2022-2023 NIH Medical Research Scholars Program (MRSP) - Official thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StatsKing

Reaction score
I'm unaware of anyone applying and have not found any current threads on SDN or Reddit. I thought I'd start an official thread now that applications have closed to connect applicants and have questions answered!

Please comment here or PM if you're applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I received an interview this week for early march, format is virtual. Anyone else?

I guess I'll be only talking to myself haha. Not sure why the MRSP is so cryptic and information-limited, but I think that deters a lot of potential applicants. I'll continue adding to this thread to serve as a source of information for applicants in the coming cycles.

The virtual interviews are over two days during the first week of March. I'm unsure how many applied in total, but 92 total applicants are being interviewed for roughly ~50 spots (given previous years). Interviews are all day, 8:00am-4:30pm over both days. Interview times are dispersed throughout both days, with various meet and greats, presentations, and Q&A sessions. A total of three 30-minute interviews per person. They mentioned they will accommodate the schedule only for students with schedule exams and this from the west coast, so you don't need to be awake and interviewing at 5am.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW, not sure if others have already missed the chance to apply, but this is a great program. I highly recommend any medical student who is seriously interested in high impact research to apply.

Reactions: 4 users
FWIW, not sure if others have already missed the chance to apply, but this is a great program. I highly recommend any medical student who is seriously interested in high impact research to apply.
Agreed, very excited and hope I don't bomb my interview haha.

Is there any specific advantage of doing this vs sticking with school-specific research that could also be high impact?

Is there any specific advantage of doing this vs sticking with school-specific research that could also be high impact?
It’s paid. I’m sure some other experiences are also paid and can be positive, but I can say definitively this is a good one.

Coming from a school that really pushes students to apply. It's also a great way to network with researchers and students from other schools. The resources for career development at NIH are strong (knowing the people who work there). You are right that not to many people apply, and I'm not sure student affairs officers really know about it.

The down side may be the additional year of time you add to being a "student". Not all med school curricula are friendly to this until you get into clerkship full time.

Reactions: 1 users
roughly 1 week out from the interviews, received a list who will be interviewing me and at what times over the 2 days.

7 years ago I did a postbac at NIH and my mentor was doing the MRSP.
It's great opportunity. But it may or maynot be worth it depending on your PI. Because you may not get a pub

Reactions: 1 user
interviews complete, will hear back March 11th.

I received an acceptance email around 8:30am! Have until next friday to accept, then they’re going to the waitlist

Reactions: 4 users
I'm unaware of anyone applying and have not found any current threads on SDN or Reddit. I thought I'd start an official thread now that applications have closed to connect applicants and have questions answered!

Please comment here or PM if you're applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an acceptance email around 8:30am! Have until next friday to accept, then they’re going to the waitlist
Congratulations! I had never heard of the program until I stumbled on this thread today so thanks for making it! I'm starting med school in the fall and would love to get some research going. I'm interested in plastic and reconstructive surgery, do you think this program might offer some sort of research related to that?

Congratulations! I had never heard of the program until I stumbled on this thread today so thanks for making it! I'm starting med school in the fall and would love to get some research going. I'm interested in plastic and reconstructive surgery, do you think this program might offer some sort of research related to that?
Hi! Thank you! I have only been accepted and haven't started the program yet, so my answer will be limited. First, congrats on getting into med school! huge accomplishment.

Start by getting involved in some research going at your home institution. To my understanding, I don't thing the NIH has specific plastics/reconstructive surgery research, however, they likely have other stuff in basic/translational biology. I know some kids at my school interested in plastics do basic science research in things like collagen or tissue regeneration. With this said, the MRSP is more to teach you the skills to do research in your career, so as long as you're learning a lot, it really doesn't matter if it's in plastics or in something like nephrology. For example, the exact research I'm interested in isn't done at the NIH campus and that's fine with me. I'm just ding it to learn and build skill sfo the future.

I will revisit this thread later in the year or next year after I lean more about the program and the NIH. But before I forget, I want to talk about the interview a bit. So like I said, 3 total interviews of 30 minutes each. All my interviews went over the time limit (which is good I guess). one event went as long as 45-50 minutes because we had a good conversation going. The interviews are selected (at least somewhat) based on your research interest, which you state in your application.

Tip #1 -
interview is way chiller than med school. All the faculty researchers who interview you are nice and not trying to grill you.

Tip #2 - Make sure your Zoom setup is good, it may be virtual next year to. Surprised how many applicants wee in a dark or messy room with a crap webcam. People should know this by now.

Tip #3 - The convo is short and will be almost entirely research related. know your CV well, and all your research experiences. Know what you did, the results etc. If you're 12984th author on a paper from 2015, read the paper over and know it somewhat well even if you took little part in it. They won't grill you on it, but if you can't describe the paper its going to be a huge red flag.

Tip #4 - you will be told the interviewers a week in advance. Know who they are and what they research. You don't need to memorize their publications for the last 10 years, but if they study glioblastomas, know that. If they have an MD/phd, know that. I actually googled them and found clips of all of the, discussing their research at a conference or for some article or something. Not that I'm a stalker, but hearing them speak really helped me calm my nerves going into it. I felt like I already knew them.

Tip #5 - know potential labs/PIs at the NIH you'd be interested in working with. All 3 interviewers asked me this. Just have 1 or 2 people in mind. don't need to know much, just know what they study and why you'd like to join them. This shows you're interested and have done your research.

Tip #6 - Ask intelligent questions. Don't ask a question just to ask. For example, I asked an MD/PhD who interviewed me if he felt that the training received in MRSP would be sufficient for a research career, and if they'd suggest doing a post-doc fellowship or a residency with dedicated research time etc (long story short-yes. They said if you want to be competitive for NIH funding as an MD, you need to). They really apprecieted the question and went off.

Tip #7 - They will ALL ask where you see your career going. Have a general career/life plan

Tip #8 - THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP. They want and only want students who 1) are passionated about research and 2) will take FULL advantage of the program. This is how you'll get the interview in the first place (through your PS) and how you'll be accepted afterwards. Make sure if your interviewers take one thing home from the interview, its this. They don't give a **** if you go to HMS or UCSF, as long as you're passionate about research and hungry to learn.

Questions I remember being asked:

- tell me about yourself (duh)
- How'd you find out about the MRSP
- What about research interest you
- Have you had a chance to window shop and look at labs you might be interested joining
- Why are you interested in [specialty]
- What do you plan to accomplish in this program
- Where do you see yourself in 10, 20, 30 years
- If I was Melinda gates and gave you 1 billion dollars to spend on any research you want, what would you do with the money
- If I were to talk to Dr. _____ in the _____ Center about you joining her lab, what would I tell her
- Research is a lifelong commitment, do you see anything that could push you off this path in the future (I was honest, and said maybe a family could, but balance is key and something I will need to learn and navigate)
- One interviewer asked me about something interesting I did during undergrad, but that was more a curiosity thing.

Sorry for any typos, I did not look this over before posting

Reactions: 7 users
Bump. Applications for next year are now open.

Do you all think it's worth applying to this program if the specialty I'm considering isn't necessarily the most competitive? I am interested in this program since I love research and want protected time dedicated to doing it, but I am not sure if delaying my graduation for a year is worth it when I can just find residency programs that are more research-oriented. Any thoughts?

Bump. Applications for next year are now open.
What are your thoughts on the program so far? My school is encouraging people to apply and I'm really interested.

Do you all think it's worth applying to this program if the specialty I'm considering isn't necessarily the most competitive? I am interested in this program since I love research and want protected time dedicated to doing it, but I am not sure if delaying my graduation for a year is worth it when I can just find residency programs that are more research-oriented. Any thoughts?
^I am in the same exact boat. I want to pursue a non-competitive specialty but I'm very interested in a research career within the field.

Are there any students at your school that your student affairs office can point you to ask your questions? If a track record exists where your peers have gotten in, you need to know how well the school works with the students and how it might impact future residency selection.

I was kinda interested in applying for this but I assumed the competition for this just wasn't worth the hassle for applying. I remember applying for the NCI prebacc program after graduating from college and was rejected on day 1 once applications were closed.

Not as competitive as you might think. This cycle:

- 129 eligible applicants
- 93 interviews
- 51 accepted (some off the waitlist, so more than 51)

(These numbers are confirmed)

What are your thoughts on the program so far? My school is encouraging people to apply and I'm really interested.

^I am in the same exact boat. I want to pursue a non-competitive specialty but I'm very interested in a research career within the field.

Some are interested in neurosurgery, ophtho, urology, but most people in the program are interest in non-competitive specialties who have a passion for researc. at least 1/3 are plan to enter heme-onc.

Thanks for the helpful information. Would you know when the start dates are? Is it flexible?
I have an interview with them at the end of this month but I'm wondering about Step 2 timing and all that.

I will revisit this thread later in the year or next year after I lean more about the program and the NIH. But before I forget, I want to talk about the interview a bit. So like I said, 3 total interviews of 30 minutes each. All my interviews went over the time limit (which is good I guess). one event went as long as 45-50 minutes because we had a good conversation going. The interviews are selected (at least somewhat) based on your research interest, which you state in your application.

Tip #1 - interview is way chiller than med school. All the faculty researchers who interview you are nice and not trying to grill you.

Tip #2 - Make sure your Zoom setup is good, it may be virtual next year to. Surprised how many applicants wee in a dark or messy room with a crap webcam. People should know this by now.

Tip #3 - The convo is short and will be almost entirely research related. know your CV well, and all your research experiences. Know what you did, the results etc. If you're 12984th author on a paper from 2015, read the paper over and know it somewhat well even if you took little part in it. They won't grill you on it, but if you can't describe the paper its going to be a huge red flag.

Tip #4 - you will be told the interviewers a week in advance. Know who they are and what they research. You don't need to memorize their publications for the last 10 years, but if they study glioblastomas, know that. If they have an MD/phd, know that. I actually googled them and found clips of all of the, discussing their research at a conference or for some article or something. Not that I'm a stalker, but hearing them speak really helped me calm my nerves going into it. I felt like I already knew them.

Tip #5 - know potential labs/PIs at the NIH you'd be interested in working with. All 3 interviewers asked me this. Just have 1 or 2 people in mind. don't need to know much, just know what they study and why you'd like to join them. This shows you're interested and have done your research.

Tip #6 - Ask intelligent questions. Don't ask a question just to ask. For example, I asked an MD/PhD who interviewed me if he felt that the training received in MRSP would be sufficient for a research career, and if they'd suggest doing a post-doc fellowship or a residency with dedicated research time etc (long story short-yes. They said if you want to be competitive for NIH funding as an MD, you need to). They really apprecieted the question and went off.

Tip #7 - They will ALL ask where you see your career going. Have a general career/life plan

Tip #8 - THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP. They want and only want students who 1) are passionated about research and 2) will take FULL advantage of the program. This is how you'll get the interview in the first place (through your PS) and how you'll be accepted afterwards. Make sure if your interviewers take one thing home from the interview, its this. They don't give a **** if you go to HMS or UCSF, as long as you're passionate about research and hungry to learn.

Questions I remember being asked:

- tell me about yourself (duh)
- How'd you find out about the MRSP
- What about research interest you
- Have you had a chance to window shop and look at labs you might be interested joining
- Why are you interested in [specialty]
- What do you plan to accomplish in this program
- Where do you see yourself in 10, 20, 30 years
- If I was Melinda gates and gave you 1 billion dollars to spend on any research you want, what would you do with the money
- If I were to talk to Dr. _____ in the _____ Center about you joining her lab, what would I tell her
- Research is a lifelong commitment, do you see anything that could push you off this path in the future (I was honest, and said maybe a family could, but balance is key and something I will need to learn and navigate)
- One interviewer asked me about something interesting I did during undergrad, but that was more a curiosity thing.

Sorry for any typos, I did not look this over before posting
Hello,

Thank you for this detailed advice. I am looking into applying to the program this year once the application opens. I was wondering how you found the potential labs/PIs you were interested in at the NIH? Are there a pool of PI's that sign up for students from the MRSP program?

Also, any other insight now that you have been involved with the program? i.e. Would you do it again or do you have any regrets about participating?

Hello,

Thank you for this detailed advice. I am looking into applying to the program this year once the application opens. I was wondering how you found the potential labs/PIs you were interested in at the NIH? Are there a pool of PI's that sign up for students from the MRSP program?

Also, any other insight now that you have been involved with the program? i.e. Would you do it again or do you have any regrets about participating?
Unlike the Summer NIH research experience for medical students, or for post-bacs, you do not look find mentors prior to applying. You only reach out and contact mentors once you get accepted following interviews. You can, however, "window shop" if you'd like and drop some potential mentors in your PS or talk about them during interviews.

As for regrets, I have non. I would do it again if I had the chance.

Thank you for all the tips above! Do you have any advice for the application itself (i.e., personal statement and essays)?

Is this program something you do in a research year since it is a 10 to 12 month program? How could you do this during medical school?