.

Last edited:
Starting out as an overnighter in hospital as a new grad is also insane from the perspective of the employee and the hiring manager. You want can make emergency decisions when there is no set protocol for the situation, so someone who has a decent amount of experience.
this x1000 - we have three overnight rphs- I am the lone "clinical" one - my operations partners all have tons of experience-we have almost 60 years combined experience between the three of us - but when we have fill ins (some of which are new grads) for either of us - it is scary the stories I hear - my director said he would never hire a new grad for nights because that is how sentinel events happen.

this x1000 - we have three overnight rphs- I am the lone "clinical" one - my operations partners all have tons of experience-we have almost 60 years combined experience between the three of us - but when we have fill ins (some of which are new grads) for either of us - it is scary the stories I hear - my director said he would never hire a new grad for nights because that is how sentinel events happen.
share some stories....

also some people always say, try to get in to hospital by applying to overnight then others say they won't look at people without experience for over night lol

share some stories....

also some people always say, try to get in to hospital by applying to overnight then others say they won't look at people without experience for over night lol
Different places have different thoughts - if your only job is to sit in the basement and check product, then ya - a new grad can do that. Also, are you on your own or do you have other people to bounce questions off of?

Just a few examples where new grads had situations that come with experience:
1. Not knowing the different dilutions for NICU vs peds vs adults
2. Verifying heparin drips on pt's without realizing they just took their dose of eliquis.
3. Not knowing the different Heparin protocols and what situation they are used for.
4. Verifying double anerobic coverage abx (not gonna kill someone, but not the right)
5. Verifying midodrine doses due at at 2100 (risk for hypertension/stroke)
6. a million and one issues that arise with clotting factor drugs and how to manage tramatic injuries in hemophiliac's
7. How to dose Humate P on VWM vs factor VIII

Different places have different thoughts - if your only job is to sit in the basement and check product, then ya - a new grad can do that. Also, are you on your own or do you have other people to bounce questions off of?

2. Verifying heparin drips on pt's without realizing they just took their dose of eliquis.
3. Not knowing the different Heparin protocols and what situation they are used for.
4. Verifying double anerobic coverage abx (not gonna kill someone, but not the right)
6. a million and one issues that arise with clotting factor drugs and how to manage tramatic injuries in hemophiliac's

Wow. Yeah. Sometimes, I honestly think to myself "This person better not be getting paid anywhere near what I'm getting paid."

Clotting factors seems to be a common issue among the new grads. I have a couple of those to add

1. Nurse asks for PCC (prothrombin complex concentrate) for a patient. Pharmacist states we don't have it (we have plenty of k-centra) and hangs up. Then asks us what PCC is.
2. Verified lovenox on a patient that just had a MTP (massive transfusion protocol) 6 hours ago from surgery.

• Wow

Wouldn't a duplicate therapy flag come up at verification?

share some stories....

my hospital hired a new grad for overnight position last year. He only lasted less than a year and it was pretty intense for him but he made it. He was by himself and I would help him as i work until midnight, but then he was by himself. Our other night shift pharmacist attends codes and is on the floor more, but he didn't and it isn't always required for our overnight pharmacists to do that.

So at my place, we have overlapping overnights on the weekdays, and solo on the weekends where on the weekends. When me or the other 7 on/7off guy take a vacation, then the overlap guy has to work alone.

So, somethings that I noticed the overlap guy doesn't know how to do:

1 - Make a nonstandard IV fluid (D12.5 or D10+1/2NS) from other ingredients.
2. Know the ABX spectrum of activity/coverage
3. How to calculate the appropriate vanco dose
4. Renal adjustments
5. How to recommend alternatives to docs or find solutions when docs want a treatment for something and don't know what to do.

The way I'm trying to get him up to speed is by making him take all the phone calls. If I help him, it's not good, he needs to know how to find the answers by himself.

This is the tricky thing though. Is it unethical for me to let him try to figure it out for himself and not help/double check him? I'm trying to get him to work as if there is no safety net.

So at my place, we have overlapping overnights on the weekdays, and solo on the weekends where on the weekends. When me or the other 7 on/7off guy take a vacation, then the overlap guy has to work alone.

4. Renal adjustments
5. How to recommend alternatives to docs or find solutions when docs want a treatment for something and don't know what to do.

The way I'm trying to get him up to speed is by making him take all the phone calls. If I help him, it's not good, he needs to know how to find the answers by himself.

This is the tricky thing though. Is it unethical for me to let him try to figure it out for himself and not help/double check him? I'm trying to get him to work as if there is no safety net.

It's not unethical- they should take every order, every phone call, and be able to know what they don;t know so they have the confidence to put a call on hold and look it up. They should only seek your help for workflow or clinical judgement scenarios.

This is the only time where you watching Netflix at work is warranted.

• Hmm
It's not unethical- they should take every order, every phone call, and be able to know what they don;t know so they have the confidence to put a call on hold and look it up. They should only seek your help for workflow or clinical judgement scenarios.

This is the only time where you watching Netflix at work is warranted.

Yeah, for now I'm just doing the ez **** like filling labels, checking pyxis, making easy IVs, and the cart fill.

I have 8 years total pharmacy experience and got offered $55/hr. However, we have a 25 percent differential and I get paid for 80 hours but only have to work 70. Shift diff applies to all 80 hours. $5500 per biweekly paycheck.

I spend most of the night listening to podcasts

I know #2 and none of the rest. I manage just fine and have done overnights for about 3 years before my current position.

I have 8 years total pharmacy experience and got offered $55/hr. However, we have a 25 percent differential and I get paid for 80 hours but only have to work 70. Shift diff applies to all 80 hours. $5500 per biweekly paycheck.

That's similar to us except paid 70 not 80 and differential I'd little lower.

Base is much higher though.

I know #2 and none of the rest. I manage just fine and have done overnights for about 3 years before my current position.
do those issues come up at your hospital very often? Obviously different hospitals see a different population - FWIW I am at a tertiary referral hospital so we get extremely sick patients -some of the items on the list could cause sentinel events if done incorrectly

4. Renal adjustments

If you are concerned, I would double check them (assuming you are training him) - if you have concerns, mgmt needs to know, he needs to learn, and by you doing all of his work, he won't learn -

do those issues come up at your hospital very often? Obviously different hospitals see a different population - FWIW I am at a tertiary referral hospital so we get extremely sick patients -some of the items on the list could cause sentinel events if done incorrectly
We have order sets in Epic so I don't have to figure most of this stuff out. Its the wonderful thing about CPOE

Wow 5500 a paycheck for 70 hours? That's pretty lucrative.....

• Wow
Wow 5500 a paycheck for 70 hours? That's pretty lucrative.....
Lucrative but that’s before taxes /deductions , insurance, retirement , etc . Chances are he or she is netting about $3k to $3.5k per pay period . Still a good check but not as much value these days considering how overworked one is in retail these days . Each year more and more tasks /endless responsibilities without corresponding pay increases .

Still a good check but not as much value these days considering how overworked one is in retail these days . Each year more and more tasks /endless responsibilities without corresponding pay increases .

Based on their responses, it seems like they're in hospital, not retail. So the increasing tasks/responsibilities thing may not necessarily be true. Generally speaking, night shift in hospital isn't overworked, though there are bad days.

Based on their responses, it seems like they're in hospital, not retail. So the increasing tasks/responsibilities thing may not necessarily be true. Generally speaking, night shift in hospital isn't overworked, though there are bad days.
Yea, true , just read that now . For hospital , it’s definitely good . I’m 8.5 years into retail at the red devil that starts with the letter in the name “William” and I am getting increasingly burned . I’m about to get the hell out. What used to feel like a good check now feels like “not much” with the chaos that retail is these days . 35 years old here . Started working as a pharmacist my first few shifts at age 26 just about to turn 27. Now at 35- it’s been a nice run but I’m feeling the burn more and more . Even with vacations I take all over the world , especially in the days before the pandemic , I now find even with nice, long trips, I just don’t even want to go to work . Every day is some new bs, new task ,new test . When will enough be enough ? It’s like a few techs I know have stated - these chains want to convert the pharmacy into a clinic and have the pharmacist be “almost” a PCP but without increasing pay and adding enough staff . I’m done with this and checked out . Sorry for the rant but just venting . At 8.5 years in, I won’t make it to the full decade . But hey, good run anyway because today’s new grads can’t handle retail for even 1 or 2 years .

Reactions: 4 users
Yea, true , just read that now . For hospital , it’s definitely good . I’m 8.5 years into retail at the red devil that starts with the letter in the name “William” and I am getting increasingly burned . I’m about to get the hell out. What used to feel like a good check now feels like “not much” with the chaos that retail is these days . 35 years old here . Started working as a pharmacist my first few shifts at age 26 just about to turn 27. Now at 35- it’s been a nice run but I’m feeling the burn more and more . Even with vacations I take all over the world , especially in the days before the pandemic , I now find even with nice, long trips, I just don’t even want to go to work . Every day is some new bs, new task ,new test . When will enough be enough ? It’s like a few techs I know have stated - these chains want to convert the pharmacy into a clinic and have the pharmacist be “almost” a PCP but without increasing pay and adding enough staff . I’m done with this and checked out . Sorry for the rant but just venting . At 8.5 years in, I won’t make it to the full decade . But hey, good run anyway because today’s new grads can’t handle retail for even 1 or 2 years .
What's your plan for your second act?

Depending on how big your hospital is.

If it is small, you will likely be alone or with a tech for the night with the bare minimum tasks, but there might be some weird situations that arise that you would have to make a judgment call on because you won't have a supervisor. Upside of that is you can do whatever you want during downtime.

Example: the ER ordered KCentra and it is really expensive. Instead of mixing it in the pharmacy and sending it up. I took it up physically to the ER to make at bedside and discovered the patient had already been transferred by the time I fixed the order for the prescriber, reentered it, looked up the mixing instructions for the drug, etc. If I had mixed it and sent it up, it would have been a $5-10k waste of money. Second time it was ordered, I physically took it there and mixed it bedside at the sacrifice of leaving the pharmacy alone (meaning no calls being answered etc).

Big hospital, you'll probably have to report to a night supervisor/manager, and work with a crew of other night shift pharmacists and techs, possibly each of you staffing a satellite pharmacy.