2022-2023 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @jenkinss for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Yale Secondary Essay Prompts (500 word limit each)

Required Essay 1:
Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

Required Essay 2 (please select one of the following):
MD applicants: Please answer either one of the following questions
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

1. While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.
  2. Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.
Optional Section:
This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application. If you are a recent graduate, please also list your post-graduation plans/activities in the “Additional Information” section and submit any relevant updates for finalized plans/activities as the application year progresses. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Yale School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Incoming student here. The thread was super helpful to me. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Does Yale screen for secondaries? I've seen on Reddit that some applicants have already received it, but I have not, so I'm a little worried...

Members don't see this ad :)
For @wysdoc:
Required Essay 1:
Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (~500 words)

Required Essay 2 (please select one of the following): (~500 words)
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

1. While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.
  2. Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.
This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application. If you are a recent graduate, please also list your post-graduation plans/activities in the “Additional Information” section and submit any relevant updates for finalized plans/activities as the application year progresses. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For @wysdoc:
Required Essay 1:
Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

Required Essay 2 (please select one of the following):

any word or character count guidelines, @jenkinss ?

any word or character count guidelines, @jenkinss ?
All prompts are "approximately 500 words each."

I also added the optional prompt that was the same as last year:

Reactions: 1 user
When they are asking for us to list all of the courses taken online, is that only for the pre-med requirements or is that for all undergraduate classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
It says 2 semesters of biology lab required, I only did 1 and took 1 biochem lab, would that count?

It says 2 semesters of biology lab required, I only did 1 and took 1 biochem lab, would that count?
i have the same question, but for chemistry--I have 1 sem gen chem lab and 1 sem ochem lab, but not 2 of gen chem lab because my university only offers it in one semester. same thing for bio lab

I am running into the same issue. My school only has one 2-hour general bio lab and one 2-hour general chem lab. We can't be the only ones so I feel like its probably fine.... I will call and ask them tomorrow

When they are asking for us to list all of the courses taken online, is that only for the pre-med requirements or is that for all undergraduate classes?
I wouldn't think it would be a problem if you listed everything and clearly denoted which were pre-reqs, in the spirity of honesty if nothing else.

Last edited:
I have one semester of a general biology lab and one semester of a neuroscience lab. I emailed admissions yesterday, and they said that was sufficient to fulfill their requirement, so I'm sure biochem lab would also be fine?

For the question about online courses, how are people considering courses taken in Spring 2020 which went online after the pandemic and hybrid/online classes due to the pandemic in Fall 2020/Spring 2021?

For the question about online courses, how are people considering courses taken in Spring 2020 which went online after the pandemic and hybrid/online classes due to the pandemic in Fall 2020/Spring 2021?
For Spring 2020: I explictly noted that they were online from x month to y month because of campus closure.

For the rest: I explictly noted that their online nature was due to faculty/campus decision and not my own.

For Spring 2020: I explictly noted that they were online from x month to y month because of campus closure.

For the rest: I explictly noted that their online nature was due to faculty/campus decision and not my own.
Thanks so much!

For the activities portion, are you guys just listing your AMCAS activity titles? I am a bit confused as to the purpose of this section so I am not sure if I am doing it correctly.

For the activities portion, are you guys just listing your AMCAS activity titles? I am a bit confused as to the purpose of this section so I am not sure if I am doing it correctly.
I listed titles, general date ranges, and location if not explictly stated in the title.

You may include activities, achievements, and distinction beyond those that made it into your AMCAS application.

Any MD/PhD applicants here? How are you approaching the two research-oriented questions ... ? Feels like they're asking the same thing to me. :/

Any MD/PhD applicants here? How are you approaching the two research-oriented questions ... ? Feels like they're asking the same thing to me. :/
I'm applying MSTP - are there prompts in addition to the 3 pinned by wysdoc? (haven't gotten the secondary yet)

I emailed them over a week ago about having only 1 semester of general bio and general chem lab. No response so far. I am worried about delaying submitting my secondary to hear back. Should I just go ahead and submit the secondary and say that I meet the requirements and add in the comments section that my school only offered one semester of each?

i have the same question, but for chemistry--I have 1 sem gen chem lab and 1 sem ochem lab, but not 2 of gen chem lab because my university only offers it in one semester. same thing for bio lab
Hey! I was curious if you ever submitted?? I am still not sure what to put bc I only have one semester of both gen chem and bio lab. I emailed admissions over a week ago and no response.

Can someone please help me out here? I am reading this as "how will you advance diversity initiatives at our institution." Is this how other people see it? Or are people interpreting it as "what will you bring to your class?" I have different answers for both and am feeling stuck. Thanks in advance.

For the additional information section, where they say " list your post-graduation plans/activities", do they actually mean list/very brief descriptions? Or would it be okay to just submit a 500 word gap year essay?

Can someone please help me out here? I am reading this as "how will you advance diversity initiatives at our institution." Is this how other people see it? Or are people interpreting it as "what will you bring to your class?" I have different answers for both and am feeling stuck. Thanks in advance.
I think both readings are fair game. Go with the one that fills out your overall application better. I went with the later interpretation btw.

For the additional information section, where they say " list your post-graduation plans/activities", do they actually mean list/very brief descriptions? Or would it be okay to just submit a 500 word gap year essay?
I'd go with an essay if it goes into why you are doing the activit(ies). Good luck everyone...this is exhausting but let's all keep marching forth!

An essay is acceptable.

Can someone explain how to address "While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine"

Would it work to talk about a specific population and pursuing a specialty to serve them?

Is anyone else leaving the "Achievements and Distinctions" box empty? It's kind of sad but oh well.

Is anyone else leaving the "Achievements and Distinctions" box empty? It's kind of sad but oh well.
You can repeat activities (without their detailed passages) from your AMCAS application. I suggest not leaving it blank.

Hey! I was curious if you ever submitted?? I am still not sure what to put bc I only have one semester of both gen chem and bio lab. I emailed admissions over a week ago and no response.
Hi! so sorry, just saw this... i still haven't submitted yet, still unsure what to do haha

Hi! so sorry, just saw this... i still haven't submitted yet, still unsure what to do haha
I emailed admissions again and still no reply. So I ended up just submitting and putting a note in the comments about it!

.....did you ever find a good consensus for this? Lol personally I'm not even sure I understand the first research question. Do they want us to tell them how our research background will contribute to our PhD research or how our PhD research will contribute to scholarship (and patient care) at Yale? I feel like I'm def overthinking.....

"Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.
Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine."

for "which classes did you take online" are you guys listing literally every class online? or just the ones that fulfill reqs? like i have a bunch of random classes from the 2020-2021 year that are pretty irrelevant but were online

for "which classes did you take online" are you guys listing literally every class online? or just the ones that fulfill reqs? like i have a bunch of random classes from the 2020-2021 year that are pretty irrelevant but were online
I listed all of them.

Listing all online courses seems like a good approach. If that is the intent of the question and you only list prerequisites, you may encounter the question of, "Did this applicant take only their prerequisites online?"

Hello everyone! I’m a Canadian applicant applying to USMD for the first time, and I need some guidance on the secondary application timeline. I applied to Yale Med and I submitted my AMCAS on June 22 and my application was verified/processed by AMCAS on July 22. On Yale Med's website, it says “the email invitation should arrive within two weeks of submitting the AMCAS application to Yale” but I have not received anything yet. I was wondering if it refers to two weeks after the submission of my AMCAS application, or two weeks after AMCAS has processed my application? I emailed the Admissions Office and they said “You need to first request a secondary application from Yale. Once you do that, you’ll receive an invitation to apply within two weeks”. What is this request process they are referring to? I have never heard of requesting a secondary application before and I could not find any information on it. How and where do I request a secondary application? Any help and guidance are very much appreciated!

Hello everyone! I’m a Canadian applicant applying to USMD for the first time, and I need some guidance on the secondary application timeline. I applied to Yale Med and I submitted my AMCAS on June 22 and my application was verified/processed by AMCAS on July 22. On Yale Med's website, it says “the email invitation should arrive within two weeks of submitting the AMCAS application to Yale” but I have not received anything yet. I was wondering if it refers to two weeks after the submission of my AMCAS application, or two weeks after AMCAS has processed my application? I emailed the Admissions Office and they said “You need to first request a secondary application from Yale. Once you do that, you’ll receive an invitation to apply within two weeks”. What is this request process they are referring to? I have never heard of requesting a secondary application before and I could not find any information on it. How and where do I request a secondary application? Any help and guidance are very much appreciated!

Requesting a secondary probably means submitting your primary app to Yale, if I had to guess. But they don't send a secondary unless you're verified, and you were verified one business day ago. You'll be ok

Requesting a secondary probably means submitting your primary app to Yale, if I had to guess. But they don't send a secondary unless you're verified, and you were verified one business day ago. You'll be ok
I see. Thank you!

My secondary portal status tab says that my Letters of Recommendations status is "incomplete", but when I click on it, it shows that my 3 LoRs were received by YSM. Does anyone know why this is the case? Do I need more LoRs?

In the activities section, it says that "If you are graduating in this application cycle/year, please submit an update on your post-graduation plans/activities once they are finalized". Does that mean I should enter a post-grad plan in the additional information section like an applicant who already graduated, or will I be prompted to do that at a later date? If I do have to enter a post-grad plan, should I do two versions, one based on getting a med admission and one based on not?