2022-2023 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @OatMuncher for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Eastern Virginia Secondary Essay Prompts (2000 character limit each)

1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.

5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

6. EVMS is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. Please explain in detail if you wish to respond. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc. (optional)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone received a secondary yet? This is the last one I'm waiting on.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS. Dead silence.

No One Page GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
OOS. Still waiting. This will be my last one...
Does anybody know if they do a fairly in-depth "holistic review" prior to sending secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS just received notification of an invitation to complete secondary. Still waiting on the actual link to the portal though

Reactions: 2 users
Same here...lol they sent me three same exact emails inviting me to complete their secondary. But no email with the link to their portal

There is a 2000 character limit on each question.
6. EVMS is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. Please explain in detail if you wish to respond. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
There is a 2000 character limit on each question.
6. EVMS is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. Please explain in detail if you wish to respond. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc.
My other diversity secondary responses have been based off my engineering background…do y’all think that fits in with what question 6 is asking or should I just leave it blank?

For 6, if we have experiences working with underserved populations, can we put that down?

Are they sending secondary in batches? Have not received yet 🥺

For 6, if we have experiences working with underserved populations, can we put that down?
I work with the intellectually/developmentally disabled population and think I'm going to. Especially because it's a large part of my journey to medicine as detailed in my personal statement, and I already have a few possible essays that could work from other secondaries.

Does anyone know where we are supposed to upload this photo of ourselves? The first email said in the "Documents" section, but all I can see is the main application.

IS and still haven’t received, verified 7/11 😳

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else get the email about a profile picture and prereq issue?

Reactions: 4 users
EVMS needs to get it together lol I have received like 10 emails from them in the past 24 hours lol

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
for #1 - briefly describe your exposure to medicine, do they want a brief recap of clinical experiences, or more of a description of the initial exposure that sparked your interest in medicine?

are we supposed to receive a complete email?
I submitted mine rather early and have yet to receive a complete email. Other schools that use the AAMC Gateway also seem to take forever to send complete emails.

are we supposed to receive a complete email?
I submitted mine rather early and have yet to receive a complete email. Other schools that use the AAMC Gateway also seem to take forever to send complete emails.
I submitted my essays on Thursday, then submitted my photo and pre-reqs yesterday evening. Got a complete email this morning.

for #1 - briefly describe your exposure to medicine, do they want a brief recap of clinical experiences, or more of a description of the initial exposure that sparked your interest in medicine?
I do not believe it needs to be solely about your initial exposure. It should be about all your clinical experiences as a whole.

For anyone who doesn't have access to a committee letter but is submitting more than 3 letters unrelated to the graduate program requirement, which 3 are you listing on your application? Should I go by their letter requirements and do my two science faculty and one non-science faculty, or should I use my two science faculty and a clinical supervisor at the job I held during my gap years? I assume that they'll review all 4 letters I'm sending regardless, but I just wanna cover my bases.

Marked complete today, 7/25, submitted 7/21