2022 HSPS/HSCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blueshirts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying for the scholarships this year? I haven't seen any threads yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for Navy HPSP. There are quite a few people who are applying / have applied based on what I have seen

Members don't see this ad :)
4th year student here on HSCP. Happy to answer any questions you guys might have
Do you have any idea about how HSCP is prioritized? For example, if I am firstly seeking out to get the HSCP instead of applying for the HSPS, will I have a better shot at receiving the scholarship? I know that typically people will apply for both and prioritize HSPS, but have been wondering if the HSCP is given out first to people who have that as their first choice, or if the scholarship is given out at a later date after a good number of HSPS are given out, since it is usually the same individuals competing for them both. I probably have a few more questions if possible about the HSCP also, but will try to limit them to one at a time

Do you have any idea about how HSCP is prioritized? For example, if I am firstly seeking out to get the HSCP instead of applying for the HSPS, will I have a better shot at receiving the scholarship? I know that typically people will apply for both and prioritize HSPS, but have been wondering if the HSCP is given out first to people who have that as their first choice, or if the scholarship is given out at a later date after a good number of HSPS are given out, since it is usually the same individuals competing for them both. I probably have a few more questions if possible about the HSCP also, but will try to limit them to one at a time

When I applied for the scholarship I put down only HPSP as my choice. However when the results came back my recruiter said I was way down on the waitlist because of my late application and that I would have a much better chance of receiving HSCP. I did some research and found out that the pay is pretty decent for the school I was about to attend. He then resubmitted my application and put down HSCP instead. A week or two later he told me I had been selected.
I’m not sure if HSCP will be given out first if you only apply for it but in my opinion HSCP is a back up for people who didn’t get HPSP.

Any more questions just let me know.

When I applied for the scholarship I put down only HPSP as my choice. However when the results came back my recruiter said I was way down on the waitlist because of my late application and that I would have a much better chance of receiving HSCP. I did some research and found out that the pay is pretty decent for the school I was about to attend. He then resubmitted my application and put down HSCP instead. A week or two later he told me I had been selected.
I’m not sure if HSCP will be given out first if you only apply for it but in my opinion HSCP is a back up for people who didn’t get HPSP.

Was acceptance contigent on first having a school acceptance? What month did they offer the HSCP?

How difficult do you feel it is to manage your physical readiness for PT tests during the year? Is it hard to squeeze in the gym hours with the amount of time dedicated to being in class/studying?

How difficult do you feel it is to manage your physical readiness for PT tests during the year? Is it hard to squeeze in the gym hours with the amount of time dedicated to being in class/studying?

You don’t have PT tests while you are in dental school for HPSP. Just when you go to whatever basic training course your branch has and then when you get to your duty station. You can always make time to get to the gym, just have to manage your time well. It’s not as bad as most people make it out to seem on SDN.

Last edited:

if you are on HSCP you are required to attend a bi-annual physical readiness test(usually conducted on a Saturday morning in october and may). The test consists of 1.5 mile run, push-ups, and sit-ups. It is very easy to pass the test.

Is HSCP limited to 4 year scholarships or do 3 years also exist?

What would you say are the things that you are most excited to experience as a Navy dentist? What made you want to go this route? Have you met any other people with military scholarahips while at school?

Im most excited for the opportunity to travel the world while working and getting paid. I value financial freedom very highly but at the same time am open to what the navy has to offer in terms of career growth . I have met tons of people who are currently in the scholarship program as well as ones who are serving and have served in the service. I weighed the pros and cons and to me the pros far outweigh the cons..
What would you say are the things that you are most excited to experience as a Navy dentist? What made you want to go this route? Have you met any other people with military scholarahips while at school?

If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your HPSP packet? Trying to submit everything by early January and worried ill be too late.

I am considering a HSPS scholarship but would really like to do pathology/neuropathology/neurology. Is there a chance I can actually do any of these with the air force or will they pretty much make me do a certain residency? What are the most common residencies as there are others I would consider. I really want to serve my country and will most likely do it anyways regardless of the outcome I was just curious. PCP is at the very bottom of my list.

I am considering a HSPS scholarship but would really like to do pathology/neuropathology/neurology. Is there a chance I can actually do any of these with the air force or will they pretty much make me do a certain residency? What are the most common residencies as there are others I would consider. I really want to serve my country and will most likely do it anyways regardless of the outcome I was just curious. PCP is at the very bottom of my list.

First it’s HPSP NOT HSPS. Second, this is the dental forum not medical.

Reactions: 1 user