2022-2023 UC Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @icedsoylatte for sharing this year's prompts

2022-2023 UC Riverside Secondary Essay Prompts

1. The mission of the UCR School of Medicine is to improve the health of the people of California and, especially, to serve Inland Southern California by training a diverse workforce of physicians and by developing innovative research and health care delivery programs that will improve the health of the medically underserved in the region and become models to be emulated throughout the state and nation. What experiences, skills, and abilities will you bring to the class to fulfill this mission? (250 words)

2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting. (250 words)

3. In what type of healthcare setting do you see yourself practicing medicine? (250 words)

4. Tell us about a personal challenge you have faced in your life thus far and how you demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome it. [Please do not write about studying for or taking the MCAT.] (250 words)

5. (Optional) If there is anything you would like the committee to consider about your candidacy that is not explained elsewhere in your application, please use this space to tell us. (250 words)

6. If you answered Yes, please explain your connection to Inland Southern California and the mission of the UC Riverside School of Medicine (100 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of California, Riverside - School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In UCR's website, they have very weird prereq credit requirments and I was wondering how this worked. For most other schools, they require the typical year of bio/chem/phy etc which is normally equal to 8 hours when including labs. However, UCR does not include labs in credit hour numbers so the prereqs are very unorthodox. When they ask for 8 semester hours of physics, does that mean i need to take 3 semesters of physics lectures to satisfy this? I have 8 credit hours of physics when including labs, but only 6 without labs meanign i would need to take another semester of physics which doesnt make much sense. Is this saying what I think it is saying, is it a mistake, or am i missing something here?

here is the link to their website for reference.

Program Prerequisites

Reactions: 1 user
In UCR's website, they have very weird prereq credit requirments and I was wondering how this worked. For most other schools, they require the typical year of bio/chem/phy etc which is normally equal to 8 hours when including labs. However, UCR does not include labs in credit hour numbers so the prereqs are very unorthodox. When they ask for 8 semester hours of physics, does that mean i need to take 3 semesters of physics lectures to satisfy this? I have 8 credit hours of physics when including labs, but only 6 without labs meanign i would need to take another semester of physics which doesnt make much sense. Is this saying what I think it is saying, is it a mistake, or am i missing something here?

here is the link to their website for reference.

Program Prerequisites
I have moved your post to the 2022-2023 UCR thread as I suspect other students will have the same question. Per the information from last cycle, you will be able to request a waiver:

2021-2022 UC Riverside

Members don't see this ad :)
Scroll down on their prerequisite page and you will see this:

Applicants Who Fail to Meet Minimum Unit Requirements​

Students who have completed the necessary coursework but still fall below minimal unit requirements will not be disqualified from receiving a secondary application or being admitted to the program and may not necessarily need to complete additional coursework.
Students who are invited to complete a secondary application will have the opportunity explain the circumstances to the admissions committee, which will assess the coursework and determine if the candidate is sufficiently academically prepared to enter the medical program.

is living in rowland heights considered a tie to UCR/Inland empire?

is living in rowland heights considered a tie to UCR/Inland empire?
Just based on geographic definitions, no. Based on my time in the IE, locals would probably argue that you're still part of LA county.

Could you please post the prompts?
@wysdoc

1. The mission of the UCR School of Medicine is to improve the health of the people of California and, especially, to serve Inland Southern California by training a diverse workforce of physicians and by developing innovative research and health care delivery programs that will improve the health of the medically underserved in the region and become models to be emulated throughout the state and nation. What experiences, skills, and abilities will you bring to the class to fulfill this mission? (250 words)

2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting. (250 words)

3. In what type of healthcare setting do you see yourself practicing medicine? (250 words)

4. Tell us about a personal challenge you have faced in your life thus far and how you demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome it. [Please do not write about studying for or taking the MCAT.] (250 words)

5. (Optional) If there is anything you would like the committee to consider about your candidacy that is not explained elsewhere in your application, please use this space to tell us. (250 words)

6. If you answered Yes, please explain your connection to Inland Southern California and the mission of the UC Riverside School of Medicine (100 words)

Reactions: 1 users
@wysdoc

Would you mind sharing the y/n question that precedes number 6? Just to have a clearer image of the prompt.

Would you mind sharing the y/n question that precedes number 6? Just to have a clearer image of the prompt.
I believe it was asking whether you have a connection to Inland Southern California or not

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish they would expand their focus on the orange county, LA county, and other regions that are close to the IE. I live 40 mins away and havent heard of anything, but people from OOS are getting secondaries already.

IS secondary received! Only AMCAS school to charge a fee for FAP applicants… 😠

• Sad
Anyone else facing issues accessing the application portal?

waiting for secondary! primary submitted tuesday! was already verified.

Secondary received 5:30pm (Pacific Standard), verified June 24th, in-state and Southern California (Non-Inland Empire).

The prompt for number 6 above is " 'Are you a non-California applicant?' If you answered Yes, please explain your connection to Inland Southern California and the mission of the UC Riverside School of Medicine." If no, there is no further need to elaborate.

Lol. I love it when secondaries show personality like this.

OOS here just praying for my chances or at least a secondary :/

Starting to get worried IS verified 6/27 and still no secondary. This is my top choice.

What do they mean by "healthcare setting" in question 3? Are they asking about your specialty of interest or the type of healthcare facility you want to work at (e.g., outpatient centers, nursing homes, hospitals, etc.)?

Does ucr send secondaries to everyone lol? im OOS and dont know if i should fill it out

IS with very strong ties to the inland empire, and no secondary

Reactions: 1 users
on MSAR it says they interviewed 1 OOS person is that true lol?
probably, they're very mission focused and want people who will serve the Inland Empire. It's recommended that most IS students shouldn't apply either

got secondary. IS, not in IE.
I would not apply if I was an OOS student! They take OOS on a case by case basis if you have ties to IE! I think having ties to Cali and being oos is not enough.

on the off chance of sounding dense, is there a way to access the portal if you haven't received a secondary yet? im IE, mission fit, within their stats range, and verified in mid June...so im confused

wait this makes me so sad :( I rly want to go but Im OOS with ties to northern cal :/

on the off chance of sounding dense, is there a way to access the portal if you haven't received a secondary yet? im IE, mission fit, within their stats range, and verified in mid June...so im confused
IE as well, pretty good stats, mission fit, verified in June, the exact same deal as you, no secondary. My buddy who is doing orientation this week for UCR said he got his secondary in late august last cycle and he's IE. I say just keep prewriting and wait it out.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received one. Is and in so cal close by. Finally!

Finally got my secondary! IS, live only 40 minutes away. Low stats but great mission fit!