2022 transfer prior to starting

Started by TXRads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TXRads

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So thankfully I matched into a TY and DR program this cycle, but unfortunately the location has put a lot of strain on my personal relationships. Being away from family for another 5 years will be rough and this has put my SO in a difficult position because she does not really like the programs in this city in her preferred specialty and she does not want to do long distance.

There was a posting on residentswap.org today about possibly a new program in a much much better location that I am interested in, and I want to send in my stuff but my 3 letters of recommendation are stuck in ERAS, one of them being from faculty at my current program so I don't feel comfortable asking them. So my first questions is, does anyone know of a way I could use my ERAS letters outside of ERAS?

Secondly, what exactly are the logistics of doing something like this? Do I keep my current program in the dark while I explore options? Or should I let them know so they could potentially find a replacement? If I do tell them I am interested in transferring out do I risk my current spot? Could they replace me even if I didn't find a spot to transfer to?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.
 
You're supposed to obtain a waiver from the NRMP before you initiate an inquiry with another program prior to completing 45 days of your matched program. If you do not, you risk a sanction from the NRMP for violating your match agreement (if anyone like your matched program turns you in). Typically the sanction is transient and just a stain on your record, but rarely it can affect your fellowship match (either you are flagged as a violator or you are barred from participating).