*** 2022-2023 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-PhD-NonTrad

M2 MD/PhD, In Clerkships
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023 cycle is here. Enjoy your thread and use it well class of 2031

@Fencer @Neuronix @neurodoc @Maebea

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted student here about to start summer rotations. This community was key to my success last cycle and I want to pay it forward. PM me and I'll be more than willing to read essays and offer some feedback!

• Love
I thought it might be helpful to leave some resources from the previous cycle in this year's thread. I don't intend on maintaining the graphs moving forward but you can access the data here.

Distribution of number of applicants with minimum 1 acceptance (Data from AAMC Courtesy of Fencer)
1654274040553.png

Distribution of interviews and acceptances by month (Data from SDN Interviews/Acceptances Threads)
1654274241353.png
1654274263418.png

Number of interview vs. acceptances (Data from SDN Interviews/Acceptances Threads)
1654274447244.png

##
## Call:
## lm(formula = acceptances ~ interviews, data = .)
##
## Residuals:
## Min 1Q Median 3Q Max
## -3.2580 -0.9216 -0.0117 0.5843 5.3486
##
## Coefficients:
## Estimate Std. Error t value Pr(>|t|)
## (Intercept) 0.40505 0.30220 1.340 0.184
## interviews 0.30331 0.03533 8.585 2.51e-13 ***
## ---
## Signif. codes: 0 '***' 0.001 '**' 0.01 '*' 0.05 '.' 0.1 ' ' 1
##
## Residual standard error: 1.49 on 90 degrees of freedom
## Multiple R-squared: 0.4502, Adjusted R-squared: 0.4441
## F-statistic: 73.7 on 1 and 90 DF, p-value: 2.512e-13

Application Cycle Tracking Website: You can track your cycle and contribute your data using CycleTrack. This is a new initiative created by several applicants from last cycle for crowdsourcing and aggregating information about admissions. You can see admissions actions at various schools here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Fencer Do you have any expectations/predictions on how many applicants we will have this year compared to the norm? When do you start seeing this cycle's data regarding number of applicants?

This is a bit of a naive question, but do most secondaries have to be completed in one sitting? I have obviously pre-written some answers, but in case the questions change from last year, once I open the secondary application do I have to complete it within that session? Is this something that varies on a school-by-school basis? TIA!

Once your application is verified, they a get transmitted to programs within 24 hours. Secondaries are typically triggered by program receiving the application. A better strategy is to apply/adding 5 schools every week. In that way, you spread out secondary applications.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a bit of a naive question, but do most secondaries have to be completed in one sitting? I have obviously pre-written some answers, but in case the questions change from last year, once I open the secondary application do I have to complete it within that session? Is this something that varies on a school-by-school basis? TIA!
In pretty much every case you can open and close the secondary as many times as you like until you are ready to submit it.

Reactions: 2 users
In pretty much every case you can open and close the secondary as many times as you like until you are ready to submit it.
I believe the only programs that required one sitting were OHSU and the ones which use the AAMC portal. However, you can open it and come back to it. Just no saving work in between.

Edit: oops replied to incorrect one. @panexm22

Hey everyone, two questions here:

should I count clinical research hours for the MD/PhD significant research hours question? I had a significant clinical research (part of my MME) but since my interest really lies in basic bio IDK if that will be important/looks good. Should I also talk about it in the 10000 character essay?

Should I mention one semester research course experience in my essay, which was not listed on my work/activities list? It was kind of my first real lab exposure so I really appreciated that opportunity and have a lot to say about it. I didn't mentioned that in my W/A section since it was already very research heavy (I'm applying to several MD schools as well) and not enough space.

Thank you for your insights!

Hey everyone, two questions here:

should I count clinical research hours for the MD/PhD significant research hours question? I had a significant clinical research (part of my MME) but since my interest really lies in basic bio IDK if that will be important/looks good. Should I also talk about it in the 10000 character essay?

Should I mention one semester research course experience in my essay, which was not listed on my work/activities list? It was kind of my first real lab exposure so I really appreciated that opportunity and have a lot to say about it. I didn't mentioned that in my W/A section since it was already very research heavy (I'm applying to several MD schools as well) and not enough space.

Thank you for your insights!
When I applied I used the significant research essay to basically trace my path from joining an undergraduate lab to working with a cancer center full time. This meant I included A LOT of experiences (Even smaller projects I did on the side for professors outside of class) because I thought it helped highlight the path I took to knowing I wanted a research career.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied I used the significant research essay to basically trace my path from joining an undergraduate lab to working with a cancer center full time. This meant I included A LOT of experiences (Even smaller projects I did on the side for professors outside of class) because I thought it helped highlight the path I took to knowing I wanted a research career.
Thanks! So I guess I will put everything in there for sure.

Hello All. I am a current MD/PhD applicant. I am hoping/planning to do a PhD in virology; I’m particularly interested in HIV/AIDS. I chose my school list partly looking for programs with an emphasis on infectious diseases/virology & those that have a Center For AIDS Research.

My question is: for listing the faculty that I’m interested in meeting or working with, would it be too narrow of focus to list only virology labs? (Particularly those schools that have 5+ HIV/AIDS labs that I’m interested in?)

I don’t want it to seem like I am ‘microbio or bust’- because I’m not. I could see myself working in any lab with a supportive PI and an interesting biomedical question.

Hello All. I am a current MD/PhD applicant. I am hoping/planning to do a PhD in virology; I’m particularly interested in HIV/AIDS. I chose my school list partly looking for programs with an emphasis on infectious diseases/virology & those that have a Center For AIDS Research.

My question is: for listing the faculty that I’m interested in meeting or working with, would it be too narrow of focus to list only virology labs? (Particularly those schools that have 5+ HIV/AIDS labs that I’m interested in?)

I don’t want it to seem like I am ‘microbio or bust’- because I’m not. I could see myself working in any lab with a supportive PI and an interesting biomedical question.
If they have abundant HIV or virology folks and that is your interest, then list them! If you find something else that additionally interests you and you want to get outside of your comfort zone, then do that too. I recall one school well known for their immuno bio program, I straight up just listed 8 ibio Tcell faculty and got the interview. So I think they knew I knew what I wanted. So n=1 but I say go for it.

How does this cycle look compared to the last one? Give me your best speculation

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! Best of luck to you all who are currently applying this cycle! I was very lucky to have had a very successful application process last cycle; therefore, if I could be of any assistances to anyone applying now or in the future, feel free to PM! You all got this!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know when IIs start going out? I see they have been for MD and I think I've heard before it's usually a little later for MD-PhD

Anyone know when IIs start going out? I see they have been for MD and I think I've heard before it's usually a little later for MD-PhD
Here's some data from CycleTrack on this. Looks like MD-PhD tends to come ~1/2 a month behind MD.

1658590265088.png

Reactions: 3 users
Basically the only MD/PhD that invites in July is STX. If it didn’t happen last week, it will be next week.

Hello all,

Looking for some opinions here. I included a pretty large high school summer research experience (>400 hrs) in my Significant Research Experience Essay as I got two publications out of it and thought that it would be weird not to mention it as it was a formative experience. However, I did not think to include it in my Works and Activities section as I thought high school experiences should generally be avoided. Will this discrepancy look weird? I'm worried that adcoms might be confused why I listed it in one section but not the other. I had extra spaces left in Works and Activities so I'm kicking myself a little bit...
Did you have any publications beyond those two listed/did you still list the pubs even if you didn’t list the experience?

Hey guys, I recently re-submitted both a first author manuscript to a lower IF journal and a middle author manuscript to a higher IF journal. Assuming we hear good things back about both of them (i.e. acceptances), how should I go about updating schools? I've already submitted my secondaries, and indicated that resubmission has occurred, but if they are accepted I would like to update my applications. Should I wait until I have information about both and submit it as one update to schools that accept pre-interview updates? If I get an interview somewhere, should I update those programs upon invitation to interview, or during the interview, or send an additional formal update afterward? Also, should I wait until they are both published/in press or update ASAP, i.e. as soon as they are accepted? TIA for the input!

Hello all,

Looking for some opinions here. I included a pretty large high school summer research experience (>400 hrs) in my Significant Research Experience Essay as I got two publications out of it and thought that it would be weird not to mention it as it was a formative experience. However, I did not think to include it in my Works and Activities section as I thought high school experiences should generally be avoided. Will this discrepancy look weird? I'm worried that adcoms might be confused why I listed it in one section but not the other. I had extra spaces left in Works and Activities so I'm kicking myself a little bit...
Hey, I had a summer internship for non biomedical research as a freshman that I included in my significant research but not my work and activities. It was brief and formative, but didn't have anything to do with the field I am interested in now. I just didn't feel like I had anything else to say about it, and choose to include a hobby in my work and activities instead. I feel like there is no one way to do this correctly, and I don't think this would confuse anyone.

Did you have any publications beyond those two listed/did you still list the pubs even if you didn’t list the experience?

Yes for both questions, I had publications from other experiences and I also listed the pubs from this experience.

Yes for both questions, I had publications from other experiences and I also listed the pubs from this experience.
Then yeah, don’t waste one of your W/A sections on a high school research experience if the important part (the pubs) are already listed. Put it on your SRE if it was formative.

But most importantly, get submitted ASAP!!

Hey, I had a summer internship for non biomedical research as a freshman that I included in my significant research but not my work and activities. It was brief and formative, but didn't have anything to do with the field I am interested in now. I just didn't feel like I had anything else to say about it, and choose to include a hobby in my work and activities instead. I feel like there is no one way to do this correctly, and I don't think this would confuse anyone.
Thanks for the encouragement! I have been submitted since Early July and am trying to finish secondaries now. Sometimes these neurotic worries just pop up in my head. I appreciate the reassurance.

Sorry for the double post, I'm just going to bump my question from earlier as I think it may have gotten lost in the larger conversation.
Hey guys, I recently re-submitted both a first author manuscript to a lower IF journal and a middle author manuscript to a higher IF journal. Assuming we hear good things back about both of them (i.e. acceptances), how should I go about updating schools? I've already submitted my secondaries, and indicated that resubmission has occurred, but if they are accepted I would like to update my applications. Should I wait until I have information about both and submit it as one update to schools that accept pre-interview updates? If I get an interview somewhere, should I update those programs upon invitation to interview, or during the interview, or send an additional formal update afterward? Also, should I wait until they are both published/in press or update ASAP, i.e. as soon as they are accepted? TIA for the input!
Thank you!

Sorry for the double post, I'm just going to bump my question from earlier as I think it may have gotten lost in the larger conversation.

Thank you!
I think different schools have different guidelines for post-secondary updates. Some schools seem to have places on their portals for updates, and some say explicitly they don't accept updates at all. Unfortunately, you may have to figure out the logistics on a school by school basis. As for whether you should update now or wait until you have more information, I am really not sure so if anyone else has advice on that I would also like to know!

Reactions: 1 users
If I remember correctly, there's usually a google calendar that lists all of the MD/PhD interview dates throughout the cycle compiled onto a single calendar. I've found the link on the AAMC website, but it has not been updated yet for this year. Any idea when it gets updated, or if it's still being maintained?

If I remember correctly, there's usually a google calendar that lists all of the MD/PhD interview dates throughout the cycle compiled onto a single calendar. I've found the link on the AAMC website, but it has not been updated yet for this year. Any idea when it gets updated, or if it's still being maintained?

It looks updated to me? There appear to be dates for Fall 2022, no idea if they're right or not.

Edit: I see, it's only a few schools that are on there. Maybe more will be added?

It looks updated to me? There appear to be dates for Fall 2022, no idea if they're right or not.

Wow looks like I spoke too soon, those few dates were not there yesterday when I asked my question. Yesterday morning it was completely empty for Fall 2022. I'd take the addition of some schools as a good sign, I hope more are added because this is a helpful resource imo.

Some completely unsolicited advice on that google calendar. I would only use it potentially much later in the cycle when you're planning out your second look visits (especially if they're in person). Please do not drive yourself crazy by trying to guess when schools will send out interview invites or use it to see which interview batch you were in. This is a very long, very stressful process that is made much worse by trying to predict things or comparing yourself to others.

You're all amazing applicants by virtue of choosing to apply to MD/PhD programs. Trust your application, don't try to predict anything, and NEVER compare yourself to others.

I hope to see some of you at my school next year!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Some completely unsolicited advice on that google calendar. I would only use it potentially much later in the cycle when you're planning out your second look visits (especially if they're in person). Please do not drive yourself crazy by trying to guess when schools will send out interview invites or use it to see which interview batch you were in. This is a very long, very stressful process that is made much worse by trying to predict things or comparing yourself to others.

You're all amazing applicants by virtue of choosing to apply to MD/PhD programs. Trust your application, don't try to predict anything, and NEVER compare yourself to others.

I hope to see some of you at my school next year!

This is a great reminder … thanks!

hey guys, I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions for interview resources that you guys have used to prepare? Thank you so much for all the contribution to this forum, it has been immensely helpful to me!

Does someone hear that Cornell or Columbia sent another II except the dates were listed above? How do these school operate? I submitted on July 14 for both schools. I did not hear any. Will I have a hope? Thank you all.

Does someone hear that Cornell or Columbia sent another II except the dates were listed above? How do these school operate? I submitted on July 14 for both schools. I did not hear any. Will I have a hope? Thank you all.
You can see some interview invitations here from this and last year. Application submission dates do not necessarily correlate with when you may receive an interview invite. Also, it's still extremely early in the interview season. You can receive an interview invite at any time before the final interview for each program.

• Love
You can see some interview invitations here from this and last year. Application submission dates do not necessarily correlate with when you may receive an interview invite. Also, it's still extremely early in the interview season. You can receive an interview invite at any time before the final interview for each program.
Thank you!

I just checked my Uni of Miami portal and have a message under the portal status for MD PHD that says my app has been reviewed but no final decision made. Does anyone else have a different status? Submitted I think August 1st.

I just checked my Uni of Miami portal and have a message under the portal status for MD PHD that says my app has been reviewed but no final decision made. Does anyone else have a different status? Submitted I think August 1st.
In my experience last year, "read" often means that your application has been received and is somewhere in the weeks/months-long review process.

I know it isn't fun to hear, but the cycle takes a long time. Stay strong, and get any remaining secondaries done ASAP. I finished my secondaries across August, and got IIs ranging from Sept to early Feb.

I know its still super early, but I'm anxious and am wondering when it would be best to update schools? For context, I currently have 0 publications, but 3 potential ones in limbo. The first is a mid-author and was preprinted in June, but is awaiting resubmission. The 2nd is a 2nd author and will hopefully be submitted in mid-September. The last one is another mid-author that must be submitted by October. Though each of these papers will be preprinted at the time of submission, they are all pretty large-scale projects and will likely take a long time (tbh probably after the admission cycle ends) to be reviewed. I'm wondering if I should update schools about submission since it doesn't mean that the paper will actually be accepted, or will having a preprint will count as something?
This could make for one very big update (that may or may not have much impact) after that third paper is submitted in October. Writing out like “hey guys, just wanted you to know I have these three papers that have been submitted to these journals. These ones are in preprint and these ones have comments.” Then include any new positions or grades or whatever. It’s not as impactful as a publication, but it is not unworthy of a fall update.

Also, round about October is when you should be sending your first updates.

Hi! For previous applicants, around when did you get most of your interviews? It looks like a lot of people have gotten several interviews already but I've heard nothing except for one rejection. I know it's still early but I'm a bit worried that the one rejection might be a bad sign.

I’m just going to paste a blurb from an old thread as I could not have said it better myself. Please be kind to yourself!

“A word of advice to current applicants: these threads are definitely helpful, it's good to know when a school has started sending out invites and acceptances. Last cycle, I (and many other applicants) would watch dejectedly as these threads filled up in July and August with the same three or four people receiving 10 or 15+ interview invites while our inboxes remained empty. The silence can be nerve-wracking and it's especially deafening when you're reading about other applicants who are seemingly drowning in attention from schools.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. A lot of us last year didn't receive our first interviews until late August or September. Keep your blinders up, you've put in a lot of work up until this point, and as long as you've applied rationally you'll be fine. Stop checking SDN so much for your own sanity.”

Reactions: 6 users
Are the applicants a same pool with gap and non-gap year?

Thank you!
There's one pool of applicants. @Fencer would know the breakdown better but I believe it's about 60% take gap years to 40% who do not.
"From 2013 to 2020, the prevalence of gaps rose from 53% to 75%, with the time usually spent doing research."

This metric is for accepted/current trainees, so does not directly reflect the applicant pool. Nevertheless, here is an article on this topic if you are interested: JCI Insight - Gaps between college and starting an MD-PhD program are adding years to physician-scientist training time

• Wow
Hi! For previous applicants, around when did you get most of your interviews? It looks like a lot of people have gotten several interviews already but I've heard nothing except for one rejection. I know it's still early but I'm a bit worried that the one rejection might be a bad sign.
Even for applicants who receive an excess of interviews, it is still very very early.

Ignoring MD only interviews, By this time last year, I only had 2 MD/PhD interview invites. Ended the cycle with 8.

It really is very very early. Don’t worry and don’t compare yourself to the heavy hitters from SDN. Everyone goes at their own pace.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone have a good template/advice for writing an MD/PhD CV? I have a general resume with all of my activities, but I am not sure how to format this specific one. Do I include bullets of my research projects and my skills, or would it be small paragraphs? Should I was include relevant upper level undergraduate courses I have taken? Do I include honors/awards/presentations and other non-clinical activities?

Hi there! Has anyone received an II from Emory? Their first interview date is coming up pretty soon and I am curious if they are going to send out stuff last minute or if I just did not get anything as of yet. Thanks!