*** 2022-2023 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Two of the schools that I'm waitlisted at don't show up for me on my AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool. Is this a cause for concern?
 
Really want some expectation management during the wait game... I am waitlisted by all schools that I interviewed with this cycle, and I am wondering whether people know about the waitlist movement of Vandy, Yale, and UCSF. From what I understand, all three schools only WL and do not give rejections after II? TYIA!
 
Really want some expectation management during the wait game... I am waitlisted by all schools that I interviewed with this cycle, and I am wondering whether people know about the waitlist movement of Vandy, Yale, and UCSF. From what I understand, all three schools only WL and do not give rejections after II? TYIA!
From my understanding, at Vandy, they just start calling people on the waitlist after extended offers have been declined by others. I suspect movement across the board sometime after second visits at the schools + April 15th + May 1st.

I cannot speak on not receiving a rejection though, sorry.
 
From my understanding, at Vandy, they just start calling people on the waitlist after extended offers have been declined by others. I suspect movement across the board sometime after second visits at the schools + April 15th + May 1st.

I cannot speak on not receiving a rejection though, sorry.
I really appreciate it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kind of a last minute question for the cohort before my first second look visit: if you met with PhD advisors/faculty of interest, what kind of questions do you ask them? I am definitely going to ask about their ongoing research outlook/mentorship style/other basic questions, but really want to see if there is something important that I'm potentially missing.
 
Hoping for some opinions: I was waitlisted at my top choice institution and wrote a letter of intent afterwards. I work for a T10 medical school and today my boss, a former clinic director and assoc. prof at the school, asked if I want him and the other clinicians/researchers on our team to send the program director a letter of support for my admission. He himself wrote me a letter of rec for the initial application. Is this a good idea? I don’t want to annoy the adcom but I’m willing to pull out all the stops to try to gain acceptance. I’m accepted at a few other programs but this one really is the best one for my family as a whole
 
hi, has anyone here gone to the second look for CU Anschutz and does not mind answering a few questions? feel free to comment or dm - any help is greatly appreciated!!
 
since it's been coming up in the einstein forum recently, just checking here to see if anyone here has any additional information beyond what was in the waitlist email!
 
I got an email from a program saying they expect to start picking from their waitlist this week. But I am assuming that next week is the week for most programs.
 
Ahh okay. Curious, did you hear this from their office? I haven’t gotten any communication from them since interviewing 🙁
ya I got an MD offer this week and was told that i'm still in consideration for the MD/PhD program. I know from connections that the initial picks/offers have already been made.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you will only see things on CYMS if you have at least one acceptance. If you have an acceptance, your WLs will also be shown.
Ah, I do hold an acceptance, and can see my other waitlisted schools on CYMS. I had to email the school to ask about the status of my application (interviewed last fall) so it probably means they didn’t seriously consider me 🥲 but thank you!
 
Ah, I do hold an acceptance, and can see my other waitlisted schools on CYMS. I had to email the school to ask about the status of my application (interviewed last fall) so it probably means they didn’t seriously consider me 🥲 but thank you!

I emailed a school after noticing the same thing and they resolved the issue and assured me I was still on their waitlist / in consideration. So I think an email is a good place to start.
 
This may be a stupid question, but I know by tomorrow we need to narrow down our acceptances to 1, withdraw from all other programs, and choose "plan to enroll" for the acceptance we are keeping...but is there a specific deadline by which we need to select "commit to enroll" for that same acceptance, or does it vary by school?
 
This may be a stupid question, but I know by tomorrow we need to narrow down our acceptances to 1, withdraw from all other programs, and choose "plan to enroll" for the acceptance we are keeping...but is there a specific deadline by which we need to select "commit to enroll" for that same acceptance, or does it vary by school?
It does vary so check your emails from the schools you are considering and their webpage as well.
 
I have a question for the 2023-2024 application cycle, but don't see a thread for that yet, so posting here: if I applied to a medical school in the past as an MD only applicant but will be applying to it this cycle as an MD/PhD applicant do I count as a reapplicant and should I indicate that I have applied to the medical school in question before on AMCAS?
 
I have a question for the 2023-2024 application cycle, but don't see a thread for that yet, so posting here: if I applied to a medical school in the past as an MD only applicant but will be applying to it this cycle as an MD/PhD applicant do I count as a reapplicant and should I indicate that I have applied to the medical school in question before on AMCAS?
I believe you do count as a reapplicant, at least that's what I selected.
 
For people on waitlists what happens if the classes are full? i.e. all current people with acceptances have selected commit to enroll and I am basically waiting for an A in vain. Do school usually notify or reject the remaining waitlisted applicants when they have a class full of accepted students who have committed, or would I have to reach out to find this info out?

Trying to gauge when to switch from hoping to prepping reapp.
 
For people on waitlists what happens if the classes are full? i.e. all current people with acceptances have selected commit to enroll and I am basically waiting for an A in vain. Do school usually notify or reject the remaining waitlisted applicants when they have a class full of accepted students who have committed, or would I have to reach out to find this info out?

Trying to gauge when to switch from hoping to prepping reapp.
I think this is probably school dependent, so its probably worth reaching out to adcom's at the school and reaffirming your interest/asking about waitlist movement