Low Step 1 Score Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ak07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's even worth applying to neurosurgery with a 228 on Step 1? Assuming I can get a 255+ on step 2 CK, honors/high pass all clerkships, get some neurosurgery pubs, and good letters, are my chances farfetched? I'm not a 228 student. I just got unlucky with personal crap that held me back during first 2 years, and I don't want one test to decide the rest of my life for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if it's even worth applying to neurosurgery with a 228 on Step 1? Assuming I can get a 255+ on step 2 CK, honors/high pass all clerkships, get some neurosurgery pubs, and good letters, are my chances farfetched? I'm not a 228 student. I just got unlucky with personal crap that held me back during first 2 years, and I don't want one test to decide the rest of my life for me.
I’m all for trying to get the 260 on step 2 but you need to acknowledge that you actually are a 228 student now. Maybe you can be the rare one who pulls off a reinvention but that’s what you are dealing with...work on what you think kept you from a 250 this time.

Good luck and I’m sorry

Reactions: 2 users
I’m all for trying to get the 260 on step 2 but you need to acknowledge that you actually are a 228 student now. Maybe you can be the rare one who pulls off a reinvention but that’s what you are dealing with...work on what you think kept you from a 250 this time.

Good luck and I’m sorry
Yeah dude, I know. I'm not delusional. I know it must seem tempting to scoff at a student who has a 228 but is claiming he can score higher. The fact of the matter is I was at the top of my class scoring very well on NBME-based final exams up until I was hit with significant personal issues outside of the classroom. I know exactly why I could not break 250 last time, and that thing is no longer an issue. I just wanted to know if it would make a difference or if my effort would be wasted. Thanks for taking the time to respond, dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
What school / tier of school are you coming from? Feel free to PM me if you’d like to provide details you don’t want to provide in public.

What school / tier of school are you coming from? Feel free to PM me if you’d like to provide details you don’t want to provide in public.
Thanks I sent you a message.

Yeah dude, I know. I'm not delusional. I know it must seem tempting to scoff at a student who has a 228 but is claiming he can score higher. The fact of the matter is I was at the top of my class scoring very well on NBME-based final exams up until I was hit with significant personal issues outside of the classroom. I know exactly why I could not break 250 last time, and that thing is no longer an issue. I just wanted to know if it would make a difference or if my effort would be wasted. Thanks for taking the time to respond, dude.

Sorry bro you’re a 228 now and neurosurgery only looks at 240+

Step 2 never really makes up for step 1 fully unfortunately. Take a year or two off and have 20 pubs and you'll be in a good place.
Yeah, I get that feeling from people in the field that I talk to. Thanks for the advice!

Sorry if this is considered hijacking a thread. I'll delete if it's frowned upon.

Any thoughts about a student with 3x P (IM/neurology/FM), 2x HP (psychiatry/OBGYN), 2x Honors (pediatrics/surgery)? Overall I don't want to make excuses for my subpar performance. Took long to adjust to new environment and new pace of studying in clinical years, and it's my issue for taking so long to get the hang of things. I also think I was too involved in other things during my clinical years and let my scholarly interests outside rotation duties/studying overwhelm me.

Our school has Step 1 after clinicals in M2 so I still have to take Step 1/Step 2. I plan on taking a year off to pursue a masters and do a lot of research. As @mmmcdowe mentioned above, I wouldn't mind taking 2 years off if that's what it takes to help me stay viable for a spot in neurosurgery residency.

I have 2x basic science papers in cancer immunotherapy, 2x papers in surgery resident education, and 1x neurosurgery paper. I've been helping teach 4x courses ever since my M1 year. Also involved in a few other things related to research and scholarly writing.

School has a strong home department, and I have a decent relationship with one of the neurosurgeons.

Appreciate all the input!

It really depends on your step one score and your neurosurgery research output.

As a pro tip I would focus more on the doing too much excuse not the taking too long to adapt. Someone who takes a long time to adapt is going to be perceived as someone who will struggle in neurosurgery residency

Reactions: 1 user