SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2022 HSPS/HSCP

Discussion in 'Military Dentistry' started by Blueshirts, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:19 PM.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Blueshirts

Blueshirts 2+ Year Member

May 3, 2014
    Anyone applying for the scholarships this year? I haven't seen any threads yet.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AVB2104

AVB2104 2+ Year Member

May 17, 2013
    4th year student here on HSCP. Happy to answer any questions you guys might have

4. caffeine jitters

caffeine jitters

Apr 1, 2017
    I applied for Navy HPSP. There are quite a few people who are applying / have applied based on what I have seen

5. Blueshirts

May 3, 2014
    Do you have any idea about how HSCP is prioritized? For example, if I am firstly seeking out to get the HSCP instead of applying for the HSPS, will I have a better shot at receiving the scholarship? I know that typically people will apply for both and prioritize HSPS, but have been wondering if the HSCP is given out first to people who have that as their first choice, or if the scholarship is given out at a later date after a good number of HSPS are given out, since it is usually the same individuals competing for them both. I probably have a few more questions if possible about the HSCP also, but will try to limit them to one at a time

6. AVB2104

AVB2104 2+ Year Member

May 17, 2013
    When I applied for the scholarship I put down only HPSP as my choice. However when the results came back my recruiter said I was way down on the waitlist because of my late application and that I would have a much better chance of receiving HSCP. I did some research and found out that the pay is pretty decent for the school I was about to attend. He then resubmitted my application and put down HSCP instead. A week or two later he told me I had been selected.
    I’m not sure if HSCP will be given out first if you only apply for it but in my opinion HSCP is a back up for people who didn’t get HPSP.

Any more questions just let me know.

7. Blueshirts

May 3, 2014
    Was acceptance contigent on first having a school acceptance? What month did they offer the HSCP?

8. AVB2104

AVB2104 2+ Year Member

May 17, 2013
    I believe I found out in around March. And yes I believe you needed an acceptance

9. Blueshirts

May 3, 2014
    How difficult do you feel it is to manage your physical readiness for PT tests during the year? Is it hard to squeeze in the gym hours with the amount of time dedicated to being in class/studying?

10. GJMeig

GJMeig 2+ Year Member

Jul 1, 2013
    You don’t have PT tests while you are in dental school for HPSP. Just when you go to whatever basic training course your branch has and then when you get to your duty station. You can always make time to get to the gym, just have to manage your time well. It’s not as bad as most people make it out to seem on SDN.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 9:14 AM
  11. AVB2104

AVB2104 2+ Year Member

May 17, 2013
    if you are on HSCP you are required to attend a bi-annual physical readiness test(usually conducted on a Saturday morning in october and may). The test consists of 1.5 mile run, push-ups, and sit-ups. It is very easy to pass the test.