2023-2024 Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan P

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently been rejected from most of the schools I applied to. My main problem was that I applied very late in the cycle (late September) and am curious how much this impacted my application. Also I was hoping for some advice on what I could do differently, or what I could do during a gap year to help improve my application.

My top choice was UB and my stats were 3.5 gpa, DAT 21 AA, 19 TS, 21 PAT, 26 RC, QR 22.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have recently been rejected from most of the schools I applied to. My main problem was that I applied very late in the cycle (late September) and am curious how much this impacted my application. Also I was hoping for some advice on what I could do differently, or what I could do during a gap year to help improve my application.

My top choice was UB and my stats were 3.6 gpa, DAT 21 AA, 19 TS, 21 PAT, 26 RC, QR 22.
UB?

fill out a full WAMC template...

I applied late (oct 26th dat verified) also, now rutgers and Ub are waitlited.

Touro interview on 3/20

Rest of them got ghosted or denied.

DAT AA 24 and TS25

I am going to take more upper level course to strength my app if I wont get off waitlist by april for next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Date of Submission: Sep 29th
Overall GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.52
Bio-Chem-Phys GPA: 3.54
DAT Score: 21 AA, 19 TS, 21 PAT, 26 RC, QR 22
State of Residence: New York (upstate)

Undergrad Attended: Binghamton University
Major: Biology
Minor: none
Minority: no
Reapplicant: no
Non Trad: no

Shadowing Experience: 110 in general dentistry
Volunteering Experience: Binghamton Students for Autism Acceptance, an hour every other week plus some events on the weekends.
Employment: I worked at an aquatic facility as a lifeguard/manager for 5 years. During the final year I was responsible for the entire department and was responsible for managing aprox 70 people. During this I was responsible for all of the hiring, training, scheduling, and day to day management for the entire summer. This was my main leadership experience and I hoped that it helped me to stand out as an applicant, it would be great to get feedback on this.
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: Binghamton Pre-Dental Association, an hour every other week.
Relevant Honors: Deans List Fall 2020, Fall 2022, Fall 2023.
LOR type and Strength: Committee Letter written by director of pre-health at Binghamton. I have not seen a copy myself but have heard from previous dental students that schools are typically impressed by the letter.
Misc Info: I am aware that I applied very late within the cycle and I know that this hurt me a lot. I am curious if this was the main issue with my application or if there were some serious problems elsewhere that I could address during a gap year.

School List:
Pitt - Rejected
University of Michigan - Rejected
University at Buffalo - Rejected
University of Pennsylvania - Probably Rejected

Date of Submission: Sep 29th
Overall GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.52
Bio-Chem-Phys GPA: 3.54
DAT Score: 21 AA, 19 TS, 21 PAT, 26 RC, QR 22
State of Residence: New York (upstate)

Undergrad Attended: Binghamton University
Major: Biology
Minor: none
Minority: no
Reapplicant: no
Non Trad: no

Shadowing Experience: 110 in general dentistry
Volunteering Experience: Binghamton Students for Autism Acceptance, an hour every other week plus some events on the weekends.
Employment: I worked at an aquatic facility as a lifeguard/manager for 5 years. During the final year I was responsible for the entire department and was responsible for managing aprox 70 people. During this I was responsible for all of the hiring, training, scheduling, and day to day management for the entire summer. This was my main leadership experience and I hoped that it helped me to stand out as an applicant, it would be great to get feedback on this.
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: Binghamton Pre-Dental Association, an hour every other week.
Relevant Honors: Deans List Fall 2020, Fall 2022, Fall 2023.
LOR type and Strength: Committee Letter written by director of pre-health at Binghamton. I have not seen a copy myself but have heard from previous dental students that schools are typically impressed by the letter.
Misc Info: I am aware that I applied very late within the cycle and I know that this hurt me a lot. I am curious if this was the main issue with my application or if there were some serious problems elsewhere that I could address during a gap year.

School List:
Pitt - Rejected
University of Michigan - Rejected
University at Buffalo - Rejected
University of Pennsylvania - Probably Rejected
late application, plus average grades and below average TS (average matriculant is 3.55 GPA, 20.5DAT) very short school list with 2 reach schools were the issues should improve your chances
do you think you could do better if you retook the DAT?

apply early, and have a broad, well researched school list with a range of a few reach schools, a bunch of in-range schools, and a few safety schools

late application, plus average grades and below average TS (average matriculant is 3.55 GPA, 20.5DAT) very short school list with 2 reach schools were the issues should improve your chances

apply early, and have a broad, well researched school list with a range of a few reach schools, a bunch of in-range schools, and a few safety schools
Thank you!

late application, plus average grades and below average TS (average matriculant is 3.55 GPA, 20.5DAT) very short school list with 2 reach schools were the issues
should improve your chances