206 usmle score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoe7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a 3rd year International medical student with a usmle score of a 206... Do I stand any chance at all of matching into a neurosurgery program even if I get multiple research publications, do multiple sub-Is, and basically do a lot of outside leg work... I would be willing to go anywhere to do it.. THanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Based purely on your score alone, had you been an applicant in the Match of 2011, you would have had an 8/11 or 72.7% chance of matching. Had you been an applicant in the Match of 2009, you would have had a 9/15 or 60% chance of matching. So the answer to your question is undoubtably yes. And to be more specific you historically have greater than a 50% chance of matching with your Step 1 score.

Based purely on your score alone, had you been an applicant in the Match of 2011, you would have had an 8/11 or 72.7% chance of matching. Had you been an applicant in the Match of 2009, you would have had a 9/15 or 60% chance of matching. So the answer to your question is undoubtably yes. And to be more specific you historically have greater than a 50% chance of matching with your Step 1 score.

No. In 2011 1/9 (11%) of International applicants with scores between 201 and 210 matched. Also you definitely can't apply pure frequentist statistics to the match data, particularly at the extremes. My estimate: much less than 11% without a significant personal or institutional connection (i.e. multiple year research fellowship, or prior career in neurosurgery abroad).

No. In 2011 1/9 (11%) of International applicants with scores between 201 and 210 matched. Also you definitely can't apply pure frequentist statistics to the match data, particularly at the extremes. My estimate: much less than 11% without a significant personal or institutional connection (i.e. multiple year research fellowship, or prior career in neurosurgery abroad).

phenylacetone - yes you are completely right. I missed the part about being an international applicant. I completely agree with you about applying statistics to the extremes. My mistake. Thank you for the correction. :thumbup: