2022-2023 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happy Bulbis Cordis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally got another decision...WL! Again! Time to resurrect this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Currently sitting on 2 WLs with 10 left to hear from, but most are likely WLs/Rs if historical trends are to be believed. Gonna be an interesting spring season. Good luck to everyone who joins the thread!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
On an alternate list for one, waiting for another, and waiting for the waitlist message from my third. Here to cheer you guys on and have company for the waitlist club lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I’ve been waiting for this thread! My first cycle, I never made it off two WLs. This cycle, I’m currently on one WL and waiting for another decision, though I’m not expecting good news. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Three WL. So disappointed. Have no idea what to do next. Letter of intent to one? Send grades from last semester? I'm kind of thinking if schools don't want me, they perhaps this is not my calling.

• Care
Three WL. So disappointed. Have no idea what to do next. Letter of intent to one? Send grades from last semester? I'm kind of thinking if schools don't want me, they perhaps this is not my calling.
Don't interpret these waitlists as a judgment of your suitability in medicine. One of these may turn into an acceptance. However, please recognize that there are simply too many qualified applicants for a very limited number of seats. If you don't get in this cycle, just know that many reapplicants get in subsequent cycles and go on to become excellent physicians. So don't let a negative result discourage you.

My favorite quote from 'the last lecture': "the brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want something badly enough."

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
Well, just got another WL. Two WL in one week. No other IIs :(

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Currently sitting on 2 WLs with 10 left to hear from, but most are likely WLs/Rs if historical trends are to be believed. Gonna be an interesting spring season. Good luck to everyone who joins the thread!
In a similar-ish position (many II no A). 10 left is a lot though, so I'm curious about what you mean by historical trends.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I’m definitely over the moon with the amount of interviews I’ve had considering my expectations were quite low entering the cycle. But, the reason I say historical trends is that I interviewed at a lot of schools early and if i were to receive an acceptance at most of them, I would have already received one from them based on when most of them historically release acceptances for earlier interviewees. And the schools I have left to hear from are way above the level I’m most competitive for or have very low post-II yields. So, overall, I’m anticipating taking a cycle off and then reapplying in 2024. Sorry for the rant, needed the vent.

• Care
Hello friends. last cycle 2II -> 2WL -> 2R. Back again with 3II -> 1WL, 1 deferment, 1 yet to hear back. Hoping for the best for everyone here.

• Care
Hello friends. last cycle 2II -> 2WL -> 2R. Back again with 3II -> 1WL, 1 deferment, 1 yet to hear back. Hoping for the best for everyone here.
I think deferment is better than WL because they just haven't been able to reach a decision yet but you could still get the A. Hope your pending decision pans out too.

• Care
Got on 4 waitlists this cycle. One turned into a rejection and the other 3 I’m still waiting. I also got 1 “delayed decision” from vermont.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I've had 4 II, and the 2 I've heard back from have turned into WLs. I have no confidence in my interview skills. I'll hear back from one of the schools soon but im not hopefull.

• Care
I have too many WL. Does anyone know about Pittsburgh’s waitlist and the percentage of getting off of it?

• Care
Heard back from half my IIs now and up to 3 WLs. How exciting. I'm terrified for the next ~3 weeks or so when the rest of my decisions come out, I feel like I'm slowly going crazy

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Feel for everyone here...
two WLs, one at my top choice :') and no As yet...
Trying so hard to cope until May... also trying to not get my hopes too high

• Care
  • Love
Hello all I’m so happy for this thread!! 3 II -> 2 WLs -> 1 no decision yet (I just haven’t heard)

There’s 3 other schools I haven’t heard anything from and I submitted my 2s. I’m really praying because I’ve heard the two schools have a lot of WL movement so really hoping here.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Add another II for a total of 4. Always an initial good feeling when I see the email invite, but then my anxiety creeps in and I think of the eventual increase in disappointment from more II leading to more R. I guess I had so much hope last year that one of my 2 WL would work out, and after months of waiting I became jaded towards the process and no longer find joy from the opportunity to interview, just another hoop leading towards failure.

• Care
Add another II for a total of 4. Always an initial good feeling when I see the email invite, but then my anxiety creeps in and I think of the eventual increase in disappointment from more II leading to more R. I guess I had so much hope last year that one of my 2 WL would work out, and after months of waiting I became jaded towards the process and no longer find joy from the opportunity to interview, just another hoop leading towards failure.
You just got another opportunity for an ACCEPTANCE. Keep that in mind going into this interview.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just got another II this morning too and pumped for another chance. But mine is scheduled out till end of March so looks like another ~2 month wait 😵‍💫

• Care
Just got another II this morning too and pumped for another chance. But mine is scheduled out till end of March so looks like another ~2 month wait 😵‍💫

My god, 10 interviews... I would put my life savings on you getting accepted. But I understand the stress.

• Care
Well, Mardi Gras has come and gone without any good news. I’ve set March 10th as my final worrisome date if I don’t have any good news. Hopefully the next few weeks give us all something good to celebrate!

• Care
My god, 10 interviews... I would put my life savings on you getting accepted. But I understand the stress.
Hahaha thank you... it's just that I know my interview skills are mediocre at best. But we will see in the upcoming weeks!

Well, Mardi Gras has come and gone without any good news. I’ve set March 10th as my final worrisome date if I don’t have any good news. Hopefully the next few weeks give us all something good to celebrate!
Agreed! Mine is 3/22.

Hello all I’m so happy for this thread!! 3 II -> 2 WLs -> 1 no decision yet (I just haven’t heard)

There’s 3 other schools I haven’t heard anything from and I submitted my 2s. I’m really praying because I’ve heard the two schools have a lot of WL movement so really hoping here.

Well I just got another WL so that makes 3 and I got a pre-II R. I’ve been getting very discouraged and frustrated. Any lifting spirits would help :)

Very grateful for this thread. Feeling so down by this process. I interviewed at my top choice (my state school) August 1st and have been on the continuing candidates list since. I was lucky to get more IIs (1 in December, 1 in January, and 3 in February which I have all completed), but I am so stressed because I have no idea when I will hear from any of those schools. I have no idea if I should be prepping for a re-app and I am feeling overwhelmed about it all.
Hang in there. There are many of us with you.

• Care
4 II, 4 WL, and one left to hear from, but I don’t have high hopes. I guess I’m a bad interviewer…it’s awful feeling like there’s something wrong with you that everyone else can see, but you don’t know what it is. Time to keep introspecting I guess. Stay strong everyone.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Yeah, I am currently on 3 WL and also feel like there is something wrong with me. It's been a stressful and busy application season, so I think I am just gonna use all this waiting time to give myself a break and go enjoy life a little at this point. Hope everyone is staying safe, healthy, and strong!

• Care
Yeah, I am currently on 3 WL and also feel like there is something wrong with me. It's been a stressful and busy application season, so I think I am just gonna use all this waiting time to give myself a break and go enjoy life a little at this point. Hope everyone is staying safe, healthy, and strong!
on the same page-- just going to trust the process I guess

• Care
4 II, 4 WL, and one left to hear from, but I don’t have high hopes. I guess I’m a bad interviewer…it’s awful feeling like there’s something wrong with you that everyone else can see, but you don’t know what it is. Time to keep introspecting I guess. Stay strong everyone.

Nah, you shouldn't feel that way--it's only going to psych you out for future interviews and shred your confidence if you start second guessing yourself. The truth is you can nail your interview and still get put on a WL for something like your stats or volunteer hours. It's always going to be something arbitrary (by necessity really) with so many good candidates at these schools. It's not an indication of your worth as a candidate or as a human being.

I say this as someone sitting on 2 WL and waiting on 3 other schools. It's agonizing, as neurotic pre-meds, to feel like things are out of our control and it absolutely feels like we should be doing ~something~ to influence the process, because that is how we operate--but the truth is there's not really anything to be done at this point. We have done the work and now we have to endure the grind of uncertainty.

It sucks and I hate it but this is the path we kinda chose. We will get through it!

• Care
  • Love
Nah, you shouldn't feel that way--it's only going to psych you out for future interviews and shred your confidence if you start second guessing yourself. The truth is you can nail your interview and still get put on a WL for something like your stats or volunteer hours. It's always going to be something arbitrary (by necessity really) with so many good candidates at these schools. It's not an indication of your worth as a candidate or as a human being.

I say this as someone sitting on 2 WL and waiting on 3 other schools. It's agonizing, as neurotic pre-meds, to feel like things are out of our control and it absolutely feels like we should be doing ~something~ to influence the process, because that is how we operate--but the truth is there's not really anything to be done at this point. We have done the work and now we have to endure the grind of uncertainty.

It sucks and I hate it but this is the path we kinda chose. We will get through it!
Agree with this 100%. For instance, I felt that one of my interviews went really, really well but then I got hit with the WL because according to them I don’t have enough clinical hours. So it’s definitely true that you can have a good interview and still be WL.

Agree with this 100%. For instance, I felt that one of my interviews went really, really well but then I got hit with the WL because according to them I don’t have enough clinical hours. So it’s definitely true that you can have a good interview and still be WL.
Yep. It blows, and it’s hard not to attribute it to some flaw in your personality given an interview is a big deal and feels so freakin close to the prize, but it’s part of the game.

How did you find out that that was the reason?

Waitlisted to 5 out of 6 schools (1 post II R). When May 1 comes, will the schools be able to see that I have WL’s/what schools I am WL to?
No. We never see where you applied, interviewed or were waitlisted. We can see if you are accepted to an MD school, but not where.

Hi!

I only received 1 interview this cycle and got waitlisted at the school. It sucks having put in so much work and energy, and not get any results.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
No. We never see where you applied, interviewed or were waitlisted. We can see if you are accepted to an MD school, but not where.
Is a school less likely to accept someone from their waitlist who has another A?

Hi!

I only received 1 interview this cycle and got waitlisted at the school. It sucks having put in so much work and energy, and not get any results.
I get it. If I don't get in now, I'm not sure I will ever get in. Can possibly get a better MCAT, but can't change who I am.

Is a school less likely to accept someone from their waitlist who has another A?
The closer it is to the first day of school, the more likely schools may be to take someone without an acceptance (no delay while they consider pros/cons/financial aid package...)

Hi friends!

Posting here because I’m stressed and near depressed about this cycle. So I have had 2 II’s so far. 1 from my top choice (WL), and still waiting to hear back from the other.

When I say I was gutted by the WL? Like it was such a terrible feeling. I cried ALL day and was like ok maybe it’s time to look at PhD programs. I got the 2nd II shortly after my waitlist which def spruced up my spirits. But I saw that people that interviewed the same day I did, got A’s yesterday.

This is technically my 3rd cycle (I withdrew my first app bc my MCAT score). And last cycle I got zero II’s. So for me to go from feeling like a failure to now 2 interviews has been great. But to get the WL almost made me spiral. It’s March and I feel really uneasy. Like what do I do if I don’t get off this waitlist? Or if I don’t hear positive news back from the school I recently interviewed at? My MCAT expires and I don’t think I can retake that exam again. Idk I feel scattered.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
Just got my third waitlist. Waiting to hear back from one more school which I don't feel so hopeful about. It's so demoralizing when I think about applying again and possibly being in the same place one year from now.
Any tips on staying sane until may?

• Care
Just remember that the entire process is closer to a crapshoot than a true indicator of your potential to become a great doctor. I heard this phrase from my advisor who used to be on the admissions committee for a md-phd program at my school for more than a decade, and he admittedly never figured out the entire process of admissions for medical school. There are only a limited number of spots for so many applicants, so it's not uncommon for equally highly qualified applicants to be placed on the waitlist. I learned that once I dissociated from the idea that being placed on the waitlist equals I am not good enough, I was able to better focus on other things in my life. I am sure as premeds we can continue to enjoy volunteering, our hobbies, research, or whatever it is that brings you joy!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Time for me to officially hop off this thread, I got my first acceptance today!!! I'm beyond ecstatic and still in disbelief honestly. God the wait was so excruciating but there are good things to come for you guys.

• Love
Reactions: 24 users
Time for me to officially hop off this thread, I got my first acceptance today!!! I'm beyond ecstatic and still in disbelief honestly. God the wait was so excruciating but there are good things to come for you guys.

Don't wanna say it, but I told you! Congrats!!!!

• Haha

Congratulations and good luck!!

• Love
Wonderful! Can you tell us where?

just got hit with my third WL which I was anticipating as they had a low post interview acceptance and I live OOS. But it still hurt 😞. It’s so mentally draining to sit post interview for a decision and even more so to know we have to wait till May for movement that might not even come. It’s even TOUGHER to not know what is causing you to be WLed, I retook my MCAT, have extensive volunteer and leadership experinces, and did mock interviews with students and my universities career services and director of premed department and they all said I did well. Not sure what I can do to improve, just an overall sad and depressing time 😕

• Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 19 users